Log: Getting As Strong As When I Was 25 By The Time I'm 40

Royz

December 14th 2015

45 degree incline press

5x5x82,5kg

Done in an odd way. Set up barbell in front of bench, powerclean barbell to shoulders then sit down on bench and perform reps. This way I get the same set up I would with overhead presses. I can actually press about 20kg! less this way compaired to doing them the regular way(also because this bench was more inclined), but hopefully it will give me better carryover to my overhead press.

Grippers

Right:

TNS 10xghp4/ 10xghp4/ 10xghp4

Clicks/holds 5 sets xghp5

Left:

NS 6xghp4/ 6ghp4/ 6xghp4

Clicks/holds 5 sets xghp5

Hands still tired from friday...

Dips

2x5xbw+50kg

Dumbbell rows

2x12x63kg

DU pull downs

10x100kg/ 6x110kg/ 6x110kg

Standing fingercurls

Do 10x100kg/ DU 10x100kg/ DO 10x100kg/ DU 10x100kg

Finisher medley

One arm Kettlebell overhead walking lunges

Battleropes

Ab plank

Ab machine

Done twice

December 17th

Squats

up to 5x142,5kg

Paused DO deads

with 3 sec.pause mid shin

4x3x160kg

Going to do these a couple of time more. Really makes you aware of two things: staying tight during hardest part of the lift and really driving with your legs when you do the rest of the pull.

One arm braced dumbbell overhead press

5x5x32kg

Blob trainer

4x3x23,25kg

Step ups with dumbbells

2x10x40kg

Plate curls

5x5x15kg

Much harder when I've already done the blobthing.

Finishing medley

Including:

- Hanging knee raises, feet touching hands

- KB swings

- Ab machine

- Battle ropes

- Ab wheel rollouts

- Battle ropes again

Edited by Royz

• 2 weeks later...

December 28th 2015

Probably the last one this year... Have not been training much lately due to the holidays and christmas and such. Rigth shoulder is bugging me a bit, so I'm giving that some rest too.

Squats

up to 5x145kg

Always feel very wobbly after some time off, probably lack of tension, but the weight went up anyway.

DO paused deadlift

3 sec. pause 2 inches off the floor

3x3x165kg

Very tough drill this is.

Dumbbell step ups

3x10x34kg

Plate curls

15kg standard plate

4x/ 6x/ 8x/ 8x/ 8x

Pronation/supination

3x 5+5x4kg

Blob trainer

6x3x20kg

Thumbs already a bit fried from the plate curls...

Edited by Royz

December 31st 2015

Managed to squeeze in one more. Truly the last one of 2015!

Dumbbell rear lateral raises

Chest on incline bench

10x18kg/ 10x20kg/ 10x22kg/ 10x22kg/ 10x22kg

Started with these to really warmup my shoulders very good, because my right shoulder is a bit painfull.

5x30kg/ 5x32kg/ 5x34kg/ 5x34kg/ 5x34kg

Floorpress

5x90kg/ 5x95kg/ 5x100kg/ 5x102,5kg

Grippers MMS

Done in between pressing

Right ghp5 5x/ 3x/ 4x/ 4x/ 4x/ 4x/ 4x/ 4x/ 5x/ 5x

Left ghp5 3x/ 2x/ 2x/ 3x/ 3x/ 2x/ 2x/ 2x/ 3x/ 3x

Totally crap gripperday. Last time I almost did 3x TNS with ghp5. Today I had trouble getting 5x MMS. Decided to try and get a lot of volume in.

It's been 10 days since last time. I'm never any good with grippers after a 'break'. Funny thing is I did 10 sets and every set I couldn't have done any more reps then I did, but still my last two sets were actually my best ones. Odd.

Dumbbell row

5x63kg/ 5x68kg/ 5x71kg

Standing fingercurls

5x110kgDO / 5x110kgDU / 5x110kgDO / 5x110kgDU

Dynamic pinch

4x5 reps and 2x holds

100 rep olympic barbell curl

50x/ 25x/ 25x

Ouch!

Well that wraps up 2015.

VERY BEST IN LIFE AND TRAINING FOR 2016 TO EVERYONE!

Edited by Royz
  • Like 1

Samo guys! Health for you and your families.

Roy, I am not that surprised about what you mentioned about your gripperwork. Perhaps 10 days in between, but 29th you already did DL, platecurling, wristwork and blob! And then there was general work where you used your hands. So I think there wasn't much of your 'break' left in terms of recovery on the 31th. I firmly believe you have more in you because you are overall strong. it's very likely for you the same as for me: push other training to the background if you want gripperprogress.

• Like 2

Roy, I am not that surprised about what you mentioned about your gripperwork. Perhaps 10 days in between, but 29th you already did DL, platecurling, wristwork and blob! And then there was general work where you used your hands. So I think there wasn't much of your 'break' left in terms of recovery on the 31th. I firmly believe you have more in you because you are overall strong. it's very likely for you the same as for me: push other training to the background if you want gripperprogress.

You're probably right wiseguy. ;-) However I'm currently not willing to sacrifice other training for gripper strength so I will have to make due with how it is and make the best of it. All the best for 2016 Geralt!

• Like 1

You're probably right wiseguy. ;-) However I'm currently not willing to sacrifice other training for gripper strength so I will have to make due with how it is and make the best of it. All the best for 2016 Geralt!

Lol true haha I have to be honest, I owe my progress to a few people who also were telling me what I already knew. But, it helped in the end. Sometimes a bit of mirroring isn't too bad heh heh

Januari 4th 2016

Rear lateral raises

Chest on incline bench

up to 8x24kg

up to 5x36kg

Floor press

up to 4x107,5kg

Grippers MMS

in between pressing

Right ghp5(114) x6/ x6/ 6x/ 6x/ 6x/ 6x/ 6x/ holdxghp6(134)

Left ghp5 4x/ 2x/ 4x/ 4x/ 4x/ 4x/ 3x holdxghp6

Not great, but clear improvement from last week.

Dumbbell row

5x53kg (with fatgripz)/ 5x57kg (with fg)/ 5x67kg

One arm pull downs

5x50kg(fg) / 5x55kg(fg)/ 5x60kg/ 9x50kg(fg)

Standing finger curls

Supersets DO and DU

15+15x70kg/15+15x70kg/15+15x70kg

100rep olympic barbell curl with fatgripz

40x/ 30x/ 30x

Damn that burns!

All in all a very ok first training of 2016!

• Like 1

january 8th 2016

Squat

up to 4x147,5kg

First time squatting in 10 days. Wasn't feeling it at all. 'Rubber legs'. Gave it my best shot on the last set, but couldn't get 5 reps.

Paused deadlift

up to 3x170kg

Didn't have any energy to do any volume, just worked up to 170kg in 4 sets. Reps paused for 2-3 seconds about 2 inches of the floor. Next week starting normal deadlifts again.

Some seated leg curls

up to 10x90kg

One hand pinch 3x10kg progressions

'Steering wheel'

For lack of something tangible to work towards gripwise like an inch dumbbell or a blob I've set my sight on pinching 3x10kg. These are fairly wide plates, combined width I guess to be about 8cm?

Got a flicker of daylight under them the other day with my left hand, so I think it's doable for me. Not as sexy as lifting a blob or an inch, but it will keep me busy for now. Yes I know... some people do 4x10kg... crazy stuff!

Plate curl

5x15kg/ 1x17kg/ 1x17k/ 1x17kg/ 1x17kg/ 1x17kg/ 8x15kg

Good work Roy! Strong squats, despite the rubber legs. Also you did good stuff on the thickbar dumbbell rows last time. The way you manhandled Bob's Inch last time shows there's a lot of strength in that area.

Btw bought an IM#1 for a buddy of mine for his birthday, so maybe he's also hooked from now on heh While I was at it, also bought an RB240N @135lbs which narrow spread should do nicely as workhorse for TNS training. Don't know wether or not I am going to file it though. The handles are 1mm thicker than the US standard.

Good work Roy! Strong squats, despite the rubber legs. Also you did good stuff on the thickbar dumbbell rows last time. The way you manhandled Bob's Inch last time shows there's a lot of strength in that area.

Btw bought an IM#1 for a buddy of mine for his birthday, so maybe he's also hooked from now on heh While I was at it, also bought an RB240N @135lbs which narrow spread should do nicely as workhorse for TNS training. Don't know wether or not I am going to file it though. The handles are 1mm thicker than the US standard.

Thanks Geralt. Yeah man spread the gospel! We need more gripsters in Holland!

january 11th 2016

Rear delt dumbbell side raises

Chest on incline bench

up to 6x26kg

One arm braced dumbbell press

up to 4x38kg (sloppy)/ 8x30kg

Floor press

up to 4x110kg

Grippers MMS

In between pressing

Right xghp5(114) 7x/ 7x/ 5x/ 6x/ 8x/ 3x10sec. hold xRB240

Left xghp5 4x/ 3x/ 2x/ 4x/ 5x/ 3x10sec. hold xRB240

Set was all over the place today hence the big fluctuation in reps.

Cable low row

with Fatgripz on rolling handles

10x100kg(fat)/ 5x110kg(fat)/ 5x125kg/ 5x135kg/ 5x110kg(fat)

One arm pull downs

with Fatgrip on rolling handle

5x50kg(fat)/ 5x55kg(fat)/ 5x60kg(fat)/ 3x65kg

One arm deadlift

up to 1x75kg/ 20x60kg(with re-grip)

Geralt got 1x80kg with these the other day. Wanted to see what I could get. Got air under 80kg but couldn't lift it. So either my hands where already tired from all the pulls with Fatgripz or I'm a big sissy. :grin: Did manage 20x60kg after that though. Wanna try that next time Geralt?

Standing finger curls

up to 5x110kg

Pallof press

up to 10x60kg (sloppy)

Pronation/supination with leverage bar

sets with 4kg

100 rep empty olympic barbell curl

60x/ 40x

Yes managed it in two sets! However definitely the hardest and most painfull sets of biceps curls I ever did!

Had a lot of energy so ended doing probably a bit too much. Feel like a train wreck today. :huh:

• Like 1

january 11th 2016

Rear delt dumbbell side raises

Chest on incline bench

up to 6x26kg

up to 4x38kg (sloppy)/ 8x30kg

Floor press

up to 4x110kg

Grippers MMS

In between pressing

Right xghp5(114) 7x/ 7x/ 5x/ 6x/ 8x/ 3x10sec. hold xRB240

Left xghp5 4x/ 3x/ 2x/ 4x/ 5x/ 3x10sec. hold xRB240

Set was all over the place today hence the big fluctuation in reps.

Cable low row

with Fatgripz on rolling handles

10x100kg(fat)/ 5x110kg(fat)/ 5x125kg/ 5x135kg/ 5x110kg(fat)

One arm pull downs

5x50kg(fat)/ 5x55kg(fat)/ 5x60kg(fat)/ 3x65kg

One arm deadlift

up to 1x75kg/ 20x60kg(with re-grip)

Geralt got 1x80kg with these the other day. Wanted to see what I could get. Got air under 80kg but couldn't lift it. So either my hands where already tired from all the pulls with Fatgripz or I'm a big sissy. :grin: Did manage 20x60kg after that though. Wanna try that next time Geralt?

Standing finger curls

up to 5x110kg

Pallof press

up to 10x60kg (sloppy)

Pronation/supination with leverage bar

sets with 4kg

100 rep empty olympic barbell curl

60x/ 40x

Yes managed it in two sets! However definitely the hardest and most painfull sets of biceps curls I ever did!

Had a lot of energy so ended doing probably a bit too much. Feel like a train wreck today. :huh:

Good stuff man, strong lift attempt Roy! You beat me one the rolling handle, for sure! My 80kg lift also wasn't the most beautiful, probably even a rejection at a contest. I don't train it primairly, but you also don't, so strong! 20 reps is a lot, could get 10 last time, maybe I will attempt it also soon :-)

Hey you have an RT don't you? CTD should be a nice goal man. First dutchman?

Edited by Geralt

CTD should be a nice goal man.

Still not sure on the rules on this. Can it be like a#3 cert or does in have to be in some sort of contest setting? Going to mail IM about that.

But I'm still a long way off with the RT. I want to get at least 1x95kg (best I've done 1x85kg) on my own RT, because I'm not sure it spins enough. Will have to train a bit for the hub because I suck at that (see below).

Training januari 15th 2016

This was a very early morning session. I was at the gym at 9am. I'm always up early because of the kids, but I never train early, because it sucks. Took me like a zillion sets to get properly fired up with my squats.

Squats

Up to 5x150kg

These are all the sets I did to get there:

20x broomstick/ 10x empty bar/ 10x50kg/ 5x80kg/ 5x100kg/ 5x120kg/ 5x130kg/ 5x140kg/ 5x145kg/ 5x150kg

DO deads

up to 3x180kg

Didn't 'feel' these at all. Very slow and hard. Perhaps because of the volume I did with squatting?

Leg curl machine

KB swings

up to 10x48kg

In the evening

Didn't have much time in the morning so did some gripstuff in the evening.

IM hub

Up to 1x21kg

I've owned this hub for 2-3? years now and I think this was like the third time I touched it. This has to be the most awkward move in gripsport.

Penny lift

Up to 1x13kg

Stupid but fun lift to do. Would like to see these again in some competitions. I think this is the only event where handsize isn't a factor at all.

Some dynamic pinching with thumb screws

Some swings and stuff with a 5kg sledge hammer.

Solid work Roy! Those squats with 150kg are strong. Wish I had that now for a 1rm hehe and that after a zillion sets, just sick :flowers:

I think if you would contact IM that you want to cert, I think they will ask Bas Hein from Sportfood over here in Venlo, if he wants to be the judge, since he is also an official referee for COC certs. The rules on the IM state that the equipment must be authentic and the current model. Which is the case I think, you own every currently used implement. So you could drive over there with your stuff and a good scale I guess, so that you can show that the weights are what they need to be. There is nothing said about the material being new, just demonstrating that the RT still spins freely by holding the handle and letting the metal bar slide from top to bottom position.

I agree about the RT weight. The hub I have no idea where I would stand, but the hub and the #2 are not the problem, the RT is the challenge of course. 90kg is a real killer. I am thinking of buying an RT in the future but first I want to cert the #3. However, it is a cool cert to focus on and would give you perhaps a very reachable goal! You are a strong open hand/supporting hand gripguy.

Go. GO. G.O. GO do it. DO IT. :sorcerer:

January 18th

Terrible day to train. It has been going fairly well lately because my nights are getting better. The last three nights however were terrible with my youngest being ill (again). So today I was in zombie mode once again. Called it after an hour or so.

Rear delt lateral raises

up to 8x26kg

4x36kg/ 4x36kg

Decline bench press

up to 5x120kg

Grippers MMS

In between pressing

Few singles with ghp6(131).

Felt bricklike today.

Cable row with fatgripz on rolling handles

up to 5x115kg / up to 5x145kg(without fatgripz)

january 21st 2016

Squats

up to 4x152,5kg

Was feeling better then last time, but I think I jumped to 152,5kg too fast. Couldn't get 5 reps. Going to split squats and deadlifts from next week on. I want to do more volume with squats, because my body is just not 'getting' the movement. It feels off and I feel very 'loose' in the hole, which makes it very difficult to come up with sufficient speed. However with more squatting volume I think my deadlifts would suffer, so I'm going to do them on different days.

DO deads

up to 2x170kg/ 8x3x130kg(speed)

Going to try and build up to hopefully a new max in 6 weeks or so.

After a few sets of deadlifting my lats suddenly felt extremely sore. Very odd. Wanted to do some rowing and pulling after deads, but couldn't.

KB swings

20x32kg/ 20x40kg/ 12x48kg

Januari 25th

Paused squats

3 count pause

5x5x100kg

First time trying paused squats. I'm really slow out of the hole and these seem to be the go to thing to fix that. Got up easy enough with 100kg, but still slow even with such a small amount of weight. I think these will be very good to fix my form too. You have to really think about what you're doing when you have to sit in the hole for 3 seconds. My squats suck, I feel I'm just leaking strength all over the place.

Overhead push press

5x3x80kg

Going to do push presses for a couple of weeks. Maybe get the body used to lifting a bit more weight overhead. So far I really have to get used to the technique. The weight goes up so fast I have trouble controlling it at the top.

Vulcan with black spring 20mm blocksets

In between squats

Right 5xL12/ 4xL12/ 3xL12/ 5xL12/ 5xL12

Left 5xL11/ 5xL11/ 3xL11/ 4xL12/ 3xL11

Some single leg horizontal leg presses

up to 8x125kg

RT curls

up to 5x25kg

RT high pulls

up to 5x60kg

RT deads

5x70kg/ 4x75kg/ 4x75kg

Framewalk with fatgripz extreme

3x 30mx100kg

Those fatgripz extreme are just so big for my hands. Feels almost like a pinch.

january 29th

Morning session. Late nighter yesterday. Saw 'The hatefull eight'. If you like blood, exploding heads and a lot of dialogue you should really go see it. :whacked

DO deads

up to 2x180kg/ 8x3x142,5kg

Floor press

3x8x90kg

Following exercises are done as a circuit with 60sec. rest between every exercise. Returning to the first exercise when all four are done.

Underhand chin ups

3x8

Romanian deads

8x110kg/ 8x120kg/ 8x120kg

Cable row wide grip

8x100kg/ 8x110kg/ 8x110kg

Powershrugs

8x110kg/ 8x120kg/ 8x120kg

February 1st 2016

Right shoulder is hurting (again). Bummer. I think it originates in my neck. Been having a stiff neck for a couple of weeks now. Might have to see a therapist to loosen it.

Paused squats

3 count pause

5x5x110kg

Vulcan 20mm blockset

In between squats

Right 22xL9/ 15xL10/ 4xL12/ 22xL9

Left 16xL9/ 7xL10/ 7xL10/ 13xL9

Push press

up to 3x82,5kg but bad idea.

Landmine press

3x8x25kg (+bar)

Side lateral raises

2x dropset with 20-18-16-14-12-10kg

RT curls

RT rows

Forgot to bring loading pin so did curls and rows with cable thingy. For the deadlifts I improves a loading pin from a rope cable attachment.

RT deads

5x3x75kg

'Steering wheel thing' with 3x10kg 3 sets

Pronation/supination with lever bar 4kg

Finger curls DO and DU

3x15+15x90kg

February 4th 2016

DO deads

up to 2x190kg/ 6x3x155kg

Deadlifting felt really solid today. That 190kg went up relatively easy, without a belt too.

Floor press

4x6x95kg

Following exercises are done as a circuit with 60-90sec. rest between every exercise. Returning to the first exercise when all four are done.

Underhand pull ups

3x8x

Romanian deadlift

8x100kg/ 8x120kg/ 8x130kg

Wide grip cable rows

8x100kg/ 8x115kg/ 8x115kg

Powershrugs

8x90kg/ 8x110kg/ 8x110kg

February 9th 2016

Paused squats

3 count pause

5x5x120kg

Squats felt good today. I'm noticing I'm getting more comfortable in the bottom part of the squat.

Vulcan 20mm blockset

Right 5x2xL13(14?)

Left 5x2xL12

Can't really feel the difference between the spring being one notch higher at the front or the back. Tried switching at Level 13 to Level 14 (presumable), but could just do 2 reps either way.

Kneeling landmine press

Weights without bar

6x25kg/ 6x30kg/ 6x30kg/ 6x32,5kg

Can't do regular overhead pressing at the moment. Right shoulder hurts.

Side lateral raises

3x8x20kg

Rolling thunder work

This turned out to be more of a testing workout than actual training, mostly max effort stuff.  Also completely ignored my own advice and only used my back with the RT deadlift.:blush Vid below. Experimented with 'background' music for the first time.:rock

Vid below.

RT curls

Up to 4x27,5kg

RT high pulls

Up to 4x65kg

RT deadlift

Up to 1x80kg (left only)

RT hand to hand

up to 50kg

Edited by Royz
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Grind said:

What are the RT curls for? Any benefit?

For fun.:D

Just working another angle. They hit the wrist really hard too though. The wrist is actually the weakest link with these curls I think, makes it very hard to get past the sticking point.