Log: Getting As Strong As When I Was 25 By The Time I'm 40

Royz

Damn those hips! I'm also hoping to get back to squatting and deadlifting.

Have you filled your vulcan? For what reason?

Filing the handles on a gripper is a common method for training 'beyond the range'. For making the hands stronger in the last part of the crush. The Vulcan however is a different beast than a Torsion Spring Gripper. It's a great and versaltile tool for developing crushing strenght but the carryover to TSG's isn't great. This is because a TSG becomes harder towards the final part of the crush, where the strenght needed on the Vulcan is linear, it stays the same towards the end. Thats why setting a Vulcan is very hard and the close in comparison is easy. By filing one handle of the Vulcan I'm hoping to make the final close a bit harder and this in combination with the 'beyond the range' effect will hopefully get me a little bit better carryover to TSG's.

I really like training with the Vulcan because it's easy to make small increment in difficulty. I want get a level 16 close on my Vulcan (right hand) before I return to TSG's, currently I'm on level 15 on a (very) good day I think. Then we will see if I have gotten any reasonable carryover.

I understand why you file a TSG but not a vulcan because of the linear tension in the spring. And if you want to increase tension you go a level higher. Therefore filling a vulcan seemed useless to me.

Filing the handles on a gripper is a common method for training 'beyond the range'. For making the hands stronger in the last part of the crush. The Vulcan however is a different beast than a Torsion Spring Gripper. It's a great and versaltile tool for developing crushing strenght but the carryover to TSG's isn't great. This is because a TSG becomes harder towards the final part of the crush, where the strenght needed on the Vulcan is linear, it stays the same towards the end. Thats why setting a Vulcan is very hard and the close in comparison is easy. By filing one handle of the Vulcan I'm hoping to make the final close a bit harder and this in combination with the 'beyond the range' effect will hopefully get me a little bit better carryover to TSG's.

I really like training with the Vulcan because it's easy to make small increment in difficulty. I want get a level 16 close on my Vulcan (right hand) before I return to TSG's, currently I'm on level 15 on a (very) good day I think. Then we will see if I have gotten any reasonable carryover.

It defenitly helps. My RB-Adjustable is also filed down.

I understand why you file a TSG but not a vulcan because of the linear tension in the spring. And if you want to increase tension you go a level higher. Therefore filling a vulcan seemed useless to me.

True, but you still get the beyond the range effect which should be helpfull, because the last few mm are the hardest on any gripper.

July 28th 2015

Overhead press

10x 1x85kg (60-80 second breaks)

Very pleased! I think I'm good for 1x90kg at the moment. Which is where I was november last year, before my shoulder started bugging me (again). Next week I will test my true current max before going on holiday.

Incline dumbbell press

4x 5x40kg

Rear/side lateral raise superset

10+10x14kg/ 10+10x16kg/ 10+10x18kg

Shrugs

up to 5x160kg

A lot of ab stuff

Hammer curls medley

With kettlebell/ plate/ bag

3 sets.

No grip today, need a bit of rest.

july 31st 2015

Barbell Step ups

up to 5x110kg

Filed Vulcan 20mm blockset

Wanted to do an 1 rep max, but grip strength was sh*t today. Ended up doing a bunch of high rep sets.

Rolling thunder

up to 3x72,5kg

Also crap. Everything above 60kg felt very heavy.

Do deadlift (beltless)

3x110kg/ 3x120kg/ 3x130kg/ 3x140kg/ 3x150kg/ 3x160kg/ 3x170kg/ 3x180kg/ 3x190kg!

Out of the blue! Planned to start conventional deadlifting again since my back is feeling good, but my hip flexor prevents me from doing trapbar deadlifts. Wanted to do some speed deadlifts today to get in the groove again. It's been 6 months? since I last did conventional. However the speed deadlifts felt really solid so I decided to add 10kg and then another 10kg and then another 10kg... Ended up going for a max triple. Equalling my best triple done in recent years!

Counting down to my holiday... Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

july 31st 2015

Barbell Step ups

up to 5x110kg

Filed Vulcan 20mm blockset

Wanted to do an 1 rep max, but grip strength was sh*t today. Ended up doing a bunch of high rep sets.

Rolling thunder

up to 3x72,5kg

Also crap. Everything above 60kg felt very heavy.

Do deadlift (beltless)

3x110kg/ 3x120kg/ 3x130kg/ 3x140kg/ 3x150kg/ 3x160kg/ 3x170kg/ 3x180kg/ 3x190kg!

Out of the blue! Planned to start conventional deadlifting again since my back is feeling good, but my hip flexor prevents me from doing trapbar deadlifts. Wanted to do some speed deadlifts today to get in the groove again. It's been 6 months? since I last did conventional. However the speed deadlifts felt really solid so I decided to add 10kg and then another 10kg and then another 10kg... Ended up going for a max triple. Equalling my best triple done in recent years!

Counting down to my holiday... Looking forward to it.

Do you think the Trap Bar Deadlifts improved your DO Deadlift?

Do you think the Trap Bar Deadlifts improved your DO Deadlift?

I haven't done that many trapbar sessions. So I don't think so. I would like to think that romanian deadlifts and supermans have made my posterior chain stronger which have given me a bit more confidence to pull with agression again in the conventional deadlift.

A trap bar deadlift always felt more like a leg press type of moment to me than a deadlift movement, i'm no fan of it.

Nice deads Roy.

Edited by Grind

Strong deads indeed. I must say I like the TB much more than the traditional DL. It enables me to lift more weight in a more comfortable way. The load on the body stays the same and with my long limbs it's an ideal lifting variant. I will never do deads outside my garage so I choose the more comfortable way. I also must say that although I agree the movement for TB is easier, it still puts loads of pressure on the back and I don't experience it as a legpress.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

The trapbar has a lot going for it. It's easier on the back and you can use more weight. If you have enough flexibily and long arms you could possibly stay almost upright and make it a 'legpress'. The way I do them they sort of feel like a squat/deadlift hybrid.

However because the conventional deadlift is more 'awkward' it's also more challenging. And noboby is ever going to ask you how much you can trapbar deadlift... If you care about such things.

• Like 1

Strong deads indeed. I must say I like the TB much more than the traditional DL. It enables me to lift more weight in a more comfortable way. The load on the body stays the same and with my long limbs it's an ideal lifting variant. I will never do deads outside my garage so I choose the more comfortable way. I also must say that although I agree the movement for TB is easier, it still puts loads of pressure on the back and I don't experience it as a legpress.

Yes that's true and that's the main reason why I don't like to do them, i don't like to be comfortable when I lift. With a trap bar your posterior chain is less involved in the movement. With strongman you must have strong hips and a bar in front of you demands much more force on the hip muscles than a trap bar that is always centered. Not everybody has the same goals in sport and I understand why you like the trap bar and of course it will also get you strong.

Edited by Grind

true. I am getting 38 soon. Not old, but I am not going to be a great lifter anymore. In my surroundings nobody asks how much I can deadlift. They all go to the sportcentre for bodypump or whatever. Lifting 200kg on a trapbar or whatever makes one crazy strong in their eyes, know what I mean? I get daily FB feeds people deadlifting 300+ kg deadlifts. Truth is I can't bother anymore with that. What makes me stronger comfortable helps me in my goal, staying 'average' strong and feeling fit. With comfortable I do not mean easy training btw. I have a busy job, two kids and a home to maintain, so lifing is an easing of my mind. Besides all that I go into my garage and train hard on my way, trying to step out of my comfort zone. But I am not going to do exercises anymore because they are supposed to be more bad ass or something.

I get daily FB feeds people deadlifting 300+ kg deadlifts

Don't you just hate that? Seeing some 20yr old dude barely out of his diapers weighing like 85kg deadlifting 300kg.... and benching 200kg.

I get daily FB feeds people deadlifting 300+ kg deadlifts

Don't you just hate that? Seeing some 20yr old dude barely out of his diapers weighing like 85kg deadlifting 300kg.... and benching 200kg.

All roids :D

Geralt I found this article about the dangers of a trap bar lift.

I lack the experience to know if it's true but it seems plausible.

http://jasonferruggia.com/are-trap-bar-deadlifts-safer-than-straight-bar-deadlifts/

The suggestion of a block pull (rack pull) at the bottom of the article is some good advice if you have problems to get a good form in the bottom position.

Edited by Grind

I use the trap bar for savety reasons as Geralt. Turning 46 this year i don't want to risk a lower back injury. I can turn this lift more into a squating movement or a hingeing movment. But i do hibryd like Royz. I have no intention to compet any more. I just want to get stronger than 95 % of all humans again and stay that way.

• Like 1

I use the trap bar for savety reasons as Geralt. Turning 46 this year i don't want to risk a lower back injury. I can turn this lift more into a squating movement or a hingeing movment. But i do hibryd like Royz. I have no intention to compet any more. I just want to get stronger than 95 % of all humans again and stay that way.

Have you read the article in my post?

The problem, however, is that the trap bar deadlift is a very unstable movement. When you combine heavy weights with shaky, unstable movements you may be asking for trouble. What I mean by this is that unlike the straight bar, which locks you into place because the bar is grinding against your thighs, you’re kind of just out there flapping in the breeze with the trap bar.

I believe Mark Rippetoe mentioned this a few years back but I never gave it much credence at the time. However, I now wholeheartedly agree that the trap bar could be much riskier and cause more injuries than the straight bar. I’ve seen too many weird, Exorcist like moves and injuries the last few years to think otherwise.

He also says this is most likely to happen with inexperienced lifters. If your able to stay tight and locked when your upright there shouldn't be a problem.

Both movements aren't completely safe. If you want complete safety one should just train with machines only.

When i started to deadlifts with the trap bar it was a litle shaky at first. But you get used to it in now time. It is the same with my camber squat bar squats. If you are not used to it you shake all over.

He also says this is most likely to happen with inexperienced lifters. If your able to stay tight and locked when your upright there shouldn't be a problem.

Both movements aren't completely safe. If you want complete safety one should just train with machines only.

He says it's a great tool for inexperience lifters but can get dangerous when you get stronger and train max effort. You don't have a stable ending point at the lockout. That can result to instability and thus injury.

It's just something you need to keep in mind.

A great tool for beginners and for hypertrophy but not something you want to max with a lot I think.

He says it's a great tool for inexperience lifters but can get dangerous when you get stronger and train max effort. You don't have a stable ending point at the lockout. That can result to instability and thus injury.

It's just something you need to keep in mind.

A great tool for beginners and for hypertrophy but not something you want to max with a lot I think.

You ever tried these, Mark? I am also not maxing out all the time, because even with the trapbar my CNS is zapped for two weeks whenI do max effort.

http://youtu.be/mEhaedC3TN4

Edit: sorry Roy, should have posted this in Grind's log. I suggest when continuing the discussion we do it at my log or Grind's so Roy can just go back to bad ass deadlifts again haha

Edited by Geralt

August 3rd 2015

Overhead press

up to 1x92,5kg! / 8x70kg!

Very nice! Best I've done in recent years. It's a small improvement but I'll take it. Just three more of these 2,5kg improvements and I'll be at 1x100kg. :sorcerer:

Incline bench press

up to 1x120kg! / 5x100kg

A very good day for pressing it seems. Haven't done this with a barbell in ages.

Filed Vulcan 20mm blockset (black spring)

Right 22xL11/12xL10/ 7xL11/ 4xL12/ 1xL13/ 20xL9

Left 22xL8/ 9xL9/ 5xL10/ 3xL11/ 1xL12/ 17xL8

Rear lateral raise + side lateral raise

Supersets

10+10x14kg/ 10+10x18kg/ 10+10x18kg/ 10+10x18kg

Blob trainer

up to 1x26kg!

Don't know how this compairs to the actual blob. If I can get this up to 1x30kg I think I'm pretty save with a 25kg blob.

Wide hammer grip pull downs

up to 8x110kg/ 16x90kg

Hammer curl supersets

Kettlebell - Plate pinch - Bag