Log: Getting As Strong As When I Was 25 By The Time I'm 40

Royz

'Royz method. When pain is an option'. There's croc rows and Royzsets for volume lol Sounds hefty brother. Oveheadpress 20 x 50kg consecutive? Nice!

Lol. A bit of pain in the gym clears my head like nothing else...

may 2nd 2015

Doing 20 rep sets in the morning is even worse than doing them in the evening...

Zercher squats

16+4x105kg

Was getting light headed after 16 reps. Put the weight down for 30sec. and cranked out the remaining 4 reps.

Filed Vulcan black spring 20mm blockset

R 23x Level 8

L 17x Level 8

DO deads Fatgripz Extreme

20x85kg

Hands definitely not recovered from last time. These 20 reps were basically a string of singles and doubles with a lot of 10sec. breaks in between. Tough.

Overhead press

22x50kg

Romanian deads

20x115kg

Floor press

23x70kg

Seated calf presses one leg

20x85kg

Key pinch pony clamp

25x

Cable row V-grip

25x105kg

Block curl

R 20x8kg

L 18x 8kg

Side laterals

20x18kg

Front levers

20x6,5kg

Back levers

20x8kg

A 3 day break would be better between sessions I think, maybe even 4.

• Like 1

I would say so, this is pretty CNS frying I guess. Once I get lightheaded in training, I'm mostly done. Can't shake that feeling once it starts.

Edited by Geralt

I would say so, this is pretty CNS frying I guess. Once I get lightheaded in training, I'm mostly done. Can't shake that feeling once it starts.

I like my CNS fried with bacon... Actually I think it's less taxing for the CNS than low reps. I feel drained after training but not so much the next day. With low reps it's the other way around.

• Like 1

may 6th 2015

Managed to tweak my back (again!) with the Zercher squats. I think it's because I'm just too stressed out at the moment, too much tension in my body and my back.

I do however seem to adapt to the high rep stuff. Have been doing more reps or more weight every session so far. So that's nice.

Zercher squats

Big fail, hurt my back a bit with a light weight.

Despite my back hurting I did have a lot of energy today so I decided to muscle through.

Filed Vulcan 20mm blockset

R 28x L8

L 18x L8

Big improvement right hand, left hand a bit lagging.

Horizontal leg press

30x157kg

Overhead press

20x55kg

DO deads Fatgripz extreme

30x85kg

10 more reps than last time, mostly performed as triples and doubles with little 10sec. breaks in between.

Floorpress

20x75kg

Cable row V-grip

25x110kg

Supermans on roman chair

20x10kg

Block curl

R 22x8kg

L 20x8kg

Seated calf presses one legged

23x85kg

Side lateral raises

22x18kg

Front levering

20x7kg

Back levering

18x8,5kg

Mounted wristroller

front x65kg/ back x70kg

Walking dumbbell lunges

30metres x18kg/ x24/ x26kg!

Just noticed I did 14 different movements today. Bit crazy perhaps...

Edited by Royz

Just noticed I did 14 different movements today

:yikes

• Like 1

may 10th 2015

Squat

22x110kg

Yes just regular squats. Been a looong while. Not too bad.

Vulcan filed 20mm blockset

R 18xL9

L 20xL8

Overhead press

18x57,5kg

Nice. Hopefully doing 20x60 kg soon.

DO deads Fagripz Extreme

25x90kg!

So far these high reps seem to work really well for thickbar strength. I'm hoping I will do 20x100kg within a month. These aren't continues reps, I have to take a mini-break every couple of reps. Still very tough to do.

Floor press

23x75kg

Supermans on roman chair

22x10kg

Cable row V-grip

27x115kg

If I get into a rhythm I seem to be able to do this with just about anything...

Seated calf presses one leg

28x85kg

Block curl

20x8,5kg

Front levering

23x7kg

Back levering

22x8,5kg

Side lateral raises

18x20kg

Ab wheel

35x

DO deads Fagripz Extreme 25x90kg!

Again,

:yikes

• Like 1

may 16th 2015

Squats

26x110kg

R 20xL9

L 21xL8

Overhead press

19x57,5kg

DO dead fatgripz extreme

20x95kg!

Floor press

22x80kg

Mounted wristroller

forward x65kg

backward x75kg

Cable row V-grip

20x120kg

Supermans on roman chair

25x10kg

Horizontal leg press

25x157kg

Block curl

20x9kg

Barbell curl hammer grip

18x48kg

May 20th 2015

Hands where feeling tired today, not recovered from last time I think...

Squat

20x120kg

Basically dead after this set, but the show had to go on.

Rest pause style

R 7+3+2+1 xL10

L 8+3+2+1 xL9

Overhead press

19x57,5kg

First time not being able to progress from last time.

DO deads Fatgripz Extreme

11x95kg

Felt my hand slipping from the first rep. Didn't have it today.

Floor press

20x82,5kg

Mounted wristroller 48mm

Forward x65kg

Backward x80kg!

Barbell row

17x100kg

Supermans on roman chair

20x12kg

Seated calf press one leg

20x90kg

Block curl

R 20x9,5kg

L 16x9,5kg

Front levering bar lift to bench

20x7kg

• Like 2

may 25th 2015

Squats

20x120kg

Felt strangely lightheaded going into the gym. Decided to be a bit of a whimp and not try to do more than last time on the squat...

Rest pause style

R 11+3+3+2x L10 / 30sec. hold xL13

L 12+4+3x L9/ 20sec. hold xL13

Overhead press

18x60kg

Floor press

18x85kg

Romanian dead

20x120kg

Cable row V-grip

20x125kg

Mounted wristroller 48mm

forward x65kg

backward x80kg

Side lateral raises

22x20kg

26x90kg

Why the high reps set? And is this the only set you do?

Have done only lowreps (1-5 reps) for the past 3? years. But I was hitting a brick wall in my progress for the last 6 months or so. Decided to do something completely different for a couple of weeks (or for as long as I like it). So yes, apart from a couple of easy warm-up sets, I just do one all out set for approx. 20 reps. And because I only have time to train twice a week I do this crazy whole body routine. So far I've been getting good results, but I'm not sure if I'm actually getting stronger. Maybe I'm just building more stamina. We'll see. I'm enjoying the change of pace for now anyway!

Edited by Royz
  • Like 1

Have done only lowreps (1-5 reps) for the past 3? years. But I was hitting a brick wall in my progress for the last 6 months or so. Decided to do something completely different for a couple of weeks (or for as long as I like it). So yes, apart from a couple of easy warm-up sets, I just do one all out set for approx. 20 reps. And because I only have time to train twice a week I do this crazy whole body routine. So far I've been getting good results, but I'm not sure if I'm actually getting stronger. Maybe I'm just building more stamina. We'll see. I'm enjoying the change of pace for now anyway!

Hello Royz,

i worry that you only get more efficient at this rep range. You migh even loose some max strength. But anyway a change of pace from time to time is good. Especialy for your mind.

Hello Royz,

i worry that you only get more efficient at this rep range. You migh even loose some max strength. But anyway a change of pace from time to time is good. Especialy for your mind.

Hi Jörg,

You might be right. If you want to get better at one rep max, you will have to practise your one rep max. So if I'm going back down to low reps again my body will need a little time to get used to that again. However if I keep getting stronger in the 20-rep range, there is a point in my progress where I will not just be more efficient, but will actually be stronger. But I really don't no if that's gonna happen. It's not just a change of pace it's also a little experiment.

If've done smolov in the past. Don't know if you are familiar with this squat program but you squat 4 day a week and every day you change the rep range (9-7-5-3 reps).

The key element of this program is that the volume is high enough for you to make a good progression.

Low reps is great to build power but don't forget to make enough work volume (about 80-85%1RM). I gained in the beginning a lot on the madcow principle (ramping up the weights to a max set). Till I got stuck so I lowered the intensity and upped the volume. There are so many ways to book gains with.

As a elite lifter you can make good gains with 5-3-1 wendler for example.

• Like 1

may 29th 2015

A morning session. Doesn't happen very often. Needed a bit of time to get into the groove today.

Squat

22x120kg

Still didn't feel like going heavier today, but I just HAD to get more reps than last time.

Overhead press

19x60kg

Floor press

19x85kg

DO deads fatgripz extreme

rest pause style

20x95kg

Holy crap this was hard.

Supermans on roman chair

20x12kg

Cable row V-grip

21x125kg

18x95kg

Blob trainer lift - index finger on top (see pics)

rest pause style

15x20kg

Made a blob trainer from wood. Really want to lift Bobs or Geralts 25kg blob next time I see them!

At home, without chalk, I could only lift 12,5kg on it! But I chalked it up really good today and now I lifted 20kg pretty easily.

Just shows how much texture matters!

Block curl

R 20x10kg

L 18x10kg

Dumbbell lunge walk

30m x26kg

post-22763-0-32752600-1432911730_thumb.j

post-22763-0-87647100-1432911730_thumb.j

post-22763-0-36478300-1432911731_thumb.j

post-22763-0-65867800-1432911997_thumb.j

Edited by Royz

Good stuff Roy! Also very strong squatting. I have hurt my left hand a bit with my 25kg Blob. It hurts in the knuckle area, probably because of the crazy wide pinch and the hard work I did with it. So laying it off for a while, don't want to injure my right hand also.

June 3rd 2015

Forgot my notebook so this is from memory.

Squat

20x125kg!

A lot of the 20rep squat thing is mental I think. I can really only do 10 continues reps with this, but after that I just stand with the weight and basically grind out singles untill I hit 20reps.

rest pause style

R L11 8+3+3+3+2 reps / Hold 20sec. L15

L L10 4 (too heavy) + L9 6+3+3+2 reps / Hold 20sec. L13

Overhead press

19x 60kg / 12x60kg

Decided to try a second set...

Floor press

Rest pause style

10+3+3+2+2 x85kg

Pressing power not great today.

Romanian dead

20x125kg!

Ez bar curl

20x48kg

Also did some levering, calves and abs...

• Like 1

Ok so you use breathing style squats. 20 reps pfff not in this live.

Maybe a 5min squat challenge is something for you. You choose a weight and have 5 minutes to make as much volume as possible. 6000kg is hardcore. :D

Edited by Grind

Ok so you use breathing style squats. 20 reps pfff not in this live.

Maybe a 5min squat challenge is something for you. You choose a weight and have 5 minutes to make as much volume as possible. 6000kg is hardcore. :D

Yeah a lot of breathing...haha... takes me about 10minutes to catch my breath after those 20 reps.

Interesting... that could be 48 reps with 125kg in 5min. So you are allowed to rack the weight during those 5 minutes?

A bit to tough for me now I think.