Chalk, Nose Tork, And Steel

strongman1

Thanks Gent, I'm glad you remembered.

Diet sucked for about 1.5 days while I was in Cincinnati, didn't get to train either, it was a deload so not as big of a deal.

5/29/14 - Thurs late night

deload

Deadlift

5 x 405

Band Pull Aparts

Ab Rotation

5/31/14 - Sat

Farmers Walk

80' x 220 x 10.11s

80' x 260 x 12.3s - little misstep at the start

Prowler Push

normal shoes

60' x 270

120' x 270 - turn at 60'

80' x 360 - maybe a PR

Ab Rotation

Face Pulls

Left ring finger isn't getting better. Can still do Farmers at this weight luckily, should be ok for the contest.

6/1/14 - Sun

jump rope 100

DB swing 12 x 50

Ab front bridge 30s

Inverted row 8

Pallof press 10

Band pull apart 20

Stat bike 1 min

back to back. rest between rounds.

6/2/14 - Mon

Bench w/ SS

1 board

8 x 135, 165, 195, 225, 245, 275

12 x 305 - not too hard

This was a good setup to take the pressure off the pecs. but still get some work in.

DB Press

3" handle

6 x 130 - R. got 5 in 60s. need to be faster.

1 x 130 - L.

Pec continues to feel better. Still being careful with it though.

Edited by strongman1

The "stud" and "gent".

What's James' boy band nickname?

The "stud" and "gent".

What's James' boy band nickname?

Don't underestimate the power of the 4th tenet of strongman: training, rest, nutrition, and most importantly sassy boy band nicknames :wub:

6/4/14 - wed

Deadlift

touch n go

13 x 500 - ok number, but too sloppy. too much stiff leg and low back, not enough glute. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FJgdF4wlD4

Sandbag Carry

shouldered

200' x 205

80 x 205 - wow core gave out fast

Ab Wheel

bw x 20 - felt just a little twinge in the pec, so stopped

Edited by strongman1

6/5/14 - Thurs

DB Press

3" handle

4 x 140 in 45s - R. ties rep PR, but this was a little faster.

1 x 130 - L.

Extra shoulder rehab

Ab Rotation

Felt pretty good considering this was a low carb day, probably less than 20g so far.

Got an xray on my finger today. Not broken, just a bad sprain. PIP joint is the issue. Might take 6 months to heal. Will do some therapy.

Sucks about the finger. Seems like one of those things that will keep getting injured, hitting it all the time. It's not the special finger, is it?

The deads looked pretty solid. Tough have to have perfect form when grinding out tough reps. Nicely done, sir.

Luckily it's probably the least special of fingers!

6/7/14 - sat

Box Squat

to warmup for yoke

3 x 405

Yoke

40' runs

60' x 710 - 15.x

not very fast today, but got to my goal of working up heavier than contest weight of 650

Prowler

harness pull, climbing shoes

80' x 520 - w/ 2 15s breaks

6/9/14 - mon

Bench w/ SS

w/u for DB

DB Press

3" handle

1 x 135 - R.

decided to stop here. shoulders need a break from this. trained it twice last week. going to do this again Thurs or Fri.

Bench w/ SS

all medium/close grip. ~2" out from smooth

8 x 275

5 x 275

8 x 275

16 x 315 - a 5 rep PR over my old normal grip PR

Ab Rotation / Band Pull Apart

3 x 15 / 3 x 20

6/11/14 - wed

Deadlift

2 x 495

8 x 545 - belt, straps - touch and go. video

Ab Wheel / Ab Rotation

25, 20 / 15, 20

I'm pretty sure my old reset-each-rep deadlift PR is 9 x 545, but I can't see to find it. I wonder if it was 7 reps. Someday though.... I'm going to set a real deadlift PR dammit!!!

2.5 weeks out from Sauk.

• Like 1

6/13/14 - Fri

Bench w/ SS

as a warmup for DB

to 225

DB Press

3" handle

1 x 1 x 135 - L - PR for left

2 x 3 x 135 - R

Not that great. Press was feeling good, but kept screwing up the rack. I think I can fix it though.

I love how you grind out those deads!!!!!

Nice job on the DB as well.

Thanks Mike! They always look so easy when I go back to watch the video, but it felt hard. My belt popped open on the last 2, so I was glad to still finish. Poor velcro couldn't stand the pressure! I have 2 new belts. One is a "Bob's Belt". It's the 5" monster. Haven't used it yet. Also ordered an Inzer lever.

Matt, if you use the stranger arm a lot, when is it no longer the stranger arm?

6/15/14 - Sun

In Mexico, at a commercial gym.

Close Grip Bench

10 x 315 - big PR. last normal grip PR was 8 reps. from a long time ago my last close grip PR was 4 reps.

Press

3 x 185

2 x 225 - strict, then push jerk

1 x 250 - strict

2 x 275 - push jerk

DB Rev Fly

15 x 25

15 x 35

15 x 40

Band Shoulder rehab and upper back

Cable Ab Rotation

1 set. shoulders cramped and made this too difficult.

Bench was feeling great. Was going to do more, but decided not to push it. If a pec gave out, my spanish speaking spotter probably would let me die. Was doing close-grip to make it a little easier on the pecs.

6/18/14 - wed

Deadlift

14 x 500 - touch n go - straps/belt

Many of these were barely any bounce, it wasn't a deadlift friendly gym. Regular plates and a relatively stiff bar.

It was so hot and humid in the mexican gym that I had to leave. I've felt too hot before, but never quite like this.

Overheating is not fun!

Great work on the dead. You guys love doing reps.

Thanks Mike! I'm pretty burnt out on deadlift reps. I agree with you about rep deadlifting not building your max though. For this event, 500 for reps, I didn't think I had time to increase my max. Mostly because it seems like now days it takes my back a long time to adjust to heavier weights. It was pretty taxing to recover from reps, so I took some weeks to do heavier weights (around 550) and lower reps. Turned out one week I did 8 reps, so still ending up doing reps!

Something else that doesn't help my max is touch and go. So I'm going to try to get back to full reset too.

Besides bench and deadlifting last week, did some swimming, some ab stuff, some stretching, etc.

6/22/14 - Sun

Yoke

60' x 550 ~ high 9s

60' x 600 ~ 10.23s

Farmers

80' x 220 ~ 10.x

Prowler

2 x 80' x 270

Ab Wheel

3 x 15

Ab Rotation

2 x 20 x black

1 x 20 x red

I've been taping my fingers to try to protect my ring finger. I tried it a little differently today. Somehow I ended up tearing a callus off on the 220 FW run. It should be fine, just need to find something that works next week at 265 contest weight.

6/23/14 - Mon

Starting the deload week

Bench warmup

10 x 225 w/ slingshot

DB Press

3" handle

a few practice cleans 80, 130

set 1 @ 130 did 3 cleans, 1 press

set 2 @ 130 did 3 cleans, 1 press, then 4 cleans

Mostly wanted to practice the clean/rack. only attempted 1 press per set.

Pullups

3 x 8

Bench

close/medium grip

10 x 225 w/ slingshot

10 x 225

Ab Rotation

2 x 15

6/24/14 - Tues

normal w/u

Squat

Deadlift

2 x 5 x 315

Prowler

80' x 180

60' x 180 - 4 in a row. about 10s, then 20s rest, repeat.

6/26/14 - Thurs

Normal warm-up and dyn stretching

Prowler

60' x 90 - 4 in a row. about 10s, then 20s rest, repeat.

stretching

6/27/14 - Friday

Very easy cut. Going to log it so I can repeat if needed. All week I was 269-270.

Right before the Thursday light training, I cut carbs. Friday morning woke up at 267. Hot bath for about 15 minutes just to start sweating. Then did a little jump rope. Drove to Sauk Rapids and weighed in at 264 on his scale. Probably 265 on mine.

What bout the contest...

congrats on qualifying for nats!! Reno, this year?

MN State Championships - Sauk Rapids

6/28/14

Farmer's Walk

265 for 100'

Bit of a slow start and a slow run. Last place. Only 3 people in my class. I was training 80' runs, event was posted as 70' run. My ring finger still hasn't healed but didn't really affect this run. Not a great way to start.

DB Press

135 inch replica for reps. Clean once. 60s limit.

I trained clean every rep. I think my best was 6 reps. Got 9 reps with my right in just over 30s. Switched to left, missed that rep, then hit 2 more with the right. Last one just before time expired. 11 reps was good for 1st place. PR. Think 2nd was 9 reps. Very happy with this. First time ever winning a press event!

Odd Object Load

165 Keg. 174 inch DB. sandbag. 230 stone. 250 torpedo tank. Implements were staggered with the Keg furthest at about 15'. Loaded to flatbed truck, about 50".

Not sure the exact time, but I think around 29s. May have been the fastest of any weight class. Seeing the other times, I knew I wouldn't have to sprint, and I decided to be cautious and make sure there were no mistakes. No one was blazing fast. I was going head to head so I knew I was ahead about half way through. 1st place.

Yoke

650 for 100'

I trained 60' and 70' runs, event was posted as 70' run. Many mentioned how unstable the yoke was. Tried to start smooth and slow. Definitely started slow, but it started a circular swing anyway. Think I got last. Not sure of time, but it was slow.

Deadlift

500 barbell for reps. 60s limit. Touch n go. Straps allowed because it was raining.

I was in 2nd place by 1 point going into this. 3rd place was 1 point behind. So mobiles went poorly, which made me even more determined to win this. I was ready for this. I knew I had 15+ in the tank. 3rd place guy got 8 or 9 reps, and I was head to head with the 1st place guy. Got 18 reps in about 50s. 4 rep PR. I knew I was ahead, so didn't attempt more. I think I could've ground out 1 or 2 more. Pretty happy with this. 1st place.

Ended up tied for first. Was secretly hoping they'd do a count back and I'd get 1st from winning 3 of 5 events. Tie breaker was 250 shield carry 200', turn at 100'. I got the choice of order, chose to go last. I felt like I was moving quickly on the way back but lost with about 23s compared to 21s. Got 2nd place overall.

I didn't believe it myself until I scoured my log, but its been 4 years since I've competed. Very happy my back held up and I could win the deadlift.

Videos:

Farmers

DB Press

Odd Object Load

Yoke

Deadlift

Edited by strongman1

What bout the contest...

congrats on qualifying for nats!! Reno, this year?

Ha, it's posted now, you're the only one who will read it who wasn't there to see it, so this is special for you, lol! :wub:

I never really considered the whole qualifying for nats thing. I just realized tonight that the 265 weight class doesn't exist there. Heavy Weight Men is 231 - 300 now. I should either gain or lose 30 lbs, lol!

https://www.facebook.com/events/439899916154000/

Edited by strongman1