The Gripmas Carol 2011

climber511

Bob are you talking about the hammers?

The judging and setup will go a long way to determine how much weight will be lifted. I don't think 60 is out of the question. One handed doesn't really tell the whole story, just like DB bench won't tell you exactly how much somebody does with a barbell.

The only thing I can say for certain is that if 60# is done here - I won't be the one doing it.

Yeah, the hammers Jedd.

Depending on how the platform goes, you can get lots of chest into it. The platform may or may not change this.

Not being very familiar with choking grippers,I was wondering what type of hose clamp do you use? I don"t want to choke it and then have it turn into a hose clamp projectile. Thanks for your help!

Not being very familiar with choking grippers,I was wondering what type of hose clamp do you use? I don"t want to choke it and then have it turn into a hose clamp projectile. Thanks for your help!

I've never had a problem with any hose clamp breaking but I have found some that are a little wider than others so I use those on the heavier grippers. I don't know if they have a brand name on them or not - I'll try to remember to look tomorrow for you.

Chris,

A female friend of mine is planning to compete, and it sounds like she might be bringing a second female competitor with her. Could shape up to be a real nice sized ladies division.

Todd - are these ladies still planing on coming to Gripmas?

The judging and setup will go a long way to determine how much weight will be lifted. I don't think 60 is out of the question. One handed doesn't really tell the whole story, just like DB bench won't tell you exactly how much somebody does with a barbell.

The only thing I can say for certain is that if 60# is done here - I won't be the one doing it.

Short of Slim making a trip to OH or Doc judging it from the portapotty, nobody is going to hit 60# with a dead stop for a 5 count.

Todd - are these ladies still planing on coming to Gripmas?

Chris - I will try to get a hold of her this weekend and let you know. Haven't heard from her in quite a while.

check went out this morning. sorry for it's lateness.

who else has signed on?

who else has signed on?

So far I have in hand the following. They should start coming in soon I hope.

Austin Acree - Open Class

Andrew Durniant - Elite

Brendon Gerber - Light Weight (82.5K I think for record purposes)

brendon is strong as hell. I believe he;s hunting for the 2hp WR in the light weight class.

I will finally get to try out the double sledge tomorrow. Heading up to Jedd's to work on a project. Hoping to get 40 + and figure out where to come in at. I'm moving some really tough stock DU and reverse every day, but no idea how that will translate. If Mike Krahling were coming, I would bet he would do well over 50, but 60# seems crazy to a mortal like me.

Training for these events last night was a joy!

I will finally get to try out the double sledge tomorrow. Heading up to Jedd's to work on a project. Hoping to get 40 + and figure out where to come in at. I'm moving some really tough stock DU and reverse every day, but no idea how that will translate. If Mike Krahling were coming, I would bet he would do well over 50, but 60# seems crazy to a mortal like me.

Mike and Jedd - remember that Jedd's handles are longer than mine will be when you are working on your openers. Let's see a 50# plus lift with the 5 count dead stop !!!

Mike and Jedd - remember that Jedd's handles are longer than mine will be when you are working on your openers. Let's see a 50# plus lift with the 5 count dead stop !!!

No 50 pounders. HAHA After 5 hours of braced bending, I was able to get 32 pounds to go, but it was HARD! On Jedd's set-up you have to kneel to do it, which makes it a bit awkward for this old body, but I think I should be good for 40 or so at Gripmas.

Is anyone else training this? What are your findings?

I tried it without the top "rack" that will be in Gripmas but did use the table part. I brought it down and touched my head (thanks to Brent for the helmet idea) - let it sit there for a 5 count to see how it might compare - I did exactly the same weight I have been doing - so I think if you guys are using some kind of table etc - you should be fine. .

Chris,

With the hammer on the upper rack, I have trouble keeping my forearms flat on the table - my wrist just simply will not move that far into radial deviation.

Is that going to be a DQ on the hammers?

Jedd

Chris,

With the hammer on the upper rack, I have trouble keeping my forearms flat on the table - my wrist just simply will not move that far into radial deviation.

Is that going to be a DQ on the hammers?

Jedd

No - everyone's wrists are going to do that - I won't allow anything like a Triceps press of course but it will be no problem.

Remember that your entry form is due this weekend - please get them sent in on time.

Thanks for the clarification, again, Chris.

who else has signed on?

Andrew Durniant - Elite

I win :D

who else has signed on?

Andrew Durniant - Elite

I win :D

Add Brent and Mary Ann to the list.

Updated Gripmas Competitors List

Chris Rice - Light Weight

Austin Acree - Open

Andrew Durniant - Elite

Brent Barbe - Open

Mary Ann Mc Keague - Ladies

Josh Dale - Light Weight

Are any additional people coming to the presentations the night before the contest?

My new partner, Eric, is coming over to train tonight for the first time in a couple weeks. He just got anew job with a more hectic schedule. I will be talking to him about getting his entry fee and info sent in.

At one point, John Eaton was going to be coming, in fact he and I were proposing riding together. Any word from him?

What about Bob Lipinski? I thought he was wagering money on the Hammer event?

Anybody know of anyone else planning on making the trip?