The Gripmas Carol 2011

climber511

Climber, thanks for sending these. I am glad to upload them for you.

This video explains the Sledge Event

This video demonstrates the Sledge Event

Thanks again Chris - let me know if you need me to upload any other clips.

Jedd

After watching this I am feeling really good about the event. I have been lowering to my forehead.

As a promoter - I kind of felt that letting people go for maximum weight sledges to the forehead in a contest setting might not be the safest thing around :glare: - the rack will keep people from knocking their selves out - but yes it does shorten the range of motion some. In my various conversations with people about the event - it seems many of you have 32.5" handles - can one of you math wizards tell us how much difference there is between my 31" handles and 32.5" handles - is it as simple as doing a ratio? I would suggest that at some point you guys mark your handles to 31" so you can better figure out your openers at least - shouldn't matter any for the training. Guys are training this in different ways - it's going to be interesting to see what people lift in it. I expect the winner is going to really surprise some people with how much is done.

I think the 2 hand version makes the max face lever a lot safer even without the rack. you're far less likely to lose control than you would be with a single hammer.

we did max hammers at MGC a couple years ago. since it was a platform in the middle of the room you had spotters on all sides. I don't think anyone got hurt losing a hammer.

As a promoter - I kind of felt that letting people go for maximum weight sledges to the forehead in a contest setting might not be the safest thing around :glare: - the rack will keep people from knocking their selves out - but yes it does shorten the range of motion some. In my various conversations with people about the event - it seems many of you have 32.5" handles - can one of you math wizards tell us how much difference there is between my 31" handles and 32.5" handles - is it as simple as doing a ratio? I would suggest that at some point you guys mark your handles to 31" so you can better figure out your openers at least - shouldn't matter any for the training. Guys are training this in different ways - it's going to be interesting to see what people lift in it. I expect the winner is going to really surprise some people with how much is done.

31" is the standard sledge length used for levering.

It's an inch pounds thing. 40 lbs X 1.5" = 60 inch pounds. 31" X 40 lbs = 1240 inch pounds. So, the extra 1.5" makes it about 5% harder (4.83%).

So let's say that you are a hypothetical strongman and used a 28" hammer for your shows. That would make it about 11% easier than the standard 31" sledge. Or a 30 pound sledge feel like the equivalent of a 27 lb sledge. If you were to have a small knob on the handle end of the sledge that had a lb of lead in it to counter balance things, now we're at 26 lbs. Throw in some stiff wrist wraps and you're probably somewhere down around 24 lbs. All that stuff adds up, but the length of the handle more than anything. Every inch you cut the handle down is 28 inch pounds of torque off your wrists.

31" is the standard sledge length used for levering.

It's an inch pounds thing. 40 lbs X 1.5" = 60 inch pounds. 31" X 40 lbs = 1240 inch pounds. So, the extra 1.5" makes it about 5% harder (4.83%).

So at 50# - we're talking about 2.5# difference then between the handles? And before you ask - of course I am doing 50# - for reps actually. I also have a bride for sale if you believe that one.

And Brent - isn't that how Eaton got hurt - due to a bad spot and losing control on a max one hand lever? As a promoter I like the added safety.

And Brent - isn't that how Eaton got hurt - due to a bad spot and losing control on a max one hand lever? As a promoter I like the added safety.

possibly. I am thinking of 2 years ago???? Eaton wasn't there that year. I do recal eaton getting hurt. I do know hammers are usually at MGC in some form. I don't know if he got hurt there and if he did, what he was doing.

I do agree that the double hammer rail setup should be safe. in fact, I think the side rails are almost not needed with the 2 handles. unless someone lets go. in which case the head will flip stuff around, chaos. someone could also load them wrong and get their head pounded by flying weights.

John did get hurt at MGC, in 08, I believe. He didn't whack himself but the sledge got sideways on him and popped his elbow. He said it still hurts him.

Take one off the 82.5kg/LW list. My friend got his vacation request denied today. :angry2:

Chris, yes. Using a 50 lb sledge, an extra 1.5" on the handle would make it feel ~ like a 52.5 lb sledge at 31".

Chris, yes. Using a 50 lb sledge, an extra 1.5" on the handle would make it feel ~ like a 52.5 lb sledge at 31".

OK - that's my prediction then - 52.5# for the win. Anyone else care to make a guess?

I think it will be much higher than that. weren't the numbers for the single hand version in the mid 30#'s? I think that the 2 hand will go over 60#

OK - that's my prediction then - 52.5# for the win. Anyone else care to make a guess?

I think the winner will lever 60+.

I was thinking Bob and Mike both did 29.5# on the one hand and that was without the dead stop - 60#, really? I will be surprised - I was hoping to do well overall and 60 is way way out of my league on it with the dead stop. Are any of you guys close to doing that in your training? Wow.

I think 42ish will win it unless it becomes a whole body lever but I've been wrong before.

I'd base that on the following:

- the dead stop is huge and Bob and Mike aren't levering anything close to a 29 with a deadstop

-Can Bob and Mike lever 29 with either hand? Most are significantly weaker with one hand.

-Chris said he's already done 40 but he was the guy that won last year and he's been going crazy on his wrist thingy all year so he's the favorite IMO. If you review contest hx, Chris has always done well on lever and wrist events, so again, his numbers are going to be competitive to say the least.

• Like 1

the rest on frame is a good bit different from a dead stop. I was doing face levers with my 16. resting them vs no rest was much easier.

if only there was some way we could decide this...

myself, I plan to go well over 40.

I just tried 50# this morning - WOWSA! 60#? - man I'd love to see that - I'll stick with my 52.5# and it sure won't be me that does it. 60# will NOT go doing the event this way - period!

I think the two handle version gives you a big advantage over one hand because it stabilizes the lever. It's almost like riding the rail with the single sledge except without any friction. The two hand "should" be higher than 2X the best one hand from a paused dead stop, like 2HP vs. 1HP. I just have no idea of guessing what that number would be. Whatever DUing a bastard in IMPs equals will be what I'll do. Not sure if that's 30# or 60#. :huh:

I'm not sure how it can become a full body movement with the platform there. Especially if you put it right at arm pit height. But however it is set up and however it is judged, I'm looking forward to giving it my best and if the wrists keep strengthening and I avoid injury, I think I have a shot to hang with Josh, Chris, Bob and the other lightweights in this event.

If I had to venture a guess, I would say somewhere between 50 and 55 lbs will take the victory. 45 would not surprise me, but 60 would shock the heck out of me.

That's a ton of torque to generate on the wrists from a paused stop. It will be interesting if we can keep preloaded tension on the handles during the pause. That helps a ton in DU and reverse bending. The other factor is discomfort. Unless you work with the sledges a lot between now and then or do a ton of bending, your wrists and the area between your thumb and forefinger will be in for a huge shock when this thing goes above 40#. I've gotten to where most of that area is pretty oblivious to pain at this point. I can tear deep chunks of skin off of it without even noticing until minutes later. And the wrists don't feel much until I step up in bar difficulty by a fair bit above my current best. Nothing feels worse than a DU bend where you hit it with everything you have and the dang thing doesn't move. :cry I have a feeling, this will feel very similar when the weight climbs up there. Pain tolerance may be as much of a limiting factor as strength if you haven't conditioned yourself for it.

Anyway, I am pumped as heck for the contest. The weight is coming off nicely and I don't see any issue with getting down to 208 by then. Good luck to everyone and safe training!

The high point of this is the stability with the double set up. The low point is getting it started after the 5 count on the stop - if I can get it started - I can usually finish it all right. And yes Mike - it hurts like the devil - I have some bruising in the webbing. Mike's training method of DU bending - it will be interesting to see how it carries over to actual hammers.

The high point of this is the stability with the double set up. The low point is getting it started after the 5 count on the stop - if I can get it started - I can usually finish it all right. And yes Mike - it hurts like the devil - I have some bruising in the webbing. Mike's training method of DU bending - it will be interesting to see how it carries over to actual hammers.

DU and reverse. ;) They are pretty close right now.

I do play around with my 8 lb sledge every day, but I have been doing that for a long time to strengthen the wrists in all directions. But no real heavy sledge training at all. This could all backfire and I bomb out at 16#. :blush

the rest on frame is a good bit different from a dead stop. I was doing face levers with my 16. resting them vs no rest was much easier.

if only there was some way we could decide this...

myself, I plan to go well over 40.

You sir are a mutant! I can bust a triple with the 16 while waiting for the dryer to stop spinning, with no rest. If I rest it on my forehead for a 5 count though, I'd better be committed if it's to go anywhere.

Mike,

I would work some dead stop stuff in and get a feel. This is the worst pain I have ever felt training for a contest (not counting injuries). My wrists have felt pretty healthy except when doing this event.

The pain I feel on this far out-weighs what I would ever feel doing wrist roller sled drag.

Mike,

I would work some dead stop stuff in and get a feel. This is the worst pain I have ever felt training for a contest (not counting injuries). My wrists have felt pretty healthy except when doing this event.

The pain I feel on this far out-weighs what I would ever feel doing wrist roller sled drag.

Can't imagine it's worse than the pain I felt hitting that 5/16 "-1 drill rod over and over DU, but I'll have to take your word as I have no way to train it other than DU and reverse bending. :)

Isos everyday like these, along with a ton of reverse and DU bends that go are how I'm training for the sledges. This is the first time I have moved an Edgin DU by the way. Pretty happy with it.