The Gripmas Carol 2011

climber511

I had my last real grip workout today - went pretty heavy but not to a real max. I will do a pretty good overall body workout Tuesday with VERY light grip. What are your tactics for the last week coming into a contest?

I had my last real grip workout today - went pretty heavy but not to a real max. I will do a pretty good overall body workout Tuesday with VERY light grip. What are your tactics for the last week coming into a contest?

My last grip day was on Thursday. This week also happens to be a total-body deload week for me. Usually I like my de-load week to be 2 weeks out from a comp and then have a one week build back before the comp.

My contest is just to see if I can make weight. Anything beyond that will be gravy. I started the diet one week too late, so this is going to be a miserable week trying to lose enough. I weighed in at 223.4 yesterday. Loaded up on carbs and got in a couple bends and a long hike with Mrs. R. Starting this morning, I am severely restricting calories and carbs and adding in extra cardio. I will assess Thursday morning if I am close enough to the limit to safely cut water and make it. I'll need to be under 220. If I am, I'll then start the cut. If I'm not, I will say screw it and carb up and come in around 225, which is about where I want to keep my weight going forward. For the second leg of WSH, I weighed in at 259, so however this plays out I am pretty happy with how this weight loss went.

As for grip training, it has been non-existent due to buggering up my thumbs bending a 12" adjustable wrench awhile back. They are finally starting to feel better though, so I will be able to compete in all the events. I have bent every day in some form or fashion and my DU and reverse are as strong as they have ever been. Hopefully that means I'll get a decent number in the sledge event, but I really have no idea. I plan on bending horseshoes today and deadlifting tomorrow. After that, I doubt I will have any energy left to do much more than cardio.

I'm just really looking forward to seeing everyone and having a good time.

I might actually need the Friday night weigh-in :grin: I was 209# this morning! Looks like my post-Thanksgiving diet hasn't been as controlled as I thought!

Josh,

I'm in the same boat at 212# yesterday morning. Oops.

You guys keep eating and I'll win the light weight class by default :)

Chris did you get my email about the laptop?

Chris did you get my email about the laptop?

OK guys - I now have a problem. We were going to use Jedd's Laptop for scoring for Gripmas - but it just died on him. Does anyone else have a laptop they can (and are willing to) bring - I have the program to do the scoring with all set up - all we'd have to do is put it on - it's just an Excel Sheet? If not I can make it work by running in and out of the house and using my home computer.

Chris,

I can bring mine for the event.

I have one as well and can throw it in the car if needed. Just please don't let me leave without it!

Chris,

I can bring mine for the event.

Thanks Andrew - please PM me your email address and I'll email it to you and you can play with it a little and see how it works - but Jedd and I can do it also so no worries.

Andrew P and Josh - Thanks for offering to bring the laptops. Sorry for the last minute hassle, Chris.

No problem Jedd - just glad it didn't happen in the middle of the meet!

Best wishes to all the competitors. I feel bad that I won't be able to make it this year, but I definitely plan to compete in grip again sometime down the road.

Have fun and be safe. I'll be rooting for all of you to set some massive PR's!

Damn Jedd, just too wore out to go. I donated the money for Chris to build the hammer set.

Good luck to everyone!

Rinderle will be in the open class. Hit a wall at 222. Did drop 37 lbs since leg 2 of WSH though.

Now Chris Rice and I can get down to business :grin: All jokes aside, that's amazing Mike and your joints, heart, and dependants will no doubt be thankful.

that still gives you time to make 82.5K for worlds strongest hands.

Rinderle will be in the open class. Hit a wall at 222. Did drop 37 lbs since leg 2 of WSH though.

Now Chris Rice and I can get down to business :grin: All jokes aside, that's amazing Mike and your joints, heart, and dependants will no doubt be thankful.

Thanks Josh. I do feel much better and my BP is down a bit too.

that still gives you time to make 82.5K for worlds strongest hands.

I'd have to cut off a leg and probably an arm.

Reminders

Andrew P - laptop

Jedd - please bring - Big Blob - 2 HP stuff - Eaton's Inch DB - and grippers

Nick - please bring your Anvil

Doc - please bring your Fatman Blob and your Inch DB

Andrew D - please bring your Timer - Bumpers and grippers

To Others - please bring grippers that have been RGC rated - already in chokers - more steps = good

A GPS note - once you get into Crooksville your GPS will tell you to turn right onto Railroad St - do NOT do that - continue straight up Main St to the second traffic light - then turn right on Star St and then left onto Burley - 5th house on the left - we have permission to park in the Funeral Home parking lot across the street or on the street (one side parking only).

Spoke too soon. Won't be competing at all. Got Pearl Harbored this morning. Restructuring at my company and I walked into a layoff for my Christmas bonus. Company bought us recently and they cut 50% of locations and staff around company. Can't really justify the trip given the circumstances. Good luck to all the competitors! Chris, let me know who wins the Hammering Horseshoes DVDs I am donating and I will mail them their prize. Get their addresses too.

Spoke too soon. Won't be competing at all. Got Pearl Harbored this morning. Restructuring at my company and I walked into a layoff for my Christmas bonus. Company bought us recently and they cut 50% of locations and staff around company. Can't really justify the trip given the circumstances. Good luck to all the competitors! Chris, let me know who wins the Hammering Horseshoes DVDs I am donating and I will mail them their prize. Get their addresses too.

Dang that sucks! I'll send back your entry money - it's not much but it might help out just a little.

Unfortunate. Good luck with all and we'll see you soon.

Sorry to hear that, Mike.That's a feeling I don't care to experience again. Sending positive thoughts your way.