The Gripmas Carol 2011

climber511

Videos should be all be public now. Some of the annotations get screwed up on the blog(?) but are fine on the youtube channel

Videos should be all be public now. Some of the annotations get screwed up on the blog(?) but are fine on the youtube channel

Great work Josh! Excellent choked gripper close by the way!

Things went really quickly this year. fewer athletes and faster pinch made things zip along. in fact I missed my last 2hp weight while at the bathroom. just not used to things going so quickly. the grippers went about as expected. I wasn't where I wanted to be in relation to last year but, I spent the better part of 6 months struggling with a hand injury that mostly stalled my gripper training. the hammers were a lot more painful than training with singles. don't know if that was the pause or the narrow spacing. I think training with the proper double hammers would only have led to more thumb issues. I ended up with a strained thumb joint from the hammers, much like reverse bending with thick wraps causes. didn't realize it until the medley though. medley was way off because my right thumb was strained from the hammers. not the end of the world but, frustrating. I feel I could have had every item if that hadn't happened. but, that's the breaks. herc hold had a surprise for a couple of us. tricep pain/injury/something. I think Chris, Malcolm, and myself had to let go of the handles because something started to happen in our triceps. whatever it was, a torn tri wasn't worth an extra couple of seconds in an event.

it was a really fun, smoothly run comp. I want to thank Chris and Theresa for putting it on and having us all there. congrats to Andrew, Jedd, and Brendan on their new WR. and congrats to Brendan for making the 2hp top 50.

Brendan is the man - er boy - er man - or whatever. The guy is seriously strong! Amazing Hercules Hold!!!

Nice job Guys! Some Big Numbers there! Wish I could of made it I'll shoot for next year.

This was a very smoothly run comp and loaded with awesome performances.

I stuck around in Ohio for an extra day and shot a new DVD with Steve Slater, and I took yesterday off. Just catching up on things now.

It was great watching the other guys awesome performances. I see the lightweight pinch record being contested heavily throughout the world in the next several months. The dust has not settled on that completely yet. With more comps will be more advancements.

Full write-up at my site soon.

Keep up the good work guys.

Good comp, Chris.

Jedd

I want to give special Thanks to Sean Dockery and Tony (Doc’s young helper) for making everything possible. With them doing all the work everything ran as smooth as silk I thought. Sean is THE JUDGE for a grip competition – no doubt about it! Also Thank You to everyone there for jumping in and helping move things around – load - or whatever needed done at the time. Gripmas wouldn’t have been possible without the selfless attitudes of everyone each year. Thanks to all!

Doc and Tony took over two of the hardest parts of running a comp and did a fantastic job!

One thing I managed to somehow miss in my write-up was a thanks to all of the sponsors!

• Mike Rinderle donated some of his new Hammering Horseshoes dvds. Eventually I want to make a run at horseshoes. I'm not into bending but I just think the horseshoes look neat and want a few for the grandkid stories some day.
  • Bob Lipinski donated the funds for the creation of a double sledge replica WOW!!! That's pretty awesome because unless you're as handy as Chris, good luck building one
  • Andrew Durniat gave out some great gear bags and I'm sure it will double nicely as a range bag as well!
  • IronMind donated a 3.5 and some gift certificates and that looked to be one hard 3.5 judging by the width.
  • Chris not only held the contest but donated some nice loading pins, a climber curl, loadable dumbells, and as always some great trophies.

Sorry if I missed anyone.

One thing I managed to somehow miss in my write-up was a thanks to all of the sponsors!

• Mike Rinderle donated some of his new Hammering Horseshoes dvds. Eventually I want to make a run at horseshoes. I'm not into bending but I just think the horseshoes look neat and want a few for the grandkid stories some day.
  • Bob Lipinski donated the funds for the creation of a double sledge replica WOW!!! That's pretty awesome because unless you're as handy as Chris, good luck building one
  • Andrew Durniat gave out some great gear bags and I'm sure it will double nicely as a range bag as well!
  • IronMind donated a 3.5 and some gift certificates and that looked to be one hard 3.5 judging by the width.
  • Chris not only held the contest but donated some nice loading pins, a climber curl, loadable dumbells, and as always some great trophies.

Josh - the COC 3.5 was actually donated by Todd Coen along with a Super Elite, a Quad Band, and a couple clamps for thumb work. I'd like to add my Thanks to all the Sponsors as well - what would a contest be without all the cool toys. I won one of the gift certificates from Randall - having a hard time deciding what to get - darn catalog has too many neat toys in it - makes it hard to choose.

Would it be possible to get a list of the sponsors please? I would like to write them all a note.

Thanks.

Jedd

Sponsors

Iron Mind - Randall Strossen

Bob Lipinski

Todd Coen

Andrew Durniant

Jedd Johnson

Mike Rinderle

Chris Rice

Farmstrength – Sean Dockery

Josh - the COC 3.5 was actually donated by Todd Coen along with a Super Elite, a Quad Band, and a couple clamps for thumb work. I'd like to add my Thanks to all the Sponsors as well - what would a contest be without all the cool toys. I won one of the gift certificates from Randall - having a hard time deciding what to get - darn catalog has too many neat toys in it - makes it hard to choose.

Sorry about that Todd! Todd donated some great grippers to KC Qualifier as well

Todd is a regular supporter of grip contests throughout the nation. Thanks bud! Can't wait to meet you one day soon.

The DVDs went out in the mail today guys. Enjoy!

Missed you at the contest buddy! Thanks for everything you do for grip!

There has been much talk about Slim “The Hammerman” Farman and his sledge hammer levering feats. I don’t think very many people truly understand what a pair of sledge hammers that big actually feels like in your hands. As I was starting to train for my version of the event for Gripmas – I started to realize what amount of just pain tolerance was needed – let alone the strength necessary – and we were only doing the last half of a “Slim Lever”. Now I am sure Slim’s hands were much tougher than mine from his work of swinging a sledge all day long but dang. Just with the weights I was using I tore some tissue in my thumb pad and had to use gloves to continue training for a while – my hands hurt pretty much the whole time I trained for it. And my hands got “hard” – sort of hard to explain maybe but those who did the event here probably understand. I tried a few levers out of my rack of course and everyone who thinks they are the next Slim the Hammerman should grab a pair of hammers weighing 56 to 70# and just try them. And then do them off the floor – to the head isn’t even the hard part.

There has been much talk about Slim “The Hammerman” Farman and his sledge hammer levering feats. I don’t think very many people truly understand what a pair of sledge hammers that big actually feels like in your hands. As I was starting to train for my version of the event for Gripmas – I started to realize what amount of just pain tolerance was needed – let alone the strength necessary – and we were only doing the last half of a “Slim Lever”. Now I am sure Slim’s hands were much tougher than mine from his work of swinging a sledge all day long but dang. Just with the weights I was using I tore some tissue in my thumb pad and had to use gloves to continue training for a while – my hands hurt pretty much the whole time I trained for it. And my hands got “hard” – sort of hard to explain maybe but those who did the event here probably understand. I tried a few levers out of my rack of course and everyone who thinks they are the next Slim the Hammerman should grab a pair of hammers weighing 56 to 70# and just try them. And then do them off the floor – to the head isn’t even the hard part.

Yes and get comfortable enough to do them as part of your show; read as 70# was not his max

Back at ya buddy! Let me know how you do with the wrench I sent you. Those are good 8" wrenches to bend as are the Buyer's Value Brand. Unfortunately, True Value recently discontinued the Buyer's Value and they are getting harder to find. Craftsman came out with a discount brand called the Craftsman EVO. If and when I get a job, I will give them a run and let you know if they are reasonable.

Back at ya buddy! Let me know how you do with the wrench I sent you. Those are good 8" wrenches to bend as are the Buyer's Value Brand. Unfortunately, True Value recently discontinued the Buyer's Value and they are getting harder to find. Craftsman came out with a discount brand called the Craftsman EVO. If and when I get a job, I will give them a run and let you know if they are reasonable.

I received your package today. I'll let you know about the wrench you sent. I found one at Walmat a couple days ago for under $4 - it was hard as heck but broke instead of bending very far - it wasn't pot metal - just brittle. I bought a set of 3 wrenches as well - I haven't tried those yet. Thanks for the DVD - I'll watch it tonight!