The Gripmas Carol 2011

climber511

Good thing Gripmas isn't today because I'm actually a pound over after my Thanksgiving performance :grin:

Edited by jad

Good thing Gripmas isn't today because I'm actually a pound over after my Thanksgiving performance :grin:

I weighed 202 the day before Thanksgiving - I afraid to get back on the scales myself - my God but I pigged out!

Gripmas - two weeks to go. I'm training this Saturday morning if anyone wants to come and play.

• Remember the swap meet – sales thing. Bring your stuff to sell or trade. You’ll have a chance to move stuff you don’t use any more and get new stuff to play with. Bring a list on paper if you have stuff you’d like to sell or trade and can’t bring the items with you because of size etc – you never know. One man’s junk is another man’s treasure as they say.
  • If you have RGC rated Grippers – please bring them already set up in chokers – the more choices we have the better – put your name on the tag please. I have RGC 51-58-84-103-120-134-136-141-146-150-156-165-175-182-185-191-195. We can use anything in between any of those and of course some harder ones up to maybe 225# or so.
  • Don’t forget your camera – still and video.
  • Be prepared for a long day – bring your chair and snacks etc. I’m furnishing water and pop plus supper but not lunch.
  • 2 HP – we will do a coin flip to see if we start with thick or thin first. Lightest weight will be the bare implement.
  • Double Sledge Lever – be aware that the base or lowest weight possible is approximately 23#. We will be going up in 2.5# jumps. So roughly – 23 – 25 – 27.5 – 30 – 32.5 etc.
  • The ladies class will do single sledge with the same rules unless they can do that base weight. If we have a Ladies class? Lightest Ladies weight is 6# (single).
  • Medley will be very similar to last year except there will be some different weights for the different classes. There will be a Reverse bend and a short braced bend in the Medley – you may use my wraps or your own so bring yours if you want to use them – you will do your own wrapping also. Leather is allowed.
  • Hercules Hold – I have posted pictures of the set up. It will take a few people to lift the weights – give the lifter the handles etc but I think it will work easy enough. It will be adjustable for height and long – short arms etc. I haven't actually used it myself - if I have totally messed it up - we'll have to wing it. :)

Usually there are a few of us out in garage the night before messing around - please stop by if you are around and visit a while.

• 9 AM – Weigh In if needed - you can weigh in the night before except for the 82.5 class.
  • Please try to be early rather than late L
  • 9:30 AM – Everyone sign Liability Release and draw numbers for gripper order. Rules meeting – you can start warming up / deciding on openers for grippers.
  • 9:55 AM –– take Group Photo – help me remember to do this please.
  • 10:00 AM – Start contest
  • Grippers – NOT rising bar – you can go up or down.
  • Two Hand Pinch – decide on your width – flip coin for thick/thin first. Warm up as we go as usual – rising bar.
  • Warm up – find your opener for double sledges – rising bar.
  • Medley will be done in this order. Ladies – Lightweight – Open – Elite. It will be in reverse order of where you stand in your class at the end of the sledge event.
  • Hercules Hold will also be run in the same order as above with reverse order of your placement after the Medley. Something I plan to do is not announce the times as we go along – I think it provides a real advantage if you know what time you have to do to beat someone else – no clocks visible to the competitor.
  • Eat
  • Awards Presentations
  • Talks by Jedd , Andrew, and Adam

Hercules Hold will also be run in the same order as above with reverse order of your placement after the Medley. Something I plan to do is not announce the times as we go along – I think it provides a real advantage if you know what time you have to do to beat someone else – no clocks visible to the competitor.

so, what about my wife standing there yelling the times at me???

Hercules Hold will also be run in the same order as above with reverse order of your placement after the Medley. Something I plan to do is not announce the times as we go along – I think it provides a real advantage if you know what time you have to do to beat someone else – no clocks visible to the competitor.

so, what about my wife standing there yelling the times at me???

I'm sure Mary Ann will be yelling at you all right - just not the time :)

A small possibility you might have a Team Boss Guy or 2 I am going to work on them this weekend.

Nick - does it look like any of the Team Boss guys are coming?

I don't understand why we're having a standardized event and then changing the rules up. with percentile scoring you're going to hang on as long as possible to make up ground over each other. it wouldn't make any sense to drop the handles just because you beat Jedd by a second.

• Hercules Hold will also be run in the same order as above with reverse order of your placement after the Medley. Something I plan to do is not announce the times as we go along – I think it provides a real advantage if you know what time you have to do to beat someone else – no clocks visible to the competitor.

I don't get this rule change? If you are going early in the Herc Hold, it's because you haven't performed as well as the rest of the people in your group up to this point anyway. Times are recorded and announced in all other holds for time in Grip and Strongman. All one has to do is keep a timer going in his hand while the other people go and then methodically count their pown performance and they will be pretty close anyway????

I don't get this rule change? If you are going early in the Herc Hold, it's because you haven't performed as well as the rest of the people in your group up to this point anyway. Times are recorded and announced in all other holds for time in Grip and Strongman. All one has to do is keep a timer going in his hand while the other people go and then methodically count their pown performance and they will be pretty close anyway????

First I never knew there were rules on this event - sorry. OK here's what I mean and probably didn't explain well. Guy #1 goes and we'll say does 50 seconds - that will be announced as soon as he finishes. Guy number 2 goes and what I mean is that no one will be calling out the time as he goes along but his time will be announced when he finishes. Even though it's Grip Bash scoring I feel knowing exactly where you are in relation to your competition is an advantage that first guy didn't have. Where I think this is (or could be ) important is in the Elite Class this time where there are only the two competitors who are always nip and tuck throughout. Not so much in the Open etc as there are several competitors. I just want to be as fair as I can be to everyone. I remember hearing comments about this being an unfair advantage out at Beatty's is why I thought of this. If no one has a problem with calling out the times as we go along - I'm good with that - or maybe better yet - place a timer in front of the competitor so he can see? I'm open to what everyone thinks here.

Please chime in if you have thoughts on this.

Edited by climber511

Oh Brent - it looks like Justin and Katie will not be coming if you would let Mary Ann know please.

I say stay with traditional rules.

i don't recall that issue being aired, although it is possible - that was what 4 years ago?

I know if I was ahead of Andrew a slim margin, I would expect him to have Kyle or someone else shouting out times. It is just part of the event.

Knowing the time as it is advancing seems no different from knowing the number of reps you have completed in a max-rep event or knowing how much time is left in a medley to me. Maybe Andrew can weigh in with his view.

Jedd

I say stay with traditional rules.

i don't recall that issue being aired, although it is possible - that was what 4 years ago?

This was actually said to me a couple times after I won the event - it bothered me that people thought that I had somehow "cheated" or had an advantage.

I know if I was ahead of Andrew a slim margin, I would expect him to have Kyle or someone else shouting out times. It is just part of the event.

Knowing the time as it is advancing seems no different from knowing the number of reps you have completed in a max-rep event or knowing how much time is left in a medley to me. Maybe Andrew can weigh in with his view.

I would rather have the timer out front as well - I'm sure everyone will be screaming as usual - that way you could see as well as hear the times.

Jedd

Edited by climber511

I am still working on Rick. He might have some famliy stuff that day so I would not count on them. Anything more from Brian?

Edited by nickr104

So as Gilda Radner would say - "Never Mind"

I see the advantage of knowing your time/place, but also feel that is the reward for doing well in previous events. I'll play either way, with no complaints.

If you're asking for votes, mine is to go with a timer, preferably the boxing one Andrew brought and have it placed where the competitor can see it. Is knowing the time you have to beat an advantage-Sure but you earned it and it's no different than two guys that are neck and neck on pinch and pinch on different widths. Anybody that said you won the BBB HH because of the order you went in just has sour grapes.

I see the advantage of knowing your time/place, but also feel that is the reward for doing well in previous events. I'll play either way, with no complaints.

Andrew - could you bring your timer please?

You are perfectly fair Chris. Good idea with first place going last- I might even steal it from you.

Well now I know why you beat everyone else at BBB! Seriously though, you earned that. I have never heard a word otherwise.

in those timed events there's always someone who says"oh, well, I would have held longer if knew what time I had to beat." I call BS. like JAD said, sour grapes.

Andrew - could you bring your timer please?

Already planned on it for the medley..:)

May have to switch me to lightweight. 224 this morning and still dropping fast (down 35 since the second leg of WSH). If I get around 217, I should be able to cut enough. It will be nip and tuck for the weigh-in. :grin: At 6'4", I'm starting to look downright skinny. :rolleyes

Edited by Mike Rinderle

You are perfectly fair Chris. Good idea with first place going last- I might even steal it from you.

Well now I know why you beat everyone else at BBB! Seriously though, you earned that. I have never heard a word otherwise.

Bob, I thought you were coming to Gripmas to dominate on these sledge hammers?

May have to switch me to lightweight. 224 this morning and still dropping fast (down 35 since the second leg of WSH). If I get around 217, I should be able to cut enough. It will be nip and tuck for the weigh-in. :grin: At 6'4", I'm starting to look downright skinny. :rolleyes

Me and you - mano a mano - gonna be a war :)

I am getting close as well.

Jedd - I'll let you compete at Light Weight if you use only one leg - or one arm - your choice :)