The Gripmas Carol 2011

climber511

Josh - think back to what you did the year we did the one hand sledge for a max weight. That was when Bob Lipinski and Mike Kraling went 29.5# with one hand in my rack. I don't know how those conditions are going to compare really is what I meant. I don't know if they can do 60# with the doubles this time or not. I did 25# or so back then and I KNOW I am not going to do 50 with the doubles this time. The rules then though were not from a dead stop - which makes a big difference of course. Train hard - you'll do just fine.

• Like 1

If you are into this event, make a double hammer. My ghetto version works fine- 2 hammers with 3 short 2x4's in between, all screwed together. I will be rebuilding it this weekend.

From what I remember, shoulder raising doesn't really happen with your arms locked together. For me raising the shoulder is usually a consequence of exertion, rather than an effort to make the lever easier.

Mike, that is very impressive about your weight loss goal! Would you mind sharing with me how you plan to lose that much weight that quickly? I need all the help I can get losing the last 12-14lbs before November 12th.

No problem Ben. I added in a small amount of cardio (running 2 - 3 times per week) and have cut out sweets and sugary drinks. Seems to be working so far. To keep my weight up in the 260 - 270 range, I had to eat 5000 calories a day, so if I can stay active keep my calories under 3000, I should be good. Only lost a couple pounds this week because i have been eating a little more for Leg 3 of WSH. After that though, I hope to drop to 225 pretty quickly.

I'm not a naturally big guy. I weighed 170 at 6'3 when I was younger and stayed between 205 and 220 for years. After my back surgeries, I started lifting heavier and slowly climbed up to my max weight of 272 early in 2010.

My metabolism has slowed as I've climbed into my mid 40s, but I think if I stopped lifting and taking creatine I would naturally settle in around 225.

Mike, that is very impressive about your weight loss goal! Would you mind sharing with me how you plan to lose that much weight that quickly? I need all the help I can get losing the last 12-14lbs before November 12th.

No problem Ben. I added in a small amount of cardio (running 2 - 3 times per week) and have cut out sweets and sugary drinks. Seems to be working so far. To keep my weight up in the 260 - 270 range, I had to eat 5000 calories a day, so if I can stay active keep my calories under 3000, I should be good. Only lost a couple pounds this week because i have been eating a little more for Leg 3 of WSH. After that though, I hope to drop to 225 pretty quickly.

I'm not a naturally big guy. I weighed 170 at 6'3 when I was younger and stayed between 205 and 220 for years. After my back surgeries, I started lifting heavier and slowly climbed up to my max weight of 272 early in 2010.

My metabolism has slowed as I've climbed into my mid 40s, but I think if I stopped lifting and taking creatine I would naturally settle in around 225.

Thanks Mike! Sounds similar to me in terms of activity I'm doing. I've been doing lots of long walks and trying to lift less - hoping muscle mass will go down if that's what it takes to hit 199lbs.

Thanks Mike! Sounds similar to me in terms of activity I'm doing. I've been doing lots of long walks and trying to lift less - hoping muscle mass will go down if that's what it takes to hit 199lbs.

I'm still bending a ton, but have cut back on the lifting. I really had to work to put all this mass on and keep it. Had i never started lifting and trying to gain, I'd probably still be walking around in the low 200s. Hopefully I can get back down there pretty quickly.

I'm still bending a ton, but have cut back on the lifting. I really had to work to put all this mass on and keep it. Had i never started lifting and trying to gain, I'd probably still be walking around in the low 200s. Hopefully I can get back down there pretty quickly.

The best thing I've found to cut weight is just to get on the recumbent bike and go forever. You can put it on a lower level and catch up on your reading, watch tv, whatever. An hour a night is very reasonable; just pop it in front of your tv and start pedaling. My butt usually gets tired long before my lungs or legs. Because it's so low impact you can literally do it every night vs. something like a C2 rower or kb cardio. Hope this helps

Josh - think back to what you did the year we did the one hand sledge for a max weight. That was when Bob Lipinski and Mike Kraling went 29.5# with one hand in my rack. I don't know how those conditions are going to compare really is what I meant. I don't know if they can do 60# with the doubles this time or not. I did 25# or so back then and I KNOW I am not going to do 50 with the doubles this time. The rules then though were not from a dead stop - which makes a big difference of course. Train hard - you'll do just fine.

Eaton and I have been talking and we're of the notion that 40-42ish will win it this year. Should be interesting!

Edited by jad

The best thing I've found to cut weight is just to get on the recumbent bike and go forever. You can put it on a lower level and catch up on your reading, watch tv, whatever. An hour a night is very reasonable; just pop it in front of your tv and start pedaling. My butt usually gets tired long before my lungs or legs. Because it's so low impact you can literally do it every night vs. something like a C2 rower or kb cardio. Hope this helps

Eaton and I have been talking and we're of the notion that 40-42ish will win it this year. Should be interesting!

40 - 42# will NOT win in my opinion - if people actually train this thing hard it will go higher than that I believe. I just did my 3rd session on it and did 40 - heck - I will go over 40 I think and I don't believe I'll be close to winning it.

40 - 42# will NOT win in my opinion - if people actually train this thing hard it will go higher than that I believe. I just did my 3rd session on it and did 40 - heck - I will go over 40 I think and I don't believe I'll be close to winning it.

Who won it last year?

Who won it last year?

the double sledge event was fixed weight for reps last year. i think chris beat us all

After how tired WSH made me and how beat up I feel, I probably won't make gripmas. I will train the double sledge though.

After how tired WSH made me and how beat up I feel, I probably won't make gripmas. I will train the double sledge though.

It will be worth the drive just to compete against me at 208 buddy. :laugh

One thing I learned is not to make any decisions right after an event. After the Beast in the East contest last year, I decided I never wanted to bend again because I was so beat up. But after about 6 weeks, I started feeling much better and started hitting it hard again.

I don't have a heavy sledge or a double sledge. My plan for training this event is working toward two of my 2012 goals: Edgin DU and reverse. If I can get my wrists to that point, I would fully expect to have the wrist strength to double sledge at least 50 lbs. It won't be there by Gripmas, but I really hope for mid to high 40s.

Who won it last year?

the double sledge event was fixed weight for reps last year. i think chris beat us all

;)

Chris

is this similar to how we will do the event?

Now that WSH is over I will be playing with these all week, every week, until the contest.

Adam, you have to pause it at the bottom for a 5 count.

Seriously? Okie dokie.

Brent said in the other thread that there are plans for 2 2HP devices or two 2HP tracks (I assume what Andrew is doing for Nats). Is this true for Gripmas?

Chris,

I sent you an email but haven't heard back - you might be climbing.

Can you go over what contact with the gripper legs is permitted on this choker event? Can the setting hand touch both legs?

Thanks.

Jedd

Sorry for the delay guys- had a great time climbing and just got home. Give me a couple days and I'll do a video on the chokers and what is allowed setting them. And everyone chill out about the two hand pinch thing - no one is going to be unhappy with what we do - and it will have both Jedd's and David's blessing or it will be as before and just take a long time like always. I will be talking with all U. S. A. promoters AFTER I get the prototype and make and send video to them. If approved in time - it will be used at Gripmas. It will use Jedd's plates and there will be one and only one setup used. Everyone just chill out until it's done. Someone once said "you can;t criticize what you don't understand" - you all haven't heard that one I guess? :glare:

Nice going Brent. Creating mass hysteria with this multiple 2HP controversy. Jeepers.

Jedd did you get my gripper video?

Chris have you sorted out how the hercules hold will go? I am trying to figure out the best way to train for this one

I bought all the stuff to make up the HH - I'll post pictures when I get it done. I have no idea how to train for it really - I'm just gonna grab a hold,hang on, and hope for the best I guess.

Here is the video:

Here is the video:

Can't beat that for simple and easy to judge.

i would do farmers holds, frame holds, maybe holds on a trap bar. That will give you the hand endurance work for it.