NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hello,

My name is Omari. I'm 21.. I stand at 6 foot around 185 lbs. I have fairly small wrist (L- 6.5" and R- 7") I just got in grip training recently. I just purchased COC #1 and #1.5, I can close both with my right hand but not very easily. My left hand in considerably weaker. My long term goal is to close a #3 COC gripper with my dominant hand, and to close a #2.5 gripper with my left. I hope to close the #2 within a year. I hope to learn a lot from these forums.

hey everybody

I'm 19. College football player. 6'7" 260 and looking to get bigger. My goal in increasing grip strength is to help me in my lifts and on the field. Currently I do not do any grip work so that's why I'm here.

Welcome to the board. If you stay here and learn from these guys you will get stronger :rock

Hi all, I am Adam and I want to increase my grip for numerous reasons. The main ones being to be a better grappler / MMA and to have the athletic composition I have been working for. To master my bodyweight and have ultimate agility a super human grip is one of those :rock so that is what i am working on. I had insomnia last night and came across this sight, until than I gained all my knowledge from powerlifters and strongmen. I have read numerous books from ironminds on grip training and I am currently working towards closing a COC 3 by the end of the year. Oh, I am 6'1" 200 lbs and 24 years old, have a wonderful wife and an 8 month old son.

I am so glad to find a sight like this now I can actually talk with like minded people. So enough rambling I have to go to work now. Semper Fi

Edited by APL

Hi. I'm Ryan from Ontario, Canada. I am 6'0" and 205 lbs. I train mostly on grippers and really got into it after trying to out-squeeze my buddy in a hand shake. When I couldn\t. I realized I wanted a much stronger crushing grip. I have currently closed the CoC #3 once with my right hand without CCS but I am working up to that. She's a tough beast. I'm new to the whole forum world but I thought I'd give it a try, as there is surely lots to learn! One question for anyone who might know: Is the video of Joe Kinney anywhere on the internet? And if so can someone provide a link? I know that isn't directly related to training but I have read a lot ABOUT the Kinney close but have not seen the famous video. Just a point of interest I had. Anyways, I'm happy to be aboard the GripBoard.

Nvm about the Kinney vid. I read about it in the GripFAQ on where to get it haha. :blush

I'm Mark, from St. Louis. I'm a complete grip noob. I'm looking to enhance my bjj game by increasing my grip strength.

Short-term goal is to close the CoC #1 I got last week. Hopefully, that will be the start of something great. As of now, I can close it to 1 or 2 mm RH, and 5 - 10 LH. Hopefully any day now. . .

Hey Mark, welcome to the board man. You've got some very strong guys (some grip, some not) in your area man. Josh Dale, Brad Manion, Dan Sweeney is in that general area I think. And Dan's an accomplished MMA guy. He'd never tell you that, but I will. Give us a ring sometime. I'm not in that area, I'm in Lawrence, Kansas, but I sometimes go out to Josh's house or that area. I'm sure you'd be welcome to come to a get together in the near future. Not sure how you feel about a trip to KC, but I'll be getting together with some other grip guys in a few months and that one will be an open invite. If you're interested let me know. A few of us are good benders, so we'd give you tips and help on that too if you're interested in that. Otherwise, we are all capable in the overall grip department.

Thanks man! I don't know what made me look in this thread, but I noticed that there weren't any new pages since I posted my newbie introduction, and I thought I'd see if I was still the last new guy. . .

Anyway, a trip to KC isn't good for me, but it'd be great to get together with some guys who know what they're doing here in STL! I've been able to close my CoC #1, and now I'm trying to close it regularly TNS. It's still spotty. . .I bought the 'Mastering Hand Strength" book, but haven't had time to read it yet. I've read a lot of stuff here, but I'm still not really sure what I'm doing. . . lol.

Mark

I'm Mark, from St. Louis. I'm a complete grip noob. I'm looking to enhance my bjj game by increasing my grip strength.

Short-term goal is to close the CoC #1 I got last week. Hopefully, that will be the start of something great. As of now, I can close it to 1 or 2 mm RH, and 5 - 10 LH. Hopefully any day now. . .

Hey Mark, welcome to the board man. You've got some very strong guys (some grip, some not) in your area man. Josh Dale, Brad Manion, Dan Sweeney is in that general area I think. And Dan's an accomplished MMA guy. He'd never tell you that, but I will. Give us a ring sometime. I'm not in that area, I'm in Lawrence, Kansas, but I sometimes go out to Josh's house or that area. I'm sure you'd be welcome to come to a get together in the near future. Not sure how you feel about a trip to KC, but I'll be getting together with some other grip guys in a few months and that one will be an open invite. If you're interested let me know. A few of us are good benders, so we'd give you tips and help on that too if you're interested in that. Otherwise, we are all capable in the overall grip department.

Thanks man! I don't know what made me look in this thread, but I noticed that there weren't any new pages since I posted my newbie introduction, and I thought I'd see if I was still the last new guy. . .

Anyway, a trip to KC isn't good for me, but it'd be great to get together with some guys who know what they're doing here in STL! I've been able to close my CoC #1, and now I'm trying to close it regularly TNS. It's still spotty. . .I bought the 'Mastering Hand Strength" book, but haven't had time to read it yet. I've read a lot of stuff here, but I'm still not really sure what I'm doing. . . lol.

Mark

Hey, man. I live in St. Louis, too. I just got the CoC #1 a few weeks ago, but haven't really done much with it yet in terms of serious training. I managed to close it with my right hand a few days ago and can do it regularly now. I'm only a mm or two away from closing it with my left.

Do you train BJJ anywhere?

Mark

Hey, man. I live in St. Louis, too. I just got the CoC #1 a few weeks ago, but haven't really done much with it yet in terms of serious training. I managed to close it with my right hand a few days ago and can do it regularly now. I'm only a mm or two away from closing it with my left.

Not enough. . .I've been going half-assed for the last few years. Trying to motivate myself to get going again. The grip thing was part of my motivation to go back at least once a week instead of once every couple of months. . .

I went back and found your post a page or two up. It looks like you're going to Vaghi's? That's where I go, when I go. . .

Mark

Mark

Not enough. . .I've been going half-assed for the last few years. Trying to motivate myself to get going again. The grip thing was part of my motivation to go back at least once a week instead of once every couple of months. . .

I went back and found your post a page or two up. It looks like you're going to Vaghi's? That's where I go, when I go. . .

Mark

Yeah, I'm at Vaghi's.

You should come tomorrow if we're not all snowed-in.

Mark

Mark

Yeah, I'm at Vaghi's.

Snow's not bad, but I'm planning on going Friday. Is Brazilian Mike still running the Wednesday night class? He's great and all, but Wednesday nights, I'm always busy.

Hi folks,

Mike in Ireland here. Total beginner when it comes to all this. Couple of reasons that I'm interested:

- my grip lets me down when lifting

- started bjj and it will be helpful there to have a good strong grip

I've dislocated both thumbs in the past few years, so my grip strength is pretty miserable even for a normal person. Looking to rectify that in a big way.

Mark

Mark

Yeah, I'm at Vaghi's.

Snow's not bad, but I'm planning on going Friday. Is Brazilian Mike still running the Wednesday night class? He's great and all, but Wednesday nights, I'm always busy.

Brazilian Mike usually does the Friday class now.

If you come, look for the tallest guy in the class. My name's K.C.

Hello everyone,

I'm Barry Gibson form England. I've been lurking for a little while before posting. I started working on my grip work last year due to not being able to train fully due to a back injury :(

I'd always messed around with grip as I'm a judo player and I cross train with some MMA-ers so I'm aware of the benefits and necessity for a good grip. When I got injured, I began to focus on grip strength and feats like phone book tearing, decks of cards, bending nails and all that good stuff as well as grippers etc.

I've already found a lot of good info on here so I'm pleased I found the site.

Keep up the good work folks :rock

Stay strong!!

Barry

Hey my name is Rick Canter and I'm a strength and conditioning intern.

I've held positions at Robert Morris University, University of Pittsburgh, and in a few months the University of Auburn. I'm currently finishing my senior year at Bloomsburg University of PA. I was first introduced to the different types of grip training at a strength conference where I saw Diesel Crew present. I was blown away with what I saw. I decided I wanted to incorperate more grip into my training not just to help with my overall strength levels but to enhance my knowledge in that area. I currently also throw discus for bloom. My training consists of olympic lifting, power lifting, kettlebell training, and various other methods (EQI, Plyos, etc) to help enhance my athletic performance. As for grip, I mainly do hub lifting and plate pinches. I'm not sure how to periodize my grip training and also what else I should be doing. I also lack the knowledge of the different types of training. I hope to gain a better understanding of how to train grip year round and how to incorperate that into my athlete's workouts. Age:22 Weight:223 Height: 6'2

Hi, my name is Shawn from Tennessee. I am 23, 6'9", 215lbs. I recently just closed the COC #2(right hand). I have been working my grip for a few months on and off now. I am now starting regular training. I have been doing some regular weight training for about a year now. I just have just recently started working on my pinch and thick dumbbells. So far my grip goals are to close the COC#3, 200lbs rolling thunder.

hi all,

i'm relatively new in terms of grip training . . .my grip is a particular weakness . . . but it has improved significantly over the course of the year . . .however, its still a weakness . . .I haven't done much in the past regarding grip training, but that's going to change . . .I just picked up COC trainer & #1, as well the Mastery of Hand Strength - I just received these yesterday . . .

my goal is to significantly improve my hand strength (gripping) to improve my performance in the gym (deadlifts) and playing hockey

Hi,

I joined the board this week and thought I'd post a newbie intro, then get to lurking/learning for a while.

I just started training last year and can't get enough of powerlifting now, thanks to my awesomely "Wicked" trainer. ;) I went to the Metroflex grip competition in January to support him and ended up pulling for everyone due to the amazing comraderie there - what a great event! It was great to meet a few of the guys that are regular posters here - now I'll have a reference for some of the "who's who" on the board. It's just unbelievable to watch what those guys can do.

I'm definitely new to grip training so will be soaking up as much info here as possible. Brief stats: 5'5"/230#

DL: 245# Bench: ~155# My grip goal right now is to support my powerlifting efforts.

Hi,

I joined the board this week and thought I'd post a newbie intro, then get to lurking/learning for a while.

I just started training last year and can't get enough of powerlifting now, thanks to my awesomely "Wicked" trainer. ;) I went to the Metroflex grip competition in January to support him and ended up pulling for everyone due to the amazing comraderie there - what a great event! It was great to meet a few of the guys that are regular posters here - now I'll have a reference for some of the "who's who" on the board. It's just unbelievable to watch what those guys can do.

I'm definitely new to grip training so will be soaking up as much info here as possible. Brief stats: 5'5"/230#

DL: 245# Bench: ~155# My grip goal right now is to support my powerlifting efforts.

hahah hey i know you!

Hi,

hahah hey i know you!

You bet! Wicked man and his wicked ways! ;)

Hi,

Glad you're here! I can't remember you face from the comp (I was running around like a chicken w/my head cut-off) Get Ryan to bring you over to our next grip w/o - we usually cut up and have alot of fun while doin them (we get serious too ........... part of the time :laugh ) anywho - you have a great trainer, that Ryan guy - he'll get you steeeerong! again, glad to see another fellow Tex on the board - yeehaaa!

Hi,

Glad you're here! I can't remember you face from the comp (I was running around like a chicken w/my head cut-off) Get Ryan to bring you over to our next grip w/o - we usually cut up and have alot of fun while doin them (we get serious too ........... part of the time :laugh ) anywho - you have a great trainer, that Ryan guy - he'll get you steeeerong! again, glad to see another fellow Tex on the board - yeehaaa!

Hey, Paul! No worries, y'all had plenty of stuff going on. :) Btw, congrats on your placement in the comp! Yeah, don't tell him ;) but Ryan's far and away the best trainer I've had.

I've been reading the comp results (had to find out how everyone finished!), records, and workout routines - there's a lot to check out here. :) Thanks for the welcome!

Hi,

Thought I should add 'female' to those stats for clarity. The numbers are good for me - but not where I want them. Not yet anyway... :)

Just got a CoC #2 , almost closing it, ive been working my forearms for a year but on those wek plastic toys wink wink, my forearms are nice and cut hope to increase my strength.

-d