NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

I'm a newbie for the Jackson MS area. I only have one-arm so I figure my grip might be pretty strong. I just purchased the T and #1 COC grippers. Should be in sometime next week.

Not sure if this is allowed, but if you all (anyone) could tell me if these videos I'm going to post will help me close the trainer or #1 I'd appreciate it.

4 Dimes(WFS)

50lbs(WFS)

If there are any other fellow grippers that would like to help guide me or mentor me, I'd appreciate it as well.

Michael

Edited by mwhities

I'm a newbie for the Jackson MS area. I only have one-arm so I figure my grip might be pretty strong. I just purchased the T and #1 COC grippers. Should be in sometime next week.

Not sure if this is allowed, but if you all (anyone) could tell me if these videos I'm going to post will help me close the trainer or #1 I'd appreciate it.

4 Dimes(WFS)

50lbs(WFS)

If there are any other fellow grippers that would like to help guide me or mentor me, I'd appreciate it as well.

Michael

Ok, so I did more reading and since I am a newbie, I'm good with purchasing the T and #1 COCs. Sorry. I'll go read some more. :)

Michael

4 Dimes(WFS)

50lbs(WFS)

Michael

Ok, so I did more reading and since I am a newbie, I'm good with purchasing the T and #1 COCs. Sorry. I'll go read some more. :)

Michael

Michael, because you have just one arm, setting the gripper will be difficult. I recommend that you train using some hose clamps. Have someone close the gripper till the handles are parallel, or use a vise, then tighten a hose clamp around the top part of the handle to keep it in that position. The wider sets are good to practice as well, but most find the parallel set the most useful to train. I applaud your efforts and look forward to hearing about your progress.

-Rex

Michael, because you have just one arm, setting the gripper will be difficult. I recommend that you train using some hose clamps. Have someone close the gripper till the handles are parallel, or use a vise, then tighten a hose clamp around the top part of the handle to keep it in that position. The wider sets are good to practice as well, but most find the parallel set the most useful to train. I applaud your efforts and look forward to hearing about your progress.

-Rex

Rex, thanks for the suggestion. That was something else I was going to ask about. I'm 6' 6" so I feel I have a large hand. At least people tell me I do. What's the proper way to measure it? (I read in a post a minute ago that some one measured 7" or so. I figure my hand it quite larger than that. Maybe 9" or so... ?

Well, I improvised, I just grabbed a sheet of 8.5X11 sheet of paper and if I lay my hand down where the first wrinkle/line is on my wrist, my finger tip sticks off the other side about 2/3 of an inch past the paper. So, maybe right at 9 inches or so? Would that still be an issue for me? I'm sure it'd make it easier if anything.

I appreciate it. I figure this would be something I could do one-handed. How were the lifts in the videos? (I see I was "pinching" not gripping now.)

Thanks for the feed back.

Michael

-Rex

Rex, thanks for the suggestion. That was something else I was going to ask about. I'm 6' 6" so I feel I have a large hand. At least people tell me I do. What's the proper way to measure it? (I read in a post a minute ago that some one measured 7" or so. I figure my hand it quite larger than that. Maybe 9" or so... ?

Well, I improvised, I just grabbed a sheet of 8.5X11 sheet of paper and if I lay my hand down where the first wrinkle/line is on my wrist, my finger tip sticks off the other side about 2/3 of an inch past the paper. So, maybe right at 9 inches or so? Would that still be an issue for me? I'm sure it'd make it easier if anything.

I appreciate it. I figure this would be something I could do one-handed. How were the lifts in the videos? (I see I was "pinching" not gripping now.)

Thanks for the feed back.

Michael

Michael, it sounds like you have a very large hand. Nevertheless, training the parallel set is still beneficial, as it lets you focus on the hardest part of the close. Other things being equal, closing a gripper with a parallel set is easier than closing it with a wider set, but that's okay. You still should train the parallel set, so using the hose clamps to help you is a good idea.

Your pinch is good for a beginner, but given your hand size, I think you can do 5 10's with very little training. Doing 2 35's is also a worthy goal to shoot for. You may want to begin a training log in the workout routine sub-forum. A log can be invaluable for beginners.

All the best,

Rex

I'm Sam, 21 years old, in college. I'm an all around sports fan, played 4 sports in high school, recently have played rugby for school for a couple years now. Main passion is climbing. I'm working towards one are pullups but have a long road ahead. Close to closing the #2 gripper but have difficulty with my left hand because of a scar. Long story behind the scar but it runs from the tip of the finger up two knuckles, so it hurts to use on a gripper. Looking for a good regiment to use for grip training but haven't had time to look for one.

Hey everyone, my name is Matt, and I train my grip. I'm 6'3'', currently 240lb, and I'm 24. Feats of strength include 55 card dollar store card deck tear, CoC #2 close ONCE, potato crush with fingers digging into potato, same with apple, and a lemon crush with fingers straight with no bending at the last knuckle (it sounds easy, buy I find it to be difficult at first,) and a few other different things that I don't feel like explaining.

My training is basic; push ups, pull ups, grippers, large book curls, store bought gripper pinching, tennis ball work, hanging, and supporting muscle groups (legs, abs, etc.) Low reps on all. 3 sets of 5 on the push ups with books and such on my back.

My fitness goals include CoC #3, crushing a potato and an apple similar to how I am able to crush the lemon, one hand pull ups/push ups, and others. Future training will include levering and bending and other things.

My other goals include armwrestling. Only one person has beaten me, and you will learn more about him, I hope, in the future. And this is not to say that I am a great puller. I stopped armwrestling a year or so ago, armwrestling only for fun at parties (never will I drink and armwrestling nowadays.) I don't really think much of the wins in my past. Just random people at occasional parties. But after being beaten (slaughtered,) combined with my girlfriends backing, I decided to get into it on a more serious level.

Anyway, I have a "how to" question. How do I approach armwrestling for money? I thought about going to a bar with my girlfriend. Like a bet type of deal. Who ever loses gives up 10 bucks sort of deal. I know better not to drink. Just a safety beer, haha. I'd appreciate info on how to effectively armwrestle at a low table, and how to avoid the "you cheated" situation. I don't use a chair when I armwrestle at a low table, for example, and that might be an issue with the cheating accusation. Any info on how to approach someone, and any info period, will be appreciated. I live in CA, if it helps.

THANKS!

Hi, my name is Peter and I wouldnt say i'm that new to grip training or strength. Closed the CoC #1 after a friend brought it into school one day and went on to buy my own and then fairly soon after that i purchased the #2. Took a month or two to close that bad boy and then i stuck with that until buying the CoC #3 at the end of the summer, couldnt close it and kinda left grip training for a while when starting back at school. Decided i'd buy the #2.5 to assist with the last part of the close and it arrived 2 days ago. Closed first time out of the packaging with both hands :D.

During school time i go to the same friends house after school and powerlift, had a couple of competitions organised but missed both due to illness, still hoping to compete in the Northern Ireland DL and all round contests in may and june :). As a sidenote, i lift raw, no supplements and completely unequipped.

My main goal is to close the #3 as i see that as the real benchmark of a monster grip :D

Any comments related to my grip progress are welcomed :)

Michael, it sounds like you have a very large hand. Nevertheless, training the parallel set is still beneficial, as it lets you focus on the hardest part of the close. Other things being equal, closing a gripper with a parallel set is easier than closing it with a wider set, but that's okay. You still should train the parallel set, so using the hose clamps to help you is a good idea.

Your pinch is good for a beginner, but given your hand size, I think you can do 5 10's with very little training. Doing 2 35's is also a worthy goal to shoot for. You may want to begin a training log in the workout routine sub-forum. A log can be invaluable for beginners.

All the best,

Rex

Rex, ahh, that makes sense. I have yet to squeeze a set of grippers so, I have no idea about how they work like you explained. Thank you, thank you.. :)

I measured my hand yesterday and from the last wrinkle on my wrist/forearm my hand it 9.5" long and my span (?) is 9" long. (tip of my thumb to the tip of my little finger)

Does it matter what type of plate? All I have is the round ones you see in my video. Should I look (I guess I am anyways) for the more squared ones? For the two 35's, could I essentially do two 25's and two 10's to mimic 70lbs?

I've already started a log too. :)One-Arm Strengthen Log Maybe you could reply to this there? (I need to quit hi-jacking threads. :P)

Michael

Hey guys,

I'm Jordan. New to the boards AND to gripping. Bought the CoC Trainer and #1 a few months back, and got to where I could do the #1 for 8-10 reps, so just 2 weeks ago I ordered the #1.5 and #2. Really didn't know any good way to train (routine-wise) until coming on here. Now I want to get into all aspects of grip training (very addictive).

I'm a med student..finishing up my second year. Workout 3 days per week doing total body training (Waterbury-style). I'm 6', and currently weighing 225. My hands are small (small bone structure), so it makes the grippers that much more challenging (which is ok :) )

Hope to learn a lot from you all!

Edited by thebigbus

Hey guys,

I'm Jordan. New to the boards AND to gripping. Bought the CoC Trainer and #1 a few months back, and got to where I could do the #1 for 8-10 reps, so just 2 weeks ago I ordered the #1.5 and #2. Really didn't know any good way to train (routine-wise) until coming on here. Now I want to get into all aspects of grip training (very addictive).

I'm a med student..finishing up my second year. Workout 3 days per week doing total body training (Waterbury-style). I'm 6', and currently weighing 225. My hands are small (small bone structure), so it makes the grippers that much more challenging (which is ok :) )

Welcome to GripBoard. I'm still a newbie myself. Having just ordered the T and #1 COC, I'm looking to purchase the #1.5 and #2. I haven't really tried to rep on the #1 all that much, but I'm sure I could do pretty well.

You will get a lot of good advice and suggestions from people here. I know I have. This is very addicting as well, I'm finding and thinking of all different sorts of things I can grip and pinch.

If there is anything I can help you with, please feel free to ask.

Michael

Hey guys,

Welcome to GripBoard. I'm still a newbie myself. Having just ordered the T and #1 COC, I'm looking to purchase the #1.5 and #2. I haven't really tried to rep on the #1 all that much, but I'm sure I could do pretty well.

You will get a lot of good advice and suggestions from people here. I know I have. This is very addicting as well, I'm finding and thinking of all different sorts of things I can grip and pinch.

If there is anything I can help you with, please feel free to ask.

Michael

Thanks, Michael!

Thanks, Michael!

No problem. Start yourself a log as well. I'd enjoy following another newbie. Help me stay motivated.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, my name is Calvin. I recently got introduced to the CoC gripers at the end of January this year by a MA instructor. At first I couldnt close the trainer now I am consistantly closing number 2. I have become pretty obsessed with grip training. My goal is to cert on the 3 by january of 2010. I am 25years old 6'1" 205lbs average sized guy who is fairly strong otherwise (old powerlifter). I am a nurse by profession and use my hands constantly however nothing strength wise. I currently train 3 days a week with the CoC grippers and a 10lb sledge. Other than that I have no other grip tools. I am looking to get a few things in a couple of weeks to develop overall hand strength. I was hoping to gather some good info from the board and meet folks who share my newfound passion for grip training.

Hey guys, my name is Calvin. I recently got introduced to the CoC gripers at the end of January this year by a MA instructor. At first I couldnt close the trainer now I am consistantly closing number 2. I have become pretty obsessed with grip training. My goal is to cert on the 3 by january of 2010. I am 25years old 6'1" 205lbs average sized guy who is fairly strong otherwise (old powerlifter). I am a nurse by profession and use my hands constantly however nothing strength wise. I currently train 3 days a week with the CoC grippers and a 10lb sledge. Other than that I have no other grip tools. I am looking to get a few things in a couple of weeks to develop overall hand strength. I was hoping to gather some good info from the board and meet folks who share my newfound passion for grip training.

Welcome to the addiction!

Thanks Hammy. I have already had some break throughs and my #2.5 will be here on friday!

Well, I just joined this forum to get some more advice on grip training. I recently decided to learn the olympic lifts and started up some sessions with a personal trainer. To start things off, I was given a fitness exam. I scored in the excellent or higher category on all of the parameters tested except for two- flexibility and grip strength, which were below average and average respectively. I've known my grip strength was definitely a weakness (lol), but I didn't realize that it was that far behind. So, here I am. Going to do whatever I can to fix that issue. I also do martial arts, so I really have no excuse for a weak grip and every reason to develop a strong one.

Hello, My name is Mark Cummings. I am the owner and founder of Louisiana Strength Foundation. I am also the NAS state chairman for Louisiana. I'm 5'10" 265lbs and I really enjoy grip training and performing displays of grip strength to others. My current goals are to certify on the #3 before year's end, and pinch grip a pair of the old York 45's. The Yorks are my biggest goal because not a whole lot of people have been able to do it and they are absolutely beastly! I'm also looking to get back into short bending. I bent a horseshoe a couple of years back, but didn't stick with it (like an idiot) and now I have to play a bit of catch up in the realm of short steel. My main overall passion is natural stones though, and that is the main focus of my training. To that end, I've noticed huge bonuses in my grip training so I am really pushing towards those Yorks and the #3. I'm glad I was sent here, and I'm looking forward to getting (and hopefully giving) alot of good information!

Hello, My name is Mark Cummings. I am the owner and founder of Louisiana Strength Foundation. I am also the NAS state chairman for Louisiana. I'm 5'10" 265lbs and I really enjoy grip training and performing displays of grip strength to others. My current goals are to certify on the #3 before year's end, and pinch grip a pair of the old York 45's. The Yorks are my biggest goal because not a whole lot of people have been able to do it and they are absolutely beastly! I'm also looking to get back into short bending. I bent a horseshoe a couple of years back, but didn't stick with it (like an idiot) and now I have to play a bit of catch up in the realm of short steel. My main overall passion is natural stones though, and that is the main focus of my training. To that end, I've noticed huge bonuses in my grip training so I am really pushing towards those Yorks and the #3. I'm glad I was sent here, and I'm looking forward to getting (and hopefully giving) alot of good information!

Welcome aboard! You are my neighbor for sure. I'm in Central Mississippi. I'll need to come down and visit your shop someday. ;) Good luck on your blob goals. I just bought my first one - 37.5 blob and I love it. Hoping to get a Blob50 soon.

Michael

Hi, my name is Ben and I am mainly interested in grip strength as it pertains to other fitness pursuits: deadlifts, pullups, cleans, snatches, kettlebells, etc. I am in college currently, and lacking access to an O-lifting coach, my style of training is pretty much CrossFit.

On your very first post to this forum, PLEASE introduce yourself and tell us about what your doing in terms of grip training, what your interests are in terms of grip strength, and what you want to get out of this forum. You can also include other information that might be revelant, such as height, weight, age, etc.

My name is Brian. I'm completely new to grip training, but over the last several weeks I've started doing some of the grip equipment ( wrist roller, one arm deadlift, etc ) where I train ( I compete in powerlifting ) and have found it to be fun and rewarding. Initially, what I'd like to get out of this forum is to learn how to train my grip correctly so I can be the strongest I can be. I'm 43 years old, 6'8" and weigh 328 pounds.

Welcome! Glad to have you on the board! :rock

Hi,

My name is Steve. I have trained with HIT off and on for a number of years and have dabbled with various other training methods. I heard about COC and similar grippers years ago but thought my basic wrist curls and reverse wrist curls were sufficient for grip strength. I wish I had known how wrong that assumption was. I decided to get serious about my training again and joined Cyberpump for some inspiration. I then found my way to the Gripboard and became inspired to start learning about proper grip training and feats of strength like card tearing. I purchased Jedd's card tearing ebook, and Brookfields books in an effort to gain more knowledge. I then purchased some equipment to get me started such as a set of 6 Heavy Grips, light and heavy dexterity balls, and lots of rubberbands for extension work. I also ordered a Vice Gripper, which I have yet to receive but am looking forward to.

I am enjoying the posts here on the Gripboard and look forward to learning more.

Hey folks, names Keith, I'm 45 5'8" 165lbs

Have always had a decent grip for your average joe and since my plan is to get into better shape overall I figured I would not neglect the grip as well. Just purchased the COC#1 this evening to help out with the program.This site is amazingly extensive and I'm glad to have found it.

Gday im dan i live in Adelaide Australia im 22 6'1" 200lbs. Ive only just started grip training, ive always been interested in strength training but have had to stop due to hip and back problems. thats when i discovered grip training. Im also hopeing to start some upperbody strength training again soon as my back has been much better, also hoping down the track to be able to deadlift and squat again if my hip operation goes well. Joined this forum to learn about all things grip. My goal is to close the coc#2 by the end of the year only a small step for some but a big step for me, have to start somewear. I train with the T, #1 and #1.5 and pinch plates looking to expand my workouts.

Looking forward to learning and contributing on the grip board. :)