NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hi strong folks!

I'm newbie Timo, 29years, 119kg/262lbs, 1,88m/6'2", location Finland.

My grip training history: about 3months: my first touch with these events was 2008 December when friend of mine told me that there is some grip contest on local gym and i should go and test my grip strength. Result is here:

2 x 20kg leokos pinch lift at my second try... Also i was able to close CoC#2 and #2,5 with right hand at first try from wide almost CCS set and done 76kg/168lbs with official RT.

Nowadays i try to go training with couple of finish top grippers at least once in 2 weeks ( because of 130km distance ) other time i'm training twice per week with grip stuff 1 day with grippers and other day with example pinch-lifts, RT and different size of blocks. Some video from our local gripcontest called Rautakoura(=ironhand in english)

Now I'm waiting for to get certified with closing #3 at April... And then going towards to close #3,5 with CCS, already done with wide parallel...

best regards for everybody and keep gripping!!! :bow

Hi there! Tempo is 42 and from Sweden. I am mostly into kettlebells in terms of training. One of my weaknesses has always been grip - though that is slowly beginning to change I hope :) - so since a couple of years I look a bit on grip training too.

I ended up on GripBoard searching for info on one hand DL.

All over my grip goal is to improve grip strength.

I'm not exactly new, but i recently started posting on the bending part of this site. Now that i am looking at other parts of the site i noticed this thread for newbies and figured i would add my name to the group

I am 38 years old, 6'0" & 285 lbs

I have been bending since Mid November "08" under the guidence of Bossie308 (Jim Ricchezza). I just got certified with the Iron Mind Red Nail on 3/14/09, so that will be on thier site very soon. I also just got listed on the FBBC site for an 8" Spike bend. Other FBBC certs will be listed next time John updates his board.

I have been working with Dragon Door Kettlebells for about 2-1/2 years. And i attribute my bending achievements to the strength i have gained from using the KB's.

I am now looking to get more into grip training, like pinch grip and hand grippers. And i also just got the e-book on card tearing to better my card tearing abilities. So far i really like the group of people on this board and how everyone is willing to help with questions and also support each other on thier accomplishments.

Hey. I'm just starting to get into grip training, pretty much all-around but my favorite so far is sledgehammer levering.

21 years old, 5'6 140lbs. I'm in the Marines right now and I live in Okinawa, Japan. Nice place, but a lot of stuff that you could just walk into a specialty store in America and buy is pretty hard to come by here.

No specific goals like certification or whatever, just want to be strong and I think strong hands and wrists really make the difference. Basically I want people to walk away from me saying "Damn, he's pretty strong for a little guy!"

Edited by stagger

Hey. I'm just starting to get into grip training, pretty much all-around but my favorite so far is sledgehammer levering.

21 years old, 5'6 140lbs. I'm in the Marines right now and I live in Okinawa, Japan. Nice place, but a lot of stuff that you could just walk into a specialty store in America and buy is pretty hard to come by here.

No specific goals like certification or whatever, just want to be strong and I think strong hands and wrists really make the difference. Basically I want people to walk away from me saying "Damn, he's pretty strong for a little guy!"

Stagger,

Thank you for your service & good luck with increasing your grip strength.

Hello my name is Morsey. I just turned 39. I am married with 5 children (and counting)

I have been swinging clubs and maces for a few years. You may have seen one of my youtube videos swinging the macebell.

I have always fiddled around with grip stuff. Nothing serious, just enough to make coworkers feel bad about themselves. However as i turned 39 and people started getting on me about getting close to 40, i decided to make this the best year ever. I decided on 2 goals to hit by 02/10/2010.

1) Bend a 60d nail

2) Rip a deck of Bicycle Cards

These are minimum goals and will be adjusted up if need be.

As of today 03/25/09 I am able to bend 1/4" x 6" hot rolled round bar using the reverse grip. I can do this with either hand as the anchor hand.

As for cards, the most i have done is 35 (el cheapo) cards. What is my limiting factor seem to be lack of finger pressure when using the over/under grip. the cards slip around to much.

Well that is my intro any guidance is welcome.

MORSEY

What's up everyone. I'm brand new to the board. I'm an armwrestler in the Charlotte area who was told to join this board by a fellow armwrestler (Jason, you out there?). I'm more into armwrestling than grip training but I like grip training as well. I'm 5' 10" and compete in the 165-171 pound class. I can just about close the Ironmind 2.5. That's about it.

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings from all over!

I am 24 years old, 6'1", 230 lbs, and a former college weight, hammer, and discus thrower. I was never as good as I should have been at track because of injuries and I was too robotic in the circle (strength was there, but not the technique). I have been getting into powerlifting and just had my first meet last Saturday in Dallas, TX. Only competed in the deadlift, but got a PR of 617 lbs (no suit, no wraps). Currently recovering from a chest injury but chomping at the bit to get going on upper body again and balance myself out. Never really took grip training seriously but I really want to add grip strength to my repertoire. My job has me living on the road, hence "Greetings from all over!" My next destination is a town just outside of St Louis, and once I get my address there next week I am going to order the #1, 2 and 3 COC grippers. I was able to close a #1 (ALMOST got the #2) in each hand last week that someone brought to the powerlifting meet, as well as pinch 2 25kg plates with each hand. Granted there was chalk and it was only for a few second hold. I can also flip 25kg plates in each hand. Haven't tried flipping both hands at the same time yet. I am looking forward to seeing what I can do with grip training because I really don't do any besides messing around on occasion. I think I have a natural ability for grip strength, so I am excited to begin training.

Thanks,

Ed

Well, I am far from a newbie. A few years ago I was a member of this board. I was going though some very bad times that no man should have to. I blamed everyone including anyone that did not agree with something I said ( my friends here on the board). So I said some bad things to some good people and left the board. I would like to thank wanagrip for allowing me back on again. For those wow don't know me I am certified on the #3 and competed and won North America's strongest man over 40. I have benched 525 raw. Not that those are a big deal, just wanted to introduce myself. I look forward to meeting the new guys and talking with the old ones.

Hey Harlan... I`m still around. I remember your big Ol Strong Hoss self.. thanks for coming back. You were a good contributor back when :)

Hey Guys,

My name is Craig, Im 19 and am a shot-put, discus, and hammer thrower in college. As far as grip goes I started getting interested in it about a month ago and ever since then I have been hooked. I also think that the added grip/hand/wrist strength will help out my shot-putting, but for the most part I just really enjoy doing it. Due to my background in throwing and lifting I have developed a somewhat descent grip without any real direct training. Since I have added specific training my gains have added up quickly. Right now I pinch grip 5 10lb plates, and 2 35's, with the goal of getting 2 45's up sometime. I have shut the C.O.C #2.5 on several occasions now with my right hand and left, and am ordering the #3 to have a gripper to work up to. We have an Ironmind Rolling THunder here at the college, but for what ever reason it is locked up and the strength coach is rarely around so I am not sure what I can pull with it. As far as training goes I am training twice a week after our upper body workouts, with exercises like work with the 2in and 3in axles, pinch training, and grippers on one of the two days. I also usually end the grip workouts with extensor training. So I am by no means an elite grip guy, but I really enjoy it and hope to be able to accomplish some tough feats in the world of grip. In addition, I am looking for advice in the way of structuring my grip workouts and what kind of sets and reps to do when I workout with grippers.

In Stength,

Craig

Greetings from all over!

I am 24 years old, 6'1", 230 lbs, and a former college weight, hammer, and discus thrower. I was never as good as I should have been at track because of injuries and I was too robotic in the circle (strength was there, but not the technique). I have been getting into powerlifting and just had my first meet last Saturday in Dallas, TX. Only competed in the deadlift, but got a PR of 617 lbs (no suit, no wraps). Currently recovering from a chest injury but chomping at the bit to get going on upper body again and balance myself out. Never really took grip training seriously but I really want to add grip strength to my repertoire. My job has me living on the road, hence "Greetings from all over!" My next destination is a town just outside of St Louis, and once I get my address there next week I am going to order the #1, 2 and 3 COC grippers. I was able to close a #1 (ALMOST got the #2) in each hand last week that someone brought to the powerlifting meet, as well as pinch 2 25kg plates with each hand. Granted there was chalk and it was only for a few second hold. I can also flip 25kg plates in each hand. Haven't tried flipping both hands at the same time yet. I am looking forward to seeing what I can do with grip training because I really don't do any besides messing around on occasion. I think I have a natural ability for grip strength, so I am excited to begin training.

Thanks,

Ed

At the WABDL meet I did last week in Dallas, Ed walked up and picked up two 15 KG plates, cold. Then he did it with the other hand. These plates were Ivanko, very thin and painted. Ed was the only powerlifter there besides myself who could do this. He's got some great latent strength in those hands and so I told him about the Gripboard. Ed, once you get settled and have some equipment, start a training log in the workout log sub-forum! We'd love to follow your progress. :rock

-Rex

Greetings from all over!

Thanks,

Ed

Welcome to the board Ed. Since you're going to be in the St. Louis area soon I wanted to mention that Josh Dale and I are holding a grip contest in Moberly on May 16th and you'd be welcomed with open arms. So if you have any desire to compete or learn some other facets of the grip world (like bending) there will be some very accomplished grip guys there.

Greetings from all over!

Thanks,

Ed

Welcome to the board Ed. Since you're going to be in the St. Louis area soon I wanted to mention that Josh Dale and I are holding a grip contest in Moberly on May 16th and you'd be welcomed with open arms. So if you have any desire to compete or learn some other facets of the grip world (like bending) there will be some very accomplished grip guys there.

That's a great idea Ben. Thanks for inviting him.

-Rex

That's a great idea Ben. Thanks for inviting him.

-Rex

You're welcome Rex. Sounds like he's damn strong already! If he gets a little form instruction on a few things he'll kick ass.

At the WABDL meet I did last week in Dallas, Ed walked up and picked up two 15 KG plates, cold. Then he did it with the other hand. These plates were Ivanko, very thin and painted. Ed was the only powerlifter there besides myself who could do this. He's got some great latent strength in those hands and so I told him about the Gripboard. Ed, once you get settled and have some equipment, start a training log in the workout log sub-forum! We'd love to follow your progress. :rock

-Rex

haha my bad, I thought those were 25kg but regardless, still fun times! I should be arriving in the St Louis area in a week and let the mayhem begin!

Thanks, Ben. You guys seem awesome! I should be heading up to the St Louis area in a week and will get in touch regarding that grip show. I would like to attend whether it be as a spectator or competitor, so where can I find more information?

Thanks, Ben. You guys seem awesome! I should be heading up to the St Louis area in a week and will get in touch regarding that grip show. I would like to attend whether it be as a spectator or competitor, so where can I find more information?

Hey thanks man! Josh is great and he's very close to St. Louis so I bet he'd love to hook up for some grip stuff and he's also an armwrestler so if that interests you he's a good contact for that too. I hope you decide to compete instead of just being a spectator. Nothing wrong with being a spectator of course. And we're not trying to make money off of this, so that's not what it's all about when we try to get guys to get their feet wet in a contest. It's just the fact that you'll learn so much more actually competing than watching. It sounds like it'd be the opposite. If you're watching (in theory) you should be able to pick up the finer points that someone who's in the thick of it wouldn't be able to. But it's really the reverse of that from my experience. The guys that jump right in are automatically "watched after" by the experienced guys and are given all the information they need to improve their performances almost immediately. Heck we'll have guys there who will show you a tip or technique and you'll end up beating the same guy who gave you the advice in that event and they will be clapping loudly for you with no hard feelings.

Here is more info about the grip comp. http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=30696

Ah thanks for posting the link Adam. :D I thought I had pasted it into my previous comments but it turns out I didn't.

My name is John and i live in Kansas City. i found a link for this website recently and thought it'd be a good source of information for my training. i'm not a large guy. i'm about 5'9" and weight 150lbs. i used to be able to close a #1 COC gripper a couple of times with each hand, but i haven't messed with one of those for a while now. i practice all kinds of martial arts and like to work out for fun. i am a bass player most of the time. grip training helps with that a lot especially since i suffered a pretty serious injury to my left wrist a few years back. i'm still balancing my arms after a long break from training.

My name is John and i live in Kansas City. i found a link for this website recently and thought it'd be a good source of information for my training. i'm not a large guy. i'm about 5'9" and weight 150lbs. i used to be able to close a #1 COC gripper a couple of times with each hand, but i haven't messed with one of those for a while now. i practice all kinds of martial arts and like to work out for fun. i am a bass player most of the time. grip training helps with that a lot especially since i suffered a pretty serious injury to my left wrist a few years back. i'm still balancing my arms after a long break from training.

Hi John, Im new as well to the gripboard, best of luck with your training.

Name is Marty lurked for awhile made a few posts. I got into grip training by way of BJJ had really weak wrists so i started looking for info found the diesel site and then some other ones so here i am!! can close c.o.c sport through 1.5started doing plate pinching and hub lifting recently got into steel bending recently just been bending nails to learn the form and techniques to unbraced bending looking to go farther into it! started tearing recently also! thats fun I'm also interested in hosting a northwestern grip contest in northern california been talking with a member about it a little here and there! So thats what it is!OH yeah 5'9"200 lbs small little girl hands but no excuses here!!! I train alone in the garage I don't know of anyone else around that's into grip and other different styles of lifting besides the typical "BRO I DID LIKE 14 DIFFERENT TYPES OF CURLS FOR LIKE 3 HOURS LOOK AT MY PUMP !!!!! So thats why I'm all alone!!LOL!