NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hi, My name is Doug and I'm new here. 5'8" , 190, almost 44. Retired Marine. Kettlebell instructor (RKC,AKC) I have been bending now for about 8 month and have progressed to the point where i can do the 1/4" x 5" grade 5 bolts that I got from FBBC. My ultimate goal would be the red nail in the IM pads (which I dont like) . I got into this to have stronger hands and tendons strength for kb lifting. I have snapped a few smaller wrenches ( braced) and am working on horseshoe techniques now.

My question is where do I go from grade 5 1/4" bolts to train for the red nail. I have prebent a few reds to 30 degrees and am working on closing them now.

Thanks

Doug

Edited by d.sides

Hi, My name is Doug and I'm new here. 5'8" , 190, almost 44. Retired Marine. Kettlebell instructor (RKC,AKC) I have been bending now for about 8 month and have progressed to the point where i can do the 1/4" x 5" grade 5 bolts that I got from FBBC. My ultimate goal would be the red nail in the IM pads (which I dont like) . I got into this to have stronger hands and tendons strength for kb lifting. I have snapped a few smaller wrenches ( braced) and am working on horseshoe techniques now.

My question is where do I go from grade 5 1/4" bolts to train for the red nail. I have prebent a few reds to 30 degrees and am working on closing them now.

Thanks

Doug

Get yourself some 6 x 1/4 grade 8 bolts. You sound like you are on the right track. If you have any questions feel free to message me.

hey everyone.

my name is guy, i am from south africa and am 15 y/o.

6ft, about 185pounds.

I am a rugby player by heart but take part in lots of others sports like swimming, waterpolo and recently athletics.

I love to throw shot, jav and discus.

Keen to learn about grip and the feats that people achieve as it seems great.

at the moment i only do a few sets of timed bar holds after my sessions but really want to work some grip work into my gym work. I dont want to go straight into it and go over the top thats mainly why i am here, to learn about how to introduce myslef to grip.

Thanks

Hey everyone, my name is Carl and I live in Washington, IL. I've been a lurker(sp?) for a few months now and decided I better introduce myself. I've been a personal trainer for about 7 years and using kettlebells for the majority of the time. I've also done a little power lifting and Olympic lifting. I just recently(middle of April '08) started adding short bending and some other grip strength training into the mix for my sessions. I enjoy it all but quickley became addicted to the bending and am looking to learn as much as possible about it. My current bending goal is to bend the Red nail in IM pads.

Hey everyone, my name is Carl and I live in Washington, IL. I've been a lurker(sp?) for a few months now and decided I better introduce myself. I've been a personal trainer for about 7 years and using kettlebells for the majority of the time. I've also done a little power lifting and Olympic lifting. I just recently(middle of April '08) started adding short bending and some other grip strength training into the mix for my sessions. I enjoy it all but quickley became addicted to the bending and am looking to learn as much as possible about it. My current bending goal is to bend the Red nail in IM pads.

Great to see you joined Carl! :rock I've enjoyed corresponding with you and I really believe you'll love it here on the GripBoard with all the excellent information and motivation on bending. You'll reach your goal in no time!

Hey Im Dan. My friend Josh Zeloof (sineparixmace) got me into this stuff a couple of months ago and Im looking to get into DU bending. My best DU bend is a 5" blue that I got on my 2nd day, and I've closed the CoC 2 a couple of times and can mostly get it down to 1/8". One day, I'd like to melt Reds like butter on a hot plate DU style so any help is appreciated

Hi everyone my name is Bill I have been training for 7 years with weights mainly bodybuilding lifting. Recently got serious about powerlifting/strongman training. Been doing some grip work for about a 2 years but serious last 8 months. Working on a degree in Exercise Science for after Army.

Hi all

Im South African, age 28. 6ft. 190lbs. Done weights on and off for a few years, nothing serious, but am getting back into it now.

Found this board and have bought a COC #1. Can close it in both hands no problem, but not many reps.

Will progress to COC#2 and maybe one day attempt a #2.5 or #3.

Cheers

Hello all, I'm Jay. 5'11", 195. 30 years old. Just got into gripping, and I have no frame of reference yet as to where my grip measures up. I have two Gladiator Grippers in the 150 and 200lb sizes and can rep the 200 for about 15 reps. Just got a Vice Gripper from Iron Woody and so far I can close it with the springs at 7 and 9 (supposedly 149lbs at the outer edge of the grips and 213 at the inner edge).

IM #3 is on order and should arrive this week. I'm not expecting to close it, but again I have no frame of reference yet.

My right hand is pretty strong relative to the time that I've been grip training due to bowling (all my life). I also work with my hands a lot, using them to grip and rotate. I'm an avionics technician and some of the plugs we connect and disconnect are real buggers. They're tough enough that there's a set of pliers specially made for the job. The only time I use the pliers is when my hands are too oily to get a good grip, and usually I give it a shot anyway.

Edited by JayPierce

Hello all, I have been a lurker for quite a while and figured it was high time to say....well, hi.

My name is Mike Patrick and I live in Brooklyn, NY. I am 41, 6'3" and around 280. I have been lifting on and off since high school and have been very interested in grip for the last few years. I haven't really done much though, because my problem is consistency. I go pretty good for a few months and then something comes up and I lose it. Not cool.

But I am working on it and places like this forum really help. I read all the accomplishments of the folks out here and the encouragement everyone gives each other and I get fired up.

I have a bunch of grip toys that I have played with and am giving them a real shot these days instead of just messing around. My goal is to close the #3 CoC one day. I have always had strong hands, even though they are fairly long but not thick or wide (which I wish they were but that's life). I like grip goodies, the Olympic lifts, and old-time strongman stuff. My heroes in lifting etc. would be Norb Schemansky, Tommy Kono, and Hermann Goerner.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I wish everyone well.

Mike

Hey Everyone my names Tom. im 18 from Australia 87 kg 186 cm tall.

just thought id say gday, my mate troy introduced me to captains of crush Number 1 and for the last month ove been hooked on grippers. any advice on building grip strength i would love to hear i recently bought Coc's #1.5 and 2 and can close 1.5 3 times on my Right but not yet once on my right. so close to getting th #2 but have heard its a bitch of a step.

Cheers Tom :blink

Hey Everyone my names Tom. im 18 from Australia 87 kg 186 cm tall.

just thought id say gday, my mate troy introduced me to captains of crush Number 1 and for the last month ove been hooked on grippers. any advice on building grip strength i would love to hear i recently bought Coc's #1.5 and 2 and can close 1.5 3 times on my Right but not yet once on my right. so close to getting th #2 but have heard its a bitch of a step.

Cheers Tom :blink

Hey Tom..Good to see Aussie crushers up and Coming!

My advice for gaining hand strength is to take it slowand incorperate all aspects of grip, Pinch, Crush, Wrist, Support and thickbars etc..

A few words of wisdom that sticks with me said by other members: Train the thumb, dont neglect the wrist, and make some effort to strengthen the ring and pinkie fingers, particularly for grippers. Train your extensors.

And read old posts and training logs, if something doesnt make sense then ask or do a search first. Practically everything you could think of asking has been covered but dont be shy to ask, thats why this board is here,to share.

Hope you enjoy the GB!

Brendan

Hi all. I am a 25 yr. old male. Got into grip training when I went to Italy for my buddies' wedding. He had a COC #1 and #2. When I started training I couldn't close the #1. Now I can do 10 full reps on the #1 and almost close the #2. I eventually want to get certifieed on the #3 and #4. But that will take a while. Nice to have a forum for this subject.

Specifics:

Height: 5' 10"(70 inches)

Weight: 225 lbs.

Training: Lifting really heavy stuff :)

Thanks for your time.

Hey everyone, My name is Jared. I ordered my first grippers about a month ago when I found ironminds.com from a friend who told me to check it out. He is one of a few guys that are my crossfit buddies. I started crossffit about 3 months ago and sadly only manage to get to 1-2 workouts a week. During my lunch hour at work I run 2 miles 2-3 times a week as well. I grew up in the country (upsate NY) doing work like splititng wood, digging rocks out with a pick axe, splitting stumps apart with wedges and sledge hammers etc. In highschool I wrestled, and my first two years of college I took weight lifting and rock climbing. since then I have sat behind a desk writing code and not doing much in teh way of exercise until recently. In my 2nd year of college I used to do pullups and chinups all the time on the exposed 4" and 2"diameter sprinkler piping in the dormitory. I progressed to the point of being able to do a single arm chinup with either arm by using the method of using both arms to get my chin ovver the bar, and then holding myself there for longer and longer amounts of time with just one arm at a time. Eventually I was able to go from elbow completely locked out to chin over the bar with the other hand on my hip. I always wanted to be able to do a pullup jsut by gripping the exposed wood under a deck, and did not evven think it was possible until I saw a video on youtube of someone repping it like 8 times! So as you can see in my sig, thats one of my mid range goals. Currently I can TNS a Coc number 2 in either hand but I was able to close the number2 the dday i got it from iron minds, so I really dunno if I have progressed in strengght much by doing the T and #1 for the 2 week lapse between them arriving and me realizing I neede a bigger one and the shipping wait time. My 2.5 arrives today by UPS ( according to the shipping tracking!) but I wont be able to really give it a try ffor a few days. I was attempting the high volume training regiment I read about in one of the threads here trying to do 1000 closes a dayand the skin on my hands is just not ready for it, so pain is my limiting factor eachg day with trying to hit all my reps on the T. Anyways, Im 29, 195lb and not really strong in general, and I need to lose about 15 lb to not have a gut anymore ( hence the running and crossfit). Hope fully I will hit my signature goals by the end of the year!

I was attempting the high volume training regiment I read about in one of the threads here trying to do 1000 closes a dayand the skin on my hands is just not ready for it, so pain is my limiting factor eachg day with trying to hit all my reps on the T.

You may want to work up to that volume slowly to avoid injury.

only area of pain is the 2nd pad of middle, ring, and pinky finger. I think that since I do not "set" the gripper, I just wrap my fingers around it and it moves into place with each rep to fully opened, that it is just too much abrasion with the sharp knurling. Im not sure if this is something that can ever be overcome with a method of repping like this as any calous would get rubbed away as it is created?

Hi there,

I came here after reading several comments on this site after I got interested in grip strenght.

I became interested in strenghtening my grip after I was struggling holding the 110Lbs dumbells doing shrugs and squats.

I allways thought I had farely strong hands but became painfully aware of the fact that I am actually a sissy when it comes to hand strenght...

But that will change! ;)

I started about 3 -4 weeks ago with some fitness training after doing mostly nothing for about 12 years... :blush

I was born on the 16th of april in the year of our Lord 1966 ;)

In the years that I wasn't active in any kind of sports my weight raised to 146kg (321Lbs...) :blush

I have that down now to 137kg (301Lbs...)

I like to get my weight back down to 110kg (240Lbs) again and in the meantime gain some strenght overall.

I am fascinated by the strenght some guys have in their hands and wrists and want that too!

I used to be pretty strong...

Could bench 180kg (nearly 400Lbs)

Overhead press 140kg (300Lbs)

Once curled 140kg for a couple of reps...

I am convinced I used to have strong forearms and wrists...

I had too!

But not anymore...

So that's what I want to achieve.

I started out by buying a couple of Captain of Crush grippers...

I bought every gripper up to the No.1

The No.1 is a pretty havy gripper IMHO!

So I started out doing a lot of reps last week and came to the conclusion that that might not be the best way to go about increasing my grip strenght...

I would like to learn how to get the best results using the gripper(s) here on the board.

So I think I start browsing the FAQ's...

hello all

my name is matt bell and I've been lurking for some time now just learning. I'm 31 5'10" 225 started training grip in 2/01/08.

got a full set of hg 100-- 350 but that was before i found coc now i have a coc 2/ 2.5/ 3/ 3.5/4 and have just recently have been abel too close the 2.5 for 2 full reps hope to one day get on the MM list.

hello all

my name is matt bell and I've been lurking for some time now just learning. I'm 31 5'10" 225 started training grip in 2/01/08.

got a full set of hg 100-- 350 but that was before i found coc now i have a coc 2/ 2.5/ 3/ 3.5/4 and have just recently have been abel too close the 2.5 for 2 full reps hope to one day get on the MM list.

2.5 x 2 is impressive :rock

sup

23yrs old

5'8, 235lbs

i started training grip a few months ago i started off with sport/trainer/#1

found out i wasted money on the sport and i could close the #1 for 2 reps with my right from the start and i could close teh trainer with my left for 3-4

now-

i can do the #1 for 15+ reps and hold the last one(just ordered a #2 a couple days ago)

and the left hand i can do the #1 for 2-4 reps depending on the day of the week

Edited by pernicus

sup

23yrs old

5'8, 235lbs

found out i wasted money on the sport and i could close the #1 for 2 reps with my right from the start and i could close teh trainer with my left for 3-4

now-

i can do the #1 for 15+ reps and hold the last one(just ordered a #2 a couple days ago)

o and i'm a medical student

sup

23yrs old

5'8, 235lbs

now-

Welcome!! Not bad start but sounds like you need some balance in your life as far as right and left hand strength goes. :rock

sup

23yrs old

5'8, 235lbs

now-

Welcome!! Not bad start but sounds like you need some balance in your life as far as right and left hand strength goes. :rock

i doubt that will ever happen, i was a bowler for most of my youth...my right forearm measure 13.25" and my left measures 12.5"