NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hello All.

My name is Bipro and just getting into serious Grip.

I used to be very fit healthy and had all right strength. I weigh in at about 78kg (172lbs). I was out of training for a while due to injury followed by laziness. my usual weight is very light - when i was climbing weekly i weighed in at 59kg (131lbs). This excessiveness of late has caused me to be rubbish in most things strength/fitness related recently, but i'm coming back down toward my regular. at my biggest i weighed in at 96kg (212lbs) - so you please note that i don't have a lot of muscle mass to work with, but what i do have I think goes a long way ;)

Interests which have prompted me into grip are (i) some martial arts; (ii) plenty of rock climbing (but i haven't gone in a while now); (iii) arm wrestling interest (more recreational than competitive); and, (iv) great functional strength.

I have no idea how i track in any sort of grip feat as i'm just trying to organise a grip plan of attack (which is one of the reasons i first came here).

I have ordered the COC Sport, Trainer and #1 as a starter. I wasn't sure if this was the best option but i thought better to start low and work up and see how it goes.

I have done a decent amount of grip/wrist work with my usual workout routines, but not nearly as much as i would like to. I did used to do plenty of chinups on door frames and push ups on fingers, reverse curls etc so i should be ok, but far from good. My plan is to incorporate grip specific training into 2-3 workouts per week, depending on my recovery times. Generally i train 6 times a week - 3 cardio workouts and 3 strength.

My goals would be, apart from the increase in strength mentioned above, be to CCS the #3 in 24 months. This seems like a realistic assessment at this point, but i'll have a better idea when my COCs arrive shortly. Of course i would have to re-asses on a monthly basis as i track my improvement.

So far my training plan (rough, no real specifics as i'm still working that out, and due to commence in 2 weeks) consists of:

2 crush exercises (grippers & plier lifting)

2 pinch exercises (plate pinching and hub lifting);

2 support exercises (farmers walk & baseball/softball)

2 wrist exercises (plate wrist curls - regular & reverse).

of course i'll change exercises every 4-6 weeks (periodisation).

Additionally i'm planning on doing extensor work with rubber bands and a bucket of sand/grain/rice to ensure balance and to prevent injury.

My characteristics:

Height: 173cm (5'8")

Weight: 78kg (172lbs)

Hand size: 193mm (7.6")

Anything i've missed?

Anyway. I hope to share my interest in grip and lower arm strength but no-one i know cares, which is why the grip board is a perfect way to meet fellow enthusiasts as well as garner a great range of opinions & deep experience in grip rather than trying to wing it on my own.

My question is, how does my plan outline sound? Any good? Anything that could be improved on? Any thing I've missed? Thoughts and suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks in advance to everyone here!

Bipro.

is anyone here?

Yep. I'm more a bender than a gripper, so I don't have any advice...but welcome!

is anyone here?

Yep. I'm more a bender than a gripper, so I don't have any advice...but welcome!

thanks mate. For a moment it seemed like i was stumbling around a ghost town! :)

pleased to meet you

is anyone here?

thanks mate. For a moment it seemed like i was stumbling around a ghost town! :)

pleased to meet you

And you as well. I try to see where everyone is from in the vain hope that someone will surface near me. You might post something in the 'gripboard' section if you want someone to look at your program. I think there are a bunch of people in your area, and I want to say there was recetly a grip competiton in Sydney.

is anyone here?

pleased to meet you

And you as well. I try to see where everyone is from in the vain hope that someone will surface near me. You might post something in the 'gripboard' section if you want someone to look at your program. I think there are a bunch of people in your area, and I want to say there was recetly a grip competiton in Sydney.

Thanks mate. I'll do that. it's good to see that the grip community is growing. I'm personally getting pretty obsessed with LAS - Lower Arm Strength.

My name is Adam and I have just started Jiu Jitsu. I want to improve my grip strength for grappling. I stumbled upon this forum and my hope is that I can learn about grip training. I have done traditional weight training for over 10 years and also have done a lot of boxing. I work out regularly but besides barbell wrist curls I have never done anything to improve my grip strength.

I am sure there is a previous post for newbees that can provide me with a good starting routine. I am also curious about grip workout frequency.

Thanks.

My name is Adam and I have just started Jiu Jitsu. I want to improve my grip strength for grappling. I stumbled upon this forum and my hope is that I can learn about grip training. I have done traditional weight training for over 10 years and also have done a lot of boxing. I work out regularly but besides barbell wrist curls I have never done anything to improve my grip strength.

I am sure there is a previous post for newbees that can provide me with a good starting routine. I am also curious about grip workout frequency.

Thanks.

Welcome from a fellow newbie! You can lookup some training in the Workout Reports and Training Routines forum. That'll give you some idea of what other people are doing and help in devising your own training (which is what i'm trying to do now).

Hi everyone.

As you can tell, my name is Michael Falkov, some of you may remember me from about 6 years ago when I posted as Quick Grip.

I'm 24 years old, 5'7", 140 lbs, and about 6 % body fat. Mathematics major at the University of New Mexico.

I am just getting back into training my grip after taking about 5 years off. My current training is all bodyweight except for the occasional weighted reverse hyper extension. My primary training includes cardio (elliptical machine, running, or punching bag drills), pull-ups, hindu squats, one leg squats, push-ups, handstand push-ups, planche push-ups, 90 degree push-ups, muscle ups, calf presses on a step, GHR, 180 degree sit-ups. I've also started rock climbing regularly, which renewed my interest in grip training. The climbing gym I train at has finger boards, campus boards, and gymnastics rings, so I use all of those. I'm working back up do doing iron crosses on the rings, and can currently do: muscle up, front level, back lever, planche. I can still do one arm chins, but haven't been working on them much lately.

Here are some previous accomplishments:

~25 Closes of the Master with my right hand and ~15 with my left. This gripper is significantly harder than my #2, which I am just able to close again right handed.

~5 rafter pull-ups.

3 one arm chin-ups with my right arm and 2 with my left.

State champion powerlifter for 18 and under in 2002.

I injured my hips doing squats about 6 years ago and haven't fully recovered yet. Because of the injury, wasn't able to exercise for a while, and wound up replacing my exercise obsession with an obsession for juggling. I know somewhere in the range of 500-600 tricks with 1-9 balls. I'm also into mnemonics and am currently working on memorizing the atomic weight of every element, I've already memorized the atomic number and name of each element. I'm working on adding one layer of data at a time, so after I finish atomic weights, I'll work on melting point, then boiling point, etc. Yeah, its not really physical training related, but some of you may find it interesting, so I'm mentioning it.

Its great to see how much the grip world has evolved since I left. So many new accomplishments, very inspiring. I hope that by rejoining the community, I will stay motivated and continue to make progress. I'll add a training log, which I hope some of you will view and critique.

Michael

Hi everyone.

As you can tell, my name is Michael Falkov, some of you may remember me from about 6 years ago when I posted as Quick Grip.

I'm 24 years old, 5'7", 140 lbs, and about 6 % body fat. Mathematics major at the University of New Mexico.

I am just getting back into training my grip after taking about 5 years off. My current training is all bodyweight except for the occasional weighted reverse hyper extension. My primary training includes cardio (elliptical machine, running, or punching bag drills), pull-ups, hindu squats, one leg squats, push-ups, handstand push-ups, planche push-ups, 90 degree push-ups, muscle ups, calf presses on a step, GHR, 180 degree sit-ups. I've also started rock climbing regularly, which renewed my interest in grip training. The climbing gym I train at has finger boards, campus boards, and gymnastics rings, so I use all of those. I'm working back up do doing iron crosses on the rings, and can currently do: muscle up, front level, back lever, planche. I can still do one arm chins, but haven't been working on them much lately.

Here are some previous accomplishments:

~25 Closes of the Master with my right hand and ~15 with my left. This gripper is significantly harder than my #2, which I am just able to close again right handed.

~5 rafter pull-ups.

3 one arm chin-ups with my right arm and 2 with my left.

State champion powerlifter for 18 and under in 2002.

I injured my hips doing squats about 6 years ago and haven't fully recovered yet. Because of the injury, wasn't able to exercise for a while, and wound up replacing my exercise obsession with an obsession for juggling. I know somewhere in the range of 500-600 tricks with 1-9 balls. I'm also into mnemonics and am currently working on memorizing the atomic weight of every element, I've already memorized the atomic number and name of each element. I'm working on adding one layer of data at a time, so after I finish atomic weights, I'll work on melting point, then boiling point, etc. Yeah, its not really physical training related, but some of you may find it interesting, so I'm mentioning it.

Its great to see how much the grip world has evolved since I left. So many new accomplishments, very inspiring. I hope that by rejoining the community, I will stay motivated and continue to make progress. I'll add a training log, which I hope some of you will view and critique.

Michael

Welcome Back Michael!! Your accomplishments, physically and mentally, are Truly Amazing!

Keep Up The Great Work My Friend and Keep Us Posted!!

Peace.

Hello and welcome Mike!

I lived in Japan for 4 years (many years ago) in the Tachikawa and Fussa areas.

Where in Japan are you?

Hi there all grip fanatics! How are you? Absolutley great I hope!

Anyhow, I´m not really a new member, I´ve been lurking here for a while and was a bit more acitive when I first registered, mainly in the chat. I have not posted in a while altough I take a look in here now and then. I´ve been educating myself for a couple of years and choose to focus totally on powerlifting and set aside all grip and martial arts training. Ah well, I´m back and hopefully I´ll start implementing griptraining in my schedule soon. mainly bending but the CoC´s won´t be safe either :D

Not sure if anyone is interested or not but here are some of my accomplishments as far as training goes:

I have closed my CoC #3 a few times in the past, not close to being certified though. I do not think I can close it right now.

I´ve bent some steel as well but do not remeber the what types of bars i managed to bend.

Current strength stats in the gym:

Squat 270kg, belt only

Bench 160kg, wristwraps only

Deadlift 280kg, no equipment at all (probably good for a 290kg lift right now but do not plan to max for a while)

Pushpress 120kg*3

Aiming for a 300kg squat, 180kg bench, 300kg deadlift and a 150kg pushpress right now.

Ah well, thats it folks, for now. Good luck with your training!

hello people! I am 16 years old, 5 ft. 10 in., 165 lbs, and im relatively new to the gripping world. I bought some heavy grips a while back (heavy grips suck! use CoC's) anywayz, i have more or less just toyed around with them up until about 2 weeks ago when I started the all mighty KTA program. its really brutal. I can just barely close the # 2 CoC on a good day. my short term goal is to have the 2.5 closed by the end of the program. my long term goal is to become certified for the # 3 by the time I turn 17 (6 months away) After that, i would like to try some pinch gripping because its pretty powerful looking. :rock

hello people! I am 16 years old, 5 ft. 10 in., 165 lbs, and im relatively new to the gripping world. I bought some heavy grips a while back (heavy grips suck! use CoC's) anywayz, i have more or less just toyed around with them up until about 2 weeks ago when I started the all mighty KTA program. its really brutal. I can just barely close the # 2 CoC on a good day. my short term goal is to have the 2.5 closed by the end of the program. my long term goal is to become certified for the # 3 by the time I turn 17 (6 months away) After that, i would like to try some pinch gripping because its pretty powerful looking. :rock

welcome aboard! after you do your KTA you should consider doing your pinch gripping along with your #3 certification program. The reason? Pinching develops your thumb & thumb pad, which improves your crush strength. I would suggest incorporating block weights and pinching when you formulate your #3 plan.

Good to see you're already on your way to a 2.5 at such a young age.

Hello, I'm a 25 year old Norwegian student who's quite recently begun focusing on grip training. However I've been a bodyweight training fanatic for several years with the one arm chin-up as my big obsession. I've also been an active climber. I guess it goes without saying that I'm not a big guy, given the climbing part. 181 cm and around 70 kg. I do train a lot. Six times a week. Strenght training, but also running and sea kayaking.

I can close the CoC#1,5 easily, but haven't really tried the #2. I'm waiting for it to arrive in the mail from America:)

My long term goal is to close number two, and maybe 2,5, but i guess I need to work up some more volume to be able to close the tougher ones.

I'm looking forward to learning from the best through this forum, thus my role here will be mainly as an observer.

Martin

Hi All -

I am Roger. 36 yrs. old, 5'11 205 Lbs. I dabbled on and off in weight training over the years, but never consistently. Then last June (with the desperation of age), I became dedicated to getting myself in better shape and seeing what I could do physically. An outgrowth of this has been grip training, which I really started in earnest just fairly recently. (I also want to someday be able to dunk a basketball; though that is only peripherally related.)

I was pretty strong to begin with, and am doing well. I just ordered a #2.5 gripper, as I can work out for sets of 8-10 with the number 2. I would love to do the #3 officially someday - hopefully fairly soon.

(And since others mention it, I have pretty small hands - 7 3/4 inches.)

Hello, I'm a 25 year old Norwegian student who's quite recently begun focusing on grip training. However I've been a bodyweight training fanatic for several years with the one arm chin-up as my big obsession. I've also been an active climber. I guess it goes without saying that I'm not a big guy, given the climbing part. 181 cm and around 70 kg. I do train a lot. Six times a week. Strenght training, but also running and sea kayaking.

I can close the CoC#1,5 easily, but haven't really tried the #2. I'm waiting for it to arrive in the mail from America:)

My long term goal is to close number two, and maybe 2,5, but i guess I need to work up some more volume to be able to close the tougher ones.

I'm looking forward to learning from the best through this forum, thus my role here will be mainly as an observer.

hey I know u! ur that guy on youtube that has those vids of that girs doing weighted pull ups, which are very impressive by the way. I think you may have seen me before. im lolmmmol. i used to train for the one arm chinds but i got injures. its nice to see you on the gripboard :happy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Im totally new here, and ive only just got the grippers aswell. CoC#1 and CoC#2.

i have done 19 reps on my right with CoC#2 as of today. and 8 on my left. im not sure however if ive gotten a weaker CoC then intended. but ill give the CoC#3 a try as soon as a buy it, and will supply pictures or a movie of it uppon success.

i will lurk alot and learn the tools of the trade :)

Hello

Im totally new here, and ive only just got the grippers aswell. CoC#1 and CoC#2.

i have done 19 reps on my right with CoC#2 as of today. and 8 on my left. im not sure however if ive gotten a weaker CoC then intended. but ill give the CoC#3 a try as soon as a buy it, and will supply pictures or a movie of it uppon success.

did you close the #2 on sight? (i.e. as soon as you received it)

Hello

and welcome aboard!

Bipro: Yes i did. but the 19 reps are ofcourse not ine one straight line. i had to take a second or two break inbetween to wipte my hand free from sweat, and take a new grip. i did 11 reps in one go. im not sure if that counts then.

Thanks!

greatings from Portugal!

i am a friend of Hugo aka "ewokhugo" and i wish you all the best.!