NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

hi, I'm Allen and I'm an alcoholic, oh wait, thats for annother board. I'm Allen and my friend Steve P referred me to this board. I'm 5'6", 200 lbs and just recently got into bending and grip strength so I'll admit that I'm a noobie to grip strength but not to powerlifting. I figure whats the point of having an xxx lb. (I put the x's in there) bench press or powerclean or squat if you can't raise the wait vertically with nothing but hand strength. Well I'll be lurking around, reading here and there and maybe if there's something I can comment on that won't get me flamed I'll comment.

Welcome aboard dudes!

Hi, My name is Kyle I am 17 years old, 6'0" and 220 lbs. My best lifts are: Bench 455 raw, Squat 575 raw, DeadLift 635 raw. A month ago I was given a HG-200 from a friend to try out and closed it with ease the first try. Since then I have closed all but the HG-350 which I am very close to closing.

Monster powerlifts dude. Have you closed that HG350 yet?

Hey everybody! People call me J-dub [spelled Jw], I’m in my twenties, 5’8” around 193lbs. No cool strength PR’s, my training was in endurance and/or sport specific training [Ex: 1200+ body-weight pushups, squats, sit-ups, etc. every workout – so endurance not strength, but an injury (see below) stopped all this], and I’m only just now really starting to get into lifting weights for strength… so my lifts are weak :( . I got into serious grip training mainly because of a martial art injury (it’s sort of like tennis elbow). I had a training accident from a senior black-belt in the dojo (no grudge by the way), so I have serious tendon issues in my left wrist/elbow/shoulder, and minor right elbow. I started doing wrist and grip work as rehab, and 2 years ago I first heard about the CoC. Sometimes the injuries pop-up again (is it bad if it hurts to pick up a mug of coffee? :whistel ), and it sets me back anywhere from 5%-to-50% in training. I can close the CoC #2 for reps, and can get the CoC #2.5 for 2-3 reps when my injuries haven’t flared in a while. I’m here because if you’re a weak newbie like me and want to be strong, you’d best hang out with giants (all of you).

Goals: pinch 5x 10’s (getting closer), CoC#2.5 for reps, close CoC#3, wrist curl 160lb again (lost it from previous injury flare).

Long-term goals: Close CoC#4, lift 300+ lbs v-bar, bend red nail, pinch 2x 45’s, wrist curl 200+lbs… (always aim for the stars I say).

Question: for the 5x 10lb plate lift, are standard plates what are used? Those are what I have.

Thanks ~ JW

Hi, my name is Colin and I've been into grip training (well seriously) for about the last 6-7 months. I've been lurking on here for sometime and can safely say I've found all the info I've needed without having to start any new threads :rock. Ok some basic info about me: I'm 26 5'10" and about 200 lbs, I train mainly bodyweight but also love sandbag training. I can mash the #2, #2.5 and HG300, I'm about 1cm away from the #3 but hey I'll get there. I've also started nail bending recently, nothing amazing just starting slow so I don't injure myself but someday hope to bend the red nail. So my short term goals are mash my #3 and become better at bending.

Thanks for reading.

Welcome to the boards people! some impressive strength listed already, and i'm sure you'll all reach your goals sooner than you think! hope to hear how you're all getting on soon.

Dimmers

Welcome Aboard Guys!!! :rock

Welcome to the board guys.

jw7 - nice work on that #2.5, also olympic plates are used for 5 10s! :)

Nails - good luck with the #3.

Looks like I'll have to spend some money to get Oly plates. I'm training pinch more these days, as I'm just off from a few week rehab from crush (to heal my arm after a major injury flare :whistel ), so I wanna do it right the first time. Hard not to squeeze those grippers :cry !! Heavier wrist and extensor training are helping as well... (got that from the Gripboard :rolleyes ) takin' it slow to get my total grip back up without a flare-up... :erm

Thanks for the info CoC#3! ~ JW

Sorry to hear about the injury issue bud. If pinch doesn't affect it hammer it hard. A powerball could help with rehab for you go to www.powerballs.com using it for a while gets blood to your elbows and could help with pain relief.

[intro]

Hey all, my name is James. I'm 24, 6'0", 150lbs. (tiny by this board's standards) and a rockclimber. My progress in climbing has been relatively quick, but over the last couple months I have focused on identifying my weak grips and begun spcific training to address those areas. My pinching was an obvious weak link which led me to some grip articles (knife-fighter pushups and 2x4 pinch pushups over at dragondoor.com) and eventually to this site. Over the last couple weeks I've made myself some home grip and pinch tools and read the training logs and FAQs on this site extensively while 'working' :whistel This past week I got some IM extensors and the CoC Trainer and #1.

Reading up on grip training has been the easy part, and now I'm in the process of figuring out what combination of exercises I want to incorporate into my training. As a climber, most specific grip training is going to be supplemental and take place after I climb at the gym (which I do 4-5 days a week currently), at least until I can get a routine that is worth missing the gym for. I have access to oly plates at the gym to do pinches with, as well as a bar for heavy finger curls, reverse curls, thumbless curls and the sort, so my choices of exercises are currently greater than I have available grip for.

I've begun recording my workouts and plan to start a training log here shortly once I find some sort of a routine. I'm also a big fan of bodyweight exercises and have read most of Ivarboneless' training log and have found it a great resource.

I considered getting grippers for a while, but it wasn't until I watched Chris Rider roll up a couple frying pans and turn a horseshoe into a heart that I actually decided to cough up the dough and get on with some training. I dunno what the extent of grip strength is for the leaner folk like me, but I'm aiming for the #2 by year's end for now. Peace.

[intro]

Hey all, my name is James. I'm 24, 6'0", 150lbs. (tiny by this board's standards) and a rockclimber. My progress in climbing has been relatively quick, but over the last couple months I have focused on identifying my weak grips and begun spcific training to address those areas. My pinching was an obvious weak link which led me to some grip articles (knife-fighter pushups and 2x4 pinch pushups over at dragondoor.com) and eventually to this site. Over the last couple weeks I've made myself some home grip and pinch tools and read the training logs and FAQs on this site extensively while 'working' :whistel This past week I got some IM extensors and the CoC Trainer and #1.

Reading up on grip training has been the easy part, and now I'm in the process of figuring out what combination of exercises I want to incorporate into my training. As a climber, most specific grip training is going to be supplemental and take place after I climb at the gym (which I do 4-5 days a week currently), at least until I can get a routine that is worth missing the gym for. I have access to oly plates at the gym to do pinches with, as well as a bar for heavy finger curls, reverse curls, thumbless curls and the sort, so my choices of exercises are currently greater than I have available grip for.

I've begun recording my workouts and plan to start a training log here shortly once I find some sort of a routine. I'm also a big fan of bodyweight exercises and have read most of Ivarboneless' training log and have found it a great resource.

I considered getting grippers for a while, but it wasn't until I watched Chris Rider roll up a couple frying pans and turn a horseshoe into a heart that I actually decided to cough up the dough and get on with some training. I dunno what the extent of grip strength is for the leaner folk like me, but I'm aiming for the #2 by year's end for now. Peace.

Welcome James sounds like you are off to a good start and about the lean thing I have some extremley lean freinds with a berzerk grip so dont think limitations just be open to any improvements and you will go further than you think possible right now!!

Brendan

Hi folks! I've been reading a lot of posts for a few months and decided to finally post something. I'm totally new to grip training but it appeals to me. I'm 6'4" and 175lbs...a "stick" by most standards and 35 years old. I've never really done much strength training and spent my younger years doing endurance exercises (long distance running, bicycling, race-walking). At age 29 I had a bad accident while mountain biking and fractured two vertebrae in my back. My activity level after that was never the same and I can't do much that involves stress on the back. Gripping seems like something I can handle to a degree. So far the only thing I have done is to buy a gripper (COC #2). I was able to get the handles about parallel right out of the package about 6 months ago and now I'm about 3mm away from closing it. I've been using it 2-3 times a week and just try to close it as far as I can - maybe 20-30 times each workout. I'm making progress even though this is the only thing I do. I live in southeast Asia now and have a limited income. I had to have a friend in the USA send the gripper to me but the shipping cost as much as the gripper did. I couldn't afford to get the T & #1 so I decided to just go for the #2 and see how it went. There are no gyms near where I live so I don't have access to any weightlifting equipment. If anyone has any suggestions for working out with anything (possibly homemade that isn't too much of a strain on the back) I'd be interested. Right now, I'm leaning towards trying to get a powerball since it seems to be isolated to the arm/hand (maybe a Xmas gift for myself this year). Never done any bending but it gets my curiosity going. I didn't even know it was a competitive event or that there were grip-based competitions.

Very interesting forum you guys have here...I sometimes spend hours reading posts and the time flies. Good luck to everyone with their goals. If I can get my #2 closed by the end of the year I'll happy as a pig in $#!@. :tongue

Edited by gumpster

Welcome Aboard Fellas!!! :rock

Welcome to the boards!

- gumpster, there are some pretty cool articles on grip training at http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles.HTM one of the articles is pretty good and its called 'Grip training for the poor man' it contains a lot of cool ideas on grip tools that you can make at hardly any expense. I make a lot of my own grip training equipment at home myself because you can build a great grip at hardly any cost (this gets explained in the article very well).

cheers

hi, my names rob,

I had a recommendation to join 'the leading authority on grip' , so here I am.

I recently purchased a CoC#1, which I cannot quite fully close, but I have no specific grip training as yet.

I will be implementing a grip routine into my weekly schedule shortly. Then ima slam that #1 shut, and order my #2 to work on.

Looking forward to this indeed.

phun

ps edit: forgot to ad the vitals. I'm 19, male, been training seriously since January, and now introducing the grip work. About 5'7 and 168lbs

Edited by phuntime

Hi. I am new to the gripboard, but not grip training. My interests shifted from powerlifting too strength training with a focus on grip after I started grip training to improve my deadlift. I bought some COC grippers (the trainer and #1) and was hooked. I don't remember how I heard of the gripboard, but here I am. I just thought I should introduce my self.

Hello, my name is Steve...I normally only post at intensemuscle and proactivehealthnet, but my grip sucks compared to my overall strength, so I'm looking for some more grip-training ideas. Eventually I'd like to work up to some of the strength feats and possibly gravitate more towards strongman type training (for the variety, not sure if i'll try to compete in it ever, but it looks like a nice variation over regular gym-type lifting) over the next couple years.

Hi, How are we all.

Im 19, 6'6" & 290lb. From Australia.

Ive been training since the start of the year with a general direction towards strongman. Ive recently purchased a few CoC grippers #2 #2.5 #3 with the intention of closing the number 3 one day. Ive browsed some threads on here that hopefully can help me in my grip training as ive never trained grip before.

At present im only training grip as a bit of a challenge.

Cheers,

Dean.v.

Edited by dean.v

Hello all..

My name is Brandon....27....6'1" going about 290 right now.....grip work is new to me, a huge lacking part of my current training that I hope to bring up..I love to lift heavy and tons of volume, not out of the question for me to spend two hours in the gym...Dont currently have a grip program, or any equipment. To date I have been just religning on the heavy barbell and dumbell work to bring my grip up to par, but that aint cutting it....I look foward to any great comments recieve and hope to be a solid contributer to the board..

-B

Welcome to the board to all of you. Brandon it's great to have another guy from Tucson besides acorn and me. You might even want to consider going to his griptogether if you want to learn from the best. Pm him or post in this http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=23714 thread if you're interested, I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

Edited by vikingsrule92

hi all,

just joined up a few days ago. I am a little over 6 feet tall, just turned 40 (I know ......old man) and have always been interested in bodybuilding with a special emphasis on grip training. In fact in my family my dad , my brother , my cousins would always greet each other with a crushing grip...my fascination with grip training began the day I saw my dad lift a particularly heavy dining chair by its front leg and then rear leg too. I tried to do it in my teens with al those rushing hormones but couldn't and even today I still can't . My dad is all of 79 years and still can (BTW that chair was of fantastic quality and is still in the family) although today I coulod probably crush his grip I can't lift that damn chair ..says a lot for his wrist strength. Also I can close a COC # 4 around halfway .My favorite grip tool was something called the Karatok which is something like the Eagle Claws sold by some martial arts sites today. My forearms at age 16 were around 15 inches ; bigger than some guys biceps .

But in all humility I have joined to learn from the forum. I look forward to being here.

I live in Bombay, India.

Edited by mannubhai

Hi all,

I'm Mark and have been learning about grip training on this board for just about one month. I'm 38 years old and have competed in approximately 12 bodybuilding contests from 2000 to 2005 and 1 strongman contest in 2002. I weigh about 195 and plan to compete in another strongman contest in the near future in the under 200lb class.

In 2004 I ruptured my distal bicep tendon, since then I have trained my deadlift with a double pronated grip, with the goal of someday hitting a 600lb deadlift. In addition to my typical weight training routine on weekdays and my strongman training on either Saturday or Sunday, I have been following the beginner grip training routine outlined on this site with a couple modifications. Instead of the Oly Bar finger curls I'm working on my CoC #1 (which I can close between 10 and 15 times) and my CoC #2 (which I can't close yet, but I'm really close). My favorite grip exercise is pinch gripping plates. I'm working with 2 25's for my three sets, getting a good 15 seconds with my right, and anywhere from 6 to 15 seconds with my left. I also train my farmer's handles with the 2'' grip. I also work in some 2'' and 3'' deadlifts from time to time.

My primary goals are to improve my overall grip strength for deadlifting and strongman. I also would like to close the CoC #2 and lift a 50lb blob (I've lifted a 37.5lb blob but not on a consistant basis). I have no future plans of competing in bodybuilding again, as my wife and child can't stand when I'm dieting...not to mention I can't stand it either!

I'm looking forward to learning from reading the posts on this board and reading how others modify their training to meet goals and break plateaus. So far the information on this board has helped my grip training tremendously!

Mark

Hey. Saw a link to this site on a strength training forum I frequent, and registered so I could see the content. I got interested in grip training because it was originally limiting my deadlifts, although I'm long past that now. Yesterday I pinch-lifted two 25 lb plates off the ground with each hand, which was my goal for a while. I can't even close the COC1 yet, but I hope to soon.

Welcome Aboard Guys!!! :rock