NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

5 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I started at 48.

Respect.

• Like 3

On 1/24/2023 at 1:49 PM, dubyagrip said:

Hi -

I'm Jay.  I'm 37 and from Colorado.  I recognize a lot of you from instagram where I mostly post.  I registered on here some time ago, but I have a hard time being active on forums.  Ego, talking smack, and drama aren't really things I need in my life, and that's what usually goes on in forums, so...I'm mainly here to keep eye out for things that are for sale, and I'd also like to start down the path of the mash monster certs.  I'm certified on the #3, and I can TNS it now.  I'm about to close a cobalt from CCS, so...I'm not to far off from certifying on the #3.5.  I have freakishly large hands, so I definitely have an advantage when closing from the wider sets.

I've always kept my grip strong while focusing on bodybuilding and just enjoying weights, but I started dedicating my training to grip back in September when I realized my genetic gifts and talents have an expiration date.  I certified in November, and the holidays derailed me a bit, but I'm back on track.  I enjoy all the other armlifts and steel bending.  Once I close the #3.5, I will do Crushed to Dust.  I'm like 10lbs off on my RT lift, right now. 

I hope the sport will continue to grow because it has brought a lot of joy and fulfillment in my life, when there hasn't been any otherwise.  Even in my deepest depressive cycles, I can always train grip.  I think a lot of people out there could benefit from gripsport like I do.

I'll pop in here occasionally to post significant feat and strength updates, but if you're interested in keeping a closer look at what I'm up to, I'm on instagram, tiktok, and youtube.  My handle on each one is @dubyagrip.

Peace.

Welcome @dubyagrip!  We have very strict rules here and we try and keep drama and egos out of the picture.  Over 20 years basically operating as a discussion forum.

• Like 4

Hello everyone.

I'm from France and discovered grippers via my Old man as he had a few laying around(he's collected a few easy ones from years of buying climbing gear and being gifted some from friends)

I used to climb but shoulder injuries have gotten in my way for the last few years and i had to give it up.

However i refuse to give up training my grip so i've gotten into the idea of starting on more serious grippers to maintain or even hopefully improve my grip.

I just ordered the Heavy grip 150 and 200 with the 200 being my long term goal for now.

I'm very interested in recording the number of reps it take for their springs to break to bring stats about gripper lifespan following the results of this thread :

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Apneaa said:

Hello everyone.

I'm from France and discovered grippers via my Old man as he had a few laying around(he's collected a few easy ones from years of buying climbing gear and being gifted some from friends)

I used to climb but shoulder injuries have gotten in my way for the last few years and i had to give it up.

However i refuse to give up training my grip so i've gotten into the idea of starting on more serious grippers to maintain or even hopefully improve my grip.

I just ordered the Heavy grip 150 and 200 with the 200 being my long term goal for now.

I'm very interested in recording the number of reps it take for their springs to break to bring stats about gripper lifespan following the results of this thread :

Welcome @Apneaa!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

My name is Matej, I'm from Slovenia, and I am excited to contribute to this forum. I think that it's amazing that this community has existed for over 20 years 🤯. I don't know of many online communities that are still going after so much time.

I got interested in grip strength about two years ago when I realized that my grip was the weakest link in my final sets when weightlifting.
Originally, my interest was more on endurance than on max grip and I did get some improvement just by getting the 40-80 lbs resistance rings, having them at my desk and using them multiple times a day.
I also do a 45-second hang on both hands (also good for back decompression), and a 5-10 second hang on a single hand at least once per day.

Last year I started reading more about measuring grip strength as a diagnostic tool for tracking strength gains as well as a way to measure recovery from training, sleep quality, health etc. and I bought the standard Camry dynamometer.

This year I will be following some of the training protocols described on this forum and I want to use the dyno to track my progress so I can have a better idea of what kind of training works best for me.

When I first got the dynamometer, I just recorded my grip measurements on my phone's note app.
I found this less than ideal and since I have experience building mobile apps I started making a free app for recording grip strength and providing useful analytics like your strength progress over time, your left vs right hand strength distribution, your percentile ranking given your age, gender etc.

The mobile iOS app is in beta now. It's not on the App Store yet but I would be happy to share a link with anyone who might be interested in trying it out and hopefully getting some interesting stats about their grip strength.

I'm still reading some earlier posts about people's experience with their dynos and I'm hoping to learn more about how they have used it for training and tracking their progress.

Thanks,
Matej

• Like 6

Hello my name is Justin. My background is mostly arm wrestling but I’ve had a huge interest in grippers for just as long, I’ve managed to close my number #3 and GHP level 7. I’ve decided I’m gonna really focus on grippers and see what I can accomplish. I’ve been training grip for around 4 years

• Like 7

Not really a new member with almost 1500 posts since 2007, but I've been inactive for about 15 years. 😬
Haven't done any grip training or strength training in between, only some climbing, mountainbiking, martial arts and focusing on work and family.
Picked up my grippers again, almost 2 weeks ago now and i've been training with them every 1-2 days now.
Parallel set my 2.5 this evening for the first time again, so I decided to bend some nails as well.
Still got a lot of stock left, but not all of them have clear ratings, so I've bent some bolts and nails and also bent the 60D nails into 3 again. Unfortunately bothered by a long lasting injury, but still happy with the result. :)

Very curious to see where I can take it again after all that time!

Cheers,
Mark Vogels
The Netherlands

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hello my name is Brad Arnold I’m currently living in Australia. 
I am 45 yrs old. 183cm 115kg. I am a carpet layer and I like to lift heavy things. I have power building and martial arts background.

I don’t have any past experience with grippers but grippers somehow found there way into my life. I only have 5 months of gripping training experience. I have completed the KTA programme and have just realised I was supposed to do RRBT first. So yeh I’m an amateur trying to find his true strength because up until late I have come to the realisation that I have wasted all these years not training my grip strength instead relying on straps. I need to redeem what I foolishly ignored. 
So far I’m doing ok, probably doing some things wrong but I’m getting there. 
laugh out loud I thought I might have a chance of closing #3 Non cert. That’s how clueless I was. 
I was able to close #2 on my third day of training with the card and then #2.5 close a couple weeks later and that was with minimal training. 
So I assumed I could progress to closing #3 soon after lol. 
after soon figuring out how deluded I was I switched into serious mode and fully committed to KTA. 
So after almost completely destroying my hands I found myself 8mm away from closing it but cheating to start with because my little thumb Is not big and strong enough and I don’t have the final closing strength. So all up I don’t have a good sweep or finishing strength to even consider myself a #3 closer, not for probably a long time. So I’m going to rest a bit then start this RRBT and see where I really am. I really like this grip sport and I’m glad to see it’s very much a thing.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2023 at 6:50 PM, MyetaM said:

Hello everyone!

My name is Matej, I'm from Slovenia, and I am excited to contribute to this forum. I think that it's amazing that this community has existed for over 20 years 🤯. I don't know of many online communities that are still going after so much time.

I got interested in grip strength about two years ago when I realized that my grip was the weakest link in my final sets when weightlifting.
Originally, my interest was more on endurance than on max grip and I did get some improvement just by getting the 40-80 lbs resistance rings, having them at my desk and using them multiple times a day.
I also do a 45-second hang on both hands (also good for back decompression), and a 5-10 second hang on a single hand at least once per day.

Last year I started reading more about measuring grip strength as a diagnostic tool for tracking strength gains as well as a way to measure recovery from training, sleep quality, health etc. and I bought the standard Camry dynamometer.

This year I will be following some of the training protocols described on this forum and I want to use the dyno to track my progress so I can have a better idea of what kind of training works best for me.

When I first got the dynamometer, I just recorded my grip measurements on my phone's note app.
I found this less than ideal and since I have experience building mobile apps I started making a free app for recording grip strength and providing useful analytics like your strength progress over time, your left vs right hand strength distribution, your percentile ranking given your age, gender etc.

The mobile iOS app is in beta now. It's not on the App Store yet but I would be happy to share a link with anyone who might be interested in trying it out and hopefully getting some interesting stats about their grip strength.

I'm still reading some earlier posts about people's experience with their dynos and I'm hoping to learn more about how they have used it for training and tracking their progress.

Thanks,
Matej

Welcome @MyetaM!

On 2/12/2023 at 8:26 PM, Justin Douglas said:

Hello my name is Justin. My background is mostly arm wrestling but I’ve had a huge interest in grippers for just as long, I’ve managed to close my number #3 and GHP level 7. I’ve decided I’m gonna really focus on grippers and see what I can accomplish. I’ve been training grip for around 4 years

Welcome @Justin Douglas !

On 2/18/2023 at 3:56 PM, wscorpion said:

Not really a new member with almost 1500 posts since 2007, but I've been inactive for about 15 years. 😬
Haven't done any grip training or strength training in between, only some climbing, mountainbiking, martial arts and focusing on work and family.
Picked up my grippers again, almost 2 weeks ago now and i've been training with them every 1-2 days now.
Parallel set my 2.5 this evening for the first time again, so I decided to bend some nails as well.
Still got a lot of stock left, but not all of them have clear ratings, so I've bent some bolts and nails and also bent the 60D nails into 3 again. Unfortunately bothered by a long lasting injury, but still happy with the result. :)

Very curious to see where I can take it again after all that time!

Cheers,
Mark Vogels
The Netherlands

Welcome @wscorpion!

On 3/8/2023 at 12:41 AM, Brad Arnold said:

Hello my name is Brad Arnold I’m currently living in Australia. 
I am 45 yrs old. 183cm 115kg. I am a carpet layer and I like to lift heavy things. I have power building and martial arts background.

I don’t have any past experience with grippers but grippers somehow found there way into my life. I only have 5 months of gripping training experience. I have completed the KTA programme and have just realised I was supposed to do RRBT first. So yeh I’m an amateur trying to find his true strength because up until late I have come to the realisation that I have wasted all these years not training my grip strength instead relying on straps. I need to redeem what I foolishly ignored. 
So far I’m doing ok, probably doing some things wrong but I’m getting there. 
laugh out loud I thought I might have a chance of closing #3 Non cert. That’s how clueless I was. 
I was able to close #2 on my third day of training with the card and then #2.5 close a couple weeks later and that was with minimal training. 
So I assumed I could progress to closing #3 soon after lol. 
after soon figuring out how deluded I was I switched into serious mode and fully committed to KTA. 
So after almost completely destroying my hands I found myself 8mm away from closing it but cheating to start with because my little thumb Is not big and strong enough and I don’t have the final closing strength. So all up I don’t have a good sweep or finishing strength to even consider myself a #3 closer, not for probably a long time. So I’m going to rest a bit then start this RRBT and see where I really am. I really like this grip sport and I’m glad to see it’s very much a thing.

Welcome @Brad Arnold!

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 7:50 AM, MyetaM said:

Hello everyone!

Thanks,
Matej

Fyi. The grip tracking app I mentioned is now live and available for iPhone: 

- https://apps.apple.com/app/grip-meter/id1671234283

I also wrote a short post about it on the Equipment section of the forum.

Hi, I’m Fire Rose and I’m looking for a beginner grip strength program. I want to learn more from this forum. 

I’ve never done grip training before and I want to learn for the job I want to do. I’m 22, I’m 5’8” and 168lbs. 

My apologies for not introducing myself sooner.  My name is Doug (or "Doug Dude" - which my buddys' mom started calling me in high school because I apparently said "dude" a lot).

As I mentioned in the "About Me" section of my profile,  I was "skinny fat" in high school - lean but not much muscle.  (See https://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/swole-jacked-yoked-lingo).

Partway thru my junior year I started lifting with a buddy from elementary school and his neighbor.  Just bench and curls.  That was it.

After high school I joined the Army near the end of Desert Storm and got pretty fit.  But after I got out, I basically stopped working out.  Fast-forward nearly 20 years and my first ever deadlift was in November 2017 at age 47.

I bought a pair of grippers at some point in late 2017 or early 2018 because my grip was a limiting factor for deadlifts and I thought they would help.  I've never used straps.

Block weights came later.  Sept 2021 was my first purchase after watching a bunch of Jedd Johnson and Brian Shaw videos.

For some reason I thought starting with a York 85 I found on Ebay was a good idea.  Shortly afterward I added a York 80 and skinny Hampton 60 and my journey actually began.

But it wasn't until joined thegripauthority.com in January 2023 (at age 52) that I really saw progress.  And then I decided I was finally ready to join the gripboard community in March 2023.

Hindsight 20/20, I should have joined a lot earlier and spared myself a lot of trial & error (mostly error) struggling on my own.

• Like 5

Hi I'm Hydra I'm doing negative training with #3.5 and also doing weight training My goal is to close each of my hands with #4 parallel set Nice to meet you Please take good care of me

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Douglas Carney said:
My apologies for not introducing myself sooner.  My name is Doug (or "Doug Dude" - which my buddys' mom started calling me in high school because I apparently said "dude" a lot).

As I mentioned in the "About Me" section of my profile,  I was "skinny fat" in high school - lean but not much muscle.  (See https://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/swole-jacked-yoked-lingo).

Partway thru my junior year I started lifting with a buddy from elementary school and his neighbor.  Just bench and curls.  That was it.

After high school I joined the Army near the end of Desert Storm and got pretty fit.  But after I got out, I basically stopped working out.  Fast-forward nearly 20 years and my first ever deadlift was in November 2017 at age 47.

I bought a pair of grippers at some point in late 2017 or early 2018 because my grip was a limiting factor for deadlifts and I thought they would help.  I've never used straps.

Block weights came later.  Sept 2021 was my first purchase after watching a bunch of Jedd Johnson and Brian Shaw videos.

For some reason I thought starting with a York 85 I found on Ebay was a good idea.  Shortly afterward I added a York 80 and skinny Hampton 60 and my journey actually began.

But it wasn't until joined thegripauthority.com in January 2023 (at age 52) that I really saw progress.  And then I decided I was finally ready to join the gripboard community in March 2023.

Hindsight 20/20, I should have joined a lot earlier and spared myself a lot of trial & error (mostly error) struggling on my own.

Welcome! Thank you for your service.

You are off to a great start already and you will only continue to improve.  Don't knock yourself, your here now doing it, thats all that counts... I also  feel like I wasted a couple years myself too but who cares..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Welcome! Thank you for your service.

You are off to a great start already and you will only continue to improve.  Don't knock yourself, your here now doing it, thats all that counts... I also  feel like I wasted a couple years myself too but who cares..

I appreciate the support!  So happy to join the forum and be here now.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 11:28 AM, Douglas Carney said:

I appreciate the support!  So happy to join the forum and be here now.

Just a quick follow-up to my earlier introduction, @Jedd Johnson posted my first ever feat attempt!

I really appreciate members taking a minute to view/vote on a video that for me represents years of work.

It's very humbling to join such a great community.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2023 at 11:18 AM, Douglas Carney said:

Me too.  I first discovered grippers in 2016 at age 47, but waited a year to be ready to post.  As soon as I did post in late 2017, I was invited to local workouts and quickly made grip friends who mentored me to the point that I feel like a part of this weird, spread-out but tight-knit community.

I'll be 54 next month and i feel like I am still getting better, not worse, over time.  I know that can't last forever, but I'll take it while I have it ...

Welcome.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

Just a quick follow-up to my earlier introduction, @Jedd Johnson posted my first ever feat attempt!

I really appreciate members taking a minute to view/vote on a video that for me represents years of work.

It's very humbling to join such a great community.

This is the best community i've ever been a part of, ive said it a million times. I've been on a few guitar forums and a blacksmithing one. Blacksmiths and musicians, at least online are pretty rude especially to newcomers and talk down to people.. They belittle you if you don't word a question properly.  I know  few blue collar smiths that are nice, but the artsy ones are very rude.

Here, it doesn't matter if you bend a 3/16 bar or gold nail, or what weight your pulling, as long as its not braced everyone supports everyone.  I bought  David Hornes Gripopaedia book , i messaged him on Facebook thanking him for writing such a great book and we had a nice conversation. We don't even know each other. And I don't think you can find a better more dedicated strength/grip coach than Jedd, if i text or email him 9 times out of 10 he responds within 5 minutes, whether its 5am or 8 at night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Me too.  I first discovered grippers in 2016 at age 47, but waited a year to be ready to post.  As soon as I did post in late 2017, I was invited to local workouts and quickly made grip friends who mentored me to the point that I feel like a part of this weird, spread-out but tight-knit community.

I'll be 54 next month and i feel like I am still getting better, not worse, over time.  I know that can't last forever, but I'll take it while I have it ...

Welcome.

That's awesome!  I feel like we have some commonalities coming into the grip world around the same age and still getting better.  Wishing you all the best and continued success!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

This is the best community i've ever been a part of, ive said it a million times. I've been on a few guitar forums and a blacksmithing one. Blacksmiths and musicians, at least online are pretty rude especially to newcomers and talk down to people.. They belittle you if you don't word a question properly.  I know  few blue collar smiths that are nice, but the artsy ones are very rude.

Here, it doesn't matter if you bend a 3/16 bar or gold nail, or what weight your pulling, as long as its not braced everyone supports everyone.  I bought  David Hornes Gripopaedia book , i messaged him on Facebook thanking him for writing such a great book and we had a nice conversation. We don't even know each other. And I don't think you can find a better more dedicated strength/grip coach than Jedd, if i text or email him 9 times out of 10 he responds within 5 minutes, whether its 5am or 8 at night. 

This is exactly why I am so happy to be a member now!

Everyone I've met so far has been very supportive and encouraging.  And Jedd...I can't count how many times I've thanked him and told him I wouldn't be lifting this stuff without his guidance and assistance.  He's awesome!

It's pretty amazing that we can all come together, share our experiences, and help each other out.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

This is exactly why I am so happy to be a member now!

Everyone I've met so far has been very supportive and encouraging.  And Jedd...I can't count how many times I've thanked him and told him I wouldn't be lifting this stuff without his guidance and assistance.  He's awesome!

It's pretty amazing that we can all come together, share our experiences, and help each other out.

Welcome to the Gripboard @Douglas Carney!

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2023 at 9:47 AM, Fire Rose said:

Hi, I’m Fire Rose and I’m looking for a beginner grip strength program. I want to learn more from this forum. 

I’ve never done grip training before and I want to learn for the job I want to do. I’m 22, I’m 5’8” and 168lbs. 

Welcome to the Gripboard @Fire Rose!

On 3/25/2023 at 11:20 AM, Hydra said:

Hi I'm Hydra I'm doing negative training with #3.5 and also doing weight training My goal is to close each of my hands with #4 parallel set Nice to meet you Please take good care of me

Welcome to the Gripboard @Hydra!