NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

On 11/20/2023 at 10:56 PM, jmort said:

My name is Josh. I’m a musician, fly fisher, and a line cook. I’ve recently grown interest in the grip scene, and I’d love to compete sometime soon. I’m 20 years old, 5’9”, and 155 lbs as of today.

Hey Josh! Welcome! Good to see another 74 kg class guy around. Get to a comp soon, you’ll love it. :) 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Cannon said:

Hey Josh! Welcome! Good to see another 74 kg class guy around. Get to a comp soon, you’ll love it. :) 

thanks man!

i’m tentatively planning on lifting in columbus in march, as long as i don’t blow up my wrists before then.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey folks, 

My name is Jon, I've been lurking for a couple weeks learning but thought I'd intro my self. I'm new to gripping. I have a few COC grippers and have closed a number 2 and 2.5 just once in the last month but I'm working on that more. I'd really like to get to a no3 and certify as a current goal so I'll be asking some questions! Merry Christmas!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, ACE84 said:

Hey folks, 

My name is Jon, I've been lurking for a couple weeks learning but thought I'd intro my self. I'm new to gripping. I have a few COC grippers and have closed a number 2 and 2.5 just once in the last month but I'm working on that more. I'd really like to get to a no3 and certify as a current goal so I'll be asking some questions! Merry Christmas!

Welcome! Looks like you’re on your way to the #3 dang. You’ve got a great base level of crushing strength. Where do you suspect it came from?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cannon said:

Welcome! Looks like you’re on your way to the #3 dang. You’ve got a great base level of crushing strength. Where do you suspect it came from?

Thank you, Oh I didn't start off that way. About a year ago I bought a COC sport and No.1 I couldn't close the number one so I bought a 0.5 which was more of a challenge but I could close it. Shortly after that I bought new Rack, Bar, Plates etc. and started training with the Starting strength novice program and basically forgot about the grippers kinda put them in a sock drawer. So for the first half of 2023 I was pretty consistent but then I got a new job and have been slammed. Fast forward to a month ago I was rearranging some stuff and came across the grippers and I happened to grab one and started repping it then I realized it was the No.1 that I couldn't close before. So thats when I bought the No.2 Thinking that I would have to start working up to that and then I took it out the package and closed it on the first try to my surprise. So then I bought the No.2.5 and then I almost closed it on the first try. And then I kinda been messing with grippers a bit so finally I closed the 2.5 a week later. And now I'm here. 

On a side note I just bought your Iron Gripper and its miles ahead of the COC in grip feel but I got about a 0.5" to close it. Now I'm wondering if I should look into a choker cobalt to work on and finally get me ready for the No.3 any thoughts? 

• Like 7

Hey y'all,

I'm Gabriel. A writer living in SLC. I'm mostly a climber but I travel for work, and so got into Captains of Crush that way, and from there found CPW, then the grip community on Reddit, to here. My background is mostly lifting heavy books, so I'm pretty weak compared to most athletes. I'm 5'9, a 175lbs, 36ish years old. I have newborn premie twins, and that has kept me in ICU rooms and out of the gym for a 4ish months, so I've lost a lot of fitness, but before that I was bouldering v8 (indoors), with a 1-arm pullup and 1-arm beastmaker edge hang.

I'm working on closing the CoC 2.5 (my biggest close is RGC 114), bending a grade 8 bolt or else a fat bastard (I'm bending 60ds these days), and improving my pinch and crimp deadlifts. My other major goal is a 1arm pullup on a 20mm edge, which will require regaining a lot of strength. I going to attempt the Crushed to Dust challenge this year, just for kicks, as I've never tried the hub pinch or rolling thunder before. I'm also going for as many Eat Chalk certs as I can. I've heard rumors about a Cannon Power Works cert and I'm all in, if there's a division light enough for me.

Because of babies, I'm changing my training from the climbing gym to a basement, where I'm doing 5/3/1 and grip stuff, working around a demanding work/baby schedule. My training sucks, so I'm trying to learning. Pretty stoked to here and receptive to all tips and advice.

• Like 6

Hello. Looking for friends who share the same goal as I which is to close the final CoC gripper. I am addicted, lol. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RC_ALPHABET said:

the final CoC gripper

The #4?! I only *wish* I could be that friend 

• Like 2

I  am  new to this Board

age is  79,  5 ft  11 inches,  165 lbs , about 10% body fat

I believe  aging is an Extreme SPORT  -  Use it of Lose it !

besides  Lean Body Mass and your VO2 MAX,

grip  is important - we  do some many tasks  daily using

our hands  -  Grip is IMPORTANT !

I have  one tool not widely known

the the SIDE WINDER XTREME , orignally designed

by a tree surgeon for his workers to improve hand

and forearm strength and endurance -  I huge improvement

over  the old style WRIST ROLLER with rope and weight

Josh in Northern Nevada  high desert  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Relatively new but hadnt seen this topic (and need to get that post count up).

91kg (14st 4lb in old timey and 200lbs in freedom units), 6ft, 8.25 inch hand length.

Started with grippers about 14 years ago and peaked about 10 years ago. Pretty much stopped doing grippers at that point (was probably able to ccs something around 135-140 RGC) or even working out at all. Started getting back into it recently after some major back issues. 

Pretty much back at my peak (in terms of grip) and I want that damn cert. It shouldn't be too far down the road if I can keep healthy

Edited by Slipshod
  • Like 3

Greetings.Im Mohammad.20 yo 233 lbs/106kgs 5,9.5 foot/177.5 cms.I started gripping to build forearms and supplement my arm wrestling and BJJ.Now im obsessed with the sport.I use all kinds of weird whizmo-ghizmos to boost my grip.Im not good at it and i have small hands.I mainly use my left arm for gripping and I believe its little more gifted than the right one.Im also interested in circus strongman stuff such as nail bending and rod twisting.Id like to learn from y’all to improve myself.Looking forward for good times together 

Edited by Beetle
  • Like 4

Hey all, 

im Erik I’m 25 185 and bulking, been loosely into grip sports for around 7 years, best I’ve closed is a 1.5 due to inconsistency, but training again for sport (I do grappling lifting and such) and want to just have a strong grip. #2 is the New Year’s resolution! 

• Like 2

Sup lads. Im Noah i live in RI,. Just found this forum. Can currently close a COC#2. Personal goal is to close a 3 and get certified. I gaurentee it will happen (eventually). 

• Like 3

bonjour je m'appelle Steeve et mon objectif cette année est de pincer 2 assiette de 35 lb ; de curler 35lb plate car je fais des répétitions de 15 avec 20 facile rom entière donc renforcer mes doight; Rolling Thunder 155-160 car j'ai pas beaucoup d'expérience ;je désire me certifier d'ici 1an et demi coc 3 car je suis assez prés ; clifhanger doigt de crochet 140 minimum serait un très bon ascenseur car je me suis entraine pour;j'ai fais le hub 48 lb et j'en suis très fier ; je veux aller plus longe; 2hp 150 car je suis débutant la dedans ;et levier 70livre sur bloc de 3 pouces je serais content; aussi je veux faire des prise de poid de maintien de chaque main avec 39 mm de diamètre le plus longtemp possible et un bon poid pour prendre de la force et de la grip;;;je suis 6 pied je pese 240 main de 7 .7 inch . le but est d,etre satisfait de moi et de me depasser . 

je commence avec 70a 80 lb chaque cote et j'augmeterai;le bu est en bas de une minute pour la force et d'aller a au moins 120 livre a 130 livre chaque cote ;;;le plus longtemps ;;je fais mes extenseur pour équilibrer tout;;aussi je prends mon bloc de 3 et pouces avec la goupille je met du poid et je serre très fort envers la poitrine comme une brique pour faire travailler les pectoraux ,épaules , mains et paumes pour le bend ou la main ouverte en général ; je travaille aussi sur le pouce j'ai acheté des poids récemment pour cela 4 35 lb donc j'ai beaucoup de travail a accomplir et pour conclure je dois travailler le tns ccs bloc set que j'ai toujours négligé à 90 %... déchirer un jeu de carte sera le suivant ; Merci beaucoup 

Edited by steeve
oubli de mes mensuration
  • Like 3

On 05/01/2024 at 18:50, Joshlo said:

Je suis nouveau sur ce forum

l'âge est de 79 ans, 5 pieds 11 pouces, 165 livres, environ 10 % de graisse corporelle

Je crois que vieillir est un SPORT Extrême   - Utilisez-le ou perdez-le !

en plus de la masse maigre et de votre VO2 MAX,

l'adhérence est importante - nous effectuons de nombreuses tâches quotidiennement en utilisant

nos mains - La prise est IMPORTANTE !

J'ai un outil peu connu

le SIDE WINDER XTREME , conçu originalement

par un arboriculteur pour que ses ouvriers améliorent la main

et la force et l'endurance de l'avant-bras - une énorme amélioration

sur le ROULEAU DE POIGNET de style ancien avec corde et poids

Josh dans le haut désert du nord du Nevada  

j'ai le sidewinder et je crois que c'est meilleur ou l'equivalent que le rouleau du poignet car on travaille les extenseur et les flechisseur .  on peut calibrer la force qui peut etre tres eleve et on a pas besoin du max car il me semble qu j'ai lu que la derniere goupille c'est environ 360-380 livre de force . moi j'arrete a la 2 et parfois 2 et demi ; 3 tu fais 10 repetitions et tu redescends mais je vais pas a 3

Hello everyone, name is Josh age 33, 5'9" currently around 290lbs/133kg. I'm a cable maintenance technician. I live in Bakersfield, CA. I've been into grip for a little over a year now with my 13 year old daughter. We did the Armlifting USA Super Series this last year together 2023. Im really loving the community most out of everything. I'm not very good yet but it's a lot of fun to me. Looking forward to try to compete more this year and keep growing in the sport and meet more great people to add to the positivity in my life.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jvillareal said:

Hello everyone, name is Josh age 33, 5'9" currently around 290lbs/133kg. I'm a cable maintenance technician. I live in Bakersfield, CA. I've been into grip for a little over a year now with my 13 year old daughter. We did the Armlifting USA Super Series this last year together 2023. Im really loving the community most out of everything. I'm not very good yet but it's a lot of fun to me. Looking forward to try to compete more this year and keep growing in the sport and meet more great people to add to the positivity in my life.

Welcome, pretty cool you get to train with your kid. Its a great community.

Always wanted to visit Bakersfield.. some of my favorite music is from there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Welcome, pretty cool you get to train with your kid. Its a great community.

Always wanted to visit Bakersfield.. some of my favorite music is from there.

Thank you. Ya she loves it fortunately, it's definitely a great bonding activity.

Good old country music history, good food. Only time I recommend visiting is now and late November other than that it's 100+ degrees 6 months out of the year.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jvillareal said:

Thank you. Ya she loves it fortunately, it's definitely a great bonding activity.

Good old country music history, good food. Only time I recommend visiting is now and late November other than that it's 100+ degrees 6 months out of the year.

old country and good food. Those are two of my favorite things..

• Like 2

Hey, Grip Community. My name is Ryan and I live in CT. and have been training grip for about 7-8 months give or take. I’m 44 and no real strength or fitness background aside from 5 years of BJJ back in my 20’s. I stumbled across grip related videos online and became really intrigued. I’m trying to incorporate exercise and health into my life and this has been a new and welcoming take on it. Just trying to learn the ropes and meet people and so far I’ve been fortunate in both regards. Thanks for the support! 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Ryan Fennessy said:

Hey, Grip Community. My name is Ryan and I live in CT. and have been training grip for about 7-8 months give or take. I’m 44 and no real strength or fitness background aside from 5 years of BJJ back in my 20’s. I stumbled across grip related videos online and became really intrigued. I’m trying to incorporate exercise and health into my life and this has been a new and welcoming take on it. Just trying to learn the ropes and meet people and so far I’ve been fortunate in both regards. Thanks for the support! 

Welcome 

Hello all,

New member here. My name is Ryan. I signed up to the Gripboard a long time ago but never really posted. I was in the group a while back in 2008 I believe when I bought the whole Ironmind set and later a few GHPs. I got up to closing a 3 non credit card style with my right and about a 2-2.5 with my left. Then I put them down for a few years for some reason. Long story short I broke my right (dominant) hand last year and that really set me back. I've been recovering ever since and back to almost full strength in my right. Side note: I was the first guy in the Larry Wheels Venice Beach YouTube video. Seems like I made a fool out of myself but it is what it is haha. I mentioned closing a 2.5, then was tested on a grip dyno which I hadn't tried since physical therapy a few months prior. I did mediocre hitting only 63 kg. I caught a lot of flack in the comments, which inspired me to get back into grip. Ordered another loading pin, pinch hub, Rolling Thunder, etc which I sold all years ago. Long story short, I have three grip dynamometers now LOL. The Baseline that Larry uses I hit 96.6kg peak so far, a unit called the GD150 I'm at 94.75kg and the Russian GM-150 Grippermania I just received the other day. I'm still fine tuning it and at 93.4kg. My goal is a big one but to be in the top 10 overall in grip dynamometer strength with the GM-150. That would equate to 130-140kg in each hand. I also want to certify at least on a #3, and complete the Crushed to Dust challenge. I can pinch 49.5lb but am only at around 142lb on the Rolling Thunder. 😱

I am around 6'3", 245, 42 and do photography for a living right now. I have many side interests, and a New Year's resolution of mine is to lose some weight and gain some more strength. Glad to be a member of this board. Btw, looking for older GHP grippers to collect (as I'm sure some of you guys are). If anyone has any, I greatly appreciate you contacting me, thx!

Edited by degradated
  • Like 3

Hi, I’m Andy. 

I’ve been using grippers inconsistently since finding out about them when I got into Highland Games in 2017, probably reading about IronMind and the older throwers and strongmen. Where I have kind of lost interest and motivation for Highland Games and strongman, I’d really like to improve at grippers sports and bending. I closed my CoC #2 at one point a couple years ago, so the first thing I really want to accomplish is just getting that solidly again and making a plan from there. I also competed in a couple local Armlifting competitions, there is a good little community for it here. And I have a pile of bars I bought from the hardware store and cut with bolt cutters I’m going to try and work through as I can. 

I’m trying to get a couple days a week with grippers and bending along with my regular lifting, so if anybody had any advice or could point me to examples here of how to integrate those, I would appreciate it. 

• Like 2