NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hi everyone - Male in late twenties, from Finland, got into grip in summer of 2022 and steelbending around a year later.

Started out with basically zero background in anything fitness related. Climbed my way from barely being able to do a couple of closes with a CoC Trainer to closing a CoC #2 (No CCS unfortunately yet) around a month ago. In steelbending I recently got my technique to a point where I'm able to consistently bend a IM Blue Nail (DO). Also dabbling in DU and maybe Reverse someday, need to work on my wrist / joint and tendon strength first as I am very prone to injuries.

Found GripBoard through several outlets, finally decided to join because of my love for the sport.

My goals in grip and steelbending are... my first goal was to close a CoC #2 and I did it, but maybe a CCS CoC #2 would be the next logical choice. In steelbending I'd love to bend the Red Nail someday, but that's just because my friend offered me a family sized pizza free of charge if I ever bent one, and to be honest, free pizza is free pizza.

In regards of any competitions if I ever get into that level... I'm not really interested. Maybe some certs would be nice just to have a name on a wall, but honestly; I just want to grip stuff and bend things.

A random but relevant fact about me: I am a Type 1 Diabetic, which is a big reason why I started all this (plus cycling for cardio) so I could improve my physical health in order to improve my blood sugar levels.

• Like 4

Whats up, my name is Declan, im from ireland, i got into grip training through my interest in watching armwrestling, and when i discovered Slim the hammer man farman, a switch was flicked, ive started training seriously since august 2023, i have had a look on the gripboard on/off for about 3 months especially the equipment section as i like to make things for grip strength training for my own use, i have products from cannon powerworks and ironmind which are great, love training with sledges,  and currently training to lift the inch. and all the rest. glad to finally be a member on here, and have a tonne of respect for all the people on here who are grip training and accomplishing feats and pushing this sport further to the front line. i am not blessed with great grip genetics so i am trying to do my best  in this sport. big respect and shout out to jedd johnson who should have millions of subscribers by now, but oh well we are growing, so hopefully someday. nathan holle, dubyagrip, layne snooke, zach mullins, adam glass, tanner merkle, juji mufu,. if i forgot anyone sorry im a newbie. i look forward to being around other people who have the same interests in this sport as i do, and hopefully i can learn from the experienced people here on my journey and someday do the same and keep our sport alive and fulfilling. thanks.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Irish Grip said:

Whats up, my name is Declan, im from ireland, i got into grip training through my interest in watching armwrestling, and when i discovered Slim the hammer man farman, a switch was flicked, ive started training seriously since august 2023, i have had a look on the gripboard on/off for about 3 months especially the equipment section as i like to make things for grip strength training for my own use, i have products from cannon powerworks and ironmind which are great, love training with sledges,  and currently training to lift the inch. and all the rest. glad to finally be a member on here, and have a tonne of respect for all the people on here who are grip training and accomplishing feats and pushing this sport further to the front line. i am not blessed with great grip genetics so i am trying to do my best  in this sport. big respect and shout out to jedd johnson who should have millions of subscribers by now, but oh well we are growing, so hopefully someday. nathan holle, dubyagrip, layne snooke, zach mullins, adam glass, tanner merkle, juji mufu,. if i forgot anyone sorry im a newbie. i look forward to being around other people who have the same interests in this sport as i do, and hopefully i can learn from the experienced people here on my journey and someday do the same and keep our sport alive and fulfilling. thanks.

Welcome Declan! Sounds like your off to a good start and in the right place.

Slim is who got me into this sport also.  Good luck training for the inch.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Welcome Declan! Sounds like your off to a good start and in the right place.

Slim is who got me into this sport also.  Good luck training for the inch.

Thanks man, much appreciated.

• Like 1

Yo this noah im 16 from australia just tryna get big wrists it holdin me back in everythin I do! I do calisthetics rn, these are my two goals within my lifetimes

1. Reverse Planche Pushup

2. Weighted Dragon Squat (advanced-elite)

• Like 2

Hey. I'm Chris.  I'm new to the GripBoard but not new to the grip game.  I'm coming off a 13-year hiatus. Life and other hobbies got in the way.   I took up grip in 2010/11; specifically phonebook tearing, nail & horseshoe bending.  I was inspired by good friend, TJCombo67(southsideAT). His progress and successes in grip motivated me and I set out to cert the Red Nail.  Managed to bend it unofficially (youtube link) in 2011 but I lost steam and never regained the confidence to arrange an official attempt.  Fast forward to now...

I got to a point where I needed something else; a new goal or more dedicated endeavor...something.  Going through my garage, I uncovered my old stock of unbent bars and grippers.  Feeling the need to finish what I started.  The Red Nail and COC 3 are back on my radar.  A lot has changed in the grip game; new faces, new names, new resources but I'm happy to find what community remains here on the GripBoard.

I'm one month into a gripper program I threw together based on mixed resources.  I'm also working to get my body back into unbraced bending condition.  I'll be posting my workouts in the training forum.  Feel free to provide feedback.

Thanks

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, cmmoore628 said:

I'm one month into a gripper program I threw together based on mixed resources.  I'm also working to get my body back into unbraced bending condition

Stoked to have you! I’m also working on grippers and bending—good luck! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gabriel Tallent said:

Stoked to have you! I’m also working on grippers and bending—good luck! 

Thanks man. Same to you. 

Hi everyone

New to the GB. Been doing grip since summer of 2021 and loved it!

Before I was into the typical “bodybuilding” lifting  if you want to call it that lol. Really just to be fit and look good. Then i ventured into strongman which I love and have been doing that ever since. Same with steel bending.

so I enjoy doing all three, grip, strongman, and steel bending.

also enjoy playing guitar.

Where’s my fellow musicians who love grip on here? Lol

Shoot me an add on instagram 

Wolf_of_Kurdistan

Thanks and take care!

• Like 3

I'm Jake, I've read stuff on here randomly for a while now, but I never comment. I closed the 2.5 right handed for the first time almost a year ago, and still haven't close it left handed. I have been grinding away at the #3 (145 rgc) ever since, and have come super close (5 mms), but no cigar. I'm about that close left handed on the #2.5. What's held me back is 2 injuries, one tendon related from overtraining, and one knuckle injury at work. Also, I'm cutting right now and down about 15 pounds. Anyway, just posting this for posterity in case I'm ready for the #3 certification at the end of the year. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jake P said:

I'm Jake, I've read stuff on here randomly for a while now, but I never comment. I closed the 2.5 right handed for the first time almost a year ago, and still haven't close it left handed. I have been grinding away at the #3 (145 rgc) ever since, and have come super close (5 mms), but no cigar. I'm about that close left handed on the #2.5. What's held me back is 2 injuries, one tendon related from overtraining, and one knuckle injury at work. Also, I'm cutting right now and down about 15 pounds. Anyway, just posting this for posterity in case I'm ready for the #3 certification at the end of the year. 

Good luck to ya, Jake. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone my names Thane and I am in my late 20s. Been into grip training especially grippers for at least 13months now. Could only close a HG 150 when I bought a set of counterfeit heavy grips. Immediately fell in love with the sport. Now I can CCS a 105lb CoC 2 and deep-set close my CoC 2.5 rated 127lb As of this post. After finding cannons website I just had to get rated grippers of high quality and am hoping to one day get certified on the Captains of Crush 3!

Edited by ThaneNZ
  • Like 5

Hello everyone, figured I would introduce myself. I'm completely new to gripsport, I have armwrestled off and on since I was 17, so almost 20years in that sport (although my periods of actually training varied.)

I've always been interested in grippers and would occasionally try a COC when someone would have one at an armwrestling practice. I have always been able to close a #2 I would say 50-60% of the time(only ever tried at the end of practices.) 

I never trained that as the trainings didn't mix well with practice for me due to my style of pulling. Made my elbow flair too much. 

I haven't been armwrstling competitively in awhile, so I am now focused on grippers for the first time ever and have a gripper bug I suppose. Went to owning none to having around 15 now. Cannon has rated all of them I have rated so far. 

I personally know a few people on here. Jason Otto, Gary, James, ect.... I've armwrestled with all of those fine gents before and trained under James for quite a few years off and on. 

Anyways, road to that #3 cert. 

• Like 7

Hello guys,
My name is Jussi and I am from Finland. Im 37 years old, 191cm and 120kg strawberry farmer from east part of Finland who loves jig fishing and driving snowmobile in winter.
I have crossfit background which I do and compete 2010-2019 and its cool to find again that sparkle to compete again.
Im guite new in gripsport, last march (2023) when i was sick i had too much time to watch youtube. Some kind of gripvideo came in screen and i look at it "that's is interesting sport", then i just watch every gripvideo what i found😅
April i contact with Harri Tolonen and asked can i come visit he's gym and can he show proper liftting technique and allroud tell gripsport.
I really like this community, there is so helpfull people who like to share knowledge for new guy.
Couple months before KKG i start to training more consistency, but end of october i decide to focus more gripsport and contact coach Jedd.
Starting work with Jedd nowember and we have hit decent numbers since then, really looking forward what we can reach in this year. Biggest weakness is all kind of vertical lift and need to fix that problem in future.
Some of best result so far:
Apollos axle 190kg, shy lockout 195kg
Rolling Thunder LH 102.5kg, RH 101.25kg
Saxonbar 115kg
IM Block 45.45kg
Flask 4 hand challange 200.1kg
Hub 35.5kg
LBH 90kg
Inch DB lift both hand
Finnishball 43kg
Silver Bullet no.4, RH 32.11sec, LH 15sec (not rated)
RH CCS no.3 (rgc 151)
RH CCS Standard Cobalt (rgc 161)
RH MMS 2rep no.3.5 (rgc 172)
LH MMS Standard Cobalt (rgc 161)
TNS no.2.5 with both hand

Really looking forward to read and learn more about gripsport in here.

Edited by Jusmu
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Jusmu said:

Hello guys,
My name is Jussi and I am from Finland. Im 37 years old, 191cm and 120kg strawberry farmer from east part of Finland who loves jig fishing and driving snowmobile in winter.
I have crossfit background which I do and compete 2010-2019 and its cool to find again that sparkle to compete again.
Im guite new in gripsport, last march (2023) when i was sick i had too much time to watch youtube. Some kind of gripvideo came in screen and i look at it "that's is interesting sport", then i just watch every gripvideo what i found😅
April i contact with Harri Tolonen and asked can i come visit he's gym and can he show proper liftting technique and allroud tell gripsport.
I really like this community, there is so helpfull people who like to share knowledge for new guy.
Couple months before KKG i start to training more consistency, but end of october i decide to focus more gripsport and contact coach Jedd.
Starting work with Jedd nowember and we have hit decent numbers since then, really looking forward what we can reach in this year. Biggest weakness is all kind of vertical lift and need to fix that problem in future.
Some of best result so far:
Apollos axle 190kg, shy lockout 195kg
Rolling Thunder LH 102.5kg, RH 101.25kg
Saxonbar 115kg
IM Block 45.45kg
Flask 4 hand challange 200.1kg
Hub 35.5kg
LBH 90kg
Inch DB lift both hand
Finnishball 43kg
Silver Bullet no.4, RH 32.11sec, LH 15sec (not rated)
RH CCS no.3 (rgc 151)
RH CCS Standard Cobalt (rgc 161)
RH MMS 2rep no.3.5 (rgc 172)
LH MMS Standard Cobalt (rgc 161)
TNS no.2.5 with both hand

Really looking forward to read and learn more about gripsport in here.

161 cobalt CCS, you're ready to certify the 3 I would say, very good numbers for just starting

8 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

161 cobalt CCS, you're ready to certify the 3 I would say, very good numbers for just starting

I have planning certify #3 before summer, just need a bit more time to be sure i can hit it if they send hard #3.

• Like 1

Hi, my name is Kurt as you may have gathered. I live in Winnipeg and have been doing grip stuff since a year or two ago I saw Brian Shaw do a video with the Inch. I live in Winnipeg and will be 54 this spring.

I just use CoC-type grippers, as well as working out with axle dumbbells. Lately I've also been pinching hex dumbbells. Don't have any great goals, just build up the ability to show off, I suppose.

Edited by kurtwpg
spelling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, kurtwpg said:

Hi, my name is Kurt as you may have gathered. I live in Winnipeg and have been doing grip stuff since a year or two ago I saw Brian Shaw do a video with the Inch. I live in Winnipeg and will be 54 this spring.

I just use CoC-type grippers, as well as working out with axle dumbbells. Lately I've also been pinching hex dumbbells. Don't have any great goals, just build up the ability to show off, I suppose.

Welcome Kurt. Nothing wrong with just wanting a stronger grip in general. You don’t need much. I recommend David Hornes beginner routine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kurtwpg said:

Welcome, Kurt!  Sounds like we have some things in common.

I got hooked on blobs after watching Brian Shaw's first "grip gauntlet" video (in his old garage gym) and like a million of @Jedd Johnson's videos..

And I started a bit later than most (I'll be 54 this fall) but already working up to doing some fun stuff (to show off...hahaha).

Wishing you well on your grip journey!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

I got hooked on blobs after watching Brian Shaw's first "grip gauntlet" video (in his old garage gym) and like a million of @Jedd Johnson's videos..

And I started a bit later than most (I'll be 54 this fall) but already working up to doing some fun stuff (to show off...hahaha).

I never heard of Jedd until I bought my first CoC. Won't mention the vendor until someone tells me it's not against the rules, but he mentioned Jedd by name and I looked him up on Youtube. He really engages well with his page, my claim to fame is asking the "Could Shaq lift the Inch" question. Also if I want to know almost anything Jedd has posted a video about it at some point.

As for showing off, it's funny watching YouTube videos about CoC. It's an item that's extremely self-selecting so people involved with it usually seem to have a MASSIVE overestimation of what the "average" adult can do. You show 100 healthy adult males the proper way to set a Trainer, I'm pretty sure you don't get 50 closes. I pass mine around a lot. intermediate level gym guys (all benching upward of 2 plates) have gone 1 for 4 for the #1. Actually I don't really know the guy who closed it, he's the only one I can't be sure benches two plates. I have been trying to get some of my friends into it, as one does.

• Like 3

On 2/29/2024 at 5:23 PM, Douglas Carney said:

Damn this is a small community. I was watching your "Seek And Destroy" video on Youtube the other day before I really started posting here, then I got distracted with weights and stuff and forgot I wasnt just listening to the mp3. You start bouncing back and forth between Youtube and this message board and the names all start ringing a bell.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kurtwpg said:

Damn this is a small community. I was watching your "Seek And Destroy" video on Youtube the other day before I really started posting here, then I got distracted with weights and stuff and forgot I wasnt just listening to the mp3. You start bouncing back and forth between Youtube and this message board and the names all start ringing a bell.

Yeah...I was wondering if you were the same Kurt that posted on YouTube about ordering a Standard Gold Gripper from @Cannon.  Small world, man.  Nice to meet you (again)...

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 1

What’s up, I’m Alex Guiha. I’ve been generally hip to the GripBoard for like a year, since this is where Don Cummings was posting the info for Michigan Steel Bending contest, but finally got around to actually making an account!!!

I’m super obsessed with steel bending and run high level worldwide contests like King of Cold Rolled Steel and the currently ongoing ACE of O-1. ACE is huge, with 21 competitors and I’m currently in fifth place with about six weeks to go (also it’s sanctioned by GSI which is pretty cool). I also run the Feats of Steel challenge bars, currently on the Da Vinci Batch, that are earned based on contest performance so it’s all tied together like a hardcore steel bending ecosystem. 

My best bends are not O-1 lol. But I have done a 7” Horrido 10.9 cert, 8” BSC Ogopogo cert, KOAB under cert conditions, TSAR under cert conditions, Horrido 8.8 in IMP singles, Red Nail in a single IMP.

I also love grip, especially feats like Inch dumbbells and blobs - I can often lift the full weight Inch and sometimes lift a fatman blob. I’m also getting more into grippers and my best are CCS a 140rgc 3 and MMS a 152rgc Tetting T6 (GM) and MMS the unrated MM1 cert gripper. 

I do a lot of the Instagram grip contests and challenges but haven’t done many in person contests mostly due to scheduling (2 kids under 3) rather than lack of interest. Someday I’ll probably be a regular on the scene!!!

Edited by featsofalex
  • Like 10

Hi everyone!

I enrolled as a contributor last week, but have been lurking a while now. I’m 37 and have gotten into grip around Christmas (although I had been interested for the better part of a year after listening to British boulderer Dan Varian talk about wrist training and lifting the Inch on podcasts). Having a solid training background in bouldering myself, my hands were not the weakest starting out. A bit short of 3 months in I can TNS a CoC #2.5 both hands, CCS a 147lbs #3 on a good day and MMS same #3. Currently I’m working towards TNS that #3 and MMS a 161lbs #3. 
Also I’m quite tall and kind of good with wide pinches, which allowed me to lift a Fatman, next gen 100 and blob 50 (still grateful that I even had the chance to do so). Best blob feat was a double lift of next gen 100 and blob 50. Hoping to also lift the Inch soon. 

Looking forward to contributing here (and geeking out on grippers)! My display name here is also my Instagram handle, which is where I keep my training log. 

Cheers from Germany

Daniel

Edited by d_blocmann
  • Like 2