NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

James Fuller, new here am 43 y.o. Compete in Strongman, Olympic Lifting, Powerlifting, All-Round Lifting(USAWA). Do many older kinds of grip training Hub Lifting, Nail Bending, Sledge Hammers, Pinch Gripping. Made a few of my own pieces. Pretty much into anything about getting stronger. Have a Facebook page called Strongman Archaeology. We talk about the older style of training mostly Pre WW II.

Few vids of stuff I do. Hope to talk training....always enjoy talking training and ideas.

Edited by James Fuller
  • Like 2

Hello, my name is Colin, I'm 34, 6'1", 235lbs and have been lurking around this forum for the past year. I started training as a bodybuilder at 13, switched to powerlifting at 21, then messed up my shoulders and back at 28 and had a few years of rehab followed by sloth. I started training again two years ago, with a focus on mobility. My body has responded very well to Olympic weightlifting, which led to...another injury. I caught a snatch wrong last year, cracked my left wrist, and the following rehabilitation led to yet another obsession in the iron world: grip. I have various pinch implements, a hub, CoC t-2, RT, an axle and several thicknesses of wrist rollers. I am currently reading through this forum to find the best ways to program grip training along with weightlifting.

James Fuller, new here am 43 y.o. Compete in Strongman, Olympic Lifting, Powerlifting, All-Round Lifting(USAWA). Do many older kinds of grip training Hub Lifting, Nail Bending, Sledge Hammers, Pinch Gripping. Made a few of my own pieces. Pretty much into anything about getting stronger. Have a Facebook page called Strongman Archaeology. We talk about the older style of training mostly Pre WW II.

Few vids of stuff I do. Hope to talk training....always enjoy talking training and ideas.

Hello, my name is Colin, I'm 34, 6'1", 235lbs and have been lurking around this forum for the past year. I started training as a bodybuilder at 13, switched to powerlifting at 21, then messed up my shoulders and back at 28 and had a few years of rehab followed by sloth. I started training again two years ago, with a focus on mobility. My body has responded very well to Olympic weightlifting, which led to...another injury. I caught a snatch wrong last year, cracked my left wrist, and the following rehabilitation led to yet another obsession in the iron world: grip. I have various pinch implements, a hub, CoC t-2, RT, an axle and several thicknesses of wrist rollers. I am currently reading through this forum to find the best ways to program grip training along with weightlifting.

Welcome guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my name is Josh. I'm 25 and live in Maine. I have always been interested in strength training. Currently I am focusing on closing CoC #3 and bending the red nail. I have awhile to go: my pr for grippers is a cut CoC #2.5 and my current pr for bending is 1/4 X 5.5 grade 5 bolt. As I said in an earlier post in the bending forum I work in a children's residential facility and am using feats of grip strength to inspire the kids to work hard for a goal and teach them positive and healthy coping mechanisms. I look forward to learning as much as possible from the many incredible athletes on this board.

Josh

• Like 2

Hello my name is Josh. I'm 25 and live in Maine. I have always been interested in strength training. Currently I am focusing on closing CoC #3 and bending the red nail. I have awhile to go: my pr for grippers is a cut CoC #2.5 and my current pr for bending is 1/4 X 5.5 grade 5 bolt. As I said in an earlier post in the bending forum I work in a children's residential facility and am using feats of grip strength to inspire the kids to work hard for a goal and teach them positive and healthy coping mechanisms. I look forward to learning as much as possible from the many incredible athletes on this board.

Josh

Welcome Josh!

My name is Devin and this is not my first rodeo. :chris: My stats: 35 years old, 6-2, 215 lbs.

Nine years ago I certified bending the Red Nail which put me at the #20 spot on the roster. Shortly after that, I quit bending because I thought I might be getting nerve damage in my hands. I thought this because I started to lose some sensation in my finger tips. It took some time, but my nerves eventually healed. Since next year it will have been 10 years since my Red Nail cert, I thought it would be nice to mark the occasion by certifying with the CoC #3. This may be a bit of a challenge for me since I took off a couple of years of working out while I worked on my master's degree. Nevertheless, I now have the time and determination to do it.

I have been watching the Red Nail Roster rapidly grow for the last 10 years. This makes me happy because it is a testament that more and more people are learning about how great the grip sport is! I am looking forward to the interesting conversations and post.

• Like 3

Josh

I'm in Maine as well.

Welcome to the board, Devin! Good to see that you're going to add the #3 cert to your list of accomplishments too.

What is your current CCS best close? Just curious how far away you are to certifying. With the number of grippers that are rated (Cannon Power Works springs to mind) these days, you could have a nice smooth progression from the high 130lb range (which is the very low range of #3s - to the low 150lb range (which is where most #3s will terminate).

Hello my name is Josh. I'm 25 and live in Maine. I have always been interested in strength training. Currently I am focusing on closing CoC #3 and bending the red nail. I have awhile to go: my pr for grippers is a cut CoC #2.5 and my current pr for bending is 1/4 X 5.5 grade 5 bolt. As I said in an earlier post in the bending forum I work in a children's residential facility and am using feats of grip strength to inspire the kids to work hard for a goal and teach them positive and healthy coping mechanisms. I look forward to learning as much as possible from the many incredible athletes on this board.Josh

I'm in Maine as well.
Nice to meet another Mainer on the board. What area are you from? Edited by GrassMaine89

Hi Bencrush, thank you for your advice.

I currently can do a no set close with the #2, but my next gripper up is the #3. As far a training goes, I start out with some negatives on the #3.5 and then do some reps with the #2. I also just got a wrist roller and have been incorporating that into my grip workout. I do need some intermediate grippers to work up to the number #3, so I will look into the Cannon Power Works.

My name is Devin and this is not my first rodeo. :chris: My stats: 35 years old, 6-2, 215 lbs.

Nine years ago I certified bending the Red Nail which put me at the #20 spot on the roster. Shortly after that, I quit bending because I thought I might be getting nerve damage in my hands. I thought this because I started to lose some sensation in my finger tips. It took some time, but my nerves eventually healed. Since next year it will have been 10 years since my Red Nail cert, I thought it would be nice to mark the occasion by certifying with the CoC #3. This may be a bit of a challenge for me since I took off a couple of years of working out while I worked on my master's degree. Nevertheless, I now have the time and determination to do it.

I have been watching the Red Nail Roster rapidly grow for the last 10 years. This makes me happy because it is a testament that more and more people are learning about how great the grip sport is! I am looking forward to the interesting conversations and post.

Welcome!

Hello everyone. My name is Mike, 48...6'2" about 190lbs. I'm here, probably like most ,out of curiosity. I started out in the electrical field, so I probably have stronger than average hands. However, I developed tennis elbow about 2 years ago, thus forcing me to not use my right hand and arm for anything more strenuous than brushing my teeth.

As of late, I have been struggling to get some hand strength back. After doing some homework and surfing/lurking on forums, I decided it was time. My problem was, like most, where do you start? So I bought a hand dyno AND a set of heavy grips (100,150, 200) because they were cheap too ,like the dyno.

Well just my luck, The heavy grips showed up first. The 100 and 150 are very easy. The 200 I can close fairly easy and hold it shut for pretty much as long as I want The Camry hand dyno finally showed up. On a good day, I can squeeze about 170-180lbs. Average around 165-175. I have a little arthritis in my hands now, so mornings are brutal. Afternoons and late evenings are decent.

NOW, my reason for being here is this. I was curious if anyone has used a hand dyno and compared it to an actual decent gripper (CoC). I JUST purchased a #2.5 and #3, THINKING they are my natural progression. Would love to make my way to bowling ball crushing power...

I know Kody Burns used to DL electrical... Ill have him check this thread and pass you some knowledge. He's told me he used to struggle with elbow problems, as have I.

Hello everyone. My name is Mike, 48...6'2" about 190lbs. I'm here, probably like most ,out of curiosity. I started out in the electrical field, so I probably have stronger than average hands. However, I developed tennis elbow about 2 years ago, thus forcing me to not use my right hand and arm for anything more strenuous than brushing my teeth.

As of late, I have been struggling to get some hand strength back. After doing some homework and surfing/lurking on forums, I decided it was time. My problem was, like most, where do you start? So I bought a hand dyno AND a set of heavy grips (100,150, 200) because they were cheap too ,like the dyno.

Well just my luck, The heavy grips showed up first. The 100 and 150 are very easy. The 200 I can close fairly easy and hold it shut for pretty much as long as I want The Camry hand dyno finally showed up. On a good day, I can squeeze about 170-180lbs. Average around 165-175. I have a little arthritis in my hands now, so mornings are brutal. Afternoons and late evenings are decent.

NOW, my reason for being here is this. I was curious if anyone has used a hand dyno and compared it to an actual decent gripper (CoC). I JUST purchased a #2.5 and #3, THINKING they are my natural progression. Would love to make my way to bowling ball crushing power...

Welcome Mike!

Hello Everyone, my name is Fernando, I am 19years old 6ft tall and 200lb of solid muscle(that was sarcasm), I just recenlty got introduced to grippers and have become addicted. My ultimate goal is to close the #4 gripper, right now Im aiming to become the 6th person to close the #3 while still a teenager for the Ironmind Marunde Fund. Hopefully I can contribute to board whith my journey, July 24 2014 was my first gripper workout with a HG150. My goal is to close the #3 by the end of the year and start climbing the mash monsters board in 2015. So far I have made huge leaps and I dont plan to stop.

Hello Everyone, my name is Fernando, I am 19years old 6ft tall and 200lb of solid muscle(that was sarcasm), I just recenlty got introduced to grippers and have become addicted. My ultimate goal is to close the #4 gripper, right now Im aiming to become the 6th person to close the #3 while still a teenager for the Ironmind Marunde Fund. Hopefully I can contribute to board whith my journey, July 24 2014 was my first gripper workout with a HG150. My goal is to close the #3 by the end of the year and start climbing the mash monsters board in 2015. So far I have made huge leaps and I dont plan to stop.

Welcome!

• 4 weeks later...

PLEASE introduce yourself and tell us about what your doing in terms of grip training, what your interests are in terms of grip strength, and what you want to get out of this forum. You can also include other information that might be revelant, such as height, weight, age, etc.

Hey guys! My name is Roy Golden (full name is actually William Roy Golden but I go by Roy). I am 22 years old and I am currently a senior at Northeastern State University in Tahelquah, OK. I have been a grip enthusiast, practicing Judo and Aikido for about 8 years now. I am 6'3" and weight around 210 lbs also my hand size is right around 8" (I'm right handed). My main interest and focus is working on the CoC grippers. I own the T, #1, #1.5, #2, #2.5 and #3. I currently live in the dorms so while I'm away from my parent's house my access to grip equipment is limited to plates in the on-campus gym and whatever other gadgets/trinkets (gym chalk, 2 cinder block halves, two 1' long and 2" diameter pvc pipes, and the Twist Yo' Wrist roller) I keep in my room.

My goals are to close and certify on the #3, pinch 2 45lbs plates, dead lift twice my body weight, lift 175lbs on a dumbbell with Fat Gripz Extreme attached and hub pinch a 45 pound plate with my off hand. I am currently within a half inch or so of closing the #3 with my main hand (right hand). I have not tried pinching 45s in a long time but I doubt I have made any progress in that. Today is actually my first day of starting an official training regime so I'm pretty excited. I will be working out every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:00pm-9:00pm. My main focus is getting my dead lift up and I will be using a rest-pause technique of lifting. I will have other exercises and of course finish with a grip routine. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated especially with things to do for grip at the end of my workout.

Accomplishtments:

Grippers: CCS the CoC #2.5 for 2 reps, and within a half inch (well passed parallel) of closing the CoC #3.

Plate Pinching: One hand pinch two 35lbs plates, and one hand pinch five 10lbs plates.

Hub/Claw Lifts: I can Hub pinch a 45lbs plate with my MH (main hand), one handed 40 Hex dumbbell lift.

Thick Bar Lifts: I have lifted a dumbbell with Fat Gripz Extreme from the ground weighing 110lbs.

Thanks for the opportunity to join the GripBoard guys and I look forward to learning from you!

PLEASE introduce yourself and tell us about what your doing in terms of grip training, what your interests are in terms of grip strength, and what you want to get out of this forum. You can also include other information that might be revelant, such as height, weight, age, etc.

Hey guys! My name is Roy Golden (full name is actually William Roy Golden but I go by Roy). I am 22 years old and I am currently a senior at Northeastern State University in Tahelquah, OK. I have been a grip enthusiast, practicing Judo and Aikido for about 8 years now. I am 6'3" and weight around 210 lbs also my hand size is right around 8" (I'm right handed). My main interest and focus is working on the CoC grippers. I own the T, #1, #1.5, #2, #2.5 and #3. I currently live in the dorms so while I'm away from my parent's house my access to grip equipment is limited to plates in the on-campus gym and whatever other gadgets/trinkets (gym chalk, 2 cinder block halves, two 1' long and 2" diameter pvc pipes, and the Twist Yo' Wrist roller) I keep in my room.

My goals are to close and certify on the #3, pinch 2 45lbs plates, dead lift twice my body weight, lift 175lbs on a dumbbell with Fat Gripz Extreme attached and hub pinch a 45 pound plate with my off hand. I am currently within a half inch or so of closing the #3 with my main hand (right hand). I have not tried pinching 45s in a long time but I doubt I have made any progress in that. Today is actually my first day of starting an official training regime so I'm pretty excited. I will be working out every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:00pm-9:00pm. My main focus is getting my dead lift up and I will be using a rest-pause technique of lifting. I will have other exercises and of course finish with a grip routine. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated especially with things to do for grip at the end of my workout.

Accomplishtments:

Grippers: CCS the CoC #2.5 for 2 reps, and within a half inch (well passed parallel) of closing the CoC #3.

Plate Pinching: One hand pinch two 35lbs plates, and one hand pinch five 10lbs plates.

Hub/Claw Lifts: I can Hub pinch a 45lbs plate with my MH (main hand), one handed 40 Hex dumbbell lift.

Thick Bar Lifts: I have lifted a dumbbell with Fat Gripz Extreme from the ground weighing 110lbs.

Thanks for the opportunity to join the GripBoard guys and I look forward to learning from you!

Welcome!

Stewart Whaley, 41 y/o 5'11 215. Looking to improve all aspects of grip/hand/finger strength, but have never really trained for it specifically. I have spent a bit of time training gymnastic straight-arm strength with rings and levers, double and single arm bar hangs (bodyweight and belt-weighted) so I appreciate the tendon/connective tissue issues involved. I am not accomplished at grip strength. Compared to my white-collar desk-jockey workout friends I am "strong" at grip/pulling movements, but I bet average (at best) compared to folks that work with their hands regularly (masons, electricians ,etc.). I am into obstacle course racing and improved grip would be great.

At my max I was climbing a 20 foot rope, slowly, hands-only (cirques) for 3 contiguous reps on a 1.5 inch rope, but that was 5 years ago. I am looking to integrate grip training in my regular work and really focus on it after my Spartan Beast obstacle race 11/1/2014. Currently doing a lot of running and HIIT. I want to focus on strength after that, especially "crush you soul" grip strength because of the carryover to other activities and movements (deads, wall climbs, rings, can crushing, etc). Hope to learn a lot from experience grip athletes here. Thanks, Stew

Stewart Whaley, 41 y/o 5'11 215. Looking to improve all aspects of grip/hand/finger strength, but have never really trained for it specifically. I have spent a bit of time training gymnastic straight-arm strength with rings and levers, double and single arm bar hangs (bodyweight and belt-weighted) so I appreciate the tendon/connective tissue issues involved. I am not accomplished at grip strength. Compared to my white-collar desk-jockey workout friends I am "strong" at grip/pulling movements, but I bet average (at best) compared to folks that work with their hands regularly (masons, electricians ,etc.). I am into obstacle course racing and improved grip would be great.

At my max I was climbing a 20 foot rope, slowly, hands-only (cirques) for 3 contiguous reps on a 1.5 inch rope, but that was 5 years ago. I am looking to integrate grip training in my regular work and really focus on it after my Spartan Beast obstacle race 11/1/2014. Currently doing a lot of running and HIIT. I want to focus on strength after that, especially "crush you soul" grip strength because of the carryover to other activities and movements (deads, wall climbs, rings, can crushing, etc). Hope to learn a lot from experience grip athletes here. Thanks, Stew

Welcome!

Hey guys, completely new to the board/haven't posted. I've had fun working on my grip off and on for a couple years, but would like to really work on it now. I have numerous grippers from various manufaturers (CoC 1-2.5, Zenith 2-3, GHP 5, IMTUG, etc). I was hoping someone could explain to me why I can rep the Zenith #3 (rated at 125) and can barely close a CoC #2 (rated at 110)? Looking forward to digging into the board!

Hey guys! So I've been doing gymnastics/calisthenics for almost 4 years now, but I want to diversify my training because it's kind of gotten boring. My goals are listed in my signature. Here's a short video of some my accomplishments: