Malice's Grip Training Ver. 2.0

Malice

Awesome news Malice! I just got a power rack and absolutely love working out at home. It's got a pull up bar as well, so I'm good to go on all of the important compound exercises with a single piece of equipment.

No grip work today, rest day. I did manage to get my wife to squeeze the trainer though. Last year she closed the sport, trainer and got close on the 1 without even knowing how to set them. She got frustrated when she couldn't figure the set out when I showed her and refused to touch them again. Today she was by the grip pit so I handed her the trainer and she closed it, held it and said is this good?

If I can coax her into playing with grip a bit I think she has the potential to do really well cuz she's 5'10" with big ass mitts and can smash trainers without even knowing what she's doing.

3/18/11

Grippers

2.5(MMS)-reps

1x10

1x6

3x5

My first set I got 10 parallel reps per hand but the second set I got 10 righty and only 6 lefty. Since the overall goal is to equalize strength in each hand I decided to do lefty first and just match the reps righty instead of going all out. I was only resting 2 mins. between sets so that's prolly why lefty strength dropped off so quickly.

I'm pretty happy being able to double the reps over last week on the first set.

3/21/11

Grippers

MM1 replica(MMS)-9x1-killed it righty, had a couple where I possibly tickled the handles lefty.

I stopped at 9 singles cuz on Friday while cutting the callous off my right pinky I went too deep and it's been super tender since. I was actually surprised I was able to do righty at all because of it. I was thinking this week would be using the #2 and working 2 finger closes.

I might grease the groove tonight on RT when I get home from work. If so I'll put it here but it all depends how I feel.

3/22/11

Grippers

#3(MMS)-3x1-it's colder in my area at work tonight which makes it hard to keep my hands warm so I decided to stop after 3 singles. My hands and forearms are getting achy from the cold so I'll give myself an extra rest day rather than push through it and risk injury. The 3 singles I did were strong though which is nice cuz it's proof that my strength is still coming back nicely. I'm not yet where I was but getting noticably closer on EVERY workout.

3/22/11

Grippers

#3(MMS)-3x1-it's colder in my area at work tonight which makes it hard to keep my hands warm so I decided to stop after 3 singles. My hands and forearms are getting achy from the cold so I'll give myself an extra rest day rather than push through it and risk injury. The 3 singles I did were strong though which is nice cuz it's proof that my strength is still coming back nicely. I'm not yet where I was but getting noticably closer on EVERY workout.

Awesome! Dude, progress is progress! I've had enough droughts in my training that any progress is welcome. Good to hear you're moving in the right direction!

Today is a rest day but RT was sitting in the corner mocking me for ignoring it for about 4 months so I decided to test myself. Back before I had to stop training due to injuries I maxed at just over 178 lbs and got 150x16. Today I barely squeeked out a shitty 162.8 lbs. with each hand. Needless to say I'm thoroughly PISSED OFF!!!!! I expected to be weaker after 4 months off but this is rediculous.

I tried some 2hp on my slick as ice wooden block and was pissed too. Not that my 2hp has ever been good anyway. At the October leg of WSH I pulled my best of 155 lbs. and on my wooden block have only pulled a best of 125 lbs. I really want to improve on 2hp more than anything cuz a guy my size should be able to pull a man size amount of weight on this. Unfortunately after doing 2hp last time is when the tendonitis in my left forearm made itself known and it was always after 2hp that it got more intense. Today I couldn't even budge 125 and barely got 100 so this has obviously gone way down too. I think I'll make a different 2hp trainer to see if it's less slick and hopefully be able to improve it without killing my forearm again. If anyone has any good pinch routines please let me know :help I also have a TTK that I've never really used so I think I'll start using that a couple times a week as well for my girly thumbs.

Going to take the rest of the week and weekend off grippers in hopes the pinkie will heal. Plus I got a hell of a hand workout wrenching on my bro-in-laws beat down POS Toyota today. I'll hit some RT tonight or tomorrow though.

3/26/11

Just got home from a buddy's house where we did a bunch of grip stuff. Did triples on A-axle up to 265 lbs. but my form started feeling off so didn't go higher. I did several pulls at 265 and wasn't feeling it in my grip at all so that's pretty cool. Then we did some FBBC hub lifts and I managed 55 lbs. for a couple singles. Then I saw the 2" FBBC vbar sitting in the corner and decided to try is since I've never done vbar before. I managed 230 lbs. and it went up easily but 240 only came up an inch or so. At that point my hands were pretty smoked but I'm happy with 230 on my first try. I'll have to research it to figure out if I had a decent grip on the bar and if it's even a decent weight or not. I plan on continuing vbar when I go to his house on weekends cuz it was pretty fun.

I just ordered my GripTopz set from DH so I can start training for WSH. I did no specific training last year and pulled as much as a 10 year old girl on everything but grippers. Maybe this year, with some event specific training I can get up to a 10 year old boys strength :shifty

I also just picked up some thin sheet metal to wrap around my wooden 2hp training block. I'm hoping I can season it so it will no longer be like pulling on a piece of ice. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't kill my left forearm again so I can keep training it cuz my pinch SUX!!

3/28/11

RT

Greased the groove with 122.5 lbs. before work. Don't know how many singles but less than 10 for sure.

Grippers

MM1 replica (MMS)-5x1-getting closer lefty and setting with my right hand is getting more consistent.

3/29/11

Maxed on my IM Hub and got 44.5 lbs. That's down from 47.5 before my hiatus but not to bad I guess.

RT

125-5x1

Grippers

2.5 (20mm block)-5x1-from now until WSH ends I'll be doing all deep set work with a 20mm block to get using the block to be second nature for the competition.

3/30/11

RT

125x5

Grippers

2.5(20mm block)-5x1

IM hub

32.5-10x1

I know all these numbers look low compared to what I would normally do but right now I'm greasing the groove using 80-85% of my max for several singles 5 days a week. I want to see how well it works for grip training.

3/30/11

RT

125x5

Grippers

2.5(20mm block)-5x1

IM hub

32.5-10x1

I know all these numbers look low compared to what I would normally do but right now I'm greasing the groove using 80-85% of my max for several singles 5 days a week. I want to see how well it works for grip training.

Good luck on greasing the groove, you'll have things back in no time :happy

4/1/11

Today was supposed to be a rest dat but someone saw my 2.5 sitting on my desk at work and asked how many reps I can do with it so I grabbed a 20mm block out of my desk and got 7 righty with a possible 8th and 6 solid lefty with a possible 7th rep. Mind you this was with no warm up or anything so I feel decent about it.

I'll have to get a vid of this so I can see for sure if the last rep will be closed or not. I'm going to see if I can increase by one rep a week.

That's nice Russ! How's your CCS righty now? And I saw you are selling your SW? Didn't get the results you hoped for?

That's nice Russ! How's your CCS righty now? And I saw you are selling your SW? Didn't get the results you hoped for?

CCS righty is still there but not as consistent as I'd like.

I got decent results with the SW when I used it but since all my gripper workouts are done at work I just don't use it. I don't feel like hauling it in and out so it just sits inthe corner collecting dust now.

4/2/11

Just got back from Dave's house and got a nice grip workout in. Started with some light benching to warm up and get the blood flowing a bit. Then did some 2" vbar, messed around a bit with trying to get a good vid with the 2.5 with 20mm block for reps but my hands were too tired from vbar. Then I tried to pinch a pair of old YORK 35's one handed and barely cleared the ground. Dave then stepped up and pretty much pulled them like they were filled with helium :yikes

I finally got a vid for the 2" vbar race to 3hundo thread. I managed 255 lbs. lefty. On this particular event I'm stronger lefty than I am righty for some reason. Dave got 175 lbs. (also lefty) so we're going to email these vids to FBBC and get on the cert list. It's a nice start for both of us considering it's only the 2nd time either of us have done vbar.

All in all a good day. Got a HUGE PR and walked away without any injuries or ouchies :mosher

Once again today was supposed to be a rest day but I ran across a thread about the FBBC bomb and decided to put an I bolt in an old softball and try a couple pulls with it. My hands felt real weak from yesterday so I only managed 114 lbs. righty and barely 105ish lefty. I really like the feel of the lift though so I think I'll add it once a week or so to hit the muscles differently. Back when I was competing in MMA and Muay Thai we used to do pullups from baseballs but the bigger softball seems to hit the forearms a bit different.

No grip today but I figured I'd post my gym debacle here. Pure Fitness was bought by LA Fitness about 6 months or so ago, right before I stopped taining for a while. Today I went back for the 2nd time since then and it was a graveyard...maybe 6 cars in the parking lot. I walked in and you could hear crickets it was so peaceful. I hand the guy at the desk my scan card and he says we don't use those any more. Asks my name and types it in the computer and...nothing. Asks my phone number and...nothing. Then he scans my card and says oh there you are. WTF?! You could've saved me 5 minutes just doing that from the start. Then he says I have to pay $10 for kids care for my daughter. I told him I paid over $180 for a year and a half of that up front. Of course he can't find any record of it and says he'll give me today for free but if we can't find proof he'll have to back charge me for the last year and 4 months at their current kids care prices which is more than Pure Fitness costs were. Again WTF?!?!

So I go to work out and the douchebag comes out 4 fricking times to interrupt my workout asking stupid ass questions about my account. The last time I was in the middle of a 20 rep set of squats when he starts asking me stuff and I just ignored him so I could concentrate on finishing, prompting him to ask the same question 2 more fricking times before I finish my fricking set! When I racked the weight I was ready to bust his chops but my old trainer was walking by so I told him "Get this douchebag away from me while I'm working out." The trainer just smirked and asked him a question relating to something up front I guess cuz he left with him.

I then proceed to bench to bang out a few light 5 rep sets of 225 lbs. after a warmup only to find that my left forearm is hurting again and can't safely do it, which spun me into a dimension of pissed off I've never been in. So I get my daughter and go to the trainer's cubicle to talk to him cuz I haven't seen him in a while and the douchebag comes over and says "Russ, we can't have her on the floor. She has to stay in the kids care area." I told him I'm not on the floor I'm in a cubicle by the front door and he says she can't be anywhere but the kids care area. I asked him how the fk am I supposed to get her in and out of the place then since the area he's now saying she can't be in is between the front door and kids care area? At this point I was ready to throttle this idiot. He's one of those tools who's early 20's, a buck twenty soaking wet, spiked hair with frosted tips and the worst fake tan in history...you know, typical LA Fitness front desk guy (when they can't find a hot chick to run the desk) except he's never touched a weight in his life.

So I go out to my car and find my contract showing my kids care and everything being paid up through the end of June even though I've decided today was my last visit to the place. (We are getting a power rack and plenty of weights for the house ASAP). The trainer walked to the car with me when I left and when I asked why he hasn't beat the crap out of that douchebag yet he said cuz he's the general manager of the place now. Suddenly, everything makes sense. I bet within 6 months the building will be empty with that kind of person running the place. I just hope I can get some good going out of business deals on equipment.

I was wrestling with my 4 year old daughter earlier today and managed to jam my right index finger pretty good. Now it's pretty tight and sore so I think I'll take a deload week...except for Saturday when I go hit the 2" vbar again :) The left forearm was sore again today anyway so a little break and re-evaluation of training will be good for my achy old bones.