Malice's Grip Training Ver. 2.0

Malice

That sort of things always happen at this kind of moments. I take that the person responsible has been shot? :laugh

If you can make the movements with lighter grippers I figure it's just something that has to heal up in a few days.

I wouldn't push it with bigger grippers for two days or so. But that's what you figured out I reckon.

Was curious what you would do with CC set. Let's see eh. Tried my #3 yesterday with little or less warming up CCS, and

I got it far beyond parallel (almost closed, but with eyes popping out I seem to have trouble in putting a ruller between the handles :laugh ), so tomorrow I'm going to do a lot of strapholds and my homemade gripmachine (see my gallery)

for some heavy closes from parallel and further. Than again, at least 4 or 5 days rest.

Good luck bro.

10/11/10

Took the #3 in to work tonight to do some CCS and PKS work. Since it's the week of WSH I wanted to keep the one gripper workout of the week fairly unstressful on my hands. I managed to kill it PKS but before the CCS attempts I was helping a guy in another department move a fairly heavy but extremely cumbersome part and the dumb ass dropped his end and it kinda twisted in my hands and I felt a pop on the backside of my right hand dead center in the middle. It didn't hurt or anything so I didn't think about it. However, when I tried the #3 CCS as soon as it got to about half way I got a super sharp pain in my hand where it popped. I gave it some rest and warmed my hand up real good and tried again and same thing, about half way it hurt real bad. Again, I let it rest about 45 minutes or so, warmed it up real good and again bad pain. When I got home I decided to lightly test it with a few things and with grippers #2 and below I have no pain but when I tried the #2.5 the pain was back. Tried RT up to 157 lbs. and no pain at all. IM hub up to 33 lbs. (my max) and no pain at all. I even tried my pinch block both 2 handed and single handed and no pain. I'm glad that there's no pain on the other exercises but it sucks that now, a month before cert day I hurt my stupid hand. Oh well, if I have to postpone it I will, no biggie. The rest of the week is going to be rest for the competition this weekend.

To bad Russ. Sound like you've got a partial ligament or tendon tear. 6 weeks+ minimum, could be 3 months before you see full strength back...I'd see a doc though and err on the side of caution.

Geralt, I'm pretty much able to close my #3 with CCS at will. It's only an extreme case anymore that I miss it. That's why I was using it last night, cuz I didn't want to do any grip work this week that was too strenuous due to the WSH contest this weekend.

Mike, thanks for the insight. I'll definitely get in to see the doc so I don't turn it into something major by over working it. I never would have thought it could be something like that but I need to know for sure now.

Sorry to hear that Malice. Like others have said and also from personal experience, I say resting is best right now. I know it's tempting to pick up grippers and see how your hand is doing for the next few days, but that's the worst thing you can do right now, as you might hurt yourself even more. I've been there, and I've been stupid enough to play with grippers to see if the pain is back. That's something I'll never do again!

I wish you the best with your recovery.

Wow, sorry to hear that Russ. Let's hope it's a strain and not a tear. Minimum recovery is 6 weeks, and they don't like to be stretched much while healing. Probably should see a hand doc. In the mean time reduce swelling. Sounds gimicky but you can try tendon/ligament specific vitamins and foods. They say it can help for a faster recovery.

Good luck brother. I hope for a fast healing so you can go back to crushing.

Wow, sorry to hear that Russ. Let's hope it's a strain and not a tear. Minimum recovery is 6 weeks, and they don't like to be stretched much while healing. Probably should see a hand doc. In the mean time reduce swelling. Sounds gimicky but you can try tendon/ligament specific vitamins and foods. They say it can help for a faster recovery.

Good luck brother. I hope for a fast healing so you can go back to crushing.

So far there's no swelling, pain or tightness at all. Still going to rest it though and see what the doc says.

I use a joint support supplement right now called Animal Flex. It's the best I've ever used and is the only reason I can squat and deadlift now after my 4th knee surgery. Hopefully it'll help with whatever I did to the hand.

That's good news.

I'll have to remember that Animal Flex. Sounds like it could be a climbers best friend too. I could have used it back when I was conditioning the tendons and pulleys in my hands.

I'll post my own results from WSH here now that David has posted them all on his site. I'm pretty happy that I managed to get 3rd place in Tucson. It was a fight cuz 2 other guys were right there with me. I pulled 160 lbs. on 2hp which is a 15 lb. PR and 20 more than I pulled at the last WSH and I have only trained it once. I got level 10 with the orange spring on the wrist developer which is not only a PR but 2 levels higher than the last WSH. I've also only trained this once. Next time I'll go for the gold spring. I expected to get better on the Vulcan gripper if my hand didn't hurt since I've made a lot of progreas on grippers but I actully did a lot better than expected. Last time I closed level 13 but missed lvl 14 by a mile. This time I killed lvl 15 and just missed lvl 16 by about 3/16". It was a great day for me with HUGE PR's on everything. Other than the scheduled events I also pulled 303 lbs. on the axle after the comp with smoked hands, nailed a double #45 hub lift easily, easily closed lvl 12 CCS on the Vulcan, missed closing Aaron's #2 with 2 fingers by a fat electron and tried Aaron's pinch-snatch bar of doom. That thing was awesome.

I carpooled there with Dave and his wife and after the comp we stopped at Aaron's house then went out for burgers where I saw 2 of the largest burgers on the planet. They were nine 1/3 pound patties (3 lbs. of meat) that stood close to a foot tall. They were a real life version of a Scooby Doo burger! These guys were attempting to eat them in a half hour. You can imagine the looks on their faces about 15 minutes into it :D

10/18/10

Grippers supersetted with band expansions and pony clamp

#3.5(PKS)left only-7x1-no closes but a little better than last time so I'm happy with it. After the 5th rep my hand started to fatigue quick so I stopped there. Felt good and strong though.

I was planning on working the IM hub but before work I did something to my lower back and it hurts so bad I can barely walk so I'll do it tomorrow cuz I like hub work too much to skip it this week :rolleyes

So that´ll be arm, hand and back for now :laugh Watch your body Russ! I´m also still fiddling around with my right arm and although

progressing with grip, my other training is not going upwards...

I really wish I could train 2hp without it killing my left forearm. I didn't even do much weight OR volume today and it's aching.

10/20/10

IM hub-greast the groove with 33 lbs.

2hp-75x3/85x3/100x3/110x2/120x1/120x1

Grippers

BBSE(choked to 3/4")-10x1-no closes but close

My left forearm was aggravated earlier by 2hp but right now feels ok. We'll see how it feels when I wake up. What I was using for 2hp is a wooden block I made up with a hook on the bottom to hook up to my loading pin. It was about 44mm which is way too narrow for me. I widened it up to 50mm and now need to cut the radius into it so it'll be closer to the actual 2hp shape. However, all this may be a waste of time if I can't train it without jacking up my damn forearm :angry:

I took my wooden pinch block in to work last night and cut out the radius and gave it a try today. This thing is slick and I was only able to get 140 lbs. My best on the euro device is 160 lbs. so I'm hoping this thing seasones up a bit. If not no biggie since as I pull more on this I'll also be able to pull more on the euro device. Any advice or tips on how to season a wooden block?

10/22/10

2hp

75x1

100x1

110x1

120x1

130x1

140x1

This was with my wooden block that's super slick. I hope it season's up a bit.

Grippers

MM1 replica(PKS)-10x1-3 full closes. Pretty good considering my forearm was sore and I haven't closed it lefty before.

10/23/10

Rolling Thunder

107x1

117x1

132x1

142x1

152x1

162x1

173x1(PR no chalk)

145x20 (PR reps)

I was supposed to do this last night after work but completely forgot about it for some reason. I managed a huge 11 lb. PR for no chalk but was smoked and couldn't get any more even with chalk. I didn't plan to do so many singles without chalk but just kept adding more and more weight. I typically pull 10 lbs. or so more with chalk so I think if I hadn't had so many pulls I could have hit another PR. Either way I managed the full 20 reps with an extra 3 lbs. over the last workout so it looks like I need to add ANOTHER 2.5 lbs. for the next workout.

I also took my 14 year old cousin a BBSM today since he's already repping the #2 I gave him for his birthday last weekend and I banged out 3 reps cold. I doubt it had any effect on my RT though. I'd definitely say that if I could only have a couple grip tools to work with that RT would be one to keep.

That's some nice work on the RT, Russ! Congrats on the PR. :rock

The doc says I strained a something or other in my right hand and I need to come back to see him in 4 weeks. I'm supposed to rest it until then. I guess this is a chance for my left to catch back up so long as my forearm can handle it. Right now it hurts too much to do anything lefty.

On a positive although almost unbelievable note: my 14 year old cousin just told me he closed the BBSM I gave him on Saturday. He missed it by a good 3/8" when I gave it to him and now he's closing it! I told him when he can get it with either hand I'll give him a tougher one so maybe I'll have another week...lol

Bummer man. I hope it heals up quickly. At least it gives lefty, hell the rest of us, a shot to catch up.

That's almost insane strong considering how new and young. Sounds like you should have that next gripper ready for him because he'll be ready soon! I anticipate seeing him posted here with his MM0 soon.

Bummer man. I hope it heals up quickly. At least it gives lefty, hell the rest of us, a shot to catch up.

That's almost insane strong considering how new and young. Sounds like you should have that next gripper ready for him because he'll be ready soon! I anticipate seeing him posted here with his MM0 soon.

You said it all :erm

I already have a #3 ready to give him. He really wants to get the CoC cert cuz he thinks it's cool what IM is doing with the donations for Marunde's kids. He hasn't shown any interest in coming to the forums but I'll post a vid when he closes the 3 for sure.

10/11/10

Took the #3 in to work tonight to do some CCS and PKS work. Since it's the week of WSH I wanted to keep the one gripper workout of the week fairly unstressful on my hands. I managed to kill it PKS but before the CCS attempts I was helping a guy in another department move a fairly heavy but extremely cumbersome part and the dumb ass dropped his end and it kinda twisted in my hands and I felt a pop on the backside of my right hand dead center in the middle. It didn't hurt or anything so I didn't think about it. However, when I tried the #3 CCS as soon as it got to about half way I got a super sharp pain in my hand where it popped. I gave it some rest and warmed my hand up real good and tried again and same thing, about half way it hurt real bad. Again, I let it rest about 45 minutes or so, warmed it up real good and again bad pain. When I got home I decided to lightly test it with a few things and with grippers #2 and below I have no pain but when I tried the #2.5 the pain was back. Tried RT up to 157 lbs. and no pain at all. IM hub up to 33 lbs. (my max) and no pain at all. I even tried my pinch block both 2 handed and single handed and no pain. I'm glad that there's no pain on the other exercises but it sucks that now, a month before cert day I hurt my stupid hand. Oh well, if I have to postpone it I will, no biggie. The rest of the week is going to be rest for the competition this weekend.

To bad Russ. Sound like you've got a partial ligament or tendon tear. 6 weeks+ minimum, could be 3 months before you see full strength back...I'd see a doc though and err on the side of caution.

Just saw this. Sorry about the accident! This sucks. How is it doing now? You were on a roll!

The doc says I strained a something or other in my right hand and I need to come back to see him in 4 weeks. I'm supposed to rest it until then. I guess this is a chance for my left to catch back up so long as my forearm can handle it. Right now it hurts too much to do anything lefty.

On a positive although almost unbelievable note: my 14 year old cousin just told me he closed the BBSM I gave him on Saturday. He missed it by a good 3/8" when I gave it to him and now he's closing it! I told him when he can get it with either hand I'll give him a tougher one so maybe I'll have another week...lol

That sucks indeed man. Let's hope your righty doesn't lose to much strength...on the other hand, you only need one hand to certify.. And of course it's no race, you'll get your cert! Bodyhealth is most important, but it still sucks. Hope your hand heals up quickly brother.