Malice's Grip Training Ver. 2.0

Malice

I'm going to try this grip log thing again. Between the last log and now a few things have happened. First, I somehow injured my left arm at WSH so it's been pretty much useless for everything and all I've been doing is working grippers righty. No worries though, the left will catch up once I start working with it again. I was going to stop training righty until my left was healed so I could keep the strength of both hands more equal but since I started the CoC cert in 2010 thread I feel almost obligated to achieve that goal since I feel I'm so close to it. Plus I just plain don't WANT to stop training :rolleyes

Second, I finally closed my 153 lb. #3 MMS on 8/19/10. It was a bit unexpected the night I got it the first time cuz I managed 7 full closes in 10 attempts so I wasn't sure if I was just having a super on day or what but I followed it up with a few closes on 2 consecutive days following that so it's not a fluke after all. Now to work on strengthening CCS and getting that cert.

Anyway here's the last couple weeks worth of workouts:

8/9/10

#3(MMS)-9x1-no full closes but closest so far. Hands smoked so I stopped after 9 attempts

I rested the rest of the week so my hands would be rested for WSH on 8/14/10. I managed a PR on the VHG with level 13 MMS.

8/17/10

#3(MMS)-8x1-no full closes but within 1/16"-only working righty due to pain in left arm

#3(CCS)-5x1-down to about 1/4"

8/19/10

#3(MMS)-10x1-7 full closes!!! Righty only still

8/23/10

#3.5 (choked)-10x1-all attempts less than 3/8" with a few less than 5/16". I didn't plan to do a 3.5 workout tonight. I only took it in to get the choker set up on it but when I gave it a test squeeze it moved more than I expected and I was so excited I just kept going with it. Righty only still.

8/24/10

#3.5 (choked)-8x1-all attempts at or below 5/16" with one below 1/4". Stopped at 8 due to my hand starting to get sore. Righty only still.

Glad to see you started up another journal. I never commented in your other one, but I was following along pretty closely. Your dedication and progress has been amazing. Keep up the good work!

I'm going to try this grip log thing again. Between the last log and now a few things have happened. First, I somehow injured my left arm at WSH so it's been pretty much useless for everything and all I've been doing is working grippers righty. No worries though, the left will catch up once I start working with it again. I was going to stop training righty until my left was healed so I could keep the strength of both hands more equal but since I started the CoC cert in 2010 thread I feel almost obligated to achieve that goal since I feel I'm so close to it. Plus I just plain don't WANT to stop training :rolleyes

Second, I finally closed my 153 lb. #3 MMS on 8/19/10. It was a bit unexpected the night I got it the first time cuz I managed 7 full closes in 10 attempts so I wasn't sure if I was just having a super on day or what but I followed it up with a few closes on 2 consecutive days following that so it's not a fluke after all. Now to work on strengthening CCS and getting that cert.

Anyway here's the last couple weeks worth of workouts:

8/9/10

#3(MMS)-9x1-no full closes but closest so far. Hands smoked so I stopped after 9 attempts

I rested the rest of the week so my hands would be rested for WSH on 8/14/10. I managed a PR on the VHG with level 13 MMS.

8/17/10

#3(MMS)-8x1-no full closes but within 1/16"-only working righty due to pain in left arm

#3(CCS)-5x1-down to about 1/4"

8/19/10

#3(MMS)-10x1-7 full closes!!! Righty only still

8/23/10

#3.5 (choked)-10x1-all attempts less than 3/8" with a few less than 5/16". I didn't plan to do a 3.5 workout tonight. I only took it in to get the choker set up on it but when I gave it a test squeeze it moved more than I expected and I was so excited I just kept going with it. Righty only still.

8/24/10

#3.5 (choked)-8x1-all attempts at or below 5/16" with one below 1/4". Stopped at 8 due to my hand starting to get sore. Righty only still.

Lookin good there, keep at it :mosher

I took the #3 in to work tonight to do some CCS work. Then I got a call from the wife saying she locked herself out of the house so when I went home to let her in she said a gripper showed up. It was the MM1 replica so I took it back to work with me and did some CCS work with it as well. My #3 has a 3" spread and a brutal sweep so up until parallel it was actually tougher than the MM1 but from that point on the MM1 was WAY harder. I was happy getting it down to about 1/2" with a couple squeezes being just less than that. I tried it a couple times MMS and was probably about 3/8" from closing it.

8/26/10

#3(CCS)-5x1-no full closes

MM1(CCS)-5x1-no full closes

I bought the MM1 replica not cuz I figure by the time I can close it CCS I should be ready for just about any #3 that comes out of the package on cert day so the goal is to kill this thing in the next couple months.

Sounds like you ended up getting a real nice MM1 replica. The one I bought feels about like an average #3. It's nothing close to the real MM1.

Sounds like you ended up getting a real nice MM1 replica. The one I bought feels about like an average #3. It's nothing close to the real MM1.

When I first picked it up and gave it the first squeeze it started so easy I was thinking WTF this is supposed to be just under an elite. Then it hit the wall and I was happy. It's definitely harder from parallel-ish on to the close.

Dude, what did you do to your Left arm last time you were down?

- Aaron

I'm thinking a large part of it has to do with my last attempt on the WD, you know the one where it slipped out of my right hand and almost put your eye out. It tweaked something in my left forearm big time. It's starting to feel a little better since I've been resting it but I'm going to continue resting it for a while longer. I'll be down for the next leg of WSH but will probably just compete in VHG and cheer you and Tim on. I'll let the arm recover completely and declare war on the WSH events for next years run.

Dude, what did you do to your Left arm last time you were down?

- Aaron

I'm thinking a large part of it has to do with my last attempt on the WD, you know the one where it slipped out of my right hand and almost put your eye out. It tweaked something in my left forearm big time. It's starting to feel a little better since I've been resting it but I'm going to continue resting it for a while longer. I'll be down for the next leg of WSH but will probably just compete in VHG and cheer you and Tim on. I'll let the arm recover completely and declare war on the WSH events for next years run.

Bummer, I'm really sorry to hear about that.

8/27/10

MM1(CCS)-10x1-no full closes

Not a bad workout all in all but my strength was a bit down. It was probably due to no sleep. I got woke up early this morning by my 3 year old daughter screaming and crying. Took her to the doc and it turns out she has a urinary tract infection. Poor lil thing! It kills me that she has a owie that I can't do anything to help make better. When I was a kid I used to think my dad was just trying to make me feel better when he said he would take my pain away if he could. Now I realize he was serious cuz that's exactly how I feel with my baby girl.

I put the MM1 replica on the rgc today and it came out at 162 lbs. and some change. It's exactly in the strength range I was hoping for and when I can kill this thing CCS I'll be calling about the #3 cert. I put it on the rgc again in a month or so when I have 100+ squeezes on it to see if it's dropped and if so how much.

8/30/10

#3.5(choked to 1")-10x1-no closes but all at or less than 3/16"!

#3.5(choked to 3/4")-5x1-3 closes!!

My hands felt very good tonight! I got so close on the choker set at 1" tonight that just for the hell of it I decided to give it a try set at 3/4" after the workout and surprise, surprise...I managed to close it first try. I ended up trying 5 times and closed it 3 of them and the other 2 were probably about a piece of paper away from touching. I'm absolutely ecstatic about this workout :mosher

8/27/10

MM1(CCS)-10x1-no full closes

Not a bad workout all in all but my strength was a bit down. It was probably due to no sleep. I got woke up early this morning by my 3 year old daughter screaming and crying. Took her to the doc and it turns out she has a urinary tract infection. Poor lil thing! It kills me that she has a owie that I can't do anything to help make better. When I was a kid I used to think my dad was just trying to make me feel better when he said he would take my pain away if he could. Now I realize he was serious cuz that's exactly how I feel with my baby girl.

I put the MM1 replica on the rgc today and it came out at 162 lbs. and some change. It's exactly in the strength range I was hoping for and when I can kill this thing CCS I'll be calling about the #3 cert. I put it on the rgc again in a month or so when I have 100+ squeezes on it to see if it's dropped and if so how much.

Good game plan to get u ready for #3 cert in future...keep going :rock

8/31/10

My left arm hasn't had any pain the last few days so I decided to try an abbreviated gripper workout with it tonight so I took the #3 to work. It felt pretty good with no pain. My left hand strength was where I was hoping it would be instead of where I thought it would be so I'm happy with that. If I can keep training it I'm thinking it should be caught up pretty close to the right in about a month or so.

#3(choked to 1")-5x1-all closes righty easily and none lefty. Got to about 3/8" lefty. Slid the choker off on righty closes and did a negative out to about 1 3/4" to work sweep. I stopped at 5 lefty so as not to overdo it.

#3(choked to 1 1/4")-5x1-no closes but within a fat electron (stole that from Cannon :whistel) and again slid the choker off and did a negative out to 1 3/4". These were all righty only.

I'm going to stop using the #3 righty now. It's time to use the #3.5, MM1 replica and extended handle BBE from now on. I'll use the #3 for my left.

Its absolutely inspiring how far you've come in such a short period of time, stick with it and you'll be closing some of the biggest grippers out there!

Thanks brother! I just ordered my lifetime goal gripper from GSS...a BBWC. I know it's unrealistic in most people's opinion but that's one reason I chose this one. I'm not one to set goals that are considered realistic by most people and surprisingly more often than not I accomplish those goals.

Things seem to go very fast for you ! That's really nice !!

Thanks Jeofrey!

9/1/10-rest day. I'm happy to report that I have no pain or anything in my left arm from last nights short but sweet gripper workout. I also did a couple quick pulls on the RT last night before bed to see where I am and I'm still pulling 157.5 in plates which weighs a bit over 161 with everything. I haven't trained it in a couple months but I'm going to start adding it in once a week as well as Blob50 once a week. I still want to be able to give the easy level a run at the grip gauntlet at the Arnold next year. Once a week on each shouldn't negatively affect grippers...hopefully. Once I cert on the #3 I'll try adding a little more volume on those 2 lifts.

9/2/10

I have to use 2 different grippers now since my hands are such varying strength and it's already annoying me after only one workout. The left better catch up quick.

Left-#3(choked to 3/4")-5x1-no closes but no pain in the arm or anything so that's good.

Right-extended handle BBE(CCS to severe neg)-6x1-I wasn't feeliing comfortable with these tonight. Couldn't seem to get a good feel for it so I switched to the #3 for some CCS work.

Right-#3(CCS)-4x1-no full closes and wasn't even close. I think my hand was just smoked by this point.

I'm going to take the rest of the week and weekend off from grippers to give my hands a break. I'll do a Blob workout this weekend and see where I am with that.

Malice,

Keep up the good work, and I think it's a good idea to take a break. I'm sure once you get back, those CCS #3 closes with get better and better. You'll succeed, my friend!

Being sick all week wasn't helping with strength OR recovery. I'm starting to feel a little bit better today but have no energy. Hands feel good today though hahaha