Ottoemezzo Training Log

OTTOEMEZZO

6/24/11

Squats: up to 285 x 3. Pretty easy!

supersetted with 10 singles on grippers each hand.

Bench: up to 210 x 3.

Rows: up to 210 x 5

supersetted with...

Weighted Dips: 40 lbs x 10 x 3 sets. Was going for 5 sets, but stopped at 3 because felt a big stretch in my right pec. Decided to stop and not risk injury.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OTTOEMEZZO

• Malice

• Forever

• Terrygrip

6/27/11

Wasn't feeling it today.

Squats: up to 285 x 5. Felt easy actually. Could have done 3 more reps.

Bench: up to 210 x 5. Barely got the last rep.

Deadhang Weighted Pull Ups: 65 lbs x 3 x 3. Barely finished.

Weighted Chin Ups: 20 lbs x 10, 8, 6.

Then did some curls.

Overall, everything felt awful, except squats. Squats actually felt great today.

This week I'm not doing grippers. My right hand hurts a little when I do them and I feel like I hit a plateau.

Thanks.

I'm doing a routine where I warm up to a heavy weight and then do 2 singles with it, and then do 5 reps on a lighter weight for 1 set. The next week, I do 4 singles with the same heavy weight, and increase the 5 rep light weight by 5 lbs.

Every couple weeks I increase the heavy singles by 2.5 lbs and reduce reps to 2 singles and repeat.

The workout doesn't take long, but I think it's really working.

6/29/11

Another tired day... Week for is terrible so far. Really feel like I'm overtraining. Can't wait to see how week 5 goes.

Light Squats

supersetted with...

RT: 3 singles R and 1 single L at 147.5. Was going for 4 singles each hand.

Military Press: up to 130 x 5. Actually, this felt good. Could have gotten a couple more reps.

Deadlifts: 355 x 5 DO grip. Grip started giving out after 3rd rep, had to take re-chalk on the last 2 reps. All the warm up sets felt rather hard as well.

As I said, not a good day today. The deadlift strength was down at least 10%. However, I am taking a 3 day break this weekend (going to the beach) and once I get back, I'll hopefully be ready to hit the weights hard again!

7/1/11

Squats: up to 295 x 3. Very easy! Had at least 4 more reps in me.

Bench: up to 215 x 3. Relatively easy!

Pendlay Rows: up to 215 x 5.

Weighted Dips: 45 lbs x 10, 10, 9.

supersetted with...

BW Pulls/Chins: 10 (pull ups), 10 (pull ups), 10 (chin ups)

Finished off with 12 slow BW dips.

Those dips/pull ups at the end of the workout were truly exhausting. Felt good though.

Great workout today. Squat and bench felt especially good, and I didn't feel overtrained today.

Edited by OTTOEMEZZO

7/6/11

This week was supposed to be the week I match my PRs on all the lifts. However, that plan did not go through. I went to the beach for the 4th of July weekend and burned myself everywhere. It's a terrible burn. Even thinking about squatting with this burn makes me cringe. Can't imagine doing an actual workout. Plus, I haven't been getting good sleep because I'm literally radiating heat, so I haven't been feeling like working out at all! But today, I decided to do a light deload workout. Feels good to do at least something and I can't wait to close #3 again next week, as well as squat, deadlift, press, and well, pretty much everything else. Can't wait to be able to workout normally again.

7/8/11

Light workout today, and tried box jumps for the first time today. Set up a bunch of pillow on my bed and jumped to 48". First time I tried this, so don't know if that's any good. Enjoyed it though.

7/11/11

Squats: up to 295 x 5. Had a couple more reps in me.

supersetted with...

Grippers: couldn't close #3 with right, but easily overcrushed #2.5 with left. Time to change my gripper workout.

Bench: up to 215 x 5. Hard.

Weighted Chin Ups (from dead hang): 70 lbs x 3 x 3. 45 lbs x 8.

Then did some bicep curls.

7/13/11

Light squats

supersetted with...

RT: tried 150 and almost got it. However, when I was warming up, I knew it wasn't a good day for RT - weak warm up pulls.

Military Press: up to 135 x 5. Had 1 more in me.

Deadlifts: up to 365 x 5 (used straps)*

*Decided to start using straps. Two reasons for this. First of all, it's hard to pull 4 sets of deadlifts (with DO grip) after RT workout. Second, the weight is getting pretty heavy and I want to progress. I'm still doing the first 3 sets with DO grip though.

Good workout today. Disappointed with RT, but my grip is feeling weak in general these days. Maybe doing a little too much too often?

Edited by OTTOEMEZZO

Nice job on deads! Instead of straps might I suggest a mixed grip? I've found that when my grip starts to fail switching to a mixed grip works great.

Malice,

The reason I chose not to do mixed grip is because I don't want to risk a bicep tear. After I saw some videos of people tearing biceps, I don't even want to risk it. But, I do acknowledge that it's a nice, solid grip and one can pull some heavy weights with it.

7/15/11

Did 15 singles with BBSM and #2 at work today. Trying "grease the groove" method on my light days.

Squats: up to 300 x 3. Easy.

Bench: up to 220 x 3. Hard.

Rows: up to 220 x 5.

Weighted Dips: 50 lbs x 10 x 3 sets. Surprisingly easy!

supersetted with...

Wrist Curls: 105 lbs x 10 x 3 sets.

Then finished off with 18 BW dips and 85 lbs x 8 on the wrist curls.

7/18/11

Squats: up to 300 x 5 - PR!!! Actually was easy. Had at least a couple more in me.

Bench: up to 220 x 5 - PR!!! Finally some good bench progress. Actually, this was easier than 215 x 5 last week, and maybe I had 1 more in me.

Weighted Chin Ups: 75 lbs x 3 x 3. 45 lbs x 8 reps.

Then did some curls for hypertrophy.

And thus starts the week of PRs on Madcow. Really liking this program so far.

On a side note, I'm finding it really hard to gain weight in the summer. I'm only at about 203 lbs right now and will eat 3800 calories a day this week - hopefully will see some results.

Thanks brother.

7/20/11

Light Squats

supersetted weith...

RT: 125 x 5, 130 x 4, 115 x 10 x 2 sets. Not feeling it today.

Military Press: up to 135 x 5.

Deadlifts: up to 375 x 5 PR!!!*

*This deadlift weight is easy for me these days, but felt hard today. First off, it's 100 degrees outside and I was very, very hot in my garage. Second, all the sets prior to 375 x 5 (including a max effort miliary press and 335 x 5 DO grip deadlift) truly exhausted me. I should also mention that I pull true deadlifts (meaning I don't bounce the weight.) So, what I'm trying to do is lighten the load somehow prior to the final deadlift. Maybe I will cut some RT sets or something, since pulling a hard set of 5 after almost 1 hour of working out is pretty intense.

7/22/11

Hottest day of the year today. Heat index around 115 over here. Felt lazy, but still got all the lifts.

Squats: up to 305 x 3.

Bench: up to 225 x 3.

Rows: up to 225 x 5.

Weighted Dips: 55 lbs x 10 x 3 sets. Then 22 BW reps. Happy with this.

Wrist Curls: 110 lbs x 10 x 3 sets. Then 85 lbs x 15. Used thumbless grip, for more ROM.

Where are you located? I have friends and family in the northeast who are absolutely melting.

Nice work on the deadlifts the other day! :mosher

Thanks.

Forot to mention that I also did 4 negatives today with #3.5 for right nad BBE for left.

By the way, I'm in VA. The heat was truly terrible today. Probably the hottest day of my life.

7/25/11

Throughout the day, did 20 single overcrush with #2.5 for Right and BBSM for left.

Squats: up to 305 x 5 - PR!!! The easiest PR ever. Had AT LEAST 3 more reps in me.

Bench: up to 225 x 5 - PR!!! Very happy with this, as it was my goal for quite some time. It felt the same as 220 x 5 last week.

Weighted Chin Ups: 80 lbs x 3 x 3 - tied for a PR. 45 lbs x 8.

Curls: 90 lbs x 10, 8, 6. Less than 2 minute rest in between sets.

Edited by OTTOEMEZZO

7/27/11

Light Squats

supersetted with...

RT: 125 x 5 x 3 sets.

Military Press: up to 140 x 5 PR!!!*

Deadlifts: up to 385 x 5 PR!!!

*Started doing them with a pause on top instead of bottom (the way Rippetoe recommends,) so felt pretty easy.

Edited by OTTOEMEZZO

7/29/11

Squats: up to 315 x 3.

supersetted with...

5 negatives with grippers.

Bench: up to 230 x 3.

Rows: up to 230 x 5.

Weighted Dips: 60 lbs x 10 x 3 sets.

supersetted with:

Wrist Curls: 105 x 10 x 2 sets (accidently put 105 instead of 115,) 115 x 10.

Finished off with 15 BW dips and 15 behind back wrist curls with 95 lbs.

I realized today that I shouldn't do gripper duing Mardcow workouts. They tire me out like crazy and I have a hard time doing my regular lifts. Instead, I will move Friday grip day to Saturday.

Weight is still around 203, even after eating 4000 calories a day the past week. Time to bump it to 4200. Crazy fast metabolism!

8/1/11

Squats: up to 315 x 5 PR!!!

Bench: up to 230 x 5 PR!!!

Weighted Chin Ups: 82.5 lbs x 3 x 3 reps PR!!!

In the last 15 minutes of the workout I did 100 push ups and 50 chin ups. Definitely felt the cardio part of this as well!

Also did some grip work during the day. Just wasn't going well. I think I'll take a ocuple weeks off. Not feeling grip these days.

Edited by OTTOEMEZZO

8/3/11

Light Squats

Military Press: up to 145 x 4*

Deadlifts: up to 390 x 5 PR!!! Had a couple more in me.

*First fail on Madcow. I'm not too upset though, since next week is the same weight. Deadlifts went great though - much easier than last week.

Edited by OTTOEMEZZO

8/5/11

Squats: up to 325 x 3! Had a few more in me.

Bench: up to 235 x 3! Relatively easy.

Pendlay Rows: up to 235 x 5.

Dips: +65 lbs x 10, 10, 9. BW x 12 x 2 sets.

supersetted with...

Light wrist curls.

Recorded myself on camera for every major exercise this week. My review of my form:

Deadlifts: relatively good. Lower back is straight. Upper back rounds slightly, which is to be expected.

Squat: really pleased with this. Going way lower than parallel with a tight back.

Bench: pretty good.

Rows: terrible form. I've never really done rows before and will need to lower the weight and research the form. Both lower and upper back round. I'm also jerking the weight up and my back is not parallel to the floor.

Dips: good - lower than parallel.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my form, but I really need to do something about rows.