Ottoemezzo Training Log

OTTOEMEZZO

Starting a log here.

Here are my current lifts:

#2 x 5 on right, #2 - 2mm away on left. #1.5 x 18 on right, #1.5 x 10 on left

DL: 285 x 5 (Nowhere near my max. Started deadlifting at the end of December and have been increasing by 5 or 10 lbs per week.)

Squat: Just started 3 weeks ago at 135 lbs, now at 155 lbs for 10 easy reps for 4-5 sets. Again, increasing at 10 lbs per week.)

Bench: haven't checked in a while

DB flat bench: 90s x 7

DB shoulder press: 65s x 6

DB curls: 60s x 4

Close grip bench: 185 x 5

Height: 6' 1"

Weight: 202 - 205 lbs

I know, nothing great yet, but DL and Squats are increasing very easily and rapidly. Here are my goals for 2010, in order of importance:

Close #3 with right, #2.5 with left

Bench 225 for 5 reps

Deadlift 405 for 5 reps

Squat 315 for 5 reps

DB flat press 110 for 8 reps

DB shoulder press 80 for 8 reps

I think all of these goals are realistic, considering I am bulking and that I just started deadlifts and squats not long ago.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OTTOEMEZZO

• Malice

• Forever

• Terrygrip

CLOSED #2 with LEFT for FIRST TIME TODAY!!! Big day. It's been less than 6 months since I started training grippers. With the right, I almost closed #2.5. I was about 2-4 mm away.

Also, I did 290 x 8 deadlift easily, 170 x 10 squat for 3 sets easily, and 185 x 8 decline bench press after DB incline press workout. Weight went up and my eyes are on the #3 gripper right now. Hopefully will close it by the end of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

End of week. New PRs:

Deadlift: 300 x 10 with hook grip (not max yet, just part of workout). I think I will definitely get to my goal of 405 x 5 this year.

DB shoulder Press: 65s x 8

Behind Neck Press: 130 x 4

DB curls: 60s x 6 (a little cheating)

Just tried #3 on both left and right with minial set (similar to Joe Kinney's #4 set). On right, about 1" away, on left 1.375" away. Still have a long way to go.

On right hand, I am about 1 mm away with #2.5 - there is pretty much no distance between the handles. Also, some new PRs:

Bench Press: 205 x 3 (using powerlifting form. Still getting used to it)

DB Shoulder Press: 65s x 10

Also did an easy 185 x 10 squat and working on the form.

#2 with Right - 6 reps with some adjustement of the gripper in the hand between some reps.

Great chest work out today, got 205 x 4. Getting closer to my goal of 225 x 5 by the end of the year.

Don´t you just love it when the training is progressing as it should?

Keep up the great work! :mosher

Everything is still going great in the gym. Grippers a slightly behind. #2.5 is very, very close on right hand. #2, I stopped being able to close with left.

New PRs:

DB Curls: 65 each hand x 5

DB Shoulder press: 70 x 6

Close grip decline bench press: 195 x 8

Squats: slowly adding more and more weight. Now at 195 x 10. Next week: 205 x 10

Tomorrow is the deadlift day.

Did a max bench press today. Benched 235 once. That number is higher than I expected. I hope to get to my goal of 225 x 5 in 2-3 months and hit 300 by the end of the year. We'll see how I do.

I'm taking a break from grippers right now because I feel like I over trained. My goal is to close #2.5 by the end of July and close #2 with left hand consistently (at almost any time during the day) by the end of August at most.

Yesterday, I did choker work for the first time. I chocked #2.5 to 3/4" and closed it easily with right, and very close on left.

Today, I did bench press. Felt weak and only did 210 x 3.

Did choker work today with the spread of 3/4" on #2.5. 5 singles. Closed every time with right and 3 out of 5 with left. Next week, I will adjust the choker to 1". I feel the #3 getting closer, and have a feeling that I would be able to choker close it with my right hand right now. I never tried #3 with a choker, but #2.5 feels very easy for my right hand.

I also squatted 205 x 12. Finally hitting some decent numbers. Next week the goal is 215 x 14 and in 2 weeks - 225 x 15. Basically, I am realizing that 10 reps is not enough, so each week I am not only increasing the weight, but also the reps.

Now is a good time to list my all time dream goals (in order of importance):

1. Close #4 CoC with CCS

2. Deadlift 600 lbs

3. Do a one arm pull up

4. Bench Press 405 lbs

5. Squat 500 lbs

These might change in a few months, but for now, they make sense.

Shoulder work out was 2 days ago. I dumb-bell overhand pressed 70 lbs in each hand for 8 reps.

Deadlifts were terrible yesterday. I was going for 10 reps with 310 lbs. Only did 6. However, I exercised at 10 am instead of 11 and felt weaker. Also, my hamstrings were still sore from leg day. Next week, I'll go for 315 x 10.

A few days ago, I closed #2 with my left again. #3 is about 3/4" or less on the right. So, 1/4" improvement in 1 month. Not bad. I still believe that #3 will give up to me this year. Maybe will even certify, we'll see.

Did choker work today with the spread of 3/4" on #2.5. 5 singles. Closed every time with right and 3 out of 5 with left. Next week, I will adjust the choker to 1". I feel the #3 getting closer, and have a feeling that I would be able to choker close it with my right hand right now. I never tried #3 with a choker, but #2.5 feels very easy for my right hand.

I also squatted 205 x 12. Finally hitting some decent numbers. Next week the goal is 215 x 14 and in 2 weeks - 225 x 15. Basically, I am realizing that 10 reps is not enough, so each week I am not only increasing the weight, but also the reps.

Now is a good time to list my all time dream goals (in order of importance):

1. Close #4 CoC with CCS

2. Deadlift 600 lbs

3. Do a one arm pull up

4. Bench Press 405 lbs

5. Squat 500 lbs

These might change in a few months, but for now, they make sense.

Keep working like you are and those goals will go down, no problem. You're making great progress, keep working brother!!

Thanks for the support Malice. I feel with the increase in my body weight (now up to 206) and all of my major lifts, grip strength is improving rapidly. I was 0.5 mm away from closing #3 with .75" choker spread. Today was a chest day, and I benched 210 x 5. Next week, it's time for 215.

Tomorrow is leg day... going for 215 x 14.

Leg day was a success - 215 x 14. However, after that set, my legs were dead and I only got 215 x 7, 215 x 8, and 215 x 6 for the next 3 sets.

Ok, a couple of things. With only about 2 months of squat experience, I just realized that my knees are buckling in when I squat. This needs to be fixed, so, I will be dropping the weight to 185 next week and work on making sure my knees are out. I also had a small injury. On the day I started doing choked #3 closes with my right hand, I hurt it, without realizing it. Only when it was time for the next gripper work out did I realize that something was wrong. My hand hurts slightly when closing grippers or shaking hands, and I am on break and will continue to be until next Tuesday. I am hoping it will be healed by then.

Despite of my right hand injury, I still did gripper work today with my left hand. Today was also a shoulder work out, with which I am very happy. DB shoulder presses are up to 70 lbs in each hand for 9 reps. Once I reach 12 reps, it will be time for 75, which I expect to happen within a month's time.

For the left hand gripper work, I warmed up, then did 5 chocked singles at 3/4" and ALL CLOSES WERE SUCCESSFUL, even with a 5 sec overcrush. Felt great and next week I am widening the handles by 1/16" (taking it slow), to 13/16".

Overall, I am happy with everything, except my right hand of course.

Bench day was today. Not so good... 215 x 2. I'm disappointed. How come I can do 210 x 5, but only 215 x 2!? Anyway, next week I will probably switch something up and progress.

Today was also a gripper day. I warmed up and then did:

(Note: (F) means failed and (S) means succeeded. I did 5 sets for each hand of my worker reps.)

R (#3 choked at 3/4"): F, F, S, F, F

L (#2.5 choked to 13/16"): S, S, S, S, F

Also did a couple overcrushes (#2 with right and #1.5 with left)

Pretty happy with this. Next time, I will try to close #3 at least 2 times out of 5 with my right hand and close all left hand attempts.

My right hand is feeling better, by the way.

Woke up this morning and tried grippers with my right hand. Squeezed the "Sport" and my hand hurt at even that low of a level. I will take a break of about 2 weeks to make sure it is healed. So, today I only trained my left hand. Here's what I did:

3 negatives with #3.5 (as soon as I shut it with my leg and let go, the gripper opened almost to parallel. I was trying to shut it as hard as I could, and held it until the handles passed parallel.)

2 negatives with #3 choked to 3/4" - THIS WAS GREAT! When the range is so small, it is much easier to shut the gripper and then I have more strength to do the negative. Here's negatives lasted about 15 seconds. I think choked negative are much better than normal negatives as they allow me to start a negative from a much more closed position and try to shut it for a longer period of time. I will get another hose clamp and choke my #3.5 so I can do negatives with it.

Today was also an arm work-out and the strength of my biceps and triceps is increasing. I am doind a very minimal work-out suggested by "thenaturalone" from Bodybuilding.com

Make sure you add in some extensor work to balance out heavy gripper work. (Bands or bucket of rice,etc...)  It will probably help with your right hand as well. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just grabbed a couple rubber bands and did 20 reps, 3 sets. How often do you think I should do these: every day, every other day, etc.?

I do them on whatever days I work grippers or have soreness along the back of my hands.  I have seen some guys post that it helps with tendonitis in the elbow as well.

I am now implementing thumb work (bought some clamps from Home Depot) and extensor work using simple rubber bands at home (I use a few at a time to make it harder). Thanks for advice, Bigdeze, I already feel a difference in my right hand. Still taking a break though.

Did a left hand work out yesterday. Did choked #2.5 (to slightly greater than 7/8", I would say about .9") Closed 4 out of 5 times. Felt pretty easy. Then did some attempts with #2 and closed it most of the times. Even was 1-2 mm away with a CCS. Great progress!