Ottoemezzo Training Log

OTTOEMEZZO

4/2/11

Grippers:

R: #3 x 2 attempts. Close, but not close enough. #2.5 x 3 overcrushes and #3.5 x 2 negatives.

L: #2.5 x 6 attempts. 3 or 4 were closed. Finished off with an overcrush on #2.

Squats: 310 x 2 x 3 sets. These felt very hard today.

Pull Ups: 60 lbs attached x 5 x 3 sets.

Chin Ups: 60 lbs attached x 5 x 2 sets.

Military Presses: 120 x 8, 8, 7.

Behind the Neck Press: 95 x 8. Exhausted at this point.

Well, I did not close #3 as I had expected, but I am not disappointed. I had a great workout and realized (once again) that going for max every workout (be it a deadlift, gripper, or any other exercise) is counter productive. Instead, it's better to focus on working out rather than setting 1 rep max records. It can be very psychologically demanding to go for an all out attempt every week! I choose to enjoy my workouts from now on... and I know I will get the #3 sometime soon. The "how soon" part does not worry me any more.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OTTOEMEZZO

• Malice

• Forever

• Terrygrip

MM2Pete,

Unfortuantley, I did not. I use a very open set (almost credit card) and I'm about a hair away on a good day. I know that I will have the ability to shut it very soon though!

Still 4/2/11...

Felt like doing some more grip work today, so decided to try some one hand deadlifts after lunch... Got 225 with either hand!!! This was a number I've been chasing for a while. Also tried 235 and got some air with both left and right! This makes me confident that I will be able to lift at least 450 (225 x 2) with DO grip by the end of the year.

4/4/11

Bench: 200 x 5 x 3 sets. Felt strong

Grippers:

R: #2.5 x 4 overcrushes and #3.5 x 3 negatives. Did not feel very strong

L: #2.5 x 5 attempts. 3 closes. Then, #2 x 2 overcrushes. Not that strong either.

Pull Ups: left elbow started hurting, so I stopped. Taking a break from these as they seem to aggrevate my elbows.

Inline Bench: 155 x 8 x 3 sets.

Some wrist and reverse wrist curls.

The bench is improving, but grippers seem to feel very slow and not explosive... I think choked #3 worked better than negatives with #3.5. I'll give the negatives some time, but think I'll switch to choker work pretty soon as it forces me to produce alot of force very quickly.

4/6/11

Squats: 315 x 3, 3, 2. Seeing the white light on some of those. Really hard!

Gripper overcrushes: R: #2.5 x 5. L: #2 x 5.

Military Presses: 125 x 8, 7, 5.

Behind neck press: 105 x 10.

4/9/11

Deadlifts (DO grip, no hook): 400 x 2 x 2. Made a video and realized that my back rounds slightly at the beginning of the lift. Otherwise, the lifts went up pretty quickly and weren't hard. I will upload the video soon, but does anyone have advice in the meanwhile on how to keep the back as straight as possible?

Rolling Thunder: 130 x 5 x 3 sets. Happy with this.

Deadlifts: 285 x 10 x 2 sets (DO grip). The back also bends here... These were brutal after all that grip and back work.

4/11/11

Bench: 205 x 5, 225 x 1 x 4 sets. Felt like doing low reps.

Grippers: #3 choked overcrushes with right and attempts with left mixed in with #2.5 overcrushes with right. Left was feeling pretty weak. No closes on the #2.5 today.

Pull Ups: 12, 16, 12, 10.

Incline Bench: 155 x 8, 8, 6.

My arms were looking weirdly big after the workout. Right now, they are 15 and 7/8 inches flexed, cold. After workout, they got pumped up to 16 and 1/2 inches. Probably the biggest pump I've had in my life. Maybe those high rep sets are not too bad...

4/14/11

Deadlifts: 375 x 3 x 3.

RT: Got 145 with both hands for a PR! Then, went for 155 but was just able to catch some air. Then did 4 singles with 140 and finished off with 125 x 8.

Military Press: 130 x 5 x 5.

Thanks Terry,

I just re-started RT, so I'm glad to get a PR. I know it's not much, but I plan to improve alot by the year's end.

Military Press... not sure. I belive the most I've ever done was 145 x 2. Now, I'm stronger so maybe 150 - 160 for a single is reasonable.

4/18/11

Bench Press: 225 lbs x 2, 1, 1, 1.

Then did some unracking for the first time in my life. Worked up to 285 for easy 10 second holds. These are pretty tough on the wrists.

Pulls Ups: No go. Left elbow hurt from 4/15/11 workout. I did way too many pull ups that day and paid for it. No need to hurt myself more.

Grippers: Tried #3 with right. Maybe closed, but probably was 1 mm away. I will not attempt this gripper for at least 3-4 weeks. I feel these attempts are pretty difficult psychologically. On a positive note, I overcrushed #3 from about 1.5" inch choked position. If only I could set it well, I feel like I would smash it. #2.5 also felt easier for left hand today, as I got some solid closes. On a side note, #2.5 is a toy for my right hand these days. I can overcrush it for at least 15 - 20 seconds. The reason I believe this is because I once mashed it for 10 easy seconds while in the middle of the workout. It's no challenge for right hand anymore.

Incline Bench Press: 165 x 8, 6, 6.

Then did 50 push ups, some diamond push ups and sits up for 3 sets of 50, 40, and 30. Trying to do more cardio-like workouts, as I believe I've neglected them for a while. Enjyoing it so far.

4/20/11

Deadlifts: 410 x 1, 355 x 4, 335 x 6. Felt weak. I think my nervous system is tired from doing rather heavy deadlifts every week. Maybe once every 2 weeks is better...

Military Press: Got 140. Failed at 150. Then did 125 x 6. Very weak. Need to do more of a bodybuilding type of workout next week, so that my body can take a break.

Rolling Thunder: 135 x 3 x 3. Finished off with 125 x 10 for a PR! The only exercise that felt good today. My grip seems to be improving on both grippers and RT!

• 2 weeks later...

5/1/11

Was de-loading the last week. Really easy, but very boring. Can't wait to start lifting heavy again tomorrow and I'm thinking of starting something along the lines of "Starting Strength."

Day 1:

Squats 5 x 5

Bench Press: 5 x 5

Pull Ups: 5 sets of 10 to start (Don't want to aggravate my left eblow - will starting doing weighted pull ups in a week or two)

Day 2:

Squats: 5 x 5

Military Press: 5 x 5

Deadlifts: 1 x 5

Will see how this goes... but I really hope that my bench press breaks through the plateau on this program. I will workout 3 days a week and integrate grip training on every training day. 2 days on grippers - supersetted with squats, and 1 day of Rolling Thunder - also supersetted with squats.

I will start out pretty light, aiming for some PRs in 3-5 weeks.

Squats: 250 x 5 x 5 - this will be real easy.

Deadlifts: 350 x 5 - should be easy.

Bench: 190 x 5 x 5.

Military Press: 125 x 5 x 5.

Pull Ups: BW to start.

5/2/11

Squats: 250 x 5 x 5, supersetted with the gripper workout!

Bench Press: 185 x 5 x 5, supersetted with pull ups 10 reps x 5 sets.

I FINALLY CLOSED #3 FOR THE FIRST TIME TODAY!!! For 3 singels! They weren't overcrushes, but I felt the handles touch. It's amazing that about 1 year ago (when I started), I could barely close #1, and right now I think I'm not even close to what I can accomplish in my lifetime. I would like to thank every on the GripBoard for the support and advice! Without you guys, I would not reach one of my life goals. Thank you!

Thank you Klesen. Your support is very much appreciated.

5/5/11

Squats: 255 x 5 x 5. Surprisingly easy - much better than last week!

Grippers: 1 close out of 3 attempts with the #3! Pretty happy to close it again. There is still no click when I close, but I am barely at the #3 level. I expect to overcrush this thing pretty soon though. #3.5 seems a long distance away though - about .5". Also did some overcrushes on the #2.5 with left as well as attempts at #3 (about 1/4" away.)

Military Press: 125 x 5 x 5

Deadlifts: 350 x 5 DO grip.

Deadlifts seem pretty hard after squats, military presses, and grip. I've heard from some top lifters that deadlifts should not be trained often - about once very 2 weeks. Can anyone recommend a nice solid routine if I only do them that rarely? If I only do 5 reps every couple weeks, I don't feel like that would be enough. Any recommendations are welcomed.

5/7/11

Squats: 260 x 5 x 5.

Rolling Thunder: tried 150 and failed. Could only pull 142.5. Also did 5 reps, followed by 2 reps with 130. Very weak today.

Bench: 190 x 5 x 5.

Pull Ups: 12, 12, 8.

Then did some curls with 85 lbs and some diamond push ups.

I don't think this program will allow me to progess on bench, pull ups, and deadlifts that much since I'm completely wearing myself out with squats. Will need to make some adjustments next week.

5/9/11

Squats: 240 x 5, 255 x 5, 270 x 5. 160 x 10 x 5 sets.

Grippers:

R: #2.5 x 3 overcrushes and #3.5 x 2 attempts. Got the first one a little closer than .5". This is one stout gripper.

L: #2.5 x 2 overcrushes and choked #3 to 3/4" x 3. Was about 1 mm away from closing choked #3.

That's it for today! I want to get a BB Super Master and BB Elite to fill in the gaps between #2.5 and #3 with SM and #3 and #3.5 with Elite. I think that my #3.5 is on the tougher side, so hope that an Elite will be a nice progression.

5/10/11

Went cycling for about 15 minutes for warm up.

Bench: 160 x 5, 185 x 5, 195 x 5. 125 x 10 x 5 sets.

Weighted Pull Ups: 20 lbs x 10 x 3 sets.

Weighted Chin Ups: 20 lbs x 8.

BW Chin Ups: 12.

5/12/11

Deadlifts: 260 x 5, 300 x 5, 340 x 9! Could have gotten 1 or 2 more reps on 340, but didn't want my form to deteriorate. Finished off with 200 x 10 x 5 sets.

I've actually started Wendler's 5/3/1 program this week. I hate stopping "Starting Strength", but I think that program is not the best for me right now. I really want to commit to 5/3/1 and continue it for at least 1 year! I've set my 90% maxes at 310 for squat, 400 for deads, and 225 for bench. I think that these numbers are conservative enough, and hope that I won't have to back off on the weights for the whole year. If I do this program for 12 months, I should lift at least 380 on squat, 485 on dead, and 265 on bench. I will be relatively happy with those numbers. Of course, my number 1 focus is still grippers and I fully intend to close either an Elite (don't own it yet) or #3.5 by this time next year.

Wow, big list of goals and I feel very focused and motivated.

5/14/11

Military Press: 90 x 5, 100 x 5, 115 x 10 - felt really weak today. Followed by 70 x 10 x 5 sets.

Grippers (felt very weak as well):

R: Some overcrushes with #2.5 as well as a couple #2.5 CCS closes out of about 5 attempts (felt awkward due to never practicing CCS.) I never work CCS, but believe that on a good day, CCS with #2.5 is no problem. However, I do not feel now is a good time to work on CCS yet. I want to close either Elite or #3.5 and then I believe I can work towards #3 CCS.

5/16/11

Squats: 215 x 5 (Should have done 3 reps according to 5/3/1,) 250 x 5 (again, 3 reps should have been done. Brain was not working today,) 280 x 7! - Not bad, could have probably done 1 more rep, but pretty happy with this.

Grippers: weak with the right today. Maybe closed #3 once out of 4 attempts. Also did 2 overcrushes with #2.5. With the left, did 2 attempts at #3 and got closer than ever! And also did 4 #2.5 overcrushes. Finished off with filed #2 x 3 singles with each hand.

Pull Ups: BW x 5, 25 lbs x 5, 45 lbs x 7. Then, 25 lbs x 8 for pull ups and 25 lbs x 8 for chin ups.

Front Squats: 155 x 8 x 3 sets. Getting a hang of these.

Kind of a messy workout, but I really want to work on the pull ups during my 5/3/1 training!