Ottoemezzo Training Log

OTTOEMEZZO

5/10/11

Went cycling for about 15 minutes for warm up.

Bench: 160 x 5, 185 x 5, 195 x 5. 125 x 10 x 5 sets.

Weighted Pull Ups: 20 lbs x 10 x 3 sets.

Weighted Chin Ups: 20 lbs x 8.

BW Chin Ups: 12.

5/12/11

Deadlifts: 260 x 5, 300 x 5, 340 x 9! Could have gotten 1 or 2 more reps on 340, but didn't want my form to deteriorate. Finished off with 200 x 10 x 5 sets.

I've actually started Wendler's 5/3/1 program this week. I hate stopping "Starting Strength", but I think that program is not the best for me right now. I really want to commit to 5/3/1 and continue it for at least 1 year! I've set my 90% maxes at 310 for squat, 400 for deads, and 225 for bench. I think that these numbers are conservative enough, and hope that I won't have to back off on the weights for the whole year. If I do this program for 12 months, I should lift at least 380 on squat, 485 on dead, and 265 on bench. I will be relatively happy with those numbers. Of course, my number 1 focus is still grippers and I fully intend to close either an Elite (don't own it yet) or #3.5 by this time next year.

Wow, big list of goals and I feel very focused and motivated.

Solid workouts and look forward to reading along as you reach your goals

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OTTOEMEZZO

• Malice

• Forever

• Terrygrip

I've actually started Wendler's 5/3/1 program this week. I hate stopping "Starting Strength", but I think that program is not the best for me right now. I really want to commit to 5/3/1 and continue it for at least 1 year! I've set my 90% maxes at 310 for squat, 400 for deads, and 225 for bench. I think that these numbers are conservative enough, and hope that I won't have to back off on the weights for the whole year. If I do this program for 12 months, I should lift at least 380 on squat, 485 on dead, and 265 on bench. I will be relatively happy with those numbers. Of course, my number 1 focus is still grippers and I fully intend to close either an Elite (don't own it yet) or #3.5 by this time next year.

Wow, big list of goals and I feel very focused and motivated.

Good luck with your goals!

5/17/11

Gloomy weather, but a pretty decent workout none the less.

Bench Press: 155 x 3, 180 x 3, 200 x 7! Not too bad, I think my bench press is almost back to normal. I would estimate my max at either 240 or 245 right now. After the work set, I did 125 x 10 x 5 sets, experimenting with different grips to see how I can press the best.

Rolling Thunder: 142.5 x 1 x 3 singles!!! All of them went up relatively easily and held at the top. Then, 130 x 7 (PR)! Finished off with 110 x 10 x 3 sets with no rest between reps.

5/19/11

Deadlifts: 285 x 3, 320 x 3, 360 x 6. Not too body, but the grip gave out. Reason for this was because I had just received the Grand Master and Elite from grippersuperstore.com and I just had to try them. First off, the Grand Master felt a bit harder than my #3, but the Elite seems to fit perfectly between my #3 and the monster #3.5. I'm a little disappointed that the Grand Master is so tough (I couldn't close it,) but I guess it will be a slight stepping stone towards #3.5. I would rate the Grand Master at about 3.1 or 3.15, just based off the #3 that I have. Basically, I wore my grip out a little doing these attempts which led to a weaker grip on the deadlifts. Overall, I think I need to work on my deadlifting form. My back bends a little on the heavy sets.

Weighted Pull Ups: 20 lbs x 10 x 2 sets.

Weighted Chin Ups: 20 lbs x 5 x 3 sets. Decided to try short, 2 minute breaks, which affected my strength. I think I will stick with longer breaks for the pull ups in the future.

Barbell Curls: 5 sets of 10 with 70, 70, 65, 55, 55. Nothing special but gave me a nice pump.

Overall, it was an ok day... I felt strong in the beginning, but don't think I got full potential out of the work out.

5/21/11

Military Press: 95 x 3, 110 x 3, 120 x 9! Pretty happy with this.

Grip: Doing a Teemu choked workout for the next 5 weeks with the goal of consistently closing #3 with the right:

R: Elite x 5 choked to 3/4" closes!!! I was surprised at how easy this was. Then #2.5 x 1 overcrush for about 10 seconds.

L: #3 x 5 choked to 3/4" attempts. This still eludes me. About 1-2 mm away on the best attempts. Then filed #2 x 1 overcrush for about 10 seconds.

Then did some behind neck presses and lateral raises. Trying to add some mass to shoulders.

5/23/11

Squats: 230 x 5, 265 x 3, 295 x 5! (pretty happy with this. Probably could have gotten 1 more, but wasn't going to absolute failure. Was pretty close to it though.)

Grip:

R: choked to a little wider than 3/4" Elite x 5. About 2-3 closes, but not overcrushes - just barely closed. Also did 1 overcurhs with #2.5 for 15 seconds.

L: choked to 3/4" #3 x 5. I think 1 or 2 closes. Again, if it was closed, it wasn't a strong close. Then a 10-15 sec overcrush on filed #2. Also did 5 closes with #2.5 later on in the day.

Weighted Pull Ups: 55 lbs x 5 x 3 sets. 25 lbs x 10.

Weighted Chin Ups: 25 lbs x 10, 8.

Front Squats: 155 x 10 x 3 sets.

Also did some ab wheel work, tuck L-sit position (10 second holds for 3 sets), and 60 sit ups.

5/25/11

Bench Press: 170 x 5, 190 x 3, 215 x 5! (PR) Felt decently strong.

Rolling Thunder: 142.5 x 5 singles. 132.5 x 7! (PR)

Close Grip Bench Press: 135 x 10 x 5 sets.

Also got a dip station today. Will assemble and do 5 sets of 10 later on - either with just bodyweight or 25 lbs attached, depending on how I feel.

Overall, great day today. Both bench and RT felt strong!

5/26/11

Deadlifts: 300 x 5, 340 x 3, 380 x 1. Grip was weak - I think the RT yesterday wore me out.

Pull Ups: 25 lbs x 10.

Chind Ups: BW x 10 x 2 sets. All the chin/pull ups felt very hard today for some reason, so decided to stop.

Did some high rep curls (about 10 per set) with light weight. Wasn't my day today.

6/3/11

Doing a de-load week this week. I came to a realization that 5/3/1 is too soon for me. I've never done a former program in the past. Currently, my level is a bit above the cut off point for "Starting Strength" I believe, and not advanced enough for 5/3/1. It's definitely a great program, but I think I can make faster gains on linear progression right now. So, I will be trying the Madcow routine in the next few weeks. I also love the fact that I will be squatting 3 times a week on this program, as I believe that will make me stronger on the grippers, which have been lagging a bit lately.

What makes you feel you're not ready for 5/3/1? Based on my experience with it you could do it at any level and being that your lifts are already pretty strong it seems to me 5/3/1 would work great for you. A friend of mine is having great results with it and he just started lifting last year for the first time in his life. Just my .02.

Whichever program you end up using, keep up the good work brother!!

Thanks Malice.

However, I don't really consider myself strong right now. I also feel like I haven't really exhausted all of the gains from a simple linear progression - since I've never done a fully structured workout before. So, I feel that I can make quicker gains and master the main lift techniques better with a full body type of workout. In any case, I plan to resume 5/3/1 in the future, as I believe it to be a solid workout!

6/6/11

Started Madcow today.

Squats: top set of 265 x 5

supersetted with...

Grippers: Was less than 1/4" away on the Elite for Right and #3 for left! Closer than ever!!!

Bench: top set of 195 x 5

Pendlay Row: top set of 200 x 5. First time doing these! Easy!

Also going to do some ab wheel roll outs, tuck L-sit holds, and one set of crunches.

The only thing that felt difficult today was the Bench Press. I was kind of rushing through the workout in the beginning and I think I would benefit from more rest. The whole workout lasted 55 minutes, so I think I can take a little longer so that I can put maximum effort in the last set. Overall, felt like a good workout. I'm tired, but not exhausted right now. Just the right amount of volume.

6/6/11 Update

Got 1 FULL REP on the ab wheel for the 1st time! Really excited about this. Then did 3 sets of 20 on the knees which felt incredibly easy. Conclusion: ab wheel is an awesome device.

6/8/11

Light Squats

RT: 145 x 2 singles. 125 x 5

Military Press: up to 120 x 5

Deadlifts: up to 325 x 5. Too easy on these!

6/10/11

Squats: Up to 270 x 3.

Bench: Up to 200 x 3

Weighted Chin Ups with 25 lbs: 10, 10, 8

Weighted Dips with 25 lbs: 10 x 5 sets

Barbell Curls: 75 lbs x 10 x 3 sets

Long workout today, about 1:15. I'm noticing that I'm gaining a bit too much fat right now, so I will cut some calories off, especially on the off days. Trying to say pretty lean for the summer.

Forgot to mention that I did grippers during squats. Today was a light day. I did 4 CCS of #2.5 with right and 4 CCS of BBSM for the left. I found the perfect spot for this set for the right hand and all of them were nice overcrushes. Finished off with filed #2 x 2 singles with both hands.

6/13/11

Squats: up to 270 x 5. Then did walk out with 335 and 355. Felt nice and heavy.

supersetted with...

Grippers: R: 3 overcrushes with #2.5, 3 attempts at BBE (got closer than ever!), and 2 overcrushes with filed #2.

L: 3 overcrushes with BBSM, 3 attempts at #3 (a little more than 1/4" away), and 2 overcrushes with filed #2.

Bench: up to 200 x 5. Easy! Then did 2 lockouts for 15 sec each with 285 lbs.

Weighted Pull Ups: 55 lbs x 5 x 3 sets

Weighted Chin Ups: 25 lbs x 10, 10, 8.

Good workout today. Squats and Bench were easier than last week, even though the weight was higher.

6/15/11

Light Squats

supersetted with...

RT: 145 x 4 singles. 130 x 5.

Military Press: up to 125 x 5. Very easy!

Deadlifts: up to 340 x 5 DO grip. Held at the top of the last rep for 10-15 seconds. Very easy. Felt like I could do between 10 and 15 reps with this weight, which lets me know that I am improving.

Then did some ab stuff, but couldn't do a full ab wheel roll out due to squats and deadlifts as well as doing 3 of them yesterday, just for the heck of it.

6/16/11

Some big guy at work challenged me to an arm wrestling match today. I never decline such a challenge. So, we go at it first round. Five seconds later, his hand is down and I casually stand up ready to get back to work. Well, his group of friends was there and they tell me I cheated. They say I used my body too much, and a whole bunch of other BS. I know that you're allowed to use your whole body in a real arm wrestling match, but somehow that rule is lost on the general public. Still, that's not the kind of victory I want, so I tell them I'll play by their rules. We go a second time and it takes me a bit longer this time, but I take him down again. This time, everyone got quite, as there was no doubt in anyone's mind that I had won.

6/17/11

Squats: Up to 280 x 3

supersetted with gripper...

Grippers: 10 closes each hand. Mostly #2.5 closes with right and BBSM with left.

Bench: Up to 205 x 3

Rows: Up to 205 x 5

Then did supersets of chin ups and weighted dips (with 35lbs):

Chin Ups: 12, 10, 10, 8

Dips: 10, 10, 10, 9

Not bad. Those chin ups/dips really wore me out, especially since it was at the end of the workout.

6/20/11

Squats: up to 280 x 5

supersetted with grippers:

R: 6 attempts at #3. Closed it once and was 1-2 mm off on the rest. #2.5 x 1 overcrush for about 15 seconds.

L: 7 overcrushes of #2.5. Felt nice and strong. BBSM x 1 overcrush for about 12 seconds.

Bench: up to 205 x 5

Weighted Pull Ups: 60 lbs x 5 x 3 sets

Barbell Curls (starting from top position): 105 x 5 x 2 sets

Great workout today! Squats and bench were surprisingly not that hard - easier than last week!

6/22/11

Light Squats

supersetted with...

RT: up to 147.5 x 2 singles. PR!!! Acutally, this felt as very easy! Nice hold at the top. I think my max is about 10 lbs more at this point. I really like the RT program I'm doing right now. Finished off with 135 x 6! Was going for 5, but decided that it was too easy so went for 1 more.

Military Press: up to 125 x 5. Easy!

Deadlifts: up to 345 x 5 DO grip. Easy!

Ab work.

Greak workout today. Everything felt awesome!