One-armed Grip Training.

mwhities

Just get a #2. I think you'll close it first time.

Don't tell me that! hahah I might as well get both. Argh. I hate working for the state... getting paid once a month stinks. :|

I'll order soon.

Michael

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mwhities

• rico300zx

• Paul Knight

• Adam Moyers

i get paid monthly aswell - it's no fun.

Oui, I hate it. Although, ben paid the same amount every month helps with the budget. I'm just currently over budgeted for work out equipment. :)

Michael

Tried doing some bending. I gabbed two 3' rods of something. One was soft (easy) and the other was hard (SS?) One kicked my butt and one didn't.

Now, before you go look at this, I'm quite aware that I shouldn't use my mouth/teeth. (My wife is going to kill me.) So I won't do it again (unless it's with cards!).

So, here you go:

Some Bending

I'll get the info on the materials when I get home and post what they were.

Michael

I'm not sure what that harder one was, maybe just zinc coated but harder because it was so much shorter? In the teeth is probably the strongest way possible to bend one-handed, but I did have some success with other techniques today so it might be possible to save the chompers? Your wrap looks quite good btw, I think you might just need a bit longer and perhaps wider piece as you get to harder stuff.

For my wrap I used one piece of 10" x 10" suede, one piece because I thought it would be easier to wrap with one hand though that doesn't seem to be a problem for you. I bent a 1/4" thick 8"L, using my right hand I pushed one end into my right hamstring, in about the middle of the leg kind of the outside edge of the hamstring and I bent it using a reverse style motion with my right hand. Getting it close to 45 degrees I then put it on my upper right hip and crushed it down with my hand and oblique by bending over.

Might not make much sense just yet (search for reverse style bending that might help) I'll need to get some pics or video later on if this style seems to work. But for now it looks like I can do 1/4" steel pretty solidly with this style, next week I'll see if it holds up to some stuff a little harder.

I'm not sure what that harder one was, maybe just zinc coated but harder because it was so much shorter? In the teeth is probably the strongest way possible to bend one-handed, but I did have some success with other techniques today so it might be possible to save the chompers? Your wrap looks quite good btw, I think you might just need a bit longer and perhaps wider piece as you get to harder stuff.

For my wrap I used one piece of 10" x 10" suede, one piece because I thought it would be easier to wrap with one hand though that doesn't seem to be a problem for you. I bent a 1/4" thick 8"L, using my right hand I pushed one end into my right hamstring, in about the middle of the leg kind of the outside edge of the hamstring and I bent it using a reverse style motion with my right hand. Getting it close to 45 degrees I then put it on my upper right hip and crushed it down with my hand and oblique by bending over.

Might not make much sense just yet (search for reverse style bending that might help) I'll need to get some pics or video later on if this style seems to work. But for now it looks like I can do 1/4" steel pretty solidly with this style, next week I'll see if it holds up to some stuff a little harder.

Yes, that's exactly what it was.

Zinc Plated
It was quite tough as you saw. I made them in "roughly" 5" lengths. I also hurt the palm of my hand with that bend too. I'll definitely need to get thicker wraps. I'm wondering the same. I can get some more and try cutting them in 6" or 7" lengths and see if the length did have that much affect. I'd like to save my teeth... my wife threatened me already.. haha As for the wraps, I just followed what I've seen people do in videos. :)

Ok, I wasn't sure of the "proper" usage of the body. I have watched a lot of videos and I see people use their legs (inner thighs) to help close the rod more. I guess it's safe to assume I can use any part, not that I have much of a choice. I'll see about getting some suede. I figure my local hobby store should have some. Was your palm facing your hams or turned away from your hams?

I'll research the reverse style some more. I have the general idea and seen a few videos with it. I guess I need to save up and order a beginners kit from IM or somewhere. Would or could you suggest something?

Thanks for the help on this. It's tough starting out on something I've never done nor have anyone local to mentor me.

Michael

Guest Bullitt

That was awesome bending bro. It never fails to amaze me when somebody with the will to succeed puts his mind to something, he/she will find a way to get it done no matter what the obstacles. You have to find a way to do it without use the choppers though. Dental work is expensive! ;)

great job

That was awesome bending bro. It never fails to amaze me when somebody with the will to succeed puts his mind to something, he/she will find a way to get it done no matter what the obstacles. You have to find a way to do it without use the choppers though. Dental work is expensive! ;)

great job

Thanks man. Like I said before, I like doing things that others have said I could never do. :) It keeps me motivated.

Choppers need to be excluded from now one according to the boss (wife). Another incident like that, I WILL be totting an (__Y__) whopping. ;) (I'm just glad I'm on her dental plan. :P)

Thanks, more to come soon.

Michael

Ok, two more videos up. Both are with 3/16th rods again. One is roughy 6 inches or so and the other is about 5 inches or so. I was able to bend the longer one, but barely bent the shorter one. Maybe is the wrap? I'll try to get a better one this weekend.

Enjoy.

OneArmStrength

Michael

Michael, I'm very inspired by your desire to do the best with what you have, welcome aboard.

Don't bother getting a 1.5, it's a waste of money because there's not much difference between the #1 and #2 anyway, you'd be better off getting a #2 plus a 2.5. You'll likely close the #2 right away like Sam said, or get it shut with just a couple weeks of training. I realize you cannot set a gripper (in a traditional way at least), but your base hand strength appears to be good enough that it won't be as big of an issue for you as it would be for most.

You'll want to get a #3 pretty soon based on the way you killed the #1 in your videos, or at least try to meet someone with a #3 so you have an idea how hard it really is. When you get to the harder grippers, you will likely need to be creative and use something like an extended handle to assist setting/ negative reps. I'm not knowledgeable about grippers, but I'm sure someone will chime in when you get to the point where it is more of a struggle. You might be better off in the long run with a little less focus on grippers, but I realize they are the "gateway drug" to grip.

Edited by odin

Michael, I'm very inspired by your desire to do the best with what you have, welcome aboard.

Don't bother getting a 1.5, it's a waste of money because there's not much difference between the #1 and #2 anyway, you'd be better off getting a #2 plus a 2.5. You'll likely close the #2 right away like Sam said, or get it shut with just a couple weeks of training. I realize you cannot set a gripper (in a traditional way at least), but your base hand strength appears to be good enough that it won't be as big of an issue for you as it would be for most.

You'll want to get a #3 pretty soon based on the way you killed the #1 in your videos, or at least try to meet someone with a #3 so you have an idea how hard it really is. When you get to the harder grippers, you will likely need to be creative and use something like an extended handle to assist setting/ negative reps. I'm not knowledgeable about grippers, but I'm sure someone will chime in when you get to the point where it is more of a struggle. You might be better off in the long run with a little less focus on grippers, but I realize they are the "gateway drug" to grip.

Thank you so much. I don't want to be the best, I just want to show others (like myself) that they can do it as well. Hopefully I'm succeeding.

Well, I wish you would've posted that two days ago. :) I already made a commitment to buy one of a member here already. I'm going to stay true to my word. Besides, I might order the COC 10 gripper holder. :) I had almost ordered the #1 and #1.5 originally. I almost wish I had, but I'm also glad I didn't. I've been having to ween myself off of these grippers since I bought them. It's just so easy to pick them up and squeeze. (I only squeezed the T 3X8 today!)

I'm currently looking at getting the #2, #2.5 and #3 (I can taste the MM0 Cert.) soon. #1.5 and #2 next week most likely. Until then, I'll still be working out with the T and #1. I'm not sure there is anyone around here that would have a #3 or anything equivalent. I would ask someone on here if they'd allow me to borrow one, but I'm a new guy, I still need to gain trust of folks here.

I agree, grippers will be an issue later on I'm sure. It's going to be hard if possible (has it been done?) to no-set a #4 or anything like that. I'd REALLY like to get a few blobs and other gear for pinching and what not. The vbar looks like something I could get into as well. I definitely want a rolling thunder too. That looks like way to much fun.

I appreciate your honest feedback about the grippers. I believe you are spot on, but I'm still going for the MM0 and more after that. IM #3 cert for sure.

Glad to see the Boss persuaded you to stay away from the choppers. Awesome bend bro!

:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow

Yes, she can crack that wipe pretty well. :)

It was tough, but I was determined to get it. Weak in comparison to others here, but I need to start somewhere.

Thanks guys,

Michael

I have absolutely no doubt you'll get the MM0 and the IM cert if you want it bad enough. I am just anticipating that you may need some different tools to get there.

Well, you're already stronger than I was when I started. Keep it up :rock

Opps, I missed your post... :)

I think having one-arm for so many years gives me the advantage. ;)

Michael

You know, I didn't even think of that. Very good point, considering your hand is being worked that much harder.

You need to buy a Crusher!

Edited by Magnus

Does closing a #1 upside down count for much? No video, but I was playing around and closed it that way.

Michael

Well, you're already stronger than I was when I started. Keep it up :rock

Opps, I missed your post... :)

I think having one-arm for so many years gives me the advantage. ;)

Michael

You know, I didn't even think of that. Very good point, considering your hand is being worked that much harder.

You need to buy a Crusher!

I believe that it did help. This #1 is still tough. I'll look at the crusher. Googling it in a minute.

Michael

It's from FBBC...link's at the top of the page.

Edited by Magnus

It's from FBBC...link's at the top of the page.

Ahh, kinda looks like a Rolling Thunder from IM. It's on my list to purchase for sure.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Michael

Edited by mwhities

Congratulations on the inverted close of that #1. That's not easy ;) Your bends are also very inspiring, Michael!

I wouldn't get a Vulcan as it is very hard to TNS. Mine has a spread of 77mm (3.03"). For sure it depends on your handsize (I got 7.5" hands) but I can barely close it from TNS on the easiest level and that's easier than my #1. I guess you can't do anything wrong with some narrow RBs or BBs to train with.

Congratulations on the inverted close of that #1. That's not easy ;) Your bends are also very inspiring, Michael!

I wouldn't get a Vulcan as it is very hard to TNS. Mine has a spread of 77mm (3.03"). For sure it depends on your handsize (I got 7.5" hands) but I can barely close it from TNS on the easiest level and that's easier than my #1. I guess you can't do anything wrong with some narrow RBs or BBs to train with.

I was wondering if it was harder or not. (Well, it was, but I could close it. I'll get video tomorrow.) Bending is fun and my leg/hip is sore! :)

My hand is about 9". I think I'll stay with the COC's for now. I'll look into the RBs and BBs. I see some people use them for "inbetween" the #2s, #3s and #4.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Michael: i watched few minutes ago one of your last videos ... awesome man!

Thank you. Hopefully they will get better. :)

Michael

Edited by mwhities

I just sent an e-mail to FBBC in hopes of purchasing a few things. Crusher, hub, wraps, and benders bag (beginner). I think that's it...

Hopefully I can get those in soon and start gaining some serious strength for gripping and bending.

MM0 cert, here I come! :)

Michael

I like RBs and BBs a lot aswell. If you can afford it, get hold of some. You can get RB narrows aswell - these would be very useful for you as they have a narrower spread and are good for TNS.

Also, I'm curious about the vbar... I've read the discussion a little (skimmed it). Can anyone advise me on it for my usage? I figure I might be pretty good with it. Should I wait and maybe see how I do with the crusher?

Thanks for any advice.

Michael

Edited by mwhities