One-armed Grip Training.

mwhities

Good morning fellow grippers and pinchers. I started getting into gripping in the last few weeks. I've lurked on several boards and decided this one (for grip) is the one I wanted to be part of. Looks like there are a lot of great, helpful and powerful people on board. I've always been told to surround yourself with what you want to be. So here you are and here am I.

A little about myself. I'm 6' 6" and I float around 300lbs as of now. I only have one-arm and I can't clap. :) I live in Mississippi (Jackson area) with my wife Lesa and my son Tanner. I work as a systems administrator for the state of MS and I spend my day at work on boards like this one. (I do actually do work too. :P) I hate computers, I love my family, I enjoy working out and doing things outside. (No, I'm not applying for a date.) I'm also doing CrossFit WODs for my body. (I know I can dead lift quite a bit, but that was with straps a few (5?) years ago. I know I've lost a lot of strength. That's why I want to strengthen my grip.) I guess that's it, ask me if I forgot anything.

I've only really grip trained a few times and it was this last week or so. I have a couple videos I'll post and I ask for any comments or suggestions on them. I'm not sure how my grip strength compares to most people so, if you all could give me an idea on how it compares, I'd appreciate it.

I have just ordered a T and #1 COC grippers. I have a few small older weight plates to grip as well. I plan on purchasing a gripping block and a few other tools of the trade. (Looking in the classifieds for tools.)

So, off to the videos:

Quick look at my weights.

Gripping four dimes.

Gripping two quarters.

Again, please let me know how I might compare to others that had just started out themselves.

Michael

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mwhities

• rico300zx

• Paul Knight

• Adam Moyers

Welcome to the board, Michael! I hope you enjoy reading the board and have a great time training.

Welcome to the grip world! :) I have to applaud you for getting involved in the tiny sport/hobby of grip - it always needs more folks. You'll have to exclude certain things due to having one arm but fortunately most grip exercises only require one. I saw your intro post and Rex gave you some good advice on grippers. Good luck with the T & #1 when they arrive. You scored big time on the pawn shop plates - 170# for only $15, you can't beat that. I saw the sledge hammer in there with the weights - that's good for wrist exercises. Good job on pinching the 2-25s and 4-10s! Those are fitness plates with rounded edges which makes it a little harder.

I wouldn't worry too much about how your grip compares to most people. You're a big guy with a big hand and most likely you're well above the average non-grip person. Due to the fact that your one arm/hand has to do the work of two in daily life I'd bet it's stronger than average even without any specific training. Looking forward to watching your progress!

Now that's inspiring! Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the board, Michael! I hope you enjoy reading the board and have a great time training.

Thanks, I've really enjoyed reading the vast amount of materials here. I've enjoyed the little that I've done already.

Thanks again.

Welcome to "grip" mate

Thank you!

good luck withyour new favourite obsession

My wife says I'm extreme.. once I find something I really like, I go balls to the wall. I'm already pricing and planning to buy a lot more equipment. She just shake her head.

Welcome to the grip world! :) I have to applaud you for getting involved in the tiny sport/hobby of grip - it always needs more folks. You'll have to exclude certain things due to having one arm but fortunately most grip exercises only require one. I saw your intro post and Rex gave you some good advice on grippers. Good luck with the T & #1 when they arrive. You scored big time on the pawn shop plates - 170# for only $15, you can't beat that. I saw the sledge hammer in there with the weights - that's good for wrist exercises. Good job on pinching the 2-25s and 4-10s! Those are fitness plates with rounded edges which makes it a little harder.

I wouldn't worry too much about how your grip compares to most people. You're a big guy with a big hand and most likely you're well above the average non-grip person. Due to the fact that your one arm/hand has to do the work of two in daily life I'd bet it's stronger than average even without any specific training. Looking forward to watching your progress!

I'm glad to be here! Thank you, it's something I need and so far, something I enjoy. Well, from what I've seen, there's not much I'll have to exclude. I can do one-armed dead lifts, grips of all sorts, hammer raises (where you hold the hammer up and lean it toward your face)... I guess one would b e the forearm rotating exercises that require two hands. I'll think of something to replace that.

Yes, his advice was great. Definitely noted it and will keep it with me. Next Tuesday is when UPS said they'll arrive. I should've paid the extra 25 for two day. I'm impatient. :) The weights I felt were a great score too. I just passed by and said what the hell, I'll try and see if they have any. I called and he just had them forever and wanted to get rid of them. He was asking 125.00. I'm glad they are the "harder" ones. I figured with my luck, it'd be the completely wrong ones.

Ohh yeah, I forgot to mention the sledge hammer. It's an 8lbs sledge. I wanted to use it for strengthening my wrists, like you stated. I can't quite pick it up at the end and keep it level yet. I'm working on it.

That's what everyone says, since it's the only one I have, it should be a LOT stronger than most two armed people my size. Either way, I figure I have the bosy type to get super strengths going so, I'll just take my time and get to that point. ;)

Thanks again to all of you for the warm welcomes. I really like this forum and hope to be part of it for quite awhile.

Michael

Now that's inspiring! Welcome aboard!

I missed your post. Sorry.

Thanks, I hope to inspire other handicapped people and able bodied people as well. It's great to be here.

Michael

Hello.

and Hello to you too.

Man of many word I see. :P

Michael

Edited by mwhities

Welcome to the addiction Michael,Your gonna have a lot of fun. :cool

welcome aboard! my advice dont go too crazy at first, tennis elbow takes the whole summer to heal, well it did for me. you should start a LOG here like some of the guys have then people can follow your progress.

rico

Welcome! all the best! :)

you should get into some one arm chin-ups, funny enough the guy you should talk too is named Michael as well (Boneless bodyweight training thread) would be awesome if you could do some one arm chins, especially at 6'6.

Again,

good luck with your training i'll watch your progress

Edited by albalover

Welcome to the addiction Michael,Your gonna have a lot of fun. :cool

Thanks Charles, I already am having fun.

More today since it's a rest day for CrossFit. That means I get to grip and pinch!

Michael

welcome aboard! my advice dont go too crazy at first, tennis elbow takes the whole summer to heal, well it did for me. you should start a LOG here like some of the guys have then people can follow your progress.

rico

Thanks!

I'm going to take it easy as you suggested. I'm all to familiar with getting into things to fast and getting hurt. I'll definitely take my time.

That's what this thread is going to be, my work out log for grip and pinch.

If you or anyone has tips, suggestions or more comments on what to do and start out with, please do so.

Welcome! all the best! :)

you should get into some one arm chin-ups, funny enough the guy you should talk too is named Michael as well (Boneless bodyweight training thread) would be awesome if you could do some one arm chins, especially at 6'6.

Again,

good luck with your training i'll watch your progress

It's been great, thanks for the welcome!

That's actually my goal, drop weight, gain strength and do a one-arm pull-up/chin-up. :) I'm doing CrossFit to drop the weight and grip/pinch to get my hand strength up so I can hold myself up on the bar. :)

I appreciate you watching, anything you can advice, I'll appreciate it.

Michael

I need to ask and I'm tired of looking and I'll probably feel like an idiot....

Where can I find (if any) local grip/pinch/whatever contests around my area. I know I might have to travel out of state but, I can't go more than one state away. So, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama or the states I can get to.

Thanks,

Michael

Nice to "meet" you. Keep training hard!

Nice to "meet" you. Keep training hard!

Ha! Hey Jedd, great to meet you too.

I'll keep it up. I gotta be a bad (__Y__) like you. *refers to: "Sponsor, COC, MM Level 2, & Grand Bastard"" :)

Michael

I only have one-arm and I can't clap. :)

Close your hand real fast, it will make like a clapping sound :P

Welcome, you've come to the right place! Looks like you're off to a good start. If you can figure out a way to do one-armed bending that could be a sweet feat.

Good luck with the x-fit too.

Welcome to the board. Good luck with your training :rock

Thank you... I hope to do well. :)

Close your hand real fast, it will make like a clapping sound :P

Welcome, you've come to the right place! Looks like you're off to a good start. If you can figure out a way to do one-armed bending that could be a sweet feat.

Good luck with the x-fit too.

Sorry, clarification... I can't clap with both hands. ;)

It appears as though. I'm enjoying reading through the threads.

Well, I was going to save that for later, but I wanted to ask about it. If I can figure out a way to do it and actually do it, would it count as a legit bend in comprising to two handed bends? It's something I might be interested in pursuing.

Michael

Well, I was going to save that for later, but I wanted to ask about it. If I can figure out a way to do it and actually do it, would it count as a legit bend in comprising to two handed bends? It's something I might be interested in pursuing.

Michael

One-arm bending I'm assuming would have to be braced, that is pressed against another part of your body, against the ground or maybe in your mouth. So long steel braced bending, like 12" or longer, braced against the knee or started in the mouth should still count as long as you don't use the ground. Short steel bending I think wouldn't really be as comparable, as most are not bracing short steel. I think the difficulty of a one armed bend would make it an impressive feat on its own though. A one armed 60d bend would be very cool to see and I think others might get into trying it.

Michael

One-arm bending I'm assuming would have to be braced, that is pressed against another part of your body, against the ground or maybe in your mouth. So long steel braced bending, like 12" or longer, braced against the knee or started in the mouth should still count as long as you don't use the ground. Short steel bending I think wouldn't really be as comparable, as most are not bracing short steel. I think the difficulty of a one armed bend would make it an impressive feat on its own though. A one armed 60d bend would be very cool to see and I think others might get into trying it.

Maybe someone can't get me in contact with someone who would know what the rules are on it.

Thanks for the insight. :)

Michael

Added a few videos. I usually have no time to work out until after 8:30 or 9 PM so, it's a little dark here, thus my video is a little dark.

I'll only add one link, but you can see the last four videos (17,18,19,20)

25lbs Plate Curl

Thanks,

Michael

I'm interested in possibly getting MM0 certified. It says I need a #3 of any grip (right?). It'll be a next month or so before I could purchase anything else for working out. Would anyone be willing to loan me a #3 (if I can even do it) to try and get the cert.

Or am I thinking to fast. Maybe I should wait to see how I do with my T and #1 COCs.... either way, am I right on that?

Michael