One-armed Grip Training.

mwhities

I'm interested in possibly getting MM0 certified. It says I need a #3 of any grip (right?). It'll be a next month or so before I could purchase anything else for working out. Would anyone be willing to loan me a #3 (if I can even do it) to try and get the cert.

Or am I thinking to fast. Maybe I should wait to see how I do with my T and #1 COCs.... either way, am I right on that?

Michael

I'd hold off on trying to get your hands on a #3 just yet. Not trying to discourage you, but the odds of getting MM0 status in just a few weeks or months is rather low. There are some that have done it in short order (you might be one of those) but see how you fair on the #1 first. If you're able to crank out 40 or 50 reps on the #1 then the #3 might not be far away. If the #1 seems difficult to you (and you can't close it or can only get a couple reps) then you'll be better off working your way towards the #3 with smaller steps - #1.5, #2, #2.5.

Nice work getting the 25# plate curl! I watched your videos and you're figuring out some exercises you can do with the equipment you have - that's great. Using the dumbbell bar as a leverage bar will work. If the area you're holding it is uncomfortable you can wrap it with a piece of cloth or leather. I'm not sure if you've browsed the gripfaq site yet but Scott Styles (a member here) made it and it's well done with lots of info/images/videos. The Wrist section should give you some more ideas of stuff you can do with the leverage bar and sledge hammer.

Good luck! :)

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mwhities

• rico300zx

• Paul Knight

• Adam Moyers

I'd hold off on trying to get your hands on a #3 just yet. Not trying to discourage you, but the odds of getting MM0 status in just a few weeks or months is rather low. There are some that have done it in short order (you might be one of those) but see how you fair on the #1 first. If you're able to crank out 40 or 50 reps on the #1 then the #3 might not be far away. If the #1 seems difficult to you (and you can't close it or can only get a couple reps) then you'll be better off working your way towards the #3 with smaller steps - #1.5, #2, #2.5.

Nice work getting the 25# plate curl! I watched your videos and you're figuring out some exercises you can do with the equipment you have - that's great. Using the dumbbell bar as a leverage bar will work. If the area you're holding it is uncomfortable you can wrap it with a piece of cloth or leather. I'm not sure if you've browsed the gripfaq site yet but Scott Styles (a member here) made it and it's well done with lots of info/images/videos. The Wrist section should give you some more ideas of stuff you can do with the leverage bar and sledge hammer.

Good luck! :)

I agree. :) I read up on it more and I might not be anywhere close to even closing the #1. Should be here Tuesday next week. Can't wait.

Thanks on the curl. I really have no idea if that's good or the norm. It gets a little tough, so I figure I'd stay at that weight for a few weeks and then start adding a 2.5 or 5lbser.

I've seen that site before, but I lost it and never really looked for/at it again. I bookmarked it this time though. I'll check the whole site out. Thanks.

I need to see about creating a work out for grip. At least with what I have. I'm going to read through more of the work out logs and see what everyone else is doing and then try to figure out what will work for me.

Thanks again.

Michael

I see I'll be doing the "No Set Close" option. My hand is pretty big and longish, so hopefully I can set it up properly with it.

Michael

mike

here is a cheap workout. 1 bucket, 1 bag playsand. thrust into it and open and close make sure all your fingers feel the burn. 10 to 20 reps. it helped me close the #3. also try onearm clean and jerk, see my video. this is my favorite impress everyone at the gym lift, mainly beacause none of the shit talkers can do it. get good and every one will think WOW

rico

I only have one-arm and I can't clap. :)

Close your hand real fast, it will make like a clapping sound :P

Welcome, you've come to the right place! Looks like you're off to a good start. If you can figure out a way to do one-armed bending that could be a sweet feat.

Good luck with the x-fit too.

Now that has my creative juices flowing. I'll have to see what i can come up with! If your interested that is.

mike

here is a cheap workout. 1 bucket, 1 bag playsand. thrust into it and open and close make sure all your fingers feel the burn. 10 to 20 reps. it helped me close the #3. also try onearm clean and jerk, see my video. this is my favorite impress everyone at the gym lift, mainly beacause none of the shit talkers can do it. get good and every one will think WOW

rico

Very cool. I watched that somewhere the other day. Guys were shoving their hands in the bucket (sand/rice?) and doing something... open and close or "squeeze" a hand full.

Great lifting. I think I'll try that with the bar first. hehe. The video rocks. Saved to my bookmarks. :)

Now that has my creative juices flowing. I'll have to see what i can come up with! If your interested that is.

I'm up for it if you are. Tell me what to get and or send me to links. I'm always interested in doing things I was told I couldn't or can't do. Let me have it.

Michael

Welcome Michael! :)

I admire your determination. ;)

All the best in your training!!! :)

Mighty Joe

Welcome Michael! :)

I admire your determination. ;)

All the best in your training!!! :)

Mighty Joe

Thanks Might Joe. My wife supports this more than any other hobby. To her, it seems cheaper so far... "Two grip thingies for 40? Sounds good to me!". She just doesn't know about the next 4 or 5 I'll be getting. By far though, it's WAY cheaper than scuba diving. (I'm selling my dive gear to buy weights and grippers, etc... Traveling alone to dive could buy all the grippers I could ever handle.)

Thanks, I'll do my best to be beasts like all of you. :)

Michael

Well, I was going to save that for later, but I wanted to ask about it. If I can figure out a way to do it and actually do it, would it count as a legit bend in comprising to two handed bends? It's something I might be interested in pursuing.

Michael

One-arm bending I'm assuming would have to be braced, that is pressed against another part of your body, against the ground or maybe in your mouth. So long steel braced bending, like 12" or longer, braced against the knee or started in the mouth should still count as long as you don't use the ground. Short steel bending I think wouldn't really be as comparable, as most are not bracing short steel. I think the difficulty of a one armed bend would make it an impressive feat on its own though. A one armed 60d bend would be very cool to see and I think others might get into trying it.

Maybe someone can't get me in contact with someone who would know what the rules are on it.

Thanks for the insight. :)

Michael

Try asking Eric Milfield (I almost typed Eric Morambe there! :blush ), he runs the bending forum.

almost pissed.

your numbers are a great base and show you could go very far if you stick with it.

If you can figure out a way to do one-armed bending that could be a sweet feat.

I worked on it a bit last thursday, I'll probably keep screwing around once a week or so until a technique comes up. Its very slippery trying to post on a hip or knee, but I am sure there is a way.

Well, I was going to save that for later, but I wanted to ask about it. If I can figure out a way to do it and actually do it, would it count as a legit bend in comprising to two handed bends? It's something I might be interested in pursuing.

Michael

One-arm bending I'm assuming would have to be braced, that is pressed against another part of your body, against the ground or maybe in your mouth. So long steel braced bending, like 12" or longer, braced against the knee or started in the mouth should still count as long as you don't use the ground. Short steel bending I think wouldn't really be as comparable, as most are not bracing short steel. I think the difficulty of a one armed bend would make it an impressive feat on its own though. A one armed 60d bend would be very cool to see and I think others might get into trying it.

Maybe someone can't get me in contact with someone who would know what the rules are on it.

Thanks for the insight. :)

Michael

Try asking Eric Milfield (I almost typed Eric Morambe there! :blush ), he runs the bending forum.

I'll do that. Thank you.

almost pissed.

your numbers are a great base and show you could go very far if you stick with it.

Your pants? :)

I appreciate it. My COCs come in tomorrow!

If you can figure out a way to do one-armed bending that could be a sweet feat.

I worked on it a bit last thursday, I'll probably keep screwing around once a week or so until a technique comes up. Its very slippery trying to post on a hip or knee, but I am sure there is a way.

I guess I'd need to buy some bending gear. What do you all just that would be easy to bend? :)

I appreciate you trying things out. I bet I could find a technique if I had the right tools.

Let me know what I need to get.

Michael

mike

rico

I just picked up two 5-gallon buckets. I'll get sand tonight after work and I'll try this tonight. (Maybe.) I helped my dad split wood all day yesterday. My forearm is TIGHT and sore right now. I might wait another day as my COCs are coming in tomorrow and I need to have strength enough to smash the #1 dead. :)

Thanks,

Michael

cool

you also can grab a handfull of sand and crush it till it all drains out. i do reps and sets like this. just remember its not a race. this is something we all enjoy and should be able to do for years to come. injury free if we listen to our bodies

rico

cool

you also can grab a handfull of sand and crush it till it all drains out. i do reps and sets like this. just remember its not a race. this is something we all enjoy and should be able to do for years to come. injury free if we listen to our bodies

rico

I'll definitely start doing that as well.

Suggestions for anything else work out wise, please feel free to comment.

Michael

Edited by mwhities

I'm interested in the challenge of adapting some equipment to a 1 armed gripster. I'm thinking some form of ratcheting wrist roller. If there's anything you really want, email me sometime.

John

I'm interested in the challenge of adapting some equipment to a 1 armed gripster. I'm thinking some form of ratcheting wrist roller. If there's anything you really want, email me sometime.

John

John,

Thanks! I'm not to sure what could/would be customized. I always liked the wrist rollers, just can't do them. That night be an option. I'll fire you off an e-mail and we can (you mostly) think of stuff to modify.

This is great! I'll be your guinea pig. :)

Michael

Edited by mwhities

For steel bending, I think some 3/16 diameter steel (glorified coathanger) could be in order, at least until we figure out a technique for the bigger stuff. Hammer levering could also help get the hands and wrists ready for bending.

For steel bending, I think some 3/16 diameter steel (glorified coathanger) could be in order, at least until we figure out a technique for the bigger stuff. Hammer levering could also help get the hands and wrists ready for bending.

Any recommendations on where to get it locally? Would some place like Home Depot or an Ace Hardware or something carry it?

I'm currently working with the hammering levering. Starting in the middle of the 8lbs sledge for now. I'll slowly move back on the handle. I watched all the videos on gripfaq and implementing them.

Sorry to be so ignorant...

Michael

Edited by mwhities

Yes, home depot and ace should both carry 3/16, you will need something to cut it with (bolt cutters) or you can have them cut it at the store (home depot employees will cut it for you, ace depends on where you go) HD actually has a chain cutter that works fine, nobody has bothered me even though it says "employees only". Leather is best for padding, to help protect your hands and wherever you brace it against, fat bastard sells some as well as hobby lobby and a few other sources, but for starters you can even use an old washcloth if you are careful. The 3/16 really is thin easy stuff, and you should have it cut into 8" - 5" lengths, but one handed it will help us figure out a technique that will work.

Yes, home depot and ace should both carry 3/16, you will need something to cut it with (bolt cutters) or you can have them cut it at the store (home depot employees will cut it for you, ace depends on where you go) HD actually has a chain cutter that works fine, nobody has bothered me even though it says "employees only". Leather is best for padding, to help protect your hands and wherever you brace it against, fat bastard sells some as well as hobby lobby and a few other sources, but for starters you can even use an old washcloth if you are careful. The 3/16 really is thin easy stuff, and you should have it cut into 8" - 5" lengths, but one handed it will help us figure out a technique that will work.

Very cool. I'm about to head to HD to get some sand and I'll look for the 3/16th rod too. I believe I have some old leather straps. I'll see if I can find it and make a few pads out of it.

Thanks again.

Michael

So I bought two 3' pieces of 3/16 rod. I didn't get a chance to cut them since I had my son with me and I was busy chasing him around the store. I'll go to my brother-in-laws tonight and use his bolt cutters to cut 5" to 8" pieces.

I couldn't find my leather strap so, I'll need to find something else. Would anyone have an old setup to sell, cheap? :) (Or at least point me to a website that has some.)

My COC's are scheduled to be delivered today, but the UPS tracking says it's here:

MESQUITE, TX, US 04/11/2009 1:02 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN

Nothing else posted since that day. So, I'm kinda scared that it won't be in today.

I brought my camera to work so I can film myself opening up the T COC and hopefully closing it. I'll try the #1 if I close the T easily. If not, I'll leave it packaged until I can close the T really well. :) (I'm on this filming kick now. :P)

I also bought sand for my 5 gallon bucket. I'll be working out with that quite a bit as well.

Thanks again for all the suggestions everyone.

Michael

Edited by mwhities

So I bought two 3' pieces of 3/16 rod. I didn't get a chance to cut them since I had my son with me and I was busy chasing him around the store. I'll go to my brother-in-laws tonight and use his bolt cutters to cut 5" to 8" pieces.

I couldn't find my leather strap so, I'll need to find something else. Would anyone have an old setup to sell, cheap? :) (Or at least point me to a website that has some.)

My COC's are scheduled to be delivered today, but the UPS tracking says it's here:

MESQUITE, TX, US 04/11/2009 1:02 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN

Nothing else posted since that day. So, I'm kinda scared that it won't be in today.

I brought my camera to work so I can film myself opening up the T COC and hopefully closing it. I'll try the #1 if I close the T easily. If not, I'll leave it packaged until I can close the T really well. :) (I'm on this filming kick now. :P)

I also bought sand for my 5 gallon bucket. I'll be working out with that quite a bit as well.

Thanks again for all the suggestions everyone.

Michael

Cool! It looks like you are really going for it! plus chasing your son around the store sounds like a good aerobic workout :)