Frank's Log

Magnus

Sup Frank ... haven't read your whole lost but noticed a post about inch training .. thumbless work w/148 and 158 w/thumb ... what are you using to train with? do you have a baby inch or RT or what? thanks

Sup Frank ... haven't read your whole lost but noticed a post about inch training .. thumbless work w/148 and 158 w/thumb ... what are you using to train with? do you have a baby inch or RT or what? thanks

I use this:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=9157

2-3/8" handle. I've also got a lock for it so I can cinch all the plates together into one mass. My best pull (w/thumb) on it with locked plates is 172lb. I got it on video but never posted it.

Hey bud how does your lock work exactly?

Rico

Hey bud how does your lock work exactly?

Rico

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=8892

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=8891

That goes through the entire length of the handle, and is the same setup on both sides. Tighten the nut on both ends and it pulls the plates together really tight.

Of coarse, to make it work, you've gotta use a certain combo of plates for any given weight so it's within the range of travel on the lock.

I use this:

2-3/8" handle. I've also got a lock for it so I can cinch all the plates together into one mass. My best pull (w/thumb) on it with locked plates is 172lb. I got it on video but never posted it.

wow! very cool tool!

did you play with Jedd's inch while at his house?

You should post the vid in here, I'd like to check it out.

I would like to have something like that ... was it a pain to make? and how much did the materials cost?

I use this:

wow! very cool tool!

did you play with Jedd's inch while at his house?

You should post the vid in here, I'd like to check it out.

I would like to have something like that ... was it a pain to make? and how much did the materials cost?

Thanks, Paul!

Yeah, I've messed with it. My first attempt when I was there the first time was the best one. The day of the qualifier I barely moved it.

It didn't cost me anything...I just used stuff we had around the garage. Wasn't too bad to make. The only thing that was a challenge was coming up with a setup to keep the middle pipe centered through the handle, which was tough because of the size difference. I should post a pic of that, too. If I had it to do over again, I would make locking collars instead of that middle thing, though, because you've gotta figure out which combo of plates you have to use to get a certain weight and still get it to lock.

I'll look for the video now.

Overcrushed the crap outta my BBE today. Did more overcrushes and reps with the #3 after that. Gotta get my crush strength back up.

Friday, 9/11/9

Dumbbell (Kroc) rows:

No straps (don't own any)

112 x 10

202 x 8 - PR

Nothin' but a peanut.

Barbell rows:

Lats pretty well kicked after the ME rows

264 x 5

264 x 5

264 x 5

Edited by Magnus

Really good gripper day, finally. Strength is almost back 100%. Got 3 parallel reps on my 172lb BBE, came back a few minutes later and got 12 parallel reps on my #3, which is a PR. I'm 100% convinced that heavy rows increase gripper strength...for me, anyway.

That Inch Trainer is pretty sweet Frank, very creative!

Thanks, Jon. I also discovered that if I only load one end, it makes a decent poor mans 2-3/8" v-bar :D

Monday, 9/14/09

Barbell curls:

176 x 6

176 x 6

176 x 4, +1 single

Narrow grip EZ bar curls, drop sets:

122 x 8/112 x 8/102 x 8

122 x 8/112 x 8/102 x 8

Benchpress:

Took it easy today. I already did some heavy benching on Friday night (300lb for reps).

115 x 10

215 x 5

215 x 5

215 x 10

Incline DB bench:

100 x 8

100 x 8

Grippers

Right:

HG200 x 10

HG200 x 10

#3 x 5

#3 x 8

BBE x 1 + overcrush - EASY

BBE x 1 paused set

#3 x 1 paused set

Filed HG300 x 4 BFNs

#3 x 5

Remounted HG250 x a few TNS closes

Left:

HG200 x 10

HG200 x 10

#3 x 3 + 2 forced

#3 x 6 + 2 forced

BBE - BARELY missed...held it at ~1mm for a while

BBE x another 1mm miss + 3 BFNs

#3 x 1 paused set and overcrush

Filed HG300 x 4 BFNs

#3 x a few mini reps

Remounted HG250 x a few TNS closes

Wednesday, 9/16/09

Last training day before GGC

Deadlifts:

360 x 12 singles, 1min rest between each

Grippers:

Taking it easy today

Right - #3 x 1, #3 x 1, BBE x 1, BBE x 1, #3.5 x 1, #3 x 1 CCS, #3 x 1

Left - #3 x 1, #3 x 1, BBE x 1, BBE x VVN, #3.5 x 1, #3 x 1 CCS, #3 x 1

2hp, 2-10s width

122 x 1 for warm-up

182 x 1 - only 2lb short of my PR on the Euro! When I was pulling 184 on the Euro, I was doing about 168 on this setup, so it should be interesting to see where this got me.

Wednesday, 9/16/09

Last training day before GGC

Deadlifts:

360 x 12 singles, 1min rest between each

Grippers:

Taking it easy today

Right - #3 x 1, #3 x 1, BBE x 1, BBE x 1, #3.5 x 1, #3 x 1 CCS, #3 x 1

Left - #3 x 1, #3 x 1, BBE x 1, BBE x VVN, #3.5 x 1, #3 x 1 CCS, #3 x 1

2hp, 2-10s width

122 x 1 for warm-up

182 x 1 - only 2lb short of my PR on the Euro! When I was pulling 184 on the Euro, I was doing about 168 on this setup, so it should be interesting to see where this got me.

Strong stuff Frank. I may have to Galooly you before the contest. Problem is, which arm do I have my henchman hit with the pipe? They are both so dang strong! :rock

I think I've asked you this before, but I forgot :rolleyes ... What does BFN stand for? and now also VVN ... haven't seen that one before.

I think I've asked you this before, but I forgot :rolleyes ... What does BFN stand for? and now also VVN ... haven't seen that one before.

Are you serious? :laugh BFN = bounce forced negative.

VVN is one I borrowed from Mobster..."Very very near" :D

I know right?

VVN makes sense, but I'm still not sure what a bounced forced neg is ........ I know what a damn neg is, but don't get the bounce part ... is it where you force the gripper shut and try to hold it, but when it opens up a little you bounce it shut again over and over?

sorry Frank, I'm a newbie and don't know much about grippers :laugh

I know right?

VVN makes sense, but I'm still not sure what a bounced forced neg is ........ I know what a damn neg is, but don't get the bounce part ... is it where you force the gripper shut and try to hold it, but when it opens up a little you bounce it shut again over and over?

Faggage. :dry

:laugh you crack me up Chris

I know right?

Yep, you got it. I like doing them with my goal grippers, but What I also do alot of the time is do it with a gripper I can already close for low reps. Rep out with it, and then when I get too fatigued, continue to BFN rep it.

VVN is about a 1mm miss, for reference :D

I know right?

Yep, you got it. I like doing them with my goal grippers, but What I also do alot of the time is do it with a gripper I can already close for low reps. Rep out with it, and then when I get too fatigued, continue to BFN rep it.

VVN is about a 1mm miss, for reference :D

Thanks Franky ... can I call you that? :tongue

Sure, Pauly :tongue

Monday, 9/21/09

Last minute workout. Pfffft. Forearms still pretty beat from GGC.

Incline narrow grip benchpress:

215 x 5

215 x 5

215 x 5

215 x 5

215 x 5

Thursday, 9/24/09

Very light training day. Grip is down from comp as expected, but I also came down with a nasty cold (heh, who hasn't), so diet has gone completely to pot. Feeling a little better today, so I did some very light stuff just to get back in the groove.

#3 x a few singles, both hands (threw a few reps in, too)

Inch handle up to 166lb, both hands

2hp (2-10s setup again) - miss at 182lb. I've figured out so far that any weight on this setup is good for anywhere from 16-22lb more on the Euro. My best on this setup a few days before the comp was 182, and my best on the Euro was 203.9 at the comp.

TTK - 10lb x 10, both hands

Going on vacation tomorrow. Gonna be gone for 10 days, so not gonna be getting too much lifting done. Taking the grippers with me, though.

On vacation. Only thing I've been able to train is grippers. Don't wanna think about what 2+ weeks off will have done to my numbers. Been eating pretty much all junk food. Somehow dropped some body fat, though :blink ???? Whatever.

This was from yesterday. Short workout. In the car :D

#3 x 8 left hand

#3 x 5 right hand + 1 single on the BBE

A ton of TNS closes on the 250 after that.

This is from yesterday. Forgot to log it.

Right hand - BBE x 10sec overcrush, BBE x 1

Left hand - BBE x attempt + 10sec hold at the point, another attempt

Forget what I did after that.