• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Natural

• climber511

• MalachiMcMullen

• Bob Lipinski

If we went down the route of some fair bar size test before events you can add that to the 9+ hours we had recently for the lack of a rising bar because that was also 'fair'. I've said it before, other Iron Game feds have been before us - let us learn from their mistakes and use their failings and successes. You don't see these issues because they've already had them.

I might ask a few to look at how old time strongmen used to use differing handle sizes on their equipment to catch our or test others who were not prepared. We know the sizes of equipment, we can train to be better, do we really need to make it more difficult to set up a competition before hand by faffing around measuring hands?

Jedd, have sent PM ;)

Big guy, Got it and hit you back. Thanks for the PM!

Hubbing: do you train it? Seems like Casey hits it pretty hard? We'll see what Dave T pulls at MGC and find out. Wade seems to be alright at it as well as Shaw.

Grippers: you're not even close. Paul Knight: large hands, Chad: large hands, Dave Morton: large hands, Shane Larson: large hands, Rob V: large hands, Mobster: large hands, Jedd: large hands, of those guys, only Mobster doesn't set to parallel. TNS is not a good test of crushing grip unless the guys have the same size hands. Are you saying you could beat said individual at the chokered grippers if you were allowed to let the choker out some? I have my doubts.

Wade mentioned 1" vbar: huh??? Have you actually tried this lift? The longer the fingers the better. Jim Wylie anyone??

Short bending: wrong again. Jedd demonstrated why at Gripmas for reverse and with DO, the bigger handed guys can interlace the fingers quicker.

Josh,

If I said that having longer arms helps for the deadlift, it wouldn't matter if you produced ten thousand champion deadlifters with normal or short length arms. I'll go further and say that if every deadlifter of any fame to ever live had short arms, it wouldn't be any evidence against the claim. It's just a matter of physics--less range of motion is better. It's like the claim that, other things being equal, short bridges are less prone to collapse compared to very long bridges. If every bridge to ever collapse in the world was short, the engineer wouldn't come to doubt the claim or wonder if physics might be all wrong.

So instead of playing the name-game, which is not useful anyway in a sport with such a small sample size, I suggest we just look at things from an anatomical perspective. For hubbing, smaller handed guys have more surface contact. More surface contact is better for gripping. End of story. For grippers, a very large hand is asked to generate power within a range of motion at which the hand is weaker, compared to a smaller hand (it may help to imagine the handles of a gripper each becoming an inch and a half thick. If THAT happened, then the smaller handed guy would be operating in a disadvantageous range for the final bit of close, while the large handed guy would be operating in a better range).

-Rex

Both of your anatomical/physics claims are incorrect though which is the whole problem. For example, why do you think smaller handed guys have more surface contact? The hub doesn't change so if it's 2" deep then the small handed guy can get 2" worth of finger length on there and so can the large handed guy. However, most large handed guys, not all but most, have much thicker digits than the small handed guys, which means they and not the small handed guys have more surface area. Also, if you want to bring surface area into this, 2HP becomes another favored event for the large handed guys. As for the grippers, what about all the advantage the large handed guy has on setting it? For example, I can't event do the Paul Knight knuckle set on a certain adjustable gripper that moderators like to delete, much over L13 because my hand isn't long enough. It's supposed to be a stronger set and it's a weaker set for me. I can't set anywhere near the grippers I can my normal way. Also they could put it further forward and still hit parallel, it doesn't take as much strength because they can wrap their fingers much sooner, etc.. I also don't agree with the range example. If I was trying to close a gripper with 1/4" handles it would be pretty tough because my own fingers would get in the way. To beat that I would just set it further forward in my hand, which is an advantage, not a disadvantage. BTW with the exception of Mark Felix or maybe a Cleve Dean, I haven't seen anybody out there that couldn't beat this supposed disadvantage on the last bit by setting it further forward. To clarify; you need GIGANTIC hands, not large hands and they better be long fingers as well. If you're doing the IM pinch close set then I can't help you. The name-game, as you call it, was meant to provide real world evidence instead of turning this into a "I'm right because I say so".

• 1 month later...