Grip Strength Nationals

Jedd Johnson

We had this exact same discussion, pretty much word for word, a couple, 6 or so, months ago and nothing got done in the end because of people's attitudes as Wade described of protection of the sport. Clearly this would make you wrong Zach as personally, I don't think attitudes have changed that drastically over the last few months.

Personally, as Chris said as long as this remains a grip strength contest and we don't shift towards Rex's way of thinking I'm all for a Nationalized Organization. However the reason this worked so well for the Brits is because obviously their population of gripsters is much smaller and likewise for their nation size. This means much fewer conflicting interests and bickering friends. This would obviously be very likely to occur with any sort of USHSA. So if this is to be done we need stark rules and a governing body paired with experienced promoters and 90+% membership on the board of experienced US people. There also should be a hierarchy, not a democracy per se. In other words complete newbies shouldn't have much of a say in how contests are run and how rules are done, unless they are ok'd to run their own contest of course. Hybrid comps will obviously be allowed, but their must be some sort of framework around keeping it grip related and keeping the main principles (thickbar, pinch, grippers, etc.) and away from WSM with some slightly more grip related twinges to it. These are just my opinions, but hell maybe I'll be listened to this time as opposed to the last conversation on this topic :rolleyes

:rolleyes Is Aaron afraid of competition? Chad? Jedd? Dave? Bob? Chris? Brent? Anybody? You? I beg to differ my friend.

What exactly is "Rex's way of thinking?" If you take that to mean what I think you do, change it to "Rex and Zach's way of thinking."

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Natural

• climber511

• MalachiMcMullen

• Bob Lipinski

We had this exact same discussion, pretty much word for word, a couple, 6 or so, months ago and nothing got done in the end because of people's attitudes as Wade described of protection of the sport. Clearly this would make you wrong Zach as personally, I don't think attitudes have changed that drastically over the last few months.

Personally, as Chris said as long as this remains a grip strength contest and we don't shift towards Rex's way of thinking I'm all for a Nationalized Organization. However the reason this worked so well for the Brits is because obviously their population of gripsters is much smaller and likewise for their nation size. This means much fewer conflicting interests and bickering friends. This would obviously be very likely to occur with any sort of USHSA. So if this is to be done we need stark rules and a governing body paired with experienced promoters and 90+% membership on the board of experienced US people. There also should be a hierarchy, not a democracy per se. In other words complete newbies shouldn't have much of a say in how contests are run and how rules are done, unless they are ok'd to run their own contest of course. Hybrid comps will obviously be allowed, but their must be some sort of framework around keeping it grip related and keeping the main principles (thickbar, pinch, grippers, etc.) and away from WSM with some slightly more grip related twinges to it. These are just my opinions, but hell maybe I'll be listened to this time as opposed to the last conversation on this topic :rolleyes

:rolleyes Is Aaron afraid of competition? Chad? Jedd? Dave? Bob? Chris? Brent? Anybody? You? I beg to differ my friend.

What exactly is "Rex's way of thinking?" If you take that to mean what I think you do, change it to "Rex and Zach's way of thinking."

Me? Absolutely :tongue My point was that mindsets haven't changed that much in the last 6 months that I think this plan will turn out any different. History will repeat itself if you don't learn from the past. This conversation is pretty much verbatim, the same as it was back then and our plans have been nearly identical as well. Change things or it will continue to not work.

That's too long to type, I prefer to keep it Rex's, besides its not like you two are the only two anyway, Rex is just far and away the most vocal so he's the easiest to take shots at.

Bingo! Anyone that goes to a contest and competes is not afraid of competing, or they would stay at home in the comfort of their easy chair.

I would like to put forth a little scenario for consideration. One of the people I think everyone would like to see in a Grip Comp is Phil Phister. He lives in West Virginia and is within reasonable driving distance of SC – Pa, and Ohio for example but also is used to traveling all over to compete. Now let’s say Chris Rice calls him

Chris - Hey Phil, I’m having this Grip Strength contest in my garage and would like to invite you. Being the nice guy is has always been to me in the past – we’ll even say he doesn’t hang up on me.

Phil – “hey I’m not real familiar with it – where can I go to find out all the rules etc.

Chris – well if you go to the GripBoard and look around for a couple hours you can probably find out most of them. We don’t really have a website, or a governing body with all the rules or anything but man it would sure be nice if you could come.

Phil – still being nice – “well I’ll think about it and let you know”

Chris – when would be a good time to check back with you.

Phil – Well I move around a lot – how about if I call you.

OR

Wade calls Phil

Wade – Hey buddy, what’s up?

Phil – not much, how’s things going (some short chit chat).

Wade – the reason I called is the US Grip Strength organization is thinking about putting on a grip contest at one of the major Expos this year – wondered if you might be interested in competing? I’ll send you a link to our website – it will show you all the rules and regulations we work under and will provide you with an overview of the contest we’re thinking about.

Phil – sounds like something I might enjoy – let me check that out and look at my Strongman schedule and I’ll call you back tomorrow if I have any questions. (some more chit chat)

Any questions?

Chris, not sure if your comment is aimed at me or not but I think most USA guys on this board want this to happen, it's just a matter of whether or not we can get organized enough and get the rules so that everyone (or as close to that as we can) will agree on them.

Chris, not sure if your comment is aimed at me or not but I think most USA guys on this board want this to happen, it's just a matter of whether or not we can get organized enough and get the rules so that everyone (or as close to that as we can) will agree on them.

Derek - Had nothing to do with you buddy - just an attempt to show an example of where we are and where I would like to see us - and the people I think we need to have involved to help get us there.

Edited by climber511

I would like to add my 2 cents, if anyone cares. I was one of the first grip contest promoters back in 2003, and I competing in GGC in 04'.

In 03' I had some of the best talent out there. The Vigeants, McGranahan, Heslup, Jedder, Mannino, Morton, etc. I held it at my house. Those of you who have been here know that Towanda is a major city compare to where I live. The closest airport is a 2 hour drive. The Vigeants flew in and then drove to my house, following paper signs on sticks stuck in the mud. They stayed at a shitty motel and some camped in my backyard. McMillan came all the way from Canada eh!

No one bitched about it being in the sticks, they just showed up and competed. I never once thought maybe I should move the venue cause my house was the logical place for me. Garage full of weights/grip tools, roasted pig, keg on ice, and we had a grip contest.

Sometimes I think people take sport way tooooooo seriously. This is supposed to be fun boys, first and foremost! Start treating it like a job and you are going to hate it in the end.

GGC is Jedd's baby. He reserves the right to hold it where ever he wants to hold it. Look at Louie's PRO-AMs. He holds them in Ohio. He has lifters from all over the world come and compete. Sure, he could take it to a more central location, but he doesnt have to. He is the promoter, why should the promoter be put at a disadvantage??? They should be the most comfortable! Or take the IPF Worlds. Is it fair to US lifters to have to travel over seas??? Probably not, but they still do cause they want to compete, no matter how far the travel.

Jedd has paid his dues, he was just in Texas!!! Come and compete, or dont. GGC will be a success either way.

If I can make it this year I will Jedd. I wont compete, but I will help wherever I am needed.

Good point Rick, people will show up if they want to compete, because really most of the longstanding and high ranking competitions are held somewhere in the sticks. BBB is 10 miles from nowhere, in a town of about 50 people and about a 3 hour drive from any major airport (Champaign is hard to find a flight in for some of us). Gripmas is the exact same way and obviously GGC is as that's the main point of conversation here. These are the 3 of the comps of highest standing in the Grip nation and they're all in BFE.

A note on venues, aren't many strongman comps held in parks, warehouses, large properties, etc? Yeah, the Arnold and a few others, IFSA is out now too. The venue does not and has not mattered for all the serious competitors. That is a non-issue. Besides, whose to say that in 20 years time when grip(hopefully) is as mainstream as strongman, Towanda wont be as famous for being the location of GGC as Columbus is for the Arnold?

The best way, as has been stated, is for some of us to get together and actually put this together off-board. We all agree on the points and the rest can get hashed out eventually. Not all of you are reading your PMs :angry:

I would like to add my 2 cents, if anyone cares. I was one of the first grip contest promoters back in 2003, and I competing in GGC in 04'.

In 03' I had some of the best talent out there. The Vigeants, McGranahan, Heslup, Jedder, Mannino, Morton, etc. I held it at my house. Those of you who have been here know that Towanda is a major city compare to where I live. The closest airport is a 2 hour drive. The Vigeants flew in and then drove to my house, following paper signs on sticks stuck in the mud. They stayed at a shitty motel and some camped in my backyard. McMillan came all the way from Canada eh!

No one bitched about it being in the sticks, they just showed up and competed. I never once thought maybe I should move the venue cause my house was the logical place for me. Garage full of weights/grip tools, roasted pig, keg on ice, and we had a grip contest.

I think that all of the guys you named are exceptional grip athletes (at least the ones I've heard of), but I'm going to venture a guess and say that none of them are professional athletes in some other sport, like strongman. I'm going to go further and guess that these guys were/are your friends. And on this last one, I don't think I have to guess--all of these guys were/are in love with the sport and so were willing to make lots of sacrifices to attend your competition.

Why are these points relevant?

Because the athletes that I would like to see get involved in this sport are professional athletes in other sports, who are not your good buddies (at least not good enough to sleep in your backyard), and who aren't in love with the sport like we are on this board. They are busy guys with schedules booked a year in advance with strength competitions. Furthermore, they may be interested in the sport of grip, and willing to enter a competition, but they don't love the sport enough to sleep in a mosquito net or bunk up in the Roach Motel. That they are not your good buddies is another reason why they wouldn't be willing to endure these things. Not to mention there's no prize money. And no prestige.

What would draw out athletes like the sort I'm talking about? A well-attended grip competition at a big venue, with a nice prize package, featuring some respectable athletes.

Even if someone is not good buddies with anyone on the Gripboard, is busy with other competitions, and is interested--but not in love--with the sport, this sort of competition would still draw them out. If we want to attract them, then we can't keep hosting only the type of competition you describe.

Sometimes I think people take sport way tooooooo seriously. This is supposed to be fun boys, first and foremost! Start treating it like a job and you are going to hate it in the end.

Is training for the Olympics supposed to be fun? What about making it throught the qualifiers for World's Strongest Man? World heavyweight boxing title? Sound fun?

Well, yes and no. Yes, pursuing your passion is rewarding. Is rewarding the same as fun? Not quite. You've got to put up with a lot of pain to be the best at something that's competitive. It helps to be a little bit insane, a little obsessive.

Some of us want to make at least part of the sport--the higher levels of competition--like the other sports mentioned. At that level, training and competition would be immensely rewarding, although not "fun"--it wouldn't be like beer-drinking, Nintendo, and watching Saturday Night Live.

There are plenty of guys who already have this mindset. Read the interview with Jedd that Steve Gardener recently did. Jedd says he thinks of horrible things before a pinch attempt in a contest, trying to get himself full of adrenaline. Getting yourself in that state is probably not fun, but it's rewarding when you pull off the big lift. Gary Hunt is another example. The man screams in agony for most of his bends. Is he having fun? Well...bad example. Anyway, they are two guys who pushed the sport. We need more of this, I think, and less backyard playtime, if we want to get an idea of what is really 'world-class'.

-Rex

Here's a few thoughts. I'm not trying to offend anyone, so nobody get twitchy. I'm just taking an honest view. Grip will probably never be mainstream. Strongman isn't really, how many high schools have strongman teams, or colleges. It's watched by tons of people, and thousands train it, but how many actually compete, hundreds? There's about 60 meets, with an average of about 30 competitors, with many competing at a number of meets, so say maybe 1000 active competitors. Grip has a few thousand guys interested, and how many guys compete worldwide? 100? 150? Grip should logically be more popular than Strongman, as anyone can build stronger hands regardless of body size. I'd love Grip to be mainstream, I make Grip equipment, I'd love that to be my only job.

Our problems, as I see:

Exposure - we have meets in low exposure places, I'm guilty of this, I like having the BBB in my back yard, I don't have to haul all my crap somewhere, I don't have to spend 2 hours loading & unloading before the meet, and another 2 hours doing it again after. I like to do the meet, eat, and hang out. I can clean up the next day, or the next week. I've run dozens of PL, Strongman, and grip meets over the last 18 years, and I LOVE running the BBB. It's easier, I can have more fun, and I like the people I compete with, no matter where I place. Perhaps in a couple of years I'll change that for the BBB, but for the next 2 years, I'll be lucky to be able to have the BBB, due to Julie's school load. If we want to draw more people in, we've not only got to have meets in places that give exposure, but it has to be appropriate exposure, i.e. getting people in to watch that dig strength. At a HS after selling a coach on the advantages of grip strength, Gym, sports bar, teamed with a PL meet or Strongman comp, Arnold, etc. Maximum exposure to people that will understand strength and the applications of grip strength, or at least a place with a high exposure to men.

Visuals - Grip is pretty much boring for the average person. Strongman is very hard for people to understand (the strength needed), and why we do it, but the visual part of pulling a semi, of the stones, or flipping a car are things that hold attention. We used to lose spectators (outside of the core friends, family, and hard core strength/WSM nuts) due to length of meets. Now many meets are kept to 3-4 hours when the used to run all day, or all of 2 days. Look at the bulk of grip events. Vbar, grippers, pinch, Bomb, Farmer's holds, etc, boring for the average spectator. They don't get it. We need to come up with better visuals. I fiddle with that at the BBB, but obviously my meet is a big offender on the "run way too long" area. Tearing medley is good, Medleys are good, Herc hold & bending are good. The other events are going to need something to spice them up if we move to bigger arenas, announcers are good, but a better visual for the events, such as pinching a block attached to something interesting, not 200lbs of weights (maybe Bud girls or whatever). Most guys won't get the pinch making it way harder to lift since they've never tried pinch, and 200lbs isn't that heavy on a bar.

Crowd participation - we need to drag guys in, at meets, let them try bending, grippers, pass a #2 around the crowd, or have the competitors walk around & have people try stuff before the meet, to let people get an understanding of what's going on. It may spike interests. Promoters could do drawings for the crowd to give away a few grippers, some bending goodies, whatever to draw in new people.

Organization- Unfortunately we need it. Bob got it rolling, Jedd worked up nats, but we do need a website, rules, record lists, dues, etc. I'd have no problem throwing $20 a year into a membership, to help set up a site, use whatever's left as prize $ at nats. We'll always be a garage sport without a base to sell sponsors on. We get 100 guys kicking in $20 each & that's a decent budget for a site, and plenty left over for a block of cash to be given away at nats.

Prize $ - No big name Strongman will show without a $ prize. Most don't show at USA Pro meets unless the $ is big now. Regular guys, and perhaps more am strongmen will, however give grip a shot if there's a bit of green for 1st-3rd, or at least it'll seem more attractive. Non grip specific sponsors won't kick loot in unless they can see what they'd get (see organization).

Small time sponsors - I'm in this, I estimate I gave a solid 15-20% of FBBC's profits as sponsorship, both to the GB, and meets this year. That's a pretty big chunk for me, I like to give back, and I love the sport, but my 15-20% is small potatoes compared to the kind of loot we need to pull in for prize $ to draw more guys in. Grip sponsors are mostly gripp companies, or strength companies, and there isn't a huge budget, as the $ is small overall. We need a bigger sponsor. $5,000 cash would be huge for our sport. But where to ask?

I'll be glad to help in any way, I'll be working at my regular job only part time after May to up the child care time while Julie is in clinicals 40-60 hours per week, plus study time, so hopefully having more shop time for the next few years, and expansion of grip will directly benefit me, so if we can put together a council to promote grip, I'll be glad to offer my help.

I keep seeing money come up and I wonder, does it really make that much difference? There are more HG athletes in the country than strongman by far and none of the ams get anything. At this point in the game wouldn't offering prizes just jack up the registration?

I'm not afraid of competing against any bigger stronger guys.

What some people want to do is take out traditional tests of grip strength and replace them with events that test hand size. If you want to do that, get a ruler. It would be easy for a lot of guys to beat David Horne at a contest that consisted of:

Blob by the face

7 10's pinch

3" bar DO deadlift

Credit card charge gripper

Would they be stronger than David at grip? Maybe, but the events wouldn't test it.

Test grip strength. Rex, I don't see what your deal is, you aren't exactly setting the world on fire at contests. I want the biggest, strongest guys to compete at grip. At GRIP! Bring anyone bigger and stronger on. Let them try to beat us at our game.

By the way, bring the freaks! If anyone has any contacts in Michigan with top level strength guys interested in a grip contest, I am game.

It's not about being afraid of protecting "our turf", it is keeping the game the same.

Rex, I don't see what your deal is, you aren't exactly setting the world on fire at contests.

What does my performance at grip contests, or anyone else's for that matter, have anything to do with making the sport more popular and organized?

-Rex

I've got pretty deep into promoting a contest a couple times. Got a notebook right here full of names, venues, events. First thing I discovered is that grip strength businesses aren't going to sponsor you enough to make you profitable. If you want real sponsorship dollars (the kind you'll need for show up money, free accomodations, etc), you better be talking to people with pretty big balance sheets. PL contests would be nowhere without Inzer. WSM wouldn't be viable without Met-rx and the resorts.

Who can we recruit to foot the bill?

a chalk company. (I don't know how to use the face thingys but there should be a smiley one here)

I've got pretty deep into promoting a contest a couple times. Got a notebook right here full of names, venues, events. First thing I discovered is that grip strength businesses aren't going to sponsor you enough to make you profitable. If you want real sponsorship dollars (the kind you'll need for show up money, free accomodations, etc), you better be talking to people with pretty big balance sheets. PL contests would be nowhere without Inzer. WSM wouldn't be viable without Met-rx and the resorts.

Who can we recruit to foot the bill?

Because the athletes that I would like to see get involved in this sport are professional athletes in other sports, who are not your good buddies (at least not good enough to sleep in your backyard), and who aren't in love with the sport like we are on this board. They are busy guys with schedules booked a year in advance with strength competitions. Furthermore, they may be interested in the sport of grip, and willing to enter a competition, but they don't love the sport enough to sleep in a mosquito net or bunk up in the Roach Motel. That they are not your good buddies is another reason why they wouldn't be willing to endure these things. Not to mention there's no prize money. And no prestige.

Maybe it is just me, but I can't imagine pro athletes in other sports taking the time to do a grip contest and chancing injury. Imagine if a dude who makes millions blocking on Sunday afternoons, or six figures winning WSM, tore something trying to bend steel. Not real good for the career. That is kind of like asking a powerlifter to go and compete on Sunday! The people that going to do grip are the same type of guys who are going to do powerlifting meets, strongman contests, etc. Weekend warrior types who love to train and push themselves, but wear a suit during the week and push papers.

As far as those guys being my friends?? I knew Steve, Jedd, Smitty, and Dan Cenidoza. I never met the rest of them, and they weren't "friends" before the contest. They were just regular dues with regular jobs who loved grip and wanted to get togther and test their strengths against one another. Thats all. No matter how much organization you want, NO ONE is EVER going to make a living doing grip. Sorry, just aint gonna happen!

Is training for the Olympics supposed to be fun? What about making it throught the qualifiers for World's Strongest Man? World heavyweight boxing title? Sound fun?

Well, yes and no. Yes, pursuing your passion is rewarding. Is rewarding the same as fun? Not quite. You've got to put up with a lot of pain to be the best at something that's competitive. It helps to be a little bit insane, a little obsessive.

Some of us want to make at least part of the sport--the higher levels of competition--like the other sports mentioned. At that level, training and competition would be immensely rewarding, although not "fun"--it wouldn't be like beer-drinking, Nintendo, and watching Saturday Night Live.

There are plenty of guys who already have this mindset. Read the interview with Jedd that Steve Gardener recently did. Jedd says he thinks of horrible things before a pinch attempt in a contest, trying to get himself full of adrenaline. Getting yourself in that state is probably not fun, but it's rewarding when you pull off the big lift. Gary Hunt is another example. The man screams in agony for most of his bends. Is he having fun? Well...bad example. Anyway, they are two guys who pushed the sport. We need more of this, I think, and less backyard playtime, if we want to get an idea of what is really 'world-class'.

Not sure why you are directing this stuff at me Rex. Been there done that bro. I have stood up with 715 pounds weighing about 230. I have squatted in the upper 700s. I have competed in many strongman and powerlifting meets. I know what it takes to move heavy weight, punish myself for a 5 hour squat/deadlift workout in a 90 degree gym, and lift 750 pounds with my fingers in eagle loops. And, despite what ever crazy thoughts I had pre lift, no matter how many times I head butted something and screamed and snorted nose tork till my nose bled, no matter how many times the grass turned black from walking an 800 pound yoke, flipping an 1100 pound tire, and farming walking 300 an arm, I WAS STILL ALWAYS HAVING FUN! If it wasnt something I enjoyed, something that was FUN, I wouldnt do it. I think most that know me on here would be quick to tell you that I am ver much insane, and very much obsessed.

I guess I will always just be the dude who goes to the gym and gives it his all, likes to sling heavy ass weight, and enjoys motorcycles, cold beer, and blowing shit up! I know I wont make a living doing this stuff, that is why I wear a monkey suit 5 days a week.

Maybe it is just me, but I can't imagine pro athletes in other sports taking the time to do a grip contest and chancing injury. Imagine if a dude who makes millions blocking on Sunday afternoons, or six figures winning WSM, tore something trying to bend steel. Not real good for the career.

Bending would have to be dropped, sure, but it's not a test of grip strength anyway. The report Wade posted on the Fit Expo suggests that lots of pro-strongmen are willing to squeeze grippers, pick up blobs, Rolling Thunders, etc. That makes sense. Grip is a pretty low-risk sport, after all, which is why it draws people who can no longer compete in other strength sports due to injury. Also, after speaking to Richard Sorin a couple of months ago, I found out that several pro strongmen took a shot at the Circus Dumbbell deadlift, even some who had to compete the next day. So, the risk of ruining one's career doing a grip contest doesn't seem so big.

Not sure why you are directing this stuff at me Rex.

I wasn't directing it at you specifically. I was just using your post as a starting-off point for some things directed at everybody following the thread.

-Rex

It’s like two separate things in a way. There is this fairly small but respectable number of people who love competing at pretty much any level – we’re not the “stars” or the big famous guys but we show up. We’ll drive halfway across the country, sleep on the ground, we’ll help load, judge and keep score. We do it for no fame – some small bragging rights, a free meal (sort of) and some trophies of sorts. We are the ones who make all sports even possible. Only a very select few of us might have a shot at winning the strongest man in grip if we somehow manage to bring in that top 5% of the WSM contestants that we all assume will clean all our clocks in grip. And we’ll do this forever – with or without any changes in the way things work. We’d climb into a garage in the middle of nowhere or onto the stage at the biggest expo in the country and manage to have fun either way.

Then there are the guys we all know are the monsters of the strength world. We assume and possibly correctly that guys like Phister – Mangus – Mario – Wade – Tex – Rich and their like will come into the sport and wipe the floor with all of we mortals just by showing up. I think Chad, Rex, and others really want to have that opportunity to see how they might do against them and that’s where their focus lies and that is admirable. The thought of the privilege of pitting myself against them gives me goose bumps.

The reality is probably in the middle somewhere – at least in the near future. If we can get our act together as far as an organized entity, I think it will be possible to get the non pros from other sports involved fairly quickly at times but to think we can draw the “ big big boys” is I think getting ahead of ourselves maybe at this point - I'd love to be proven wrong here though. I believe Doc is correct in that we will need a deep pockets corporate sponsor or two to get that done on any scale. I’ve been involved in various strength and endurance sports for more years than most of you have been alive. I’ve seen the growing pains of them all – I’ve promoted, seen , and done strongman in city parks and in someone’s side yard. I’ve done triathlons in a somewhat “stolen” canoe and with a borrowed dime store 10 speed bike with a bent wheel. I remember when a power lifting meet couldn’t draw flies, let alone a crowd. And if you take away the money from the equipment companies – it would go right back to that again. Olympic lifting – have any of you actually tried to find a gym that even allows it or a coach that knows any more than what a bumper plate is? There are some darn strong people out there that I like to think can be convinced to compete in a grip contest without being offered huge appearance money and a big money prize package. I like to think that guys like Wade, Tex, Rich and some others that we all consider as “the next level” of grip strength would do it for the love of the game – perhaps I am wrong. Will some things have to change to make that happen – yes. They may want a better venue and accommodations – a little publicity – certainly a set of rules and a structured set up with the chance of a cash prize, even if modest in scope. Those seem like things that can be done if we can pull this together a little.

I’ll still show up either way – if you love it – you will too.

Edited by climber511

Exposure- I think that if we have an actual USHSA website, we could post little teaser clips of some of the more intense moments from competitions. Someone well-versed in video-editing could help with some good vids. We could also video some of the competitions and offer the DVD's for sale on the website, perhaps with thought out commentary or some other extras. The price doesn't much matter, but the proceeds could go to the prize pot at GGC. I'm willing to bet that more than just guys on the GB will order the vids once the website is put out there. Also, with those little teaser vids, we would have something to post on other strength forums along with a brief write-up and perhaps for our sponsors to post if they so choose. It would be much easier than explaining what is going on or simply saying there was a contest. For the record, your "strength festival" idea is an awesome one. If nothing comes of these talks yet again, we can look forward to that event in a few years.

Visual- I'm sure we could figure something out here too. Let's face it, merely testing the grip is very boring to watch. There are a few regular and recognized strongman events that could be added to our contests or tweaked to suit us. The HHold, FW's, medleys that include more than simple deadlifts and loads, axle deadlifts, axle clean and press, duck walks, power stairs, thick DB clean and pressing. These are just off the top of my head. All of these could be tweaked to tax the grip before the body and could use different weights or handle sizes for different classes if needed. I'm not talking about turning grip into an offshoot of strongman, but it will include elements of it. Face it, the guys with the strongest bodies are the ones winning the grip contests. Dave, Jedd, Chad are the bigh 3 that everyone expects to see win in the eastern US comps, and more. Jedd is a very strong cat, Chad tried for a Pro card, Beatty IS a Pro, Dave is a very strong guy in his own right with his other lifts that you don't hear about. I'm noticing myself now that my body is getting stronger overall, so is my grip. Those new guys at Gripmas this year, I think 2 or 3 were HG competitors, all of them did fantastic!!! Bending does not have to be dropped either, or modified in my mind. People just don't understand it because they don't encounter it often. If we bring it to the mainstream, people will start getting involved and the strength nuts that drive the sport will start to appreciate what it is that bending requires.

Crowd Particpation- Absolutely! I'm not expecting the first contests under the USHSA to be some big deal like the Mohegan Sun Grand Prix, but if held with spectators or passers-by, there could be drawings and such as you say. Good ideas but I'm not sure what to do here.

Organization- Bob, we need to get US Handstrength updated and perhaps give it a new look. Getting the website going again is good, but we need to get everyone to agree on what needs to be done. The website is there, let's get a membership up and running for next year, lets get rules and guidelines up about holding your own sanctioned girp contest, let's get it going!!!

Prize $- No big name strongmen will show without cash prizes, for sure. BUT, amateur strongmen will and perhaps non-WSM pros if they can be persuaded. I think if we concentrate the prizes and only do 1-3 or 1-5, the bigger pots might attract more amateur strongmen and PLers, not to mention joes off the street who read a flyer.

I'm not suggesting I get a say in what happens, I'm just trying to get things moving and this time with an outcome. As Derek so ineloquently pointed out, this same conversation came to the same conclusion and resulted in nothing but "we needs" and "we shoulds." It's time.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Maybe it is just me, but I can't imagine pro athletes in other sports taking the time to do a grip contest and chancing injury. Imagine if a dude who makes millions blocking on Sunday afternoons, or six figures winning WSM, tore something trying to bend steel. Not real good for the career.

Bending would have to be dropped, sure, but it's not a test of grip strength anyway. The report Wade posted on the Fit Expo suggests that lots of pro-strongmen are willing to squeeze grippers, pick up blobs, Rolling Thunders, etc. That makes sense. Grip is a pretty low-risk sport, after all, which is why it draws people who can no longer compete in other strength sports due to injury. Also, after speaking to Richard Sorin a couple of months ago, I found out that several pro strongmen took a shot at the Circus Dumbbell deadlift, even some who had to compete the next day. So, the risk of ruining one's career doing a grip contest doesn't seem so big.

Not sure why you are directing this stuff at me Rex.

I wasn't directing it at you specifically. I was just using your post as a starting-off point for some things directed at everybody following the thread.

-Rex

I think plenty of Pro Strongmen are willing to do grip stuff if it's convenient. The test would be to see if they'd travel to do a comp, not just do a RT contest the night before a Strongman comp, or the Grip Gauntlet at the Arnold when they're already there. Strongmen trying the Circus DB isn't terribly surprising, they are just like all of us, strength nuts & any challenge is tempting. I bent a good 20 bolts the day before the Denver World Strongman Cup meet I did in 2005 for kids in the children's hospital, and Ralf Ber was playing with bending when he saw me doing it, and showed me how to burst soda cans (bare handed).

The HHold, FW's, medleys that include more than simple deadlifts and loads, axle deadlifts, axle clean and press, duck walks, power stairs, thick DB clean and pressing. These are just off the top of my head. All of these could be tweaked to tax the grip before the body and could use different weights or handle sizes for different classes if needed.

Again, what do we want, grip stuff or strongman? I don't want grip contests to be second-rate strongman events. Yup, Tommy Helsep would get his ass whooped on a bunch of the above events, but he would do nicely in a grip contest.

We've got a decent grassroots following. Buiding on that may be the key.

I've had some ideas before, but Chris is a good voice of experience. He's seen the birth of a few of these things.

Jedd-

Don't want to come across as seeming like I want to move nats away from you at all, I don't want to run another show other than the BBB, just offering an idea for exposure. I don't really profess to have any say, GGC & Nats are your deal. I don't compete enough to deserve any say in Grip or nats. Just offering you a location in the future if you're interested.

John,

I seriously think your idea is great and that we should talk more on it some time.