Grip Strength Nationals

Jedd Johnson

Just wanted to post the date for Nationals - August 29th, 2009. It is the last Saturday in August, but it is NOT the same weekend as Labor Day, so we do not have to deal with that this year.

The event will most likely be held right at my house this year instead of having to rent a facility and cart all of the equipment around my myself the day before the contest again.

You must qualify. I will post specifics down the line as far as weights in specifics events that will qualify you. For now, just remember that if you finish top 3 in a contest, you qualify.

To make your contest a qualifier, you must email me ahead of time, going forward. We need to make sure the contests that are being done hold to the same guidelines that we have been using for the last few years.

Any questions, feel free to post them here. There will be plenty more information to come, such as the specific events and the hotel info, etc.

Thanks.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Natural

• climber511

• MalachiMcMullen

• Bob Lipinski

I don't think we emailed you ahead of time whether or not Metroplex Mayhem could count as a qualifying comp unless Eric did ....... does it count? thanks

This stipulation is just going forward. Yours, Gripmas, and Sorinex contests are all golden bro. What I meant was to prohibit a handful of dudes from throwing a contest on a whim to qualify for nationals. This would probably never happen, but you never know. I essentially just want to form more structure with the league this year.

Any other questions are welcome. Is there anyone who is interested in holding their first contest?

Jedd, from this point forward does a qualifying contest need to be "open" to all (within space/time constraints) or could someone just invite a handful of people of their choosing? For example, if someone proposed a "geezer contest" .

Edited by odin

Is there anyone who is interested in holding their first contest?

I was thinking about holding one and letting Eric do all the legwork! :laugh

-Rex

Thanks for the early heads up on the date - my calendar is already filling up with stuff. Grippers - Pinch - Medley and.......?

I just filled in my calendar for the year. this makes the 17th comp I'll be doing in 09.

I seem to remember that if we went last year we're good for the following year even if we don't qualify?

is it too early to ask what the events are?

thanks a plenty for staying on top of this and letting us plan as far ahead as possible.

brent

I just filled in my calendar for the year. this makes the 17th comp I'll be doing in 09.

I seem to remember that if we went last year we're good for the following year even if we don't qualify?

thanks a plenty for staying on top of this and letting us plan as far ahead as possible.

brent

Jedd already told me:

1st event: Grippers ..... 2nd event: Grippers .... 3rd event: Grippers .... 4th event: Grippers and for the Medley: various different grippers

well, at least I haven't been wasting all my time sucking at grippers 2x a week.

brent

Jedd already told me:

1st event: Grippers ..... 2nd event: Grippers .... 3rd event: Grippers .... 4th event: Grippers and for the Medley: various different grippers

brent

Jedd already told me:

Hahaha!!! :D

well, at least I haven't been wasting all my time sucking at grippers 2x a week.

brent

Jedd already told me:

In that case Paul, you might as well not even go. Youd get dominated :tongue

This stipulation is just going forward. Yours, Gripmas, and Sorinex contests are all golden bro. What I meant was to prohibit a handful of dudes from throwing a contest on a whim to qualify for nationals. This would probably never happen, but you never know. I essentially just want to form more structure with the league this year.

Any other questions are welcome. Is there anyone who is interested in holding their first contest?

Jedd I already posted about the contest I plan on having in June.I would like it to be a official qualifier for the Nationals.So yes I would like to hold my first contest the Pilgrim Grip contest!

Brendan, Paul and Zach - you're all experienced promoters, except for Paul, but Eric pretty much ran the Mayhem contest anyway, so all your contests are good.

Bob, shoot me some info on the contest.

Brendan, Paul and Zach - you're all experienced promoters, except for Paul, but Eric pretty much ran the Mayhem contest anyway, so all your contests are good.

Jedd, is my contest chopped liver?

- Aaron

Jedd

With all the recent talk of a contest in the North East have you thought about having a novice class? It seems like quite a few people would like to compete.

- Aaron

With a menu of chopped liver - you better have a lot of beer available :D

- Aaron

No, my memory is. You are golden, Aaron. Sorry for forgetting.

Jedd

With all the recent talk of a contest in the North East have you thought about having a novice class? It seems like quite a few people would like to compete.

Are you talking about at GGC/Nationals?

My spare time is extremely limited, but I will still consider it once the addition on my house is done. Who all is interested in a novice level grip contest in the Northeast?

Is there anyone who is interested in holding their first contest?

I was thinking about holding one and letting Eric do all the legwork! :laugh

-Rex

Gee... thank you for your consideration, Rex... I really appreciate the... opportunity... :) ... :( ... :cry

:cry:cry:cry:cry

Hey Jedd,

Have the qualifying lifts/numbers been figured out yet? Just curious. :cool

My spare time is extremely limited, but I will still consider it once the addition on my house is done. Who all is interested in a novice level grip contest in the Northeast?

What are the parameters of being a novice? I'd definitely be interested. Maybe you could make Eaton run it :D

Sorry for any confusion. I was refering to the GGC/Nationals. Just seemed like quite a few people in the PA Grip Contest topic are looking for a contest that does not require extensive travel. My thoughts were to hold it in conjunction with the GGC. I amnot sure how much extra work it would be but I am willing to help. Just a thought.

Sorry for any confusion. I was refering to the GGC/Nationals. Just seemed like quite a few people in the PA Grip Contest topic are looking for a contest that does not require extensive travel. My thoughts were to hold it in conjunction with the GGC. I amnot sure how much extra work it would be but I am willing to help. Just a thought.

Most contests are very welcoming of amateurs or novices (heck we're all amateurs) - Nationals by it's nature of having qualifying standards is not one of those - although spectators are always welcome. Unfortunately travel to grip contests is just the way it is with such a small sport. Five hour drives are considered short for most of us and flying or 10 to 12 hour drives aren't all that unusual. EVERYONE is looking for contests that are close to them. Bite the bullet and go to a couple contests - meet the people and see how the events and the overall program is put on - then hold one yourself. You'll have much better luck getting people to come to your contest if they know you. The other option is what I call a get together - just a bunch of friends getting together and going at it in someones garage etc. You won't win any prizes maybe but it's a bunch of fun and a great way to meet people with the same interests. I had a couple get togethers and one semi serious competition before I held my first for real contest. There are ways to cut expenses like car pooling and sharing hotel rooms - camping etc. Pack your food instead of eating out etc. If you really want to do this - you will find a way.

Edited by climber511

Most contests are very welcoming of amateurs or novices (heck we're all amateurs) - Nationals by it's nature of having qualifying standards is not one of those - although spectators are always welcome. Unfortunately travel to grip contests is just the way it is with such a small sport. Five hour drives are considered short for most of us and flying or 10 to 12 hour drives aren't all that unusual. EVERYONE is looking for contests that are close to them. Bite the bullet and go to a couple contests - meet the people and see how the events and the overall program is put on - then hold one yourself. You'll have much better luck getting people to come to your contest if they know you. The other option is what I call a get together - just a bunch of friends getting together and going at it in someones garage etc. You won't win any prizes maybe but it's a bunch of fun and a great way to meet people with the same interests. I had a couple get togethers and one semi serious competition before I held my first for real contest. There are ways to cut expenses like car pooling and sharing hotel rooms - camping etc. Pack your food instead of eating out etc. If you really want to do this - you will find a way.

Thanks for the advice. I have been seriously thinking about a "get together" for some time this spring and as soon as I get a few more pieces of equipment I will make this happen. I also understand that EVERYONE islooking for something close but as far as biting the bullet is concerned, overnight trips/flying etc, are definately out of the question.

I kind of like the traveling myself me and my wife tend to make these trips as small vactions my longest drive

was a little over 19 hrs. of driving to Seattle Wa. 2nd longest would be going to Fort Worth Tx. . We take enough

food for a couple days of lunches and plenty of fruits and cereal so the only meal we eat out is dinner.

But I always have a great time meet a lot a good people and get a chance to explore some of the U.S.

Edited by lone Wolf

I vote for a more central location venue in the US. I believe we would get a lot more grip guys interested in qualifying and being able to foot the travel expense.

The Sorinex venue was great in 2006 :rock

Just my thoughts.