Grip Strength Nationals

Jedd Johnson

I vote for a more central location venue in the US. I believe we would get a lot more grip guys interested in qualifying and being able to foot the travel expense.

The Sorinex venue was great in 2006 :rock

Just my thoughts.

Yeah. That way, Tex and Rich could compete. :rock

-Rex

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Natural

• climber511

• MalachiMcMullen

• Bob Lipinski

I vote for a more central location venue in the US. I believe we would get a lot more grip guys interested in qualifying and being able to foot the travel expense.

Just my thoughts.

-Rex

You are wise beyond your years young Skywalker :bow

Oscar - doing a "get together" is a great time! I did the "Grip Rendezvous in Purgatory" last fall, and it was a blast. I have no experience promoting, so even setting this up was all new. It was great to meet the people behind the posts. I am planning to attend the Pilgrim Grip Comp, and am looking for other activities in the area. A drive to PA is not out of the question! I will certainly attend GGC this year, not ready to qualify yet, but being there will be great. Keep me posted if you set something up, maybe I can get a few Pilgrims to carpool.

Oscar - doing a "get together" is a great time! I did the "Grip Rendezvous in Purgatory" last fall, and it was a blast. I have no experience promoting, so even setting this up was all new. It was great to meet the people behind the posts. I am planning to attend the Pilgrim Grip Comp, and am looking for other activities in the area. A drive to PA is not out of the question! I will certainly attend GGC this year, not ready to qualify yet, but being there will be great. Keep me posted if you set something up, maybe I can get a few Pilgrims to carpool.

I will definately keep you posted. I plan on going to the Pilgrim contest as well and also to the GGC as a spectator. I will host something when it gets warmer.

Someday I would hope for a rotating nationals location, letting some of the experienced promoters bid or whatever.

Great to see that some of you are planning on attending the Brendans Pilgrim Grip Contest(PGC).It will be awesome.As far as grip get togethers go,they are a blast.When I did the "Barnburner"it was only Myself,Brendan and a few others and it was great.The contest type atmosphere always pumps everyone up and PR's are usually set.I hope to make it to GGC this year,I went in 2007 and it was a freakin blast.Hope to see some of you at PGC and hopefully GGC. :cool Later Boys.

The Sorinex venue was great in 2006

Someday I would hope for a rotating nationals location, letting some of the experienced promoters bid or whatever.

Both good ideas. I can't speak for John Beatty, but his location is fairly well centrally located.

Also, Michigan has an excellent Contest location at Larkin's Gym.

This is something to which I have given a lot of thought.

The best place - Columbus, Ohio

The time - during the Arnold Classic but not at the Convention Center due to cost.

Rent a place - a city the size of Columbus has plenty of them I am sure. With proper advertising, you would have the largest pool of prospective strong men of all areas of strength available at any one place and time in the world plus the possibility of actually drawing a crowd to help pay the bill - which will certainly be much larger than what we are used to. It would take a bunch of legwork and organization to put it on but if you want the "Big Deal National Championships" of grip - there it is. To be honest, handling a much larger group than we normally have is going to mean a complete restructuring of the way we run contests - a big undertaking - I believe if it takes a very long time - we would lose support for it quickly. To handle say 30 competitors - the guy(s) running it can't be competing - loading - and scoring. My thoughts

The time - during the Arnold Classic but not at the Convention Center due to cost.

Rent a place - a city the size of Columbus has plenty of them I am sure. With proper advertising, you would have the largest pool of prospective strong men of all areas of strength available at any one place and time in the world plus the possibility of actually drawing a crowd to help pay the bill - which will certainly be much larger than what we are used to. It would take a bunch of legwork and organization to put it on but if you want the "Big Deal National Championships" of grip - there it is. To be honest, handling a much larger group than we normally have is going to mean a complete restructuring of the way we run contests - a big undertaking - I believe if it takes a very long time - we would lose support for it quickly. To handle say 30 competitors - the guy(s) running it can't be competing - loading - and scoring. My thoughts

Sounds good to me Chris :rock

Also, Michigan has an excellent Contest location at Larkin's Gym.

Also, my dad's new shop sits on 6 acres of reletively flat land. Those who competed at LCQ last year will attest to the available space both indoor and outdoor. At least 2000sqft of clear floor readily available and more if the situation called for it.

Agreed.

I was wondering Jedd is there a list of guys to send are grippers too for

calibration.

I can calibrate them for you if you wish. Chris

Ohio in the middle of Winter. :blink Yech. :dry

Michael California

Ohio in the middle of Winter. :blink Yech. :dry

Michael California

March isn't winter - it's practically balmy here - I mean seriously - it only snows sometimes - well ..............

Is the BBB a qualifier again? I'm not sure I could make Nats due to Julie's school, but it would be fun to try it.

Just my thoughts.

Nah. That GGC had the lowest number of attendees and it is a major pain in the ass to haul everything.

Just my thoughts.

-Rex

You are wise beyond your years young Skywalker :bow

With all due respect to Rex and Rich, GGC isn't going to be moved to another location just so they can compete. I've made the drive to Irmo. It's not that bad of a trek for one weekend.

I was wondering Jedd is there a list of guys to send are grippers too for

calibration.

I have not seen that "service" advertised on the board. However there are several people who own the devices.

Is the BBB a qualifier again? I'm not sure I could make Nats due to Julie's school, but it would be fun to try it.

Certainly! Your contests are great.

Well now - there seems no doubt we all want Nationals in our own back yard but the reality is that try as we have - we attract not many more than 20 people competing and 10 or 15 spectators to any of our grip contests - let alone a meet where you have to qualify to attend. As much as I like the idea of growing the sport, having this big production with lots of competitors from other strength sports, cheerleaders, experienced loaders and help - we're just not there yet (did I mention cheerleaders?). Grip has been publicized quite a bit - it's not like most strength athletes don't know it exists. But it is just what it is right now - and trying to pull off my grand Arnold Classic idea is just going to cost somebody a bunch of money out of their pocket that isn't going to change much of anything. Sports are becoming more fragmented as people discover more and more options to try. I love grip competition and find it hard to understand why everyone else doesn't. But the whole country loves football and I could care less so to each his own. Jedd works his a.. of putting on the GGC or Nationals - this year he has his own place to hold it which is going to make life much easier for him - and yes Towanda is still about a zillion miles from anywhere - but I'll be there - and I hope you will be too.

Edited by climber511

Just my thoughts.

Nah. That GGC had the lowest number of attendees and it is a major pain in the ass to haul everything.

About as many as 2007 in PA?

2004 and 2005 were the biggest years BY FAR.

I am just trying to get more guys involved...and sometimes you got to do what you got to do. I have the Euro pinch, AA, FB 2" V Bar, and heck my medley is off the charts...so I am willing to help haul things without a problem.

I am just trying to help brother man...not cause a problem.

Thanks

Just my thoughts.

About as many as 2007 in PA?

2004 and 2005 were the biggest years BY FAR.

I am just trying to get more guys involved...and sometimes you got to do what you got to do. I have the Euro pinch, AA, FB 2" V Bar, and heck my medley is off the charts...so I am willing to help haul things without a problem.

I am just trying to help brother man...not cause a problem.

Thanks

Jedd,

So hauling the equipment isn't a problem. We can just use Chad's.

And I think it's clear from the way that the sport has developed over the last year that this GGC is going to have record high attendance. Combine that with the contacts that Richard Sorin has in the strength world, and I'd say that having a good number of people show up will be NO problem.

-Rex

is it necessary to move the GGC? in the highland games the world championship rotates between venues. this means that it's held at different times each year but, you do know ahead of time. Wouldn't it be simpler to move the nationals to different contests from year to year? If Chad and company are willing to hold a comp, why not just leave the GGC where and when it is and move the nationals around? It seems like Jedd is already knocking himself out to do what he does, maybe someone else should take up some of the work?

brent

ps. I have been trying to arrange a comp myself and am having trouble finding a venue. so, I am practicing what i preach, sort of.

is it necessary to move the GGC? in the highland games the world championship rotates between venues. this means that it's held at different times each year but, you do know ahead of time. Wouldn't it be simpler to move the nationals to different contests from year to year? If Chad and company are willing to hold a comp, why not just leave the GGC where and when it is and move the nationals around? It seems like Jedd is already knocking himself out to do what he does, maybe someone else should take up some of the work?

brent

ps. I have been trying to arrange a comp myself and am having trouble finding a venue. so, I am practicing what i preach, sort of.

Strip away the status of national championship from the GGC, and I'd guess that hardly anyone would attend. The only thing the GGC has going for it right now--no offense Jedd--is that it is the national championship. Well-judged, fair, good events, etc. But a contest with those qualities can usually be found at a much more convenient location. I think that everyone tolerates the trip to Towanda just because it's the US Championship.

-Rex

I feel it's Jedd's contest at this point - and I'll go where "he" holds it. He's done more than any of us for the sport of Grip - moving it now - especially since he has already announced it - is like stealing it in my mind. If you want to have a grip contest at Richards - fine - but not Nationals - not this year.

Strip away the status of national championship from the GGC, and I'd guess that hardly anyone would attend. The only thing the GGC has going for it right now--no offense Jedd--is that it is the national championship. Well-judged, fair, good events, etc. But a contest with those qualities can usually be found at a much more convenient location. I think that everyone tolerates the trip to Towanda just because it's the US Championship.

-Rex

You do realize last year was the 1st national championship right? GGC has been there for several years without it.