Grip Strength Nationals

Jedd Johnson

is it necessary to move the GGC? in the highland games the world championship rotates between venues. this means that it's held at different times each year but, you do know ahead of time. Wouldn't it be simpler to move the nationals to different contests from year to year? If Chad and company are willing to hold a comp, why not just leave the GGC where and when it is and move the nationals around? It seems like Jedd is already knocking himself out to do what he does, maybe someone else should take up some of the work?

brent

ps. I have been trying to arrange a comp myself and am having trouble finding a venue. so, I am practicing what i preach, sort of.

Strip away the status of national championship from the GGC, and I'd guess that hardly anyone would attend. The only thing the GGC has going for it right now--no offense Jedd--is that it is the national championship. Well-judged, fair, good events, etc. But a contest with those qualities can usually be found at a much more convenient location. I think that everyone tolerates the trip to Towanda just because it's the US Championship.

-Rex

Is there anything wrong with that? GGC was the best-run contest I've been to so far. I know that when you get down to the nitty-gritty, Jedd and Smitty(mostly Jedd from what I hear), put on the most professional contest in gripdom and have for years now. They always have a good venue, they always have very competent judging, they always have their shite together before, during and after the comp(at least it seems that way). This is not intended as a bash to other promoters, as I am one of them, but Jedd and Smitty have put some good effort into GGC to make it THE championship contest and it shows. We could do what the Europeans do and cycle the championships between venues, but why? I understand that some other sports cycle them, but grip doesn't have to be one of them.

I do think that, as the sport grows, the venue will have to be changed eventually. I just can't see 50 competitors at one of the current venues(mine is an exception I think). But that time is not now and probably not for a few years still. The sport will go where it needs to. If GGC brings in far more people than anyone anticipates, it will be up to Jedd to move the venue for the next year if he so chooses.

For the record, I would be EXTREMELY interested in a contest at Sorin's place. I would deal with the god awful drive(I DO NOT fly) just to be there and have the great time that only a serious grip competition at a fantastic venue with great people could bring.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Natural

• climber511

• MalachiMcMullen

• Bob Lipinski

Strip away the status of national championship from the GGC, and I'd guess that hardly anyone would attend. The only thing the GGC has going for it right now--no offense Jedd--is that it is the national championship. Well-judged, fair, good events, etc. But a contest with those qualities can usually be found at a much more convenient location. I think that everyone tolerates the trip to Towanda just because it's the US Championship.

-Rex

No place is convenient for most of us, unless it is going to have good public transportation near a major city's airport at a time during the year without extreme weather conditions.

Jedd may not take offense at your No Offense Sentence, but I thought it was an offensive comment, and probably not accurate.

Mike Corlett

-Rex

You do realize last year was the 1st national championship right? GGC has been there for several years without it.

Yes, I realize that.

In previous years, the same old familiar faces showed up, and not a lot of people at that (average of around 15?). There's a chance that the status of national championship might draw some newcomers, allow them to justify traveling to Towanda. But you take away that status, and it is very likely that the location will deter them. For example, as a newcomer I attended last year's GGC because it was the national championship. Had I just wanted to go to another grip competition, I would have waited for the next comp that Aaron was holding in Tucson. So, at least from Jedd's perspective, keeping the GGC as the national championship seems imperative. It just makes sense. If you are in an inconvenient location, you want to outweigh that bad feature with as many good features as possible, e.g. nat. championship status. So if I were Jedd, I'd vote "No" to the rotating venue idea.

As for the 'what's best for the sport' perspective, a venue change seems damn near obvious. For a national championship, we at least want

-Lots of competitors, especially talented newcomers

-A big audience, so that lots of new people get introduced to the sport and tell their friends

Is there really any comparing The Edge Fitness Center in Towanda to Sorinex, or Metroflex, or some other big-name gym? At last year's GGC, we had almost NO spectators (a few family members and friends), and three or so newcomers. At Metroflex, we had a good number of spectators and a whole lot of other people who came to recognize grip as its own sport by word of mouth in the gym. Importantly, we had some guys like Ken Anderson show up (www.andersonpowerlifting.com) who know just about everyone in the strength world and no doubt mentioned the contest to a lot of people.

The change would be very easy, as long as a well-equipped gripster lives near the venue. We just use his equipment instead of Jedd's. Jedd & those near him would of course no longer have home-field advantage, but I'm betting they would be willing to give that up ten times over to help the sport grow.

-Rex

-Rex

No place is convenient for most of us, unless it is going to have good public transportation near a major city's airport at a time during the year without extreme weather conditions.

Jedd may not take offense at your No Offense Sentence, but I thought it was an offensive comment, and probably not accurate.

Mike Corlett

The main problem with Towanda is that it's not near an airport. Lots of people have to rent cars for two days as a result. Also, it requires that the competitor fly in a day earlier than would be needed otherwise. This adds to hotel costs. So while no place may be convenient, there are certainly degrees of inconvenience.

Another factor that has not been mentioned is the "two birds with one stone" idea when it comes to travel: often, people already want to visit some place (e.g. Sorinex), and so having a competition there just makes it all the more appealing as a location. Towanda has lots of natural beauty surrounding it, but that's usually not a reason why people already want to visit. But lots of people want to go to the Arnold anyway, or want to go to Sorinex. This can only help get more people to attend.

I think Jedd knows how much I appreciated his efforts at GGC and dedication to the sport in general. As long as he doesn't take offense, I really don't care how it came off to you.

-Rex

Here is the way I see it 100% and I have reached the point that I do not care who it offends. I have been WELL traveled in this grip sport and so have MANY others...BUT I keep competing against the same guys over and over again...as it is the same for A LOT of us. I just want some new faces and get some new guys on fire that already have potential in this sport and get them competing. From what I have heard...the Metro comp had a few new guys that with some training could do VERY WELL in this sport.

I am the kind of person that wants to try and find the best of the best and lets play ball. That was the MAIN reason for the Sorinex Santa Claws showdown...to see what Rich and Tex had...and they did well and had A LOT to show :rock I would like to see Rob V. if interested back in action and bring guys like Wade out to compete...and maybe some of the top names in strongman like Brian Shaw and Mark Felix and maybe get Big Laine to compete. You never know how good you are till you compete and put yourself out there against other top proven guys. If the same 10 guys keep competing against each other...well that gets boring after a while(no offense). When there are new proven strong guys competing...it gets me Fired up and Motivated to set new goals and try to kick some ass or get my ass kicked...either way...that is what keeps me motivated in this sport.

I think it would be cool to make the GNC Gauntlet a qualifier if that person can complete the gauntlet in the HEAVY format :rock That would be another way to get some new faces involved from all other sports.

Jedd and Smitty have ALWAYS done a GREAT job and so have the rest of the proven promoters...BUT at some point we as a group have to try to grow the sport and get more top guys interested...even if it means going to them. GGC has been in PA 4 out of the last 5 years...maybe it is time to move it around a bit and more guys interested. It does not have to be Sorinex...it could be anywhere...whatever it takes to get them there.

I am willing to help and help to raise $$$ for this National comp and get on the phone or email some guys to get them ready to roll.

Chad Woodall

Interesting points Chad, but I wonder if you could have avoided the risk of offending anyone if you had made them in a seperate thread, or PM. Of course I don't know what is going on "behind the scenes", but when someone posts "Right, here's the details for this Year's Nationals" and someone else posts "Oh no, not that same old shit again" it is bound to raise a few hackles, even if not Jedd's.

Yep, I agree that it is just not fair to slag Jedd. When other people have been talking, he has been working his butt off and making the GGC a national championships before it was even a "national championships".

I think I posted earlier in the thread that I think at some point a rotating nationals venue would be a good idea. And I don't mean Jedd hauling all around the country to host it, I mean that some of the experienced promoters could put forward interest and hold it at their location.

But we have a little ways to go before we get to that point. We'll get there.

I agree wholeheartedly with Chad and Rex about this stuff. People know about grip right now, at least strongman and many powerlifters do. The big problem I see with a more central location near an existing popular venue like the Arnold would be cost. Thankfully grip is a very tight nit sport for now and people could all pitch in and do what they could. Be that bringing objects for the medley(I still love that idea even if it's unfair to the smaller handed guys like me), pitching in a few bucks for the rental of a facility, helping to organize, advertise, etc. At least I would do so.

I also think Chad's idea of the HEAVY format Grip Gauntlet being a qualifier for the GGC. If it's posted in something like the GNC booth and apart of the already popular grip gauntlet, it can only be a good thing. Even if it's mainly Wade telling people about the "US Grip Championships", that would get people thinking about grip as a sport more than a fun oddity in some booth at a Fit Expo. That is up to Wade and GNC of course, but sounds like a fantastic idea to me.

I agree also with the same old faces part. I have yet to meet a better group of guys than the regular grip competitors, but new faces are what we need if we want the sport to grow.

I'll be sending emails and PM's out to some of you in a minute here :fear:rock

Let me be clear also, as far as I see it, the National Championships should be in Jedd's and the Diesel Crew's hands. I don't care where HE chooses to hold it, but he has done far too much and put far too much work in to be simply "considered" when planning the future of grip.

Let me be clear also, as far as I see it, the National Championships should be in Jedd's and the Diesel Crew's hands. I don't care where HE chooses to hold it, but he has done far too much and put far too much work in to be simply "considered" when planning the future of grip.

I absolutely agree with that Zach,If it was not for Jedd,Smitty-Diesel Crew,Where would this sport be??It is There show,they should run it where they want and how they want,If you can't go or don't want to go to Pa. Well,that's up to you and you don't have to go. I really don't think this thread was supposed to end up like this though.

I absolutely agree with that Zach,If it was not for Jedd,Smitty-Diesel Crew,Where would this sport be??It is There show,they should run it where they want and how they want,If you can't go or don't want to go to Pa. Well,that's up to you and you don't have to go. I really don't think this thread was supposed to end up like this though.

See, this attitude is what has created the proliferation of powerlifting federations, dozens of meaningless 'world champion' and 'US champion" titles, etc. "We're going to do it this way and if you don't want to particpate, then create your own championship/federation/competition".

Everyone here agrees that the sport needs more publicity and participation. With that comes a better talent pool, more money, etc. The question is whether hosting an event in Towanda is the best way to create publicity and participation. And I think the answer is "No."

Nobody is forcing anyone's hand. If Jedd & Smitty want to continue marketing a US Championship in PA, that's fine, and I plan to attend as long as I have the money. But the worry is that another contest may begin to draw the most talent, and so while it may not be "the US championship" explicitly, it is for all practical purporses the US Championship, as the winner is clearly the best. If possible, it would be good to avoid that situation. It would be good to arrange things so that the official U.S. Championship is the same as the 'for all practical purposes" US championship, i.e. the one that draws the most talent.

It wouldn't cost much to experiment with another location. Even if the change of venue got just *one* big-name strongman to participate, that may be all that's needed to take the sport to another level. As Chad put it, maybe it's time we start coming to them rather than expecting them to come to us.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

I think Jedd knows how much I appreciated his efforts at GGC and dedication to the sport in general. As long as he doesn't take offense, I really don't care how it came off to you.

-Rex

You raise 3 points:

1. You "think Jedd knows". Are you sure?

2. Did he take offense? Are you sure?

3. Good for you.

Mike

I'd like to propose something kind of tied to the nats thread, not trying to hijack it. Not this year, or next, but maybe 2011 (after Julie graduates). I've had the dream of running a strength weekend including Grip, HG, Strongman, PL, maybe armwrestling and Oly lifting, too. Run some of the less popular (i.e. grip) & more popular (i.e. strongman) on the same day, get some crossover entries, offer a per event entry fee, and a multiple comp fee, get some sponsors, run it somewhere locally. I've got most of the Strongman stuff & grip stuff, there's a guy 7 miles south that runs 60+ PL meets per year, Another guy that ran a moderate size Oly meet in Savoy. I would coordinate the whole thing & work sponsors locally, but I'd want someone (or perhaps even teams of experienced promoters) to run each of the individual comps and drum up national-type sponsors for those meets (as all who've attended my meets know, I have big ideas, but the actual running of the event may not go quite as smooth as I'd like). Perhaps even do a band after day 1, with food & a beer tent to draw in even more people (I have plenty of connections in the bar business that could cover that). I think it would draw a ton of people, especially if we could get some performers to do their acts between events, and get the post meet grip stuff out in the open for people to both watch & try.

Jedd would be a logical choice to run the Grip part, especially as leader of a team of promoters. He's run the most respected meet, well organized, and has connections that I can't access, as a competing company. This could be nats for 2011, centrally located, and run be someone more organized than me :D

Add the crowd that HG draws, plus the standard family & friends that come to PL & such, we could have the best exposure for Grip ever. Local channels would eat the fest up, get some magazine write ups, with the multi sports we could get mention in a lot of media and tons of websites.

When I think of Grip Nationals, I think of Jedd and The Diesel Crew. If I make it to Nationals it will be wherever Jedd and the Crew decide to hold it. Taking a few days off will be worth it to make it out to the Diesel Compound from what I've heard anyway. Since he's done a shitload of work on all this (organizing many contests, etc), it would seem to me pretty crappy to try to "take it away" from him in a sense. I'm only a mid-packer, but I'd still spend hundreds just to get out there and compete. We'll spend money traveling to any contest. I understand those wanting a more centralized locale...but there are so many contests these days it's almost easy to find one centrally located. Host one that's centralized and call it whatever you want. But the US Grip Nationals are Jedd's & The Crew's baby.

I'd be lying if I said parts of this thread haven't pissed me off, but that's ok. I want what's best for the sport.

I understand that Towanda is not the most centralized location. I have traveled just as much in the US as anyone. To me, it seems if it's important enough to you to compete and test yourself, you go to the contest.

I understand that Towanda keeps certain guys from competing at Nationals. But would these same guys travel to Michigan? Texas? Anywhere but their own backyard to compete?

I never thought that Towanda would be holding the sport back though. To me, if you know where Nationals is in January, then you go qualify, and then start saving your money up through August to have enough for hotel, car, etc, or you start looking for someone to stay with. Maybe I'm wrong...

Regardless of how they have been written, many statements in this thread have made me think about all this. Thanks.

Jedd-

Don't want to come across as seeming like I want to move nats away from you at all, I don't want to run another show other than the BBB, just offering an idea for exposure. I don't really profess to have any say, GGC & Nats are your deal. I don't compete enough to deserve any say in Grip or nats. Just offering you a location in the future if you're interested.

Interesting thread. No offense to anyone intended - I know those involved are working their buts off for no gain except to keep the sport above water. However, grip is a closet sport and until it gets orgainized it will always be a closet sport with the same guys showing up. You need to start by setting up a national organizing body with a membership - most likely with some dues to have a small operating budget. You need a name ("USA Grip Strength"), logo, website, rule book, records list, sanctioning criteria, tshirts, and a national championship. The national organizing body should be affiliated with a larger world organization and world championship. I said all this 4 years ago - made an effort along with a few people - ducked some stones that were thrown at me, wasted a few saturdays, and gracefully bowed out. I didn't say it publicly then but will say it now - my motivation was I had someone approaching me to run a contest on the main stage of an expo and I was working with sponsors for a cash purse in the $5,000 range. Funny thing is here we are 4 years later and instead of me saying it it's Chad and Rex. Like it or not, lack of this very basic framework will keep the sport down. You cannot attract serious athletes, sponsors, venues, etc., without it. I got the message loud and clear 4 years ago that people wanted a bar room dart league and not a serious sport as I've outlined here.

As for the GNC thing - I did do some leg work on this earlier this month. For various reasons we are not going to advertise any affiliation with another contest. However I do keep accurate records of all our winners and if someone wants to try the heavy version I always let them. And because the heavy version is something special (only 4 men have ever done it) I judge it strict. So if you want to use my list of successful heavy grip gauntlet winners you sure can. We might even run the heavy version at the Arnold if we can get the kinks worked out of the new rolling thunder. Me and John Connor (pro strongman) did the old heavy version at the FitExpo. You can read about it here: http://www.jackalsgym.com/blog.aspx?user_id=1&blog_id=40

Wade,

Why didn't you just do it? With your connections you could have made a great contest.

My concern is making grip a freakshow thing, where only 6'7 guys with 20 inch hands can compete. That seems the direction Ironmind wants to bring any possible "sport" of grip in, and that is not what grip strength is about.

Chad, Rex, et al, if you want to do a better job, do it.

Here are good ways to help:

1. Hold a contest

2. Invite people to contests and talk up the sport

3. Encourage people to get into grip stuff

Interesting thread. No offense to anyone intended - I know those involved are working their buts off for no gain except to keep the sport above water. However, grip is a closet sport and until it gets orgainized it will always be a closet sport with the same guys showing up. You need to start by setting up a national organizing body with a membership - most likely with some dues to have a small operating budget. You need a name ("USA Grip Strength"), logo, website, rule book, records list, sanctioning criteria, tshirts, and a national championship. The national organizing body should be affiliated with a larger world organization and world championship. I said all this 4 years ago - made an effort along with a few people - ducked some stones that were thrown at me, wasted a few saturdays, and gracefully bowed out. I didn't say it publicly then but will say it now - my motivation was I had someone approaching me to run a contest on the main stage of an expo and I was working with sponsors for a cash purse in the $5,000 range. Funny thing is here we are 4 years later and instead of me saying it it's Chad and Rex. Like it or not, lack of this very basic framework will keep the sport down. You cannot attract serious athletes, sponsors, venues, etc., without it. I got the message loud and clear 4 years ago that people wanted a bar room dart league and not a serious sport as I've outlined here.

As for the GNC thing - I did do some leg work on this earlier this month. For various reasons we are not going to advertise any affiliation with another contest. However I do keep accurate records of all our winners and if someone wants to try the heavy version I always let them. And because the heavy version is something special (only 4 men have ever done it) I judge it strict. So if you want to use my list of successful heavy grip gauntlet winners you sure can. We might even run the heavy version at the Arnold if we can get the kinks worked out of the new rolling thunder. Me and John Connor (pro strongman) did the old heavy version at the FitExpo. You can read about it here: http://www.jackalsgym.com/blog.aspx?user_id=1&blog_id=40

This.

Would it be hard to do this guys? My feeling has been for awhile now that all we need is a dedicated website and for us to just write down the rules we already have in an organized manner and rules for prospective promoters blah blah blah. The membership thing is the biggie though. I don't think there is a better candidate than Jedd to take care of that but that is another problem. Jedd works hard as it is but he is the only logical one to put in that position. We certainly could create an even larger body and lump the US and European orgs together. No problem there that I can see. We could have state or regional chairs set up so that Jedd doesn't have to deal with every possible contest too. Hell, we don't even need a set list of events that are allowed either, just the rules for specific ones that need explaining like the 2HP, RT, V bar, and how you need the specific devices, and then require approval for the rest from either the state/regional chair or Jedd. Bob does already have a website, a little boring ;) , but it could be turned into the organization's website. We even have a nice name all picked out, US Handstrength. Just put the BHSA and the USHSA together to form the Global/World/International/etc Handstrength Association with loose guidelines that we all ALREADY FOLLOW anyway. Nobody has to be in charge of the bigger org, it could just be the guys like Jedd, Smitty, Mob, Horne or it could be people who are picked out of the gripworld, doesn't matter. I know myself and almost everyone on this board would pay $20-30 for a yearly membership. Just like the NAS, make membership a requirement to compete.

We have everything in front of us right now to do it- all the pieces- we just need to put it together and wait.

Wade,

Why didn't you just do it? With your connections you could have made a great contest.

My concern is making grip a freakshow thing, where only 6'7 guys with 20 inch hands can compete. That seems the direction Ironmind wants to bring any possible "sport" of grip in, and that is not what grip strength is about.

I said why I didn't move forward. I tried to get an organization going and was shocked that the general feeling I got from board members was to keep the status quo - you were one of them. The message was loud and clear - no sense in beating a dead horse. The sport hasn't moved forward in 4 years so something is still getting in the way of progress. Seems to me it's turf protection and gaurding your "sport" aginst the threat of bigger stronger guys coming in and doing something you can't do. Your comment about Ironmind says that to me.

Wade,

I said why I didn't move forward. I tried to get an organization going and was shocked that the general feeling I got from board members was to keep the status quo - you were one of them. The message was loud and clear - no sense in beating a dead horse. The sport hasn't moved forward in 4 years so something is still getting in the way of progress. Seems to me it's turf protection and gaurding your "sport" aginst the threat of bigger stronger guys coming in and doing something you can't do. Your comment about Ironmind says that to me.

I don't think you'll find the same sentiment from grip competitors now. Perhaps the newest members who might feel they are being pushed even farther down the ladder(as the regulars probably felt 4 years ago), but with the incorporation of some kind of class divisions(these, I feel, are a MUST), it will be much better for the little guy(like myself). Having weight classes I think is a much better idea than hand size or anything else. It really split up the crowd at Gripmas perfectly and still allowed a little guy like me to compete with the bigger guys if I so chose.

We have been here before – perhaps this time it can get done. As I see things, Wade is correct as to the need for an organization if Grip is to move on at all. His idea of working in affiliation with a larger body is excellent and one I hadn’t thought of before – the advantages are obvious. Many of us have seen the need for it, talked about it, discussed it ad nauseum and in the past it has always broken down, in my opinion, because of the GripBoard. Forums are hardly the place to set up an organization. It’s like the old saying – “If you want to make sure nothing gets done, give it to a committee”. That’s what has happened in the past – the GB acted like a giant committee and nothing got done. The people who end up leading the organization will need the respect and connections that only a very few people have in the grip strength community. The so called worker bees underneath need to be committed and willing to do a lot of work for nothing in the beginning but don’t necessarily need to be big names.

What we have – we have a fair number of promoters who do a good job at the local level. Even going forward we will need smaller, medium and large format contests – a governing body could provide access to many things that would make for better events. Publicity, availability of liability insurance, access to mailing lists, contest structure etc are something we haven’t had or used in the past. We have a relatively good number of contested events that test basic hand strength and a fairly good set of rules to judge them by. I think if we want main stage at an Expo someday – that events that are more exciting will need to be developed – maybe not every event but it certainly has to be more exciting than some are now. Watching grippers from 100’ away may not hold the crowds attention for example.

How to proceed – I wish I knew. It is my belief that a few people that are well known and have the trust of the overall strength world and the grip strength world will have to come forward that are willing to do all the work of a startup with the help of I would say people that they hand pick to help with the leg work. They will have to be “connected” as Wade says which really narrows down the field. I think this needs to be done totally off the Gripboard and presented as an accomplished fact – set up and ready to go. Like most organizations, by laws etc can be changed later over time by the membership with a voting process laid out in the bylaws. I imagine bylaws exist in other organizations that might be appropriate with a little tweaking which would save a lot of time and expense.

I have fought for a governing body all along but as Wade has said also fought to keep grip strength as grip strength and a grip test – not a strongman contest. I did that not only selfishly (I admit to feeling some of that as well) but because I believe that if we call it grip strength – that’s what it should primarily test. What I envision for the future in a top tier contest is one in which guys like me cannot compete because we simply aren’t top tier people. But what I strongly feel we need to ensure is that the normal grip guy still has a place to compete as he climbs the ladder towards the main stage. Perhaps set up something like a local, state, regional, and national championship progression that advance the stronger guys on to the next level. I know that’s getting ahead of where we are today but hopefully not as we go forward.

Wade,

I don't think you'll find the same sentiment from grip competitors now.

Over the past year, the attitude seems to have switched from active resentment and hostility to passive resentment and a sense of helplessness. A year ago, and before that as well, a newcomer damn near had to apologize for being stronger than the old-timers if he wanted any sort of acceptance in the community. Now, it seems the grip-world reactionaries aren't surprised anymore when someone smashes a world record with little training. They still don't like it, because in raising the standard it indirectly makes their own accomplishments look less impressive, but they seem less inclined to put up a fight. That's my impression, at least. Maybe this is a good sign, though, as it suggests that there will be another change in attitude soon, one that is captured in the saying "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em". Before, it seemed to be "If you can't beat 'em, shun 'em."

-Rex

Wade,

I don't think you'll find the same sentiment from grip competitors now.

Over the past year, the attitude seems to have switched from active resentment and hostility to passive resentment and a sense of helplessness. A year ago, and before that as well, a newcomer damn near had to apologize for being stronger than the old-timers if he wanted any sort of acceptance in the community. Now, it seems the grip-world reactionaries aren't surprised anymore when someone smashes a world record with little training. They still don't like it, because in raising the standard it indirectly makes their own accomplishments look less impressive, but they seem less inclined to put up a fight. That's my impression, at least. Maybe this is a good sign, though, as it suggests that there will be another change in attitude soon, one that is captured in the saying "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em". Before, it seemed to be "If you can't beat 'em, shun 'em."

-Rex

You could've just said "Yeah I agree LOL!!!!!!!11!!1one!!!!eleven"

We had this exact same discussion, pretty much word for word, a couple, 6 or so, months ago and nothing got done in the end because of people's attitudes as Wade described of protection of the sport. Clearly this would make you wrong Zach as personally, I don't think attitudes have changed that drastically over the last few months.

Personally, as Chris said as long as this remains a grip strength contest and we don't shift towards Rex's way of thinking I'm all for a Nationalized Organization. However the reason this worked so well for the Brits is because obviously their population of gripsters is much smaller and likewise for their nation size. This means much fewer conflicting interests and bickering friends. This would obviously be very likely to occur with any sort of USHSA. So if this is to be done we need stark rules and a governing body paired with experienced promoters and 90+% membership on the board of experienced US people. There also should be a hierarchy, not a democracy per se. In other words complete newbies shouldn't have much of a say in how contests are run and how rules are done, unless they are ok'd to run their own contest of course. Hybrid comps will obviously be allowed, but their must be some sort of framework around keeping it grip related and keeping the main principles (thickbar, pinch, grippers, etc.) and away from WSM with some slightly more grip related twinges to it. These are just my opinions, but hell maybe I'll be listened to this time as opposed to the last conversation on this topic :rolleyes