Training Log

Guest drfish

Guest drfish
On a side note, is your signature serious? Did you really bench 500 lbs?

Goals, my man, goals.

As far as the back position goes...take some time to cruise through and find as many stone loading videos as you can. You seen, 'round back lifting' as it is termed isn't inherently bad, in fact it is the legitimate style of odd object lifting. Now, some legitimate professionals you know in the field may take objection to this but riddle my this; is the back for some reason the only "body part" that is designed for use solely in a static or isometric fashion? Seriously, as you practice and bcome stronger this action will feel much more effective and natural.

Also, they are called spinal erectors...as in to erect the spine both in extension and statically.

Also, also, erect.

Also, also, also, as you approach a few more medicinal types with issues stemming from your new found hobby prepare for even longer blank stares and more precise prescriptions of adopting a sedentary and pathetic waste of oxygen lifestyle simialar to their own. Bunch of wankers.

I'll have to study some videos of stone loading. Just from memory, when I watch you guys, I see rounding in the upper back, but not as much as I see in myself.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• easyWeight

• Matt Brouse

• carusom1

• jwdeff

Guest drfish

6/25/08

Speed Box Band Squat - Low Box - below parallel - Purple Bands

8x3x185 (+bands)

GHR

4x8xBW

Reverse Hypers (powerlift brand)

50x8

75x8

100x8

135x8

185x8

Cable Abs

4 sets

I'm still in Orlando. Looked up Orlando Barbell and went there. A powerlifter named Brian Schwab owns this gym. He's actually on the cover of the May 2008 Powerlifting USA issue. He's got some serious records at 148 and 165 lbs.

First time ever using bands on the squat (or for anything for that matter). Did them on their monolift because it had pins for bands. I really liked using the bands. They feel good for some reason.

First time using a reverse hyper as well, even though it's not the "real" reverse hyper from Westside. Liked these as well. Wish there was one handy all the time.

Nice gym overall. Not big or fancy, but they have the important stuff... 100 Lb plates, thick bars, various other bars, a platform, big dumbells. They even provide chalk. You don't see that much anymore.

Edited by drfish

Guest drfish

6/28/08

Shoulder warmup

Floor Press - medium grip

185x3

225x3

255x2

285x1

305x1

Barbell Rows

135x8

185x8

225x8

245x6

Dips

BW+50x8

BW+70x8

BW+90x6

Dumbell Reverse Fly

30x8

40x8

40x8

One Arm Dumbell Shoulder Press - Strict

sets of 5

45, 55, 65

Cable Upper Back - 2 pulley

sets of 15

150, 150, 150

Dumbell Tri Extension

40x8

45x8

50x7

Rowing Sprints - concept II

3 x ~60s x 300 meters

Read that these are good for GPP. They certainly do suck. I was at the sports center so couldn't think of anything else to do for GPP. It was between that and some Strict Bicep Curls in a power rack, but I didn't have spotter so I couldn't do that. :D

Edited by drfish

Brain Schwab is a NUTCASE. Wicked crazy strong. Did you meet him at all?

I like the concept II rower, easier on the body then a treadmill and is a lot more structure work than an elliptical.

Guest drfish
Brain Schwab is a NUTCASE. Wicked crazy strong. Did you meet him at all?

I like the concept II rower, easier on the body then a treadmill and is a lot more structure work than an elliptical.

I didn't meet him. I went there too late. I met the co-owner of the gym, who was also a powerlifter. Can't remember his name, he had some pretty good numbers on their board though. He was joking about how short Brian was. This guy was about 5' 5" and he said Brian came up to us chin, so he must be around 5' I'm thinking. He said I could come in and squat with him and Brian on Friday, but I had to fly out that day.

Guest drfish

6/30/08

Deadlift

225x5

315x3

405x1 - add belt here

455x1 - no belt from here down

495x1

515xmiss

I don't deadlift with a belt normally. I tried it today and I felt like it hindered me. Made a run at a PR, but came up short.

Good Morning - Arched Back

sets of 5

135, 255, 315, 335, 355

RDL

sets of 5

135, 225, 315

GHR

BWx10

BW+25x8 - technically a PR, but I'm pretty new to these

BW+35x6

BWx8

Guest drfish

7/2/08

Shoulder warmup - 15 minutes

Cleans

singles

4x1x135

4x1x180

4x1x225

I felt my form was better today after studying those youtube videos Darin posted. That Dan John one was good. I think I'm getting the 1st and 2nd pull to work better for me. Now racking it is still ugly as hell, need to work on that. Also I'd like to be able to do a full squat clean, but need to work on flexibility a lot first.

Snatch

3x4x90

Doing snatches makes cleans make more sense to me. I need to do these more.

Press - 1 push, 2 strict

3x3x180

Dumbell Strict Press - seated (I pussed out here and sat down, lower back was real sore from Monday)

55x8

65x5

75x3

85x4

Pullups

4x6xBW - varied grips

Dips

2x8xBW

Cable Upper Back - 2 pulley

2x15x150

Dumbell Reverse Fly

2x8x35

Dumbell VMO external rotations

6x20

7x20

6x20

7x20

What?

At the top of the second pull think of pulling, no whipping your elbows back, down and around. A big half circle or 3/4 circle or something. It's still a very active motion, not just a casual position as is instinct.

Keep going.

Guest drfish

6x20

7x20

What?

Heh, yes, that's a made up name I think. I saw it on John's log a while ago. What I think it is:

Sit on a bench, put one foot on bench, knee up. Do an external rotation of the humerus, keep your elbow on your VMO muscle. Elbow about 2" lower than shoulder joint.

Goofy. When I first saw that name I was trying to figure out how the VMO would externally rotate something, I don't think that works.

I haven't been thinking about what my elbows are doing during my cleans, so I'll have to try that out. Thanks for the advice!

Edited by drfish

Look strong my man! Where are you lifting at that has a GHR?

Guest drfish
Look strong my man! Where are you lifting at that has a GHR?

I lifted at the sportscenter a couple times last week because I had to lift later in the night. They are open until 11:30.

Guest drfish

7/5/08

Stones

235x5

235x5

240x1 (cleaning up)

Working on stone technique and conditioning here. Felt a little better.

FW - Reese's handles

1x80'x135

1x100'x135

2x80'x225

4x40'x275

325 x 9 sec hold

Qdoba

1x1xBurrito

7/5/08

Stones

235x5

235x5

240x1 (cleaning up)

Stones were all to a 53" box.

Not that it matters too much, but I believe we figured out Reese's boxes increased in 5" intervals starting at 40"

Guest drfish

7/7/08

Shoulder rehab/prehab with band, cuban press w/ barbell

Snatch & Muscle Snatch

2x4x95

1x4x115

1x4x145

Working on technique. Mike checked my technique. I need to work on the 2nd pull... explosive hip movement. Not sure why I have such a problem with this. Mike mentioned getting the bar travel correct and the body should follow. I think this is a good idea for me to focus on. Usually I overthink every little part and position, and the result is a bad snatch/clean.

Dumbell Incline press

sets of 3

60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110. miss the 4th rep on last set.

Dips

BW+45x6

BW+90x4

BW+90x3

Pullups

BWx7x7x6

Barbell Rows

sets of 6

135, 205, 255, 135

Dumbel Tri Extension - not strict

1x8x35

2x8x50

1x6x50

Dumbel Reverse Fly

1x8x35

3x8x40

Hammer Curls - seated

50x6

60x5

60x6

Edited by drfish

Guest drfish

7/8/08

1 mile walk (lame)

7/9/08

KB snatch - small & medium KBs

KB clean

Snatch - light, crappy, horrible

Truck Pull - Dodge Ram - backwards

2 x medley - load 2 sandbags, pull truck ~ 80'

2 x pull truck ~ 100'

foam roller

Really shitty workout up until the truck pull. That was fun... and a lot of hard work. After we were done I thought I was going to puke for a few minutes. I was wiped after this.

Guest drfish

7/13/08

Squat

135x5

225x5

315x3

365x1

405x1 - add belt here

425x1 - add knee wraps here

475x1 - a PR, but felt great

495x1 - felt unusually good, not sure why or how

Front Squats - deep

225x5

275x5

295x3

Good Morning - arched back

225x5

315x5

365x3 - form not good here, too heavy, not deep enough

GHR

BWx8

BW+25x8

BW+35x8

BW+35x8 - still feeling this excercise out

Concept II rower

300m warmup

3x300m sprint 59s, 60s, 104s

1500m 6:45

These rows were the hardest part of my workout. I need more conidtioning. I'm pathetic.

Stat Bike - 10 min

Skipped my friday and saturday workouts because life needs to happen too. I think I needed this anyway because my shoulders and knees felt beat up and I felt overtrained overall.

Set a huge PR on squats today. Thinking about why, I think it's a combination of decent training, a good rest, some weight gain (~ 5 lbs, even though a lot is disgusting fat), just eating a lot of good food (see: getting fatter), and becoming more proficient in form and knee wrapping. Anyway I'm pumped because I hit a 30 Lb PR, and that's Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ing huge for me. 495 came up relatively easy, I actually felt I had a little more in the tank. A powerlifter watched and checked the depth, he said it looked good so that's nice.

Bad news is I'm fat and I need to cut down for waseca. I'm about 242/246 morning/night. That's about 5 Lbs heavier than I was for Iowa. Going to cut some carbs and increase cardio (from zero to some) and conditioning.

Awesome job on the squats, onto 500+!!!

Excellent PR big man, keep up the hard work.

Guest drfish

Thanks for the comments Mike and Kinselbj!

I'm excited about the prospect of squating in the 500s.

I looked at some squat PRs in my old log:

12/8/07 - 365x1

2/13/08 - 425x1

5/10/08 - 445x1

6/14/08 - 465x1

yesterday - 495x1

130 Lb gain in ~ 7 months. I feel good about that. Lifting is great fun when things like this happen.

7/14/08

Just some "active rest/recovery" work as they call it. Pretty sore from yesterday, just trying to get the blood flowing a bit.

Walk

~2 miles, 30 min

Foam Roller

Edited by drfish

130 Lb gain in ~ 7 months.

Wow! I hate you! :rock

Guest drfish

7/16/08

shoulder warmup

Keg press

6x3x120

6x1x160

First time pressing kegs so working on technique. I tried a different technique right at the end that worked very well. Thanks for the advice Mike.

Pullups

2x6xBW

Various Grip stuff