Training Log

Guest drfish

Guest drfish

I'm a newbie on this board. Some others I know post here. I recently started training for strongman. I've been fortunate enough to have met and occasionaily train with some strongmen from the Fargo, ND, area... James, Darin, Mike, Matt, John, Dave, Reese.

4/24/08

Flat Dumbell Press

warm up sets

Flat Bench Press - close grip (index finger next to smooth part of bar)

185x2

225x2

245x1

275x1 (medium grip - index fingers 2 inches from smooth part of bar)

295x1 (medium grip)

Dips

BW+60. 1x8, 1x9, 1x10

Cable Triceps pushdown (2 pulley machine, 1 fixed, 1 movable, so real resistance is half the weight)

130x12, 160x12, 190x12

Barbell Row - Bent Over

245 x8 x9 x9

Cable Upper Back (2 pulley machine again)

170 x17 x14 x14

4/26/08

Dynamic work

Hang Clean

warm up sets

185x3

205x3

215x2 (3rd rep miss)

215x2 (3rd rep miss)

I'm trying to change my clean technique. I was using the old way I was taught by high school football coaches. Now I'm trying to clean how Matt and Darin showed me a while back. Pull not so fast off the ground, explode with hips at the correct time, get bar travel correct.

Jerks - some push, some split

many sets of all the below

135x2

155x2

175x2

Sadly this was my first time doing any type of jerk (that sounds dirty), but I know I need to incorporate this.

Bulgarian Split Squat w/ dumbells

70s x8 x8

Shrugs - 411 tempo for a change

225 x8

Static Hangs - DO

45s, 30s, 30s (roughly)

Edited by drfish

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• easyWeight

• Matt Brouse

• carusom1

• jwdeff

Guest drfish

4/28/08

dynamic work

Flat Dumbell Press - speed work

(weight x sets x reps)

70 x3 x3

60 x5 x3

Dips

BW x18 x15 x14

Pullups

BW+10.

DO x10

UG x7

DO x7

Dumbell Hammer Curls - alternating

50x17

Cable Upper Back (2 pulley machine)

170 x16 x12 x11

4/30/08

Deadlift

warm up sets

315x3

365x2

405x1 switch to alt grip

425x1

475x1

495x1

Pretty good deadlift day. I usually lift alone. Today I lifted with Darin. I really think I did better just by having a good training partner. 475 was a PR by 10 lbs. I was going to stop there, but Darin suggested I keep going. He was right, cause I got 495. 30 pound PR feels pretty good.

Front Squat

135x4

225x4

295x3

Cable Pull Throughs

warm up sets

205 x10 x10

250 x8

Farmers Pick and Hold

warm up sets

250 x ~25s

Edited by drfish

Your program is similar in principle to mine, except you are stronger than me. It is good that you are refining your clean technique, it will allow you to lift much heavier weights, improve your mobility and hit all the muscles you want to make more explosive.

Have a look at this old school documentary to look at the Bulgarian lifters' technique and also see how extreme these guys were:

http://weightliftingexchange.com/index.php...5&Itemid=75

You also might want to consider learning the snatch because it is a really fun movement to learn, but it also requires more of an explosive second pull, which, if trained properly, can translate into speed. Have a look at these articles:

http://www.t-nation.com/article/performanc...snatch_you_have

http://www.t-nation.com/article/performanc...rt_deux&cr=

Hope these help.

Edited by kinselbj

Guest drfish

5/3/08

Took an extra day to rest because I caught a cold this week. I worked out in Perham, MN, because I was in the area for a wedding. I ran into Tom Haggenmiller who owns the Powerworks Gym and usually holds a Push Pull contest. I encouraged him to do it again this summer, but he said people always back out on him, so he doesn't know if he'll hold the contest again.

Clean & Jerk

singles

many warm up sets

185, 185, 205, 205, 225 x miss on the clean

Shouldn't have missed that clean, not sure what happened there.

Flat Dumbell Press

triples

85s, 100s, 110s, 120s

Dips

BW+50

8, 8

Dumbell Triceps Ext

30x8

40x6

50x6

T-row with strange handle

180x6

180x6

225x5

Cable Upper Back (2 pulley machine)

170x8

190x8

Floor Press - close grip (index fingers at the edge of the smooth)

225x8

The floor press didn't really fit into my workout but I felt compelled to do it anyway.

KettleBell Snatches

60x3 x many sets

The gym surprisingly had KettleBells. Only up to a 60 pounder at the biggest, so I practiced these. It was only my second time ever touching a KettleBell so it was probably good the weights were light.

Guest drfish

5/5/08

Still working on power cleans, hang cleans, push presses, and push jerks (or power jerks?). I can't clean as much as I could the old way (which I know is inferior), but it's coming along I think. Still doesn't feel natural. I'll just overanalyze it like usual :(

Clean and Press

many light warm-up sets

185x1

185x1

Clean and Jerk

225x0

225x1

I remember Matt's advice at Reese's a couple weeks ago (not to me, but it applies here): Try not to be such a pussy. I'm applying that and it seems to help :D

Front Squat

triples

225, 275, 275

RDL (standing on 2" block)

225x5

315x5

315x4

Didn't finish my workout. My last 2 sets I took a knee afterwards because I thought I was going to pass out. I still don't feel right hours later. I think it's because I recently started taking BSN N.O.-Xplode. I thought it would help with being so tired after work when I lift. I read the warning which says "Discontinue if you experience sleeplessness, tremors, dizziness, nervousness, headaches, or heart palpitations." I think I had all those except tremors and headaches. So I'm never taking that again. If you're thinking about taking no-xplode, just take the money and flush it down the toilet instead.

Edited by drfish

Nice log!

NO-xplode is mostly caffeine, you're probably just caffeine sensitive. A smaller dose might work better for you. The NO part of it does make your arm veins stick out more when deadlifting, which is nice but I'm not convinced it has any impact on performance.

Have you thought about working out at the wellness center for summer term? It's $72 for June 1st - August 31st (but you might be able to get in on a summer membership as early as May 12th, and sneak in a couple weeks free). Unfortunately though you can't get the $20 / month rebate from health insurance though.

If I were you I wouldn't waste my money on the N.O. Explode stuff. There's a lawsuit against BSN over the actual substances in it and their other products, which according to the lawsuit, isn't what they claim it to be (CEM3 creatine), e.g. they're ripping you off. Read here: http://supplementpolice.com/Complaint.pdf

That out of the way; it's good to see you posting! You're looking strong man! You should come and lift at the WC this summer. James is going to be back lifting, I'll be there....it'll be like a three-ring circus. :rock

Edited by easyWeight

Guest drfish

Thanks James and Darin.

I've been thinking about trying to get a membership at NDSU actually. I think for the summer I still need a dual membership, so I'd need to find a person who would sponser me. I might know of a guy, I'm going to try to get a hold of him. If I can, I'll lift there this summeer. That would be schweet!

I can dual up with Jenessa, then you could dual up with Darin (or John maybe if Heather wants to join... I don't think he has anyone else on his ticket). Either way I'm sure we'll be able to find someone... Jenessa's friends, rugby people, etc.

Guest drfish

5/7/08

Shoulder rehab/prehab with a thera-band. I do this before every workout. Not sure if it's working for rehab, but it does feel good to warm up with this.

ext rotation, external rotation w/ abduction, int rotation, some other stuff

Hang Clean and Press - just some light warm-ups

Flat Dumbell Press - speed work - 30 seconds b/w sets

triples

65s x8

Left shoulder is not feeling good. I felt a snapping/popping sensation a couple weeks ago when a did a heavy farmers pick. It went from my left lower pec back around to my lower left scapula area. I've been trying to rehab my shoulder for about 3 months now. I think I'll make a doctor appt soon because it's not getting better. I'm a procrastinator.

Dips

BW x10 slow pace

BW x17

BW x15

Pullups

BW + 20

DO x8

UG x5

DO x5

Cable Upper Back (2 pulley)

190 x13 x10 x10

Dumbell Hammer Curls - fairly strict

55 x9 x7 x6

Static Hangs on pullup bar

15s, 10s - single handed

60s - both hands

Grippers

Trainer 12, 12

#1 - 5, 5

#1.5 - 3, 3

#2 - 1 ®, miss (L)

Levering w/ 8 Lb sledge - choked up

front x3 x3

rear x5 x5

2x4 pinch w/ 5 gallon buckets w/ rocks

90 Lbs x3 x2 x1

I read John Brookfield's Master of Hand Strength. An ok book. I got some ideas about doing grip stuff in with crap I already have in my garage. I think all the info in the book is already well known by the Fargo strongman crew, but let me know if you want to read it anyway. Actually now that I think about it, some of the world class feats of hand strength that he has accomplished have already been met or exceeded by Matt and Mike I'm pretty sure.

I'm not sure what you mean by "'external rotation w/abduction?" but it looks like a pretty good volume.

That sucks to hear about your shoulder man, it seems like everyone is having shoulder issues. I've been having pain in my right peck that's associated with my shoulder too. Sucks!

Also, you forgot Dave in the grip segment. He's got the strongest grip among us, however, Matt isn't too far behind, if at all anymore.

Guest drfish

5/10/08

Squat

135x5

225x5

315x3

365x1

385x1

435x1 start wrapping knees here, add belt here

445x1

RDL

315x5

405x5

405x3

Good Mornings - Arched Back - regular barbell

135x5

225x5

275x5

275x5

Usually I only do good mornings with a safety squat bar. I changed it up today and it felt pretty good. I can handle more weight with a regular barbell.

Shrugs

315x6

365x6

365x5

365x8

My left shoulder is worse today. Usually only hurts when pressing overhead. Today it hurts when holding a barbell for RDLs and Shrugs. I didn't do much strict pressing for two months. Then a couple weeks ago I bench pressed with a barbell, and I'm pretty sure that made it worse. I have an appt at orthopaedic associates in a couple weeks.

Edited by drfish

Guest drfish

5/11/08

A quick grip workout.

2x4 Deadlift

single 2x4

90 x4 x6

double 2x4

90 x4 x6

Grippers

work up to #1.5. missed on the #2.

Levering

8 Lb slege, chocked up

front x5 x5

rear x8 x8

Guest drfish

5/12/08

Shoulder reheb/prehab with blue band

Flat Dumbell Press - Elbows in, close to torso

warm-up sets x many

70s x3

85s x3

100s x3

115s x1

130s x3

130s x1.5 (miss on 2nd rep)

105s x6

This is one of the few pressing exercises that I can do w/o much shoulder pain. As long as I keep my elbows in I'm ok, if I flare them out "normal" style, left shoulder pain is high.

Dips

BW+70 x5 x5 x6

Bent-over Barbell Row - underhand grip

255x7

255x6

255x5

Cable Upper Back (single pulley)

90 x10 x8 x10

Cable Tri Pushdown (single pulley)

80 x8 x16

Guest drfish

5/14/08

Shoulder rehab/prehab with band

Clean and Push Jerk

135x1

135x1

185x1

185x1

185x1

185x2

Clean and Split Jerk

185x1

205x0

205x1

RDL - standing on 2" plate

315x3

365x3

405x3

Front Squat

135x5

225x5

275x3

All my cleans and all the jerks felt terrible. I've been doing hang cleans for a while, and now I'm having trouble power cleaning as much as I can hang clean. I definitely had enough bar height, I had it pretty much to my chin, but the bar was too far out and the catch was difficult. My form just doesn't look or feel right on the clean. Same with the jerk. I can't seem to get the rack right. If it feels and looks ok sitting on my shouldrers, then the drive doesn't feel right.

I just need a lot more practice. Looks so easy when I watch the olympic guys do it on youtube, of course they are olympians, so they're sort of good.

Guest drfish

5/15/08

Grip work

2x4 Deadlift

single 2x4

90 x7

double 2x4

90 x5

Grippers

R - work up to #2

L - work up to #2 (but miss)

Levering

8 Lb slege, choked up

Guest drfish

5/16/08

Shoulder rehab/prehab w/ band

Speed Bench

135x3x8

Bench - close grip

225 x4 x3

Dips

BWx10

BWx16

Dip Shrug x8 then BWx10

Pullups

OGx8

UGx8

OGx8

Scapular pullup x8

Dumbell Incline Reverse Fly (this might be a made up name. Lie on stomach, do a fly type motion)

25s x8

30s x8

35s x8

Threw some dip shrugs and scapular pullups in because they're supposedly good to do if you have shoulder problems.

5/16/08

Scapular pullup x8

This is just a hold right?

5/16/08

Scapular pullup x8

You hang from the regular pull up position and retract your scapula and hold briefly. It is essentially a two or three inch movement. It fires your mid traps and rombhoids and is very good for improving posture and shoulder girdle health.

Keep up the good training drfish!

Edited by kinselbj

5/16/08

Scapular pullup x8

You hang from the regular pull up position and retract your scapula and hold briefly. It is essentially a two or three inch movement. It fires your mid traps and rombhoids and is very good for improving posture and shoulder girdle health.

Right, it's a hold. You wouldn't rep out, per se. After I posted that I did some reading and it's suggested to hold for up to 40 seconds (probably won't be able to at first) and to use a supinated grip on a pull down bar to begin with until you're able to support your weight. Is that how you're doing them drfish?

Edited by easyWeight

Guest drfish
5/16/08

Scapular pullup x8

Right, it's a hold. You wouldn't rep out, per se. After I posted that I did some reading and it's suggested to hold for up to 40 seconds (probably won't be able to at first) and to use a supinated grip on a pull down bar to begin with until you're able to support your weight. Is that how you're doing them drfish?

I did each rep slow up and down just because my shoulder hurt a little as I stretch down. But yes, I tried to hold for 2 seconds at the top. I think a static hold might be better though. Just a feeling.

Guest drfish

5/19/08

Some light shoulder external rotations.

18" Deadlift

225x3

315x3

405x2

455x2

495x1

545x1

565x1

585x0

Good PRs on 18" DL, my 3rd time doing this so the gains came fast as I adapted to this I think.

Front Squat

135x3

225x3

315x2 not sure depth was good enough here

225x3 nice and deep, below parallel

Good Mornings - Arched back - SS bar

225x3

225x3

245x3

SS bar on these makes it much harder, but saves the shoulders, so is well worth it

Shrugs

225x6

315x6

405x4 had to add straps here because my grip sucks

315x8 no straps

Scapular Pullups

BW x2 x8

Dip Shrugs

2x15

All the shoulder health info I've been reading has 1 common theme for sure. Do excercises that bring the scapula back and down. Dip Shrugs are a movement that I think feels pretty good and accomplishes this. I'm going to try to add many more movements in though. I have to. I also don't think my rowing form is good enough. I don't think my scapula ends up in the right position at the top of the movement.

Guest drfish

5/19/08

Some grip work before bed.

2x4 pinch deadlift

grippers

8 Lb hammer levering

Went to orthopaedic associates to get my shoulder checked today. He said there were 3 possibilities. Something about the attachment of the long head of the biceps in the shoulder, some impingment, a 3rd option he ruled out through his evaluation. He wants an MRI so he can see what's going on.

As I expected, he said my complaint was common among weightlifters. One thing that surpised me is that he said he didn't think physical therapy would do a whole lot for me. That's sort of discouraging.

Edited by drfish

5/19/08

All the shoulder health info I've been reading has 1 common theme for sure. Do excercises that bring the scapula back and down. Dip Shrugs are a movement that I think feels pretty good and accomplishes this. I'm going to try to add many more movements in though. I have to. I also don't think my rowing form is good enough. I don't think my scapula ends up in the right position at the top of the movement.

I agree. This is the reason why a lot of the strength and conditioning trainers out there--not the powerlifters of course--maintain that the overhead press is a more useful lift because it is better for your shoulder girdle for the reason you state with the scapula, and also they say the press requires a greater neurological response, therefore being a more demanding lift which can give greater gains. Interesting observation Drfish.

Guest drfish

5/21/08

Shoulder rehab/prehab with band

Dumbell Bench - elbows in

50x3

65x3

80x3

95x3

105x2

115x2

130x2

Bench Press lockouts - set pin pretty high, so just the top 1/3 of the movement

singles

Bench Shrugs - I think the name is right. Used to work serratus anterior, which is good for shoulder health apparently.

225x15

135x10

Barbell Rows - bent over

135x8

225x8

225x8

Tried to make sure scapular finished in the right position, locked back and down

Cable Upper Back - 2 pulley

170x10

200x8

Dumbell Standing Reverse Flys (not sure name is right, upper back work)

20s x10

30s x8

30s x8

Dumbell external rotations

25x3 each arm

20x7 each arm

Treadmill - 15 min, 3 mph, 5 incline

Had an MRI on my left shoulder today. Hopefully I'll hear something soon.