Training Log

Guest drfish

Guest drfish

5/22/03

Shoulder rehab/prehab w/band, light cuban press w/ dumbells, scaption, some other stuff I've been reading about.

Clean and Jerk

all singles - worked on form

4x1x155

4x1x175

4x1x195

1x1x200

1x0x225 missed the clean

1x1x225

Front Squat

2x8x135

2x5x225

all below parallel, narrow(er) stance, heels on 5 Lb plates

Glute Ham Raise

2x8xBW

Lifted a day earlier than I wanted to because I'm going out of town for the weekend. I felt pretty tore up and tired, so I kept the squats lighter, and tried GHR rather than RDLs or GMs. I'm fairly sure that doing flat bench press lockouts is bad for my shoulders. Really sore today. I'm sort of glad I can't workout this weekend because I could use the rest on my shoulders and back.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• easyWeight

• Matt Brouse

• carusom1

• jwdeff

How did those front squats feel with the plates under your heels?

Guest drfish
How did those front squats feel with the plates under your heels?

Felt real good. I can actually get decent depth. And I can use a narrow stance compared to when I back squat.

I ordered up some oly shoes, they should be here this week.

Guest drfish

5/24/08

Was out of town in the middle of a wooded area so working out was tough. Found some field stones though.

Walked 1 hour

Field Stones

small one - warm up

big one - lap, try to stand, carry a few feet, drop x5

Drink a lot of beer x3 nights

Guest drfish

5/26/08

Shoulder rehab/prehab

One Arm Dumbell OH Strict Press

45x5, 55x5, 65x3

Dumbell OH Strict Press

60x5, 70x3, 75x2, 80x1

One Arm Dumbell Push Press

65x5, 75x5

Haven't been doing much strict OH pressing lately because of my shoulder, but wanted to test it out a little. I can do the presses with less pain if I move my elbows forward, and therefore the grip is closer to neutral. Can't do as much weight, but that's ok.

Dips - push shoulders down hard on top of each rep

BW x10 x12 x10

Pullups - supinated grip

BW x8 x5

Dumbell Reverse Fly

25x8, 35x8, 45x8

Dumbell Hammer Curls - strict

50 x10 x8 x8

Dumbell VMO external rotations

20x8, 25x5

After a long weekend of drinking this workout didn't feel great. IA is in 11 days so it's time to get strict with food and add in some cardio to drop a few pounds. I'm going to workout hard this week, then next week I'll bring down the intesity to "taper" a bit for IA.

"3 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

3 Members: drfish, easyWeight, jdef"

I'm really suppose to be leaving now, haha.

Edited by easyWeight

Guest drfish

5/27/08

Grip Training

2x4 pinch deadlift

double 2x4

3 x 5s hold x 110

single 2x4

2 x 5s hold x 110

1 x 4 x 110

Levering

Grippers

Guest drfish

5/29/08

Log Clean and Press (push jerk-ish)

170x2

190x1

190x1

210x1

Log Clean and Split Jerk

170x1

190x0

190x0

This is my second time ever working with the log. I think it went ok though. Clean is no problem at this weight. Just the overhead I need work on for now. Split jerk didn't go so well.

Deadlift

225x4

315x2

405x1

455x1 switch to alt grip

455x1

Good Mornings - arched back

135x5

225x5

275x5

315x5

Hamstring Curls

45x8

70x5

70x5

Ab Crunches on ball

Deadlift was not good today. Felt so heavy and slow, so I stopped at 455.

Didn't you hit 210 OH for 2? Also, you're hitting 405 double over hand? That's good man!

Guest drfish
Didn't you hit 210 OH for 2? Also, you're hitting 405 double over hand? That's good man!

Ha, I don't know. I was too busy chatting, and not paying enough attention to remember.

Guest drfish

5/31/08

Took it easy on the OH to taper down a bit for comp.

8" log OH

145x4

145x4

165x2

185x2

Axle C&P

Kettlebell C&P

Yoke picks

1x1x540

1x1x630

3x1x740

Guest drfish

I got a letter from the doc at orthapaedic associates about my MRI on my left shoulder. I don't have the letter with me now, but it went something like this: The MRI clearly showed inflamation of the long head biceps tendon in the shoulder where it attaches. It also showed fluid buildup in the tendon sheath. The course of action is to do an ultrascan directed injection (of cortison I think) directly to that tendon. Sometimes this can eradicate the problem completely. Sometimes it will only provide temporary relief, in which case surgery might be his recommendation.

I think it's good news that he didn't find impingement, which is worse I think. Initially he thought it was either impingement or long head biceps tendon problem. Of course I did some google searching about this and found that this can make you more likely to rupture the bicepts tendon, especially when stretching the muscle eccentricly. I shouldn't have googled that, stupid curse of information.

I still have to call him back. Maybe I'll get that injection done after IA.

Guest drfish

6/2/08

Cleans and Hang Cleans

singles and doubles @ 185. A shitload of sets. Try to work on form. Cleans don't feel right. Hang Cleans feel good. Maybe I should just hang clean everything. :blink

Front Squats

1x5x135

3x5x225

RDL

3x8x225

Kept it light today. People at the WC frustrate me sometimes. 2 shitheads tied up the power racks for 40 minutes. One doing strict curls of course. The other doing 2 sets of round back deadlifts with 20 minutes of rest.

Edited by drfish

I assume you're already taking NSAIDs.

So I'm guessing even though overhead irritates your shoulder, you're most likely to injure yourself with something like stones or cleans.

In the past I've asked the rack curlers how long they'll be, more often than not they'll say "oh I'm just doing curls, you can go ahead and use the rack if you want", then they'll curl elsewhere. I don't think it's considered rude or anything.

I agree with James. Just ask, they're normally OK with moving or letting you work in. But, I agree, it's a real pain to see people using the racks for something retarded. There was a couple in the WC a while back tying up the rack and platform for BW Calf Raises and some ridiculous 40lb 1/4 hack squats with a trap bar. It was actually quite amusing to see this guy bouncing up and down gritting his teeth like he was actually working hard. Actually it looked pretty homo. They were less polite when I asked them how long they were going to be though.

Edited by easyWeight

What MRI?

You kids, I tell ya...

Said the younger man to the older man..........

Jeez Matt, where do you find the time to be so reputable on more than one board? 1016 posts here 2500 on Marunde anywhere else?.......go outside man! :tongue

Guest drfish

6/4/08

Log

work up to 192 (I think) doing singles and doubles mostly. Working on split jerk.

Cleans - barbell

A lot. Working on fixing my bad form. Asked Darin to take a look and see what looks wrong. I think it was easy for hiim to see I don't have any explosive horizontal hip movement. I sort of muscle it up with leg drive and back extension I'd say. Now I just need to fix it, which will take some practice.

Lat Pulldowns

kept it light.

Getting ready for Iowa.

Guest drfish

6/5/08

Wanted to document this quick water loss process in case I need to do it again.... or to remember that it sucked at just don't be in this position in the first place.

At about 6:00 pm this day (about 24 hours out from weigh in for IA) I was 237, so I have 6 lbs to lose. I had been loading up on water (2 gallons per day) and sodium, with plans to cut sodium at this point, and water 12 hours later, but I got impatient.

Full body workout

use weights @ 50% or lighter. Only rest b/w sets was to move or setup. Did this for 30 minutes.

Treadmill on incline - 10 min

Stat Bike - 10 min

Drank some water.

Lost 1 Lb from this workout.

Took a hot bath for 20 min. Sat in hot bathroom for 30 minutes. Lost 2 lbs.

Slept, pissed. Lost 2 lbs.

Hot bath again for 15 minutes. Lost .5 Lb.

Was just over 231 at 9:00 am day of weigh in. Drank about 16 ounces of water and had 1 spoon of natural no-sodium peanut butter.

Weighed in at 231 (but this includes 2 Lbs of clothes) so really 229. This was at about 6:00 pm or so.

Guest drfish

6/7/08

ISM - my first contest

OH Medley

88 Lb Kettlebell, 220 8" log, 240 axle x miss, 270 12" log - didn't attempt

Silver Dollar Deadlift

550, 600, 650, 700 miss

Farmers Walk x 80'

Yoke x 60'

Stones

220, 245, 275, 300, 330 miss

Not sure on any of my times. Hopefully they'll post them.

I felt I was decent on the DL, FW, and Yoke. Pretty poor on the OH and stones. That's ok though. It will be fun getting better.

I was reflecting back about my training today. I started lifting 1 year ago this month (after a 6 year layoff). Started strongman training 3 months ago. Trained strongman events on 10 saturdays plus some OH log work and grip work at other times. Gains have come fast and relatively easy so far, even though they're slowing way down now. I learned a ton about my weaknesses compared to other guys. I'm glad I went even though I could've used more prep.

It was a lot of fun watching the heavyweight guys from Fargo do well against the tough competition from all across the country. Also watching John in the lightweights absolutely tear through the competition in the yoke, fw, and stones. Good job to John and Darin both in the first contests as well. I'm looking forward to training and competing with these guys in the future.