Training Log

Guest drfish

Dude, you did awesome at Iowa. And what's this about 10 Saturdays of training. I told everyone it was more like three, lol! For as little time that you had working with the implements you did really well. Awesome job man!

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• easyWeight

• Matt Brouse

• carusom1

• jwdeff

Guest drfish

6/10/08

Grip Training

2x4 pinch deadlift

double 2x4

3 x 1 x 110

single 2x4

1 x 4 x 110

Grippers

work up to #2. close the #2, but with a parallel set

Levering

just a little here because my wrists are still sore from loading stones at comp

Foam Roller

I decided to take Monday and Tuesday off from lifting because my back was pretty sore. I'm going to the chiro today because my back is still sore 4 days later. That's not normal for me. And the soreness is centered right over my spine which worries me a little.

Guest drfish

Just got back from the chiro. I'm sort of relieved because it's nothing serious. Most likely I strained the tiny ligaments between the vertebrae in the area where the lumbar and thoracic spine meet. That's why it's so tender. Will probably heal ok. Just need to lay off a day or two more. And ice it down. He recommends icing your back and knees with every heavy squat or deadlift workout as a preventative measure.

The chiropracter was a guy who lifts at the sportcenter. He's a bodybuilder, but he lifts a lot like a powerlifter, and he knows about strongman, so that was nice. He's one of a few guys I see squating with a lot of weight and really good form. He gave a good explanation of why an 18" deadlift can be hard on your back, besides the obvious reasons.

Guest drfish

His name is Tom Kemper and his practice is Natural Health and Chiropractic. Real nice guy. I sort of knew before hand because I googled the bodybuilding contest here in town and his name came up. I didn't fully realize that he was a guy I see regularly at the sportscenter though.

Guest drfish

6/12/08

Power Clean and Press

singles and doubles

225 miss the press

225 miss the press

Working on form on the cleans. I think it is getting better, or at least different than before. I actually kept the bar close enough to my thighs so it sort of bounced off when I started the 2nd pull (I know it's supposed to just graze the thighs). I'm definitely getting enough bar height at this weight. I caught it with only a slight knee bend. So if I can learn to dip under better, I should be able to clean more. Now being able to press it, well that's not going so well.

Dumbell OH press - strict - standing

40x5

55x5

60x5

70x3

80x1

Incline Bench - barbell

135 x3

135 x5

135 x8

Pullups

BW x 6 - pronated

BW x 6 - supinated

Dips

BW x10

BW x10

Cable Upper back - 2 pulley

160x14

160x14

Dumbell Reverse fly - rear delt

25x10

30x8

20x6

Technically, a true power clean shouldn't entail any, or very little, knee bend to rack the bar. Check out these vids.

This guy knows his shit and I found what he teaches nearly invaluable.

Also a Dan John Video that's definitely worth watching

http://thefitcast.com/?p=108

Edited by easyWeight

Guest drfish

6/14/08

Squat

135x5

225x3

315x3

365x1 - add belt here, but kept it fairly loose for all sets

405x1 - start wrapping knees here

455x1

465x1

Starting to really like wrapping my knees now. My knees are much less sore the next day. I think it has helped with reducing the crepitus that I've been noticing in my left knee.

RDL

315x5

405x5

Good Mornings - arched back

225x8

275x8

325x8

Shrugs

225x5

315x5

405x5

KB snatches

60x5 each arm

60x5

KB cleans

60x5

Workout felt good today. Really happy about the squats, especialy since I felt I had a bad deadlift day a couple weeks ago. Also my back felt pretty good. With the adjustment from the chiropracter and using some ice it made a big difference.

Guest drfish
Technically, a true power clean shouldn't entail any, or very little, knee bend to rack the bar. Check out these vids.

Great videos, I need to study them more later. Thanks for posting those!

What MRI?

You kids, I tell ya...

Said the awesome man to the older man..........

Jeez Matt, where do you find the time to be so reputable on more than one board? 1016 posts here 2500 on Marunde anywhere else?.......go outside man! :tongue

At least 3 other boards, and 2 I don't see much these days. Why? Isn't that normal?

KELLY, I hear the the vine of grape that you hit that 465 so I came to check it myself and virtually shake your hand. Good work, my man.

Guest drfish
KELLY, I hear the the vine of grape that you hit that 465 so I came to check it myself and virtually shake your hand. Good work, my man.

Thanks Matt. Now I just need to learn to clean like a man.

Guest drfish

6/16/08

Attempting some dynamic OH, then assistance.

shoulder warm-up

One-arm Dumbell OH - strict

40x5

50x5

One-arm Dumbell OH - PP

65x3

75x3

85x3 (miss the 3rd on left arm - weak)

Barbell PP

3x5x135

Experimenting with hand positioning and technique. Hurts like hell any way I do it. The barbell just feels like it's tearing my shoulders up.

Dips

3x10xBW

Pullups

BW

8 - neutral

6 - pronanted

6 - supinated

Dumbell Reverse Fly

30x8

35x8

40x8

Cable Upper Back - 2 pulley

150x11

150x14

Guest drfish

6/17/08

Cleans

sets of 1, 2, or 3

Didn't work up any higher on cleans because they felt terrible. The only explanation is a vagina. I must have one hidden on my body somewhere. I'm gonna get 2 mirrors and check myself out thoroughly. Then look for a surgeon to remove it.

Speed Box Squat

6x3x225

Stiff Leg Deadlift

225x8

315x8

315x7

315x8

Cable Pull Through - 2 pulley

130x8

190x8

250x8

Edited by drfish

Don't let yourself get down on the cleans. Last summer I did them the whole time and over the space of two months I only improved 5 kilos which was appalling. It was only when I really tried to educate myself beyond the traditional field sports approach towards weightlifting that little technique points started to click and I would start to improve again. Then, I would get to another plateau again and I would learn something new that is so minor but has a major effect and I would improve again. These are the cycles that affect my lifting and my gripper work. My grippers only improved past a minor plateau when I educated myself and watched Gumpster's videos on how to set a gripper. It clicked and that day I had major PRs. Once you learn the technical aspects of a lift or exercise, then you gain strength in it and this is where you will kick ass, so keep patient and go and watch 'The world's most powerful lift' to help you with the clean and jerk. There is a variety of ways to get this ;)

Guest drfish
If you do end up finding a vagina, I'd say keep it. You never know when it will come in handy.

Good call.

I just had that "ultrascan directed injection" of cortisone today to my left long head biceps tendon. The PA who was looking at the scan said I had "good looking tendons"... the rotator ones... not the biceps one I assume. I think he was coming on to me. j/k. I asked him to elaborate, and he said that just means that they are healthy, not torn. So that is good. He saw one bad thing when put the wand on the very top of my shoulder. I can't remember what was bad though. I got to see the needle go in right to the tendon via his fancy screen.

The PA asked what movements hurt. I said lifting something over my head. He said don't do those movements anymore, you can do other exercises to strengthen your shoulder. I said yes, but I'm not just lifting for the hell of it. I'm trying to compete in strongman, and therefore need to lift shit over my head. He just stared at me with a blank look. He didn't have any other advice. So I punched him. j/k.

Maybe I just know you well enough, but why the hell don't you talk like this at the gym? Lifting verbiage has hit critical levels lately. I insist on more vulgarity!!

Guest drfish

6/19/08

Shoulder warmup

Bench Press

135x8

185x3

225x3

245x3 (I think, could've been a single...)

270x1

305x1

315x1 - sort of made this lift. Bar came out of the groove and Darin possibly gave it a nudge horizontally. But I say what the hell, I'm counting it! :D

Pullups

8 - neutral

6 - pro

8 - neutral

Dips

BWx10

BWx12

BW+50x9

BW+75x3

Dumbell Reverse Fly

20x8

30x10

35x8

40x8

Cable Tri Ext

60x10

85x8

100x8

Dumbell row

80x8

80x8

Stretch

Decided not to do overhead today because of the shot in shoulder yesterday. Tried bench because that usually doesn't hurt as much. Turned out well, got a decent PR.

Edited by drfish

6/19/08

305x1

315x1 - sort of made this lift. Bar came out of the groove and Darin possibly gave it a nudge horizontally. But I say what the hell, I'm counting it! :D

No nudges man, it was all you. Horizontal nudging would be a bad idea, especially if it resulted in 315 lbs in your gut spread across a mire 1". Awesome job yesterday!

Guest drfish

6/21/08

Snatch

Overhead Squats

bar only - work on form

FW - Reese's handles

130x100'

240x80'

290x40'

330x2' - 1 drop. Yes, that is 2 whole feet with one drop. I may be weak, but I sure am slow.

Grip was first to go. Then all muscles, then spleen, then bowel control.

Stones

series 1

225x58" (miss), 225x58" (miss), 225x58", 235x53", 240x48" (I think I did that last one, can't quite remember)

series 2

235x53" x4 reps

single

225x58"

Guest drfish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpQo19c54rw

Some of the above listed stones are in here.

Thanks Matt. That does help to see what I look like. I definitely see some things to change. For one, my back is rounded a lot more than I thought. Especially up high. Doesn't hurt, but looks wrong. From the ground to the lap looks wrong too... so everything I guess.

On a side note, is your signature serious? Did you really bench 500 lbs?

Guest drfish

6/23/08

I'm in Orlando this week so I went to the closest decent gym I could find. The only one was Gold's Gym. I'm going to find something different next time. It's huge and they have everything... except a platform and a decent power rack. I got a lot of strange looks when I was doing one-arm standing dumbell push press. Probably for three reasons, 1) it wasn't a strict movement, 2) I was standing, 3) I was doing overhead with just one arm. I think I saw some guy's head almost explode when he saw that, smoke starting coming out of his ears, as well as some feces.

One-arm Dumbell Push Press

50x3, 60x3, 70x3, 80x3, 90x3

100x2 right

100x1 left

Dumbell Bench

100x5

110x3

120x4

Pullups - neutral grip

3x6xBW

Barbell Rows

135x10

185x8

185x10

Dips

BWx10

BWx16

Dumbell Reverse Fly

25x10

35x8

35x8

On a side note, is your signature serious? Did you really bench 500 lbs?

Goals, my man, goals.

As far as the back position goes...take some time to cruise through and find as many stone loading videos as you can. You seen, 'round back lifting' as it is termed isn't inherently bad, in fact it is the legitimate style of odd object lifting. Now, some legitimate professionals you know in the field may take objection to this but riddle my this; is the back for some reason the only "body part" that is designed for use solely in a static or isometric fashion? Seriously, as you practice and bcome stronger this action will feel much more effective and natural.

Also, they are called spinal erectors...as in to erect the spine both in extension and statically.

Also, also, erect.

Also, also, also, as you approach a few more medicinal types with issues stemming from your new found hobby prepare for even longer blank stares and more precise prescriptions of adopting a sedentary and pathetic waste of oxygen lifestyle simialar to their own. Bunch of wankers.