Gripmas Carol 2008

climber511

Hey Chris- Would you consider allowing IPF legal 12" wraps? You'd get a pretty good standard. Not that I have anything better, but in case we wanna use what we are in training.

Bob I know diddly about wraps (IPF or otherwise) - I just figured that if everyone used the exact same wrap - then it couldn't be any more fair - and no one could complain that - "well he used a better wrap". If someone has and brings a wrap such as you are talking about - I would have no problem with using it - that is as long as everyone used the same exact one. I also thought that using a wrap that had been provided by a company that sponsors many of our contests was a small way of telling them Thanks for what they do for us here in Gripland.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• MalachiMcMullen

• jad

• Bob Lipinski

I'm back from my climbing trip - it was a great time. Good weather - good friends, both old and new, and some real nice climbing - I met Weldon and his lovely family and made the swap of the decade with him - pictures will follow when I get around to it. Andrew showed up and we got him up a few nice routes too.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures on here. I've been holding off saying anything until you got back. Glad you made it back safe.

Do you plan on making "Gracie" part of the medley at Gripmas?

I'm back from my climbing trip - it was a great time. Good weather - good friends, both old and new, and some real nice climbing - I met Weldon and his lovely family and made the swap of the decade with him - pictures will follow when I get around to it. Andrew showed up and we got him up a few nice routes too.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures on here. I've been holding off saying anything until you got back. Glad you made it back safe.

Do you plan on making "Gracie" part of the medley at Gripmas?

Gracie will certainly be on stage in the medley event here at Gripmas. For many of us - it will probably never achieve "liftoff" though. :blush We had a great rest of the week after you left with some nice climbing and a few more trips up the stairmaster - my legs are tired.

For more info on Gracie, there is a new thread, "the birth of the gracie bell" complete with pictures of her being built.

Okay Chris, no biggie. APT wraps are about as good as you get anyways. I am game for whatever you want to do.

A couple of questions:

How do you guys secure the wire to the Weaver stick? Does it matter how far away the weights hanging off of the wire are from the stick?

Are all events other than the 2HP going to be one hand contested only? Can you switch hands between attempts?

Has anyone reserved any hotel rooms yet to stay at for the contest? Where are you guys planning on staying?

A couple of questions:

How do you guys secure the wire to the Weaver stick? Does it matter how far away the weights hanging off of the wire are from the stick? I made a shallow groove and wrapped the wire in it with a loop below.

Are all events other than the 2HP going to be one hand contested only? Grippers are either hand but not both at once :D .

2HP is both of course. One hand DL is either hand. Weaver Stick is either hand. There will be both one and two hand events in the medley.

Can you switch hands between attempts? You may do your first attempt lefty - then second righty so yes you may switch on each different attempt.

Has anyone reserved any hotel rooms yet to stay at for the contest? Where are you guys planning on staying?

Will The Humbler make another appearance in the medley this year?

Somethings old and somethings new - maybe even something blue - but it's all going to be heavier than......... before hehe!

Will The Humbler make another appearance in the medley this year?

Somethings old and somethings new - maybe even something blue - but it's all going to be heavier than......... before hehe!

I started actually working on the Medley today - tried out close to 40 different items - crike, what a workout! You guys are gonna love this one!

I would like to borrow 2 Rolling Thunders and an IM Little Big Horn for Gripmas - if anyone that's coming can help me out - please let me know. Also any one that has calibrated grippers please bring them as well - the more the merrier.

I would like to borrow 2 Rolling Thunders and an IM Little Big Horn for Gripmas - if anyone that's coming can help me out - please let me know. Also any one that has calibrated grippers please bring them as well - the more the merrier.

I've got a used-3-times RT handle and a 139, 140, 148/152, 155, 178 and a 222 gripper that I'd be glad to bring along Chris. Though, the 155, 178 and 222 are all RB's and so would be WAAAAAAAAAAAY harder than the poundage would indicate.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Chris,

Would it be possible to bring my grippers with me and get them cal'd before the comp? Or after if time is an issue.

Brent

Chris,

Would it be possible to bring my grippers with me and get them cal'd before the comp? Or after if time is an issue.

Brent

Of course.

One thing I want to mention - I will have a Dinnie Stone trainer set - up available after the contest for anyone who ever wondered if they could lift them. The weight will be 734# just like in Scotland :)

One thing I want to mention - I will have a Dinnie Stone trainer set - up available after the contest for anyone who ever wondered if they could lift them. The weight will be 734# just like in Scotland :)

:cry :cry :cry I'm crying tears of happiness actually :cry :cry :cry I've always wanted to try that!!!

The Dinnie Stones trainer sounds cool.

My wife evidently sent out my contest entry this morning so you should be getting it sometime in the next couple days.

I made myself a plate pinch setup earlier this week to train with. Now I just need to make my Weaver stick and start training it and I'll be set. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you have in store for the Medley.

I have a spare RT and lots of calibrated grippers.

Please bring them! And if any of you have extra hose clamps, bring those too please.

John Beatty and FBBC has agreed to be a sponsor for Gripmas.

Strongman Chris Rider has come on board as well - still waiting on confirmation from some others. Thanks to everyone for helping out. Please remember all the people and companies who support us when it comes time to spend your money.

I looked at the entry form and couldn't find an answer. Does the oly bar for the one hand deadlift have knurling at the center?

Brent

I looked at the entry form and couldn't find an answer. Does the oly bar for the one hand deadlift have knurling at the center?

Brent

Yes Brent it will be a bushing (not bearings) bar with center knurling.