Gripmas Carol 2008

climber511

"Calibrated Grippers in chokers" and weight classes; I'd like to support any contest that includes those features-so I'll be there if I can find one or more guys near me who will share a ride (Scott, Anson, Chad, etc.)

It Looks like I might be able to help ya out! i surly don't won't to miss two contest in a year. see ya in October.

Scott - are you back now? Awesome - can't wait to hear some stories about the little trip ya took.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• MalachiMcMullen

• jad

• Bob Lipinski

"Calibrated Grippers in chokers" and weight classes; I'd like to support any contest that includes those features-so I'll be there if I can find one or more guys near me who will share a ride (Scott, Anson, Chad, etc.)

It Looks like I might be able to help ya out! i surly don't won't to miss two contest in a year. see ya in October.

Scott - are you back now? Awesome - can't wait to hear some stories about the little trip ya took.

I not back yet, got 21 days to go. Its been interesting to say the least. :blink many, many stories to tell.

I can't wait to get back to the best country on the plant!

count me in for gripmas! I have a new found desire to train when I get back.

Hey Chris,

I'll be there this year. Already got the day off!! I might bring a buddy who is in to weightlifting/bodybuilding. I recently told him about plate pinching and hub lifting and he's been practicing. By the way, since I'm fairly close let me know if I can do anything to help out.

Tim

Hey Chris,

I'll be there this year. Already got the day off!! I might bring a buddy who is in to weightlifting/bodybuilding. I recently told him about plate pinching and hub lifting and he's been practicing. By the way, since I'm fairly close let me know if I can do anything to help out.

Tim

Great news - bring Dave with you to - the big sissy :D ! Bring you friend - the idea is to introduce new people to our sport!

Hey Chris,

Tim

Great news - bring Dave with you to - the big sissy :D ! Bring you friend - the idea is to introduce new people to our sport!

HA HA. I will pass the message on.

What about a 1-arm, thick handle dumbbell snatch? Say, a 3" handle?

Ha, I'd be in but trust me, the weights would be tiny and Durniat would win. He's snatched my 126lb 2.535" handled solid DB :whacked

Perhaps you should show up then big guy ;)

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Ha, I'd be in but trust me, the weights would be tiny and Durniat would win. He's snatched my 126lb 2.535" handled solid DB :whacked

Perhaps you should show up then big guy ;)

A little gentle ribbing...I like it.

The advantage does go to the big KB guys on that event.

...back to the drawing board, I guess. :D

Scott, that would be great to ride up with you and hopefully Anson again (Chad might want to come up as well). I hope you are back for good this time, hate to see you away for so long and we'll need to have a grip-together when you get back.

Scott, that would be great to ride up with you and hopefully Anson again (Chad might want to come up as well). I hope you are back for good this time, hate to see you away for so long and we'll need to have a grip-together when you get back.

Yep to the get together. Your going to have to catch me up on some stuff.

Chris could you explain the one hand Olympic DL. is this on a 7ft bar? between the legs style lift?

just want to make sure i understand it.

Edited by madss

I would say that is the way he will do it in the comp. I am sure he will chime in soon to clarify if not.

The one-hand DL! That's cool. Too bad I'll miss it.

Chris could you explain the one hand Olympic DL. is this on a 7ft bar? between the legs style lift?

just want to make sure i understand it.

I'm pretty sure he'll allow either straddle style or in front of you style. At least I hope so :unsure Maybe it's just me, but the OHBBDL with an OLY bar when the bar is in the regular DL position is the most comfortable.

Just as a point of interest, I have practiced one hand DL both straddle-style and conventional and can do 30 lbs. more conventional.

Just as a point of interest, I have practiced one hand DL both straddle-style and conventional and can do 30 lbs. more conventional.

Are you holding it on top of your thighs at lockout? Or are you just holding it there as a locked out deadlift should be?

I should mention too that putting the OHDL in there is playing to a certain someone's strengths :laugh

Are you holding it on top of your thighs at lockout? Or are you just holding it there as a locked out deadlift should be?

I did not brace with my thighs, but I didn't really hold it there either. I just went up to lockout and down pretty much as fast as possible before it could tilt and crash into the floor. It's not like anyone was judging me, and if I had to wait for a down signal, most of my lifts might not have counted.

I should mention too that putting the OHDL in there is playing to a certain someone's strengths :laugh

Andrews?

Andrews?

I wont tell who it is unless they do :D That being said, it's not Andrew I'm thinking of.

Andrews?

I wont tell who it is unless they do :D That being said, it's not Andrew I'm thinking of.

Well, I'm sure it ain't me boys - I suck at one hand DL, I've got my butt kicked every time we've tried it - in general, it seems like big Vbar lifters do well on this lift. But my changing from Axle to this - I think all handsize advantages that can be addressed have been for this contest. That said the rules are the ones on David Horne's website as follows.

One Hand Deadlift using an Olympic Bar (with no hook grip).

The bar may either be raised in front of the lifter, or the lifter may straddle the bar. Hook gripping is not permitted. The free hand may be used to brace against the opposing leg. Foot spacing is optional, but may not change once the lift begins. Heels and toes may rise. The bar must be raised to a point where both ends of the bar are pulled to a height of mid knees or above and the legs must be straightened. The shoulders do not have to be pulled erect, nor the body straight as long as the legs are straight and the bar motionless with both ends above the knee joint. The lift ends with the referee's signal, and then you must lower the weight under control.

I've pulled 440# with a hook grip straddle style, so this should be interesting.

:blink

I've done 275 no hook, conventional and thought that was pretty good.

I've pulled 440# with a hook grip straddle style, so this should be interesting.

:blink

I've done 275 no hook, conventional and thought that was pretty good.

That's a whole lot better than I have managed - well both of those lifts :D

Edited by climber511