Gripmas Carol 2008

climber511

I've got tenative approval from the wife now. So hopefully I'll be able to make it to Gripmas if things work out.

Awesome! Now be nice to her so she doesn't change her mind :D

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• MalachiMcMullen

• jad

• Bob Lipinski

Looks like I have a good shot at competing at Gripmas also! :rock

I really hope you can make it Chad!!! At 201, you'll be a top contender in the LW class!!!

How high will the table be for Weaver stick?

I second the question and add to it with "Will it be set up differently for each competitor as Bob did at MGC6 for the hammers?"

What a small world!! I grew up in Uniontown, PA. I'll be at Gripmas, looking forward to meeting ya!!

What a small world!! I grew up in Uniontown, PA. I'll be at Gripmas, looking forward to meeting ya!!

Hell yeah same here man!

OK after a few attempts, a decision has been made, you guys have some freakish weaver stick numbers!!! My lifts left me feeling like a very small school girl.

So what do the 90 degree brackets do? they are the only things i am missing.

props to any big stick lifters!! :bow

OK after a few attempts, a decision has been made, you guys have some freakish weaver stick numbers!!! My lifts left me feeling like a very small school girl.

So what do the 90 degree brackets do? they are the only things i am missing.

props to any big stick lifters!! :bow

They make sure your hand can only go back towards the weighted end so far meaning everyone lifts from the same leverage point, you can also cramp your fingers into the bracket which can help the lift abit.

The height of the table has to be of a height where the stick will not already be parallel to the ground before the lift commences, so its only usually an issue for really short ppl if using a standard dining table for example. As far as I know there is alot grey areas regarding the weaver lift, material and weight of stick, if it wasnt for Chris Moore who lifted with David Horne in the early 90's, we all would have been lifting wrong at the last Melbourne Iron grip contest. Once again as with other lifts, there has to be a standard with this lift so that there are no grey areas, the lads with the most experience should get together and do a write up of the front and rear lift.

Edited by verdigriz

Sweet! I hope you can make it Chad. I look forward to meeting you! :cool

I have a question about the one hand deadlift. I did some yesterday when training and used the straddle method. The rules you posted said the legs need to be straight but does that mean locked out? Because I run out of room between my legs for the bar to move up before my legs are locked out.

I'd rather use the straddle method since I'm more comfortable with it and think it will produce less torque on my back but if I have to I'll start learning how to do the lift the other way.

I have a question about the one hand deadlift. I did some yesterday when training and used the straddle method. The rules you posted said the legs need to be straight but does that mean locked out? Because I run out of room between my legs for the bar to move up before my legs are locked out.

I'd rather use the straddle method since I'm more comfortable with it and think it will produce less torque on my back but if I have to I'll start learning how to do the lift the other way.

As I understand it, you can do it either way. "Lockout" is not required but both ends of the barbell must come above the knees and your legs must lock, not necessarily your back.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Same here big guy!!!

I vowed not to shave till the contest...this will hopefully give me a grizzly adams kind of intimidation to Zach :tongue

Same here big guy!!!

I vowed not to shave till the contest...this will hopefully give me a grizzly adams kind of intimidation to Zach :tongue

HA! Nice try Chad. I don't know if I'm going to shave until the contest now! I've got a grizzly adams thing going on right now :devil

no you can't shave!!! I think it will be helarious to show up there looking like two lumber jacks :D

Here is my current status...I haven't slept yet since drinking all night :)

Wendler look-a-like

I swear I could pass for Jim Wendler from EFS on a drivers license photo :rock

Chris is away climbing for 2 weeks. I am sure he will be on this when he gets back.

I'll still be there. Planning on a run on some weaver stick weights, but 14 pounds is about my limit so far.

Are you going to train with a wrap or without?

Are we elligible to break Steve's record? If not, you should start an American list for this too.

Edited by jad

I would say we are eligible to break Steve's record, but that would be up to David Horne to decide I think.

I'm training with wraps. I know I can do 12.5 easy no wraps, now I am training with 12.5+HG150 (grippers make good weaver stick weights).

Not sure about the list. I might keep one but not publish it yet- Lots of people have asked for lists on this and that, but I don't keep them unless the event is going to be held more than once in a blue moon. Don't want to seem to show any favoritism cause I am good at something.

I'm not getting too cocky about breaking Steve's record yet. I'm not really too close in training. I've done close to 14 pounds, 17 is a long way in weaver stick land.

is the wrap a normal bench wrist wrap?

I would say we are eligible to break Steve's record, but that would be up to David Horne to decide I think.

I'm training with wraps. I know I can do 12.5 easy no wraps, now I am training with 12.5+HG150 (grippers make good weaver stick weights).

Not sure about the list. I might keep one but not publish it yet- Lots of people have asked for lists on this and that, but I don't keep them unless the event is going to be held more than once in a blue moon. Don't want to seem to show any favoritism cause I am good at something.

I'm not getting too cocky about breaking Steve's record yet. I'm not really too close in training. I've done close to 14 pounds, 17 is a long way in weaver stick land.

I'm back from my climbing trip - it was a great time. Good weather - good friends, both old and new, and some real nice climbing - I met Weldon and his lovely family and made the swap of the decade with him - pictures will follow when I get around to it. Andrew showed up and we got him up a few nice routes too.

I see we had a post locked - too tired to read it all and see what kind of insanity happened right now. I'll get up the rules for the Weaver Stick as best I can but David's rules will apply as closely as possible - I'll PM him and get the best possible description of the setup etc and then post it. The wrap I plan to use right now (unless David says they use something different) is an APT 12" wrist wrap - everyone will use the exact same wrap for fairness.

I'm back from my climbing trip - it was a great time. Good weather - good friends, both old and new, and some real nice climbing - I met Weldon and his lovely family and made the swap of the decade with him - pictures will follow when I get around to it. Andrew showed up and we got him up a few nice routes too.

I see we had a post locked - too tired to read it all and see what kind of insanity happened right now. I'll get up the rules for the Weaver Stick as best I can but David's rules will apply as closely as possible - I'll PM him and get the best possible description of the setup etc and then post it. The wrap I plan to use right now (unless David says they use something different) is an APT 12" wrist wrap - everyone will use the exact same wrap for fairness.

Is that the black one with the white stripes and the thumb loop? I won mine at BBB3 so I'm just curious if it's the same one.

I'm going to check with my wife, if she's out of school by then maybe I could come & play. I'd like to get to sombody else's show once. Won't be able to for the next 2 years for sure.

Is that the black one with the white stripes and the thumb loop? I won mine at BBB3 so I'm just curious if it's the same one.

Mine are gray with black stripes and thumb loop - not sure how they compare.

I'm going to check with my wife, if she's out of school by then maybe I could come & play. I'd like to get to sombody else's show once. Won't be able to for the next 2 years for sure.

Sure hope you can make it John - sweet talk the wife - sometimes flowers etc can help :D

Hey Chris- Would you consider allowing IPF legal 12" wraps? You'd get a pretty good standard. Not that I have anything better, but in case we wanna use what we are in training.