Gripmas Carol 2008

climber511

Nice report Zach! What kind of DO bending did you do? And what's the reference about Gazza's bends? Did he fly over and I just was asleep or living in a cave?

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• MalachiMcMullen

• jad

• Bob Lipinski

Nice report Zach! What kind of DO bending did you do? And what's the reference about Gazza's bends? Did he fly over and I just was asleep or living in a cave?

Ah, I forgot to mention that. Chris finegled and finogled and had some of Gazza's incredible bends to give out as trophies. Stuff like his Maniacal Shiny bend(seriously, WTF) which is even smaller in person, some 3/8 DR, and lots of 7/16 in different materials including a 6" Stainless piece at what looked like 3-4".

Ah, I forgot to mention that. Chris finegled and finogled and had some of Gazza's incredible bends to give out as trophies. Stuff like his Maniacal Shiny bend(seriously, WTF) which is even smaller in person, some 3/8 DR, and lots of 7/16 in different materials including a 6" Stainless piece at what looked like 3-4".

for the love of god... :blink

for the love of god... :blink

You could've seen all that and more if you had just quit your job and attended the contest...

yeah like me falling on my ass, spraining my ankle trying to help set up the medly.

i'm the only person i know who can go to a grip contest, not compete, and walk away wounded. lol

i just shake my head, lol

As usual Chris put on a great contest, good food, good people.Thanks Chris ,Thersa, and everyone who helped. I kinda sucked but considering my strict workout regemit this past year I was pretty happy with my performance didn't suck as bad as I expected to even one up my grippers from last year showing all my gripper workout payed off ;) . I was pretty happy with some of the stuff I pulled off after the comp. The dinnie stone trainer took it's toll on me and the little track/cheerleader girl that was kicking my but at jumps and flexibilty stuff I'm paying for today. I have ring around the palm form those rings on the dinnie stone lift. I was happy to get it done though got that and acouple haven't dones off the list Nick will probaly get some video up when he gets a chance of the stuff some of the gys did. Jedd was awesome on the 2HP, and Dave was killing the 1HDL not to mention the weight he did left was almost more than I've ever did either hand. Chris himself was really on, it was the Chris show quite often thru the comp. Bob (Odin) Suddin was very impressive all kinds of strength and drive rapped up in a little package with his drive if he keeps up defintely gonna give us smaller guys something to be proud of. Brent ( barbe705) or is it Barbie :D really making jumps from last year when he showed up for the first time in Grip watch out strong all around. Jon Eaton well enough siad her I guess :D I meant what I said you shave it off and I'll have to make an effort with no excuse anymore and try to take it easy on those callouses on the right hand you could put an eye out or something :D . It was nice to see Scott again eventhough he wooped me nice to see him in one piece all at ounce no bandages or anything. Zach put some shoes on you nut :D . Well to everyone I haven't mention my wife needs on the computer so thanks for the company and good time great bunch of guys. I still miss the frying pan days though Chris :D . See you next time

p.s. the medley sucked I hate almost getting stuff did that way to many times I'd rather it was stuck to the floor than come half way then fall almost makes me want to train agian. :blink

Jedd broke set a new american record by 1 pound. he was very close at the new worlds but, it wasn't in the cards.

the medley was heavy and fun, as always.

we had a lot fewer grippers than last year since Josh Dale wasn't there being all super human.

I still don't like the weaver stick or one hand deadlift.

and chris rice had a huge night. I don't know what he's been doing but, he was unstoppable.

thanks to chris for an amazing comp. and thansk to everyone else for making it such a fun day.

Brent

I know what he was doing I think I heard it summed up as " He did the events 472 times he's doing it that way because that is the most efficent way possible" :D

Too much fun for me. I am dead tired. It was great competing against Scott, Bob, and that old guy who whipped my ass good.

Jedd did 245 in the 2 hand pinch. Eaton and Jedd did 13.5 in the weaver, and Dave Thorton won the grippers with 188 and the one hand DL with 298. The one hand DL was lefty. Jedd did the best in the medley with 19/20 I think, and Dave+Chris were right around 17-18.

Also, the best after contest feat was the lifting of the 180-something 2.5" thick handle "Thorton-Johnson" dumbell.

Edited by Bob Lipinski

Gripmas was awesome. It was great to talk to all the guys again, and meet some new ones. I hit a PR in every event this year! 163.something in grippers, 190 in 2HP, 243 in OHDL, my medley sucked :blush(were not all superhuman Chris!! ;) ),

and got 12.85# up in the weaver(peeved about this, as I ran out of attempts, and could've gone higher). At any rate, I did better in everything since last year, so I'm happy.

After contest was a blast. Zach bent a shiny lying on his back. :rock Nick was bending insane shoes(and hearting them). Jedd and Dave were picking up everything in sight without a problem. Chris was keeping up with gymnastic girl and nature boy Coulter in the high/long jumping going on. Doug Sides was a pleasure to meet, and shared some awesome kettlebell training and insight. He also was generous enough to give me some tough CRS square(Thanks again Doug!). I managed to lift the Gracie bell, but only by tilting it :blush . I also pulled a 40# blob for the first time. :rock That crazy 20# log hammer was a blast to lever, and I managed to get it to the rear and to the face! :rock I only bent a few things; a bastard and a shiny to show Doug the DU technique, and got a 4 7/8'' 5/16'' JH g5 to about 70 deg. Zach put a good wobble in a big G8 :rock:blink ,

and I Ostlund/hotdog wrapped and bent a 60d DU. Jedd was a riot to hang out with, he always had something hilarious to say. Eaton is a beast, and a heck of a nice guy. He shared a lot of technique and knowledge with me, and was....uh...."admiring" my bending wraps. Odin (Bob Sundin) is a friggin' animal! That guy tries with all his heart on every attempt. His work ethic has paid off; he has the strength of a man twice his size. Barbe is huge!! He had little trouble with anything in the comp. Look for him to rock some comps very soon. Jesse had that natural "big man" strength. He made everything look easy.....very easy!!! :blink :blink Well, I gotta go, I'm tired, so more to come later.... :cool

I am too sore to move without pain - gonna make some coffee and then I have to go start cleaning up the garage - looks like an all day (week) job the way I'm moving right now. Man did I have fun!!!! Trying to keep up with Zach "nature boy" Coulter, "little bit" (the girl I train), and Stew just about did me in in the after show. I have a little work to do with the 2 HP weights to figure the exact weight lifted (add up actual plate weights) and then I'll post complete results for everything. I'll make a big write up after I catch up with myself but I couldn't believe how much stronger some of you were from last year. A great time!

I want to send out a huge THANKS to all the sponsors and helpers. Mary Ann Barbe, Josh Rice, Sean Dockery and Nicole Keister (little bit) for working all day running the contest for me - it was a great help not to have to do it all myself. And thanks to everyone for helping load and doing all the little things that need done in a contest like this.

I wanna thank Doc for judging, Mary Ann for score keeping, Chris and his wife for the gracious hospitality and awesome food, and all the guys for putting up with my blinding head-glare(jk!).

My events, lets see.....

Grippers-- I was scared about this one. My grippers were way weak before the comp, so I was hoping to at least get a 2.5 closed to get on the board. I was surprised when I grabbed a 156 #3 to try out and closed it easy. Ended up closing a 163.8(I think?). Missed a 168# 3.5 by like a hair.

2HP-- I now think I should have tried the narrower 45mm width, as the 54mm felt awkwardly wide. I pulled 190, so I was happy, but think with a narrower width, 200 would have fallen.

1 hdl-- Surprised here, as my best training pull was 235. I pulled 243 in the comp. Yay!

Medley---Ugggh. I need to work on my thickbar and wide pinch. I got 6 implements up, but anything thickbar or pinch related was glued to the floor. Did I mention either Chris turned up the gravity, or the medley was HEAVY this year!!! :D

Weaver stick- I was too apprehensive and took attempts too early at too light a weight. Started left, up to 11ish#'s, then switched to right and it clicked. Hit my second wind on my last attempt. DOH! 12.85# went up, and I had more in the tank, but no attempts left. I think I could have gotten 13.5 up.

That's about it, I am looking forward to next year. I plan on being at least 20lbs. heavier, FAR stronger on pinch and thickbar and grippers, and gunning for a top 5 spot!!!! Later! :rock

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pUx...E5new&hl=en

Let's see if this works - my computer skills are kind of limited - like REAL limited. I want to check all the numbers again but I think everything is right except the 2 HP may need revised - somewhere in my garage (which is now quite clean) is a sheet of paper with my notes on the pinch - as soon as I find it - I'll check my memory.

If you click the tab at the bottom - you can see how the results would have come out if we did not use the open and light weight classes but just had one class.

Edited by climber511

from Bob's report, did someone lift the big DB I made for Mathison? Gracie's older brother? lol

WOO HOO! My garage is cleaned and put back together! I started at 7:30 and JUST finished up. That's a relief!

I found a Buck clip knife - a redish toboggan (that's a hat here in Ohio) - and a Harbinger Velcro Black lifting belt. If they belong to you, send me a PM with your address and I'll send them home. Also a few small containers of chalk - I shamelessly stole those and put them into my bucket. If you are missing anything else - I don't have it probably.

Edited by climber511

WOW, Chris had a monster contest! He took first on what was supposed to be his worst event, won his best event decisively, broke a WR, and only finished one item behind Dave and two behind Jedd i the medley :bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow

Looks like Dave had a helluva contest too! I was most surprised with his grippers and 1HDL. I guess Jedd did alright too :tongue Did you lock it out?

Looking forward to talking to Eaton to see what kind of after-contest carnage he peformed.

Congratulations to everyone and some amazing numbers guys I wish I could have been there!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher:mosher

Congratulations to everyone and some amazing numbers guys I wish I could have been there!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher:mosher

I second that. Sounds like everyone had a great time :rock

I'll have to third this. Wish I could've seen the 2HP event. Also, what was the weight of the deadlift in the medley? (I'm assuming it was in there based on dubs pictures)

Edited by JS27

Man, sounds like an awesome comp guys!!!! Hopefully in two years I'll be going to college around that area and I'll be there for sure :D Congrats to all!!! :rock :rock

Man, sounds like an awesome comp guys!!!! Hopefully in two years I'll be going to college around that area and I'll be there for sure :D Congrats to all!!! :rock :rock

You planning on OSU?

from Bob's report, did someone lift the big DB I made for Mathison? Gracie's older brother? lol

It was good meeting you Weldon, hope you feel better. All of the DB's looked great, better than the Inch's that came from the foundry. Jedd and I pulled up the 184#DB. Hope the owner doesn't mind, but we couldn't resist trying it. Definitely the high point of the night for me.

Looks like Dave had a helluva contest too! I was most surprised with his grippers and 1HDL.

Wish you could have been there Josh. I had to pull up the DL left, my right index finger was holding me back.

I saw John Eaton's intensity come out. For the after Contest events, but that's what John enjoys doing. :)

We lifted Scott George's heavy Blob. Stopped at +7 1/2. Jedd got the 7 1/2 and I didn't get it past halfway up.

Got a few good pointers from Bob (Odin) and Jedd. As always, it was a pleasure seeing everyone again.

It was good meeting you Weldon, hope you feel better. All of the DB's looked great, better than the Inch's that came from the foundry. Jedd and I pulled up the 184#DB. Hope the owner doesn't mind, but we couldn't resist trying it. Definitely the high point of the night for me.

Looks like Dave had a helluva contest too! I was most surprised with his grippers and 1HDL.

Wish you could have been there Josh. I had to pull up the DL left, my right index finger was holding me back.

I saw John Eaton's intensity come out. For the after Contest events, but that's what John enjoys doing. :)

We lifted Scott George's heavy Blob. Stopped at +7 1/2. Jedd got the 7 1/2 and I didn't get it past halfway up.

Got a few good pointers from Bob (Odin) and Jedd. As always, it was a pleasure seeing everyone again.

You lifted the superblob with an additional 7.5? :blink:blink

You planning on OSU?

Nah Univ. of Chicago hopefully (want to be an Econ major). A little bit of a drive but a manageable one for sure. I'd also be able to go to all the other midwest comps like your's :D