Matt's Grip Log

Cannon

I did go see my DR after I moved at the end of March, which is where I got this "overuse" injury. I wanted to get it checked closer too, but my doctor just isn't concerned at this point. I tend to trust him because my wife has had disk issues for many years and that finally resulted in her having surgery to remove herniations. We go to the same DR and he was great with her. He definitely orders scans when he feels they are necessary.

I don't have any "electric" type pain or shooting pains. Basically, according to him, all my symptoms can be explained by inflammation. I was also getting better and then just did too much too soon this past weekend. Apparantly when he said rest for 4 weeks, I shouldn't have assumed I was better after 3 weeks :blush

Right now, it feels dramatically better each day with just regular OTC pain relief.

Thanks for the advice, guys! :rock

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cannon

• ewokhugo

• mbcx6pmw

• Teemu I

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope those back issues end quickly, Matt, My back was out for about 10 days, and it sucked especially since I was away some of that time.

Keep up the strong grip work ! .. neilkaz ..

Sometimes it takes a repetition of similar feeling workouts to note any progress and at worse it might seem that you are stuck. Sometimes the progress comes suddenly without changing anything, sometimes you need a small change, sometimes a bigger change, or rest. Also it is easy to get habituated and work only that hard you've already used to, but on the other hand you can't ramp up the intensity all the time. In a sense training is more of an art than science as the progress is a sneaky bastard that comes when it pleases.
well put and VERY true!!

Tried to do a gripper workout, but I just can't exert myself. My back is still very uncomfortable while walking, sitting, etc, almost anything except lying down. I can tell it's getting better, but I really suck at this "give it time" thing. I'm not willing to skip workouts, but I also don't want to prolong healing by doing too much.

1. Grippers
  2. #1 xBunch
  3. #3, a few attempts, felt weak
  4. #3 in a choker at parallel, nada

I really just want to feel normal soon. I'm kind of in the dumps about this.

Patience buddy, patience! You will not lose that much strength during a break.

Edited by Teemu I

Take a break. You need it for your back and it will probably help your hands too.

So, I've found it's kind of comfortable to do some gripper stuff in my car. I can't do anything too intense for fear of crashing, which is also good for my back, but did manage some workouts the last two days.

Tuesday

I did about 45 minutes of TUG work on my commute. All no set. Just tried to keep switching positions, switching hands, and keep working until I got home. Decent workout.

Wednesday

Yesterday I did about 45 minutes of no set work with my #1 and #3. Again, just rep after rep, attempt after attempt. I stopped because I actually got a blister on my middle finger. One thing that was very curious is that my left hand attempts to no set the #3 were better than my right! I think I have better sweep strength on my left because I suck at setting grippers in my left.

I'm going to try and get my rb240n back from my buddy and mix in some work trying to no set that. I think I might be able to at this point. For now, this is good use of my commute and it doesnt' bother my back because it's mostly closes that I'm capable of doing.

Matt,take some break of grippers u will comeback stronger ...

i dont see any advantage to keep training with grippers at this point but i think THUGS can work here .. (specific work not very demanding) .. take a break , rest and pick some THUGS:-)

what are u exactly doing to treat your back?

where's the pain?(bone,muscles, upper,lower back ...)

are u doing ice or aplying cool cream?taking any kind of medicine(ibuprofen?) ...

Thanks for the advice Hugo! I have a really hard time taking a break. I'm trying to stick to the TUGs and some no set work. Just lots of reps and single closes. I did another 45mins in my car on Friday and again yesterday. I took a break over the weekend.

The problem with my back feels muscular. Right now I just take some 800mg Ibuprofen and do light stretching. Heat also feels really good. It's slowly getting better overall. The pain is most in my lower back, like lumbar, and my right hip. No shooting pains or numbness anymore, just when the inflammation was really bad. I think maybe 2-4 more weeks and I'll feel really good. I still don't feel like I could even go to the gym, but hopefully soon!

Got my #3 to parallel with a no set, which is better than I've done in the past. I can see some no set progress happening. I loaned out my RB240n to a buddy, but I'm getting it back to work some no set with that.

Matt:

congrats for the no set with your #3!

I know what u mean .. its VERY difficult to stop when u have a GOAL(MM1) ...

I guess your pain its called "lumbago"(inflamation of the lumbar)and the pain in your hips: Sciatica (nerve root impingement. Impingement pain tends to be sharp, in one spot, and associated with numbness in the area of the leg that the affected nerve supplies).

Acetaminophen (such as Tylenol) has been shown to be as effective as ibuprofen in relieving pain, wich its exactly what u are doing:-)

No specific back exercises were found that improved pain or increased functional ability in people with acute back pain.

Sleeping with a pillow between the knees while lying on one side may increase comfort. Try to lying on your back with a pillow under your knees.

My job its to treat back pain:-)

i Wish i could help u:-)

your friend

Hugo

spinal traction (inversion table really helped my back)

Press-ups

foam roller

Ibuprofen or tylenol

REST

Also I was talking with Brandon and we both concur that a total body strengthening is in order after you are healed. I can point you to some great programs if you are interested Matt. If you dont want to do the entire weightlifting thing then atleast squat! The body is meant to work physically. And before I get off my soap box here is one more reason to get a stronger body Irradiation

Irradiation means tension present in a muscle will "spill over" to nearby muscles. Furthermore, by "bracing" your body you increase force production. When you squeeze a gripper its not just your hand that contracts. Your chest, delts, triceps, biceps, forearms and hands contract. The force irradates from your core. Get your overall strength up and your grippers will go up. Kettlebell exercises might work well for you also.

Dr. Hugo, thank you my friend! It's good information. I feel like yesterday was a turning point. I feel CONSIDERABLY better today. Now I just have to be careful not to repeat what I did 3 weeks ago--which was do too much the second I felt better. I'll probably try and go at least 2 more full weeks of doing nothing too intense to make sure everything is good.

Chris, I will admit that I am lazy about training. I have weights and don't lift them. I have a gym membership and don't go very often. When I make time for a workout, it's a grip workout for sure. One thing I have going for me is that I have a great deal of dissonance about this! I do aspire to improve my physical fitness! The "spill over" makes sense too. And, in the spirit of seizing the moment, let's start talking right now about what I can do when I'm healthy. No reason to put off planning. I'll PM you. The timing is perfect because this back injury has caused something of a "life crisis" for me. Like I caught a glimpse of how it feels to "let yourself go." I'm more motivated than ever, which has been part of the problem with taking it easy.

Ben and Teemu, :rock

Dr.Hugo ...lol :-)

When someone is having some kind of emotional problems , the body become must more prone to injuries ...

the immunity system goes down every time someting bad happend in our life.

In fact u may say "i dont train my back , abs thats why i unjuried myself in this area ..." its not necessary true...

the body speaks one language and if the mind cant solve the problem the body will suffer. Its called "Somatic disease"...

From my own experience with a couple of patients i treat ... pain in the lumbar means something like having some kind of fear (related with material insecurity); in fact u probably doesnt fell u have a good support nearby ...

in fact u need to have more money,a wife,home, family(with kids),good job, a certification(MM1) ... u need to HAVE them to fell the support in your life. but in fact u dont like to talk about it or to believe in these statements ...

because u dont admit it your BACK become with to much stress wich obviously put u in a overloaded state.

Its Absolutly necessary to rest now to solve one big part of "the emotional problem" ( whats is behind the back pain)... free your mind and i am SURE u will ask to try MM1 as soon as u realize u dont need to have more material security to reach it ... u are capable NOW to close it! u were about 1 mm or so to kill your hard #coc( 3.19) ... u have my support! GO for it (after the break):-)

Edited by ewokhugo

From my own experience with a couple of patients i treat ... pain in the lumbar means something like having some kind of fear (related with material insecurity); in fact u probably doesnt fell u have a good support nearby ...

in fact u need to have more money,a wife,home, family(with kids),good job, a certification(MM1) ... u need to HAVE them to fell the support in your life. but in fact u dont like to talk about it or to believe in these statements ...

because u dont admit it your BACK become with to much stress wich obviously put u in a overloaded state.

:) Hugo, it's an interesting theory, but maybe off the mark. I have an amazing wife, a beautiful healthy daughter, another on the way, a great job, and recently moved into my dream home, which was the "event" that hurt my back. I didn't have a ton of help and ended up doing too much alone (carrying couches by myself, etc) and immediately felt the effects but continued to work because we had to get it done.

I don't have the MM1 cert (yet!) but I did just set a huge gripper PR a few weeks ago by closing my #3. Just as rewarding as the MM1, just no title to go with :)

One thing I really want is a Gripinator, though. If someone gave me one, I'm sure my back would feel great ;)

Matt: this "theory" may sound stupid but for me make lost of sense.

the obvious: u work a lot in your new home thats why u hurted your back... looks very simple and easy to understand.

I dont want to hurt your felling saying u want more money bla bla ... i gave exmples : money,wife i didnt mean to say

u dont have them all... (the examples)

imagine if u are studying to one exam ... u wil put a lot of stress in your back without lifting any object ...

u are one of the coolest guys here , MAtt go for the gripinator!:--)

"imagine if u are studying to one exam ... u wil put a lot of stress in your back without lifting any object ..."

the pain happend not because u use your back to study but because u are getting very nervous with the exam.

I hear ya, Hugo. I'm just trying to drive home that it's a physical injury. I think Chris hit the nail on the head--I have been a little too neglegent in my physical fitness--even if he didn't say it exactly like that.

So, I think some of the "busy work" I've been doing in my car has REALLY paid off! Great workout last night, despite still working out in the car.

1. Grippers
  2. RB240n, some singles and the coin challenge earlier in the day (this was demanding!)
  3. #1 x5, no set
  4. RB240n, some no set attempts, only about 1/8 off. I think I could get it fresh.
  5. #3, choked at parallel, about 8-10 singles, felt strong and quick, also got a DOUBLE and almost a triple opening to parallel!

Overall, I'm really happy with this. I was just killing my #3 in that choker. I went back to using a huge washer over the spring. Works much better. So, despite thinking I gain nothing in a choker, maybe I do :D

Also, for the first time in about 6 weeks, basically no back pain today even though I was very active yesterday. Took a 2.5 mile walk at lunch, then went to the playground with my 2-yr-old and chased her all over the place, climbing, sliding, swinging, etc.

I really feel good today. Couple more weeks of feeling like this and then I will ease into a great program I have been discussing with Chris. Thanks again Chris! He has been really generous with his time and advice.

first double with the #3? Don't mention the advice. Its just a discussion. I could talk training all day. Its a treat when someone will listen :online

Yeah, first double even though it was in the choker. The miss on the triple was so small I should try it again fresh. It was a paper-thin miss. I let it hit the choker each time, so maybe that makes it easier? No rest or resetting in between, just letting it open all the way. I was just happy to be working with my #3 like that!

Edited by Cannon

So, I feel like I'm ALMOST ready to get back to normal grip workouts. And, in another week or so, I'll ease into some full body workouts as well. I have been pain free for about a week. Some lingering "twinges" now and again, but for the most part I don't think about my back.

I have still been doing grip workouts in my car. Mostly no set stuff and then working on getting more consistent with my 149# 3 in a choker.

At this point, I'm consistent with a close at parallel, which feels good. That's with a choker on the handles. I've started opening it up and working it wider and wider.

Overall, things seem to be heading in the right direction. Power at the close is up for sure, no set strength is up for sure, have not tested MMS strength in a while. I'm working out with lukeamdman this weekend and maybe I'll take a shot at the MM1 as a test.

Overall, things seem rockin! :D