Matt's Grip Log

Cannon

I have to say energy is still down overall from being sick. Spirits are up, though, and I really just wanted to work hard:

1. Grip Workout
  2. #1 x 10
  3. Filed #2 x10
  4. RB240n x4, 1 miss, 3 closes
  5. Secret Weapon Negs x6, 80lbs, did a 7th rep but it sucked
  6. Rolling Thunder 80lbs x10, 3 sets

Look's like pretty good work for illen Matt !

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cannon

• ewokhugo

• mbcx6pmw

• Teemu I

Top Posters In This Topic

your inner power its UP , u will get 100% asap!

what kind of reps u did with your filed#2?

my #2 its filed in both sides(4mm and 2mm) and about yours?

Okay, I'm feeling pretty good now. FINALLY got back into the gym for a regular upper body workout and that felt GREAT.

Hugo, I typically don't do more than about 8-10 reps at once. I've filed away a bit of one handle, basically just short of the middle.

Had a mini-Griptogether with my buddy Joel yesterday. Lots of attempts at a few grippers. My strength felt WAY up and I set a few PRs, but for whatever reason was a bit off from the 3.09 #3.

1. Grippers
  2. Warm up
  3. Joel's hard #2, few reps, couple of TNS closes.
  4. RB240n, 2.8 calibrated, few closes RH, closed LH first time ever, 3 || reps with RH first time repping this gripper
  5. BBSM, 2.8 rated but harder than the RB240n because of the spread, couple RH closes, LH close for the first time
  6. 2006 #3, 3.09, couple of attempts, misses.
  7. Plus more general messing around with grippers.

Big ole set of negatives is up for Tuesday.

Edited by Cannon

Go left! tough RB240N you've got there.

I've often wondered if it's actually an RB260n... I got it from tmmicklabs here on the board. It is all black and unmarked. He says he ordered an RB240n and this came to him that way, no markings.

I would like to take some calipers to the spring sometime as that would probably confirm which one it is :D

egg, that's good to know!

Workout last night was nothing special, but I'm hoping now if I rest until Saturday, I can get a good attempt.

1. Grippers
  2. #1 x10
  3. Filed #2 x8, singles
  4. 2006 #3, 3 attempts, closest was maybe a good 1/8" off. Dang! Just not feeling the max crush.
  5. BBE negs x10
  6. Messed around with TUGS
  7. Filed #2 holds x3, held shut as long as possible.

:)

your #3 shoud be the same as mm1 , its time to set in your mind the BIG DAY to try the cert:-)

your #3 shoud be the same as mm1 , its time to set in your mind the BIG DAY to try the cert:-)

HUGO! :rock You're a good source of motivation.

It might be close, but I'd like to have a little extra in the tank. I promise I'll sign up the second I'm confident! :D

Took a little extra recovery time and did a workout last night. I'm also trying to alter my schedule a bit because we're moving this weekend and I'm not going to be able to work out. This workout started really slow, which was surprising after the extra rest. By the end of the workout, I was fiercely trying to "create" intensity and it turned out to be a decent workout.

1. Grippers
  2. #1 x10
  3. Filed #2 x5, singles
  4. #3 attempts, misses, really didn't feel strong
  5. BBE severe negs x10+, lost count of the reps and quit when my palm was a bit numb, held longer than usual.

Had to stop there because the my sweet little girl woke up yelling "Daddy!" I think she's uncomfortable because her whole room is packed and it even echos to be in there. Big move this weekend to the new house, then another workout probably next Monday.

Any suggestions for a killer workout to do on Monday? It would be nice to stir things up a bit. After that I will probably rest until Saturday for the get together.

Nice log! Have you closed the #3 yet? You seemed really close on a video I saw. Good work! :)

I have closed a couple #3s, but not MY #3. I have been chasing this sucker for a while. The video is the closest I've come and I think the stars just aligned that day because I have not been as close since.

At least I know I have the strength, and I just need to get more consistent.

It will come together soon, I believe!

my 2 cent ...

try my workout:

warm up(doesnt matter which gripper u use)

filed #2 - 3 sets of overcrush with small coin in the middle

rb 240 /or other bb closer to #3 but easier - 3 sets of doubles

negatives (gripper around #3.5) 3 sets - try at least 3 rep each set and hold the negative at least 5-7 seg

imthug #5 3 sets 10 rep (no-set)

r.t - pinch style 1 set -12 reps use the weight u fell confortable

best of luck

Thanks for the advice, Hugo!

The move really took a toll on me. Pretty well ruined my back again. Went to the doc yesterday and, thankfully, it appears to be only an overuse injury. Time will tell.

Monday workout never did happen :angry: But, I may bang out some reps tonight. The plan right now is to have a great time on Sat with the Grip-Together, then be back to regular workouts for Tuesday. :rock

Sometimes it takes a repetition of similar feeling workouts to note any progress and at worse it might seem that you are stuck. Sometimes the progress comes suddenly without changing anything, sometimes you need a small change, sometimes a bigger change, or rest. Also it is easy to get habituated and work only that hard you've already used to, but on the other hand you can't ramp up the intensity all the time. In a sense training is more of an art than science as the progress is a sneaky bastard that comes when it pleases.

Edited by Teemu I

Read about you getting your #3 (Mathison mentioned it in his log), great job! That's one, good step forward.

I bet it felt great to finally close that #3 :rock

I haven't been able to get online since Sat. Yeah, we're having vid problems, but seems like it was closed! I think it was the rush of having someone else there. I just needed a little push :rock It felt EXTREMELY GOOD to get this gripper shut.

The exciting thing for me is that my MM1 replica is now officially my goal gripper :devil

I'll post more about the gathering once I see what else is up already :)

Edited by Cannon

I haven't been able to get online since Sat. Yeah, we're having vid problems, but seems like it was closed! I think it was the rush of having someone else there. I just needed a little push :rock It felt EXTREMELY GOOD to get this gripper shut.

The exciting thing for me is that my MM1 replica is now officially my goal gripper :devil

I'll post more about the gathering once I see what else is up already :)

Did you have Chris try your MM1 DUD to see how close it felt to the real MMG1 gripper?

John, yeah, he killed it and thought it was similiar. My adjustable BBE and BBSE where made by Acorn and I think he thought they were similar as well. I remember he was jealous about how they turned out for some reason. :happy Maybe the spread?

John, yeah, he killed it and thought it was similiar. My adjustable BBE and BBSE where made by Acorn and I think he thought they were similar as well. I remember he was jealous about how they turned out for some reason. :happy Maybe the spread?

That's great that they came out close like that. Jedd's MMG1 DUD calibrated over 170 :blink

They are pretty slick, John. I like the adjustability too because if I want to hit a certain poundage, I can adjust for that :)

Back in business tonight. Really a good workout:

1. Grip and Pinch
  2. #1 x10
  3. #2 x3, singles.
  4. MM1 replica x2, just to gauge where I'm at. I took videos and they look to be about 1/4". Felt strong, though.
  5. BBE severe negatives x8, :whacked
  6. IM HUB singles with a hold at the top, 35, 35, 35, 37.5, 37.5, 40, 45, 45. I felt invincible on this. Everything over 35lbs was a PR. I didn't count the weight of the pin and HUB.

Well, hooray. I'll do Secret Weapon and more pinch on Saturday. Maybe TUGs too. I really want to get my pinch up because I think it will really help my open hand grip strength, which is lacking right now. :)

I'm not worried about the 1/4" because my calibration of the gripper shows that it's a bit heavier than the real one. Once I close the replica, I know I'll have gas in the tank for the real gripper.