Matt's Grip Log

Cannon

Hey,

When the most recent round of Mash Monster certs opened and I wasn't ready for the MM1, I got really angry with myself so I'm doing something about it. I am going to start logging my workouts mostly to make sure I do them.

I was within 1/8" of my MM1 replica and improving before the holidays and allowed my training to be totally derailed. Last time I attempted I was a good 1/4" off. Right now I'm not closing my average-ish #3 either.

My goal is MM1 certification. :rock

Overall, my thumb strength really stinks, my left-hand strength really stinks, and I need to do BTR work because I would like more authority at the close in general--i.e. I don't feel like I'm crushing the handles together even on grippers I can close.

I am really enjoying my IMTUGs so I'll be using those, and I have responded well to negatives and holds, both with grippers and my sercret weapon so I'll be using those. Thumb work I hope to use my 30lb Legacy Blob and I rigged that up so I can load extra weight, also pony clamps and the TUGs again.

Previously, I had been doing KTA style stuff 5 days a week for quite a while--since then workouts have been happening 1-2 times per week, so I'm not totally out of it, and my hands actually feel really good lately. I did a couple workouts recently to gear up for this big push, so here we go! Grippers tonight.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cannon

• ewokhugo

• mbcx6pmw

• Teemu I

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see you starting another log Matt! Best of strength man. You'll kill it with us keeping you "honest," lol.

Thanks for the motivation, guys. :rock

1. Grip Workout
  2. #1 x 10
  3. BBE Negatives x 5, held at 1/4"
  4. Secret Weapon, BTR holds x 5, 70lbs
  5. Filed #2, couple of easy closes

I really like the BTR holds on the SW because it's about the only way I get the feeling of BTR and even the filed #2 feels like I'm stopping short. 70lbs is right on the limit of what I can hold shut for 5-10 seconds. We'll go again Saturday and start with thumb work.

What a week. I'm exhausted tonight, but did the workout.

1. Thumbs and Grippers
  2. #1 x 10
  3. 30lb Legacy Blob, holds x 5, 5-10secs
  4. Blob holds above alternated with #3 attempts, x5, forced in and let out slowly
  5. 2" Pony thumb holds, x5

:mellow Off to bed. Rest until Tuesday.

GREAT workout. Typing sucks right now :yikes Makes up for the blah workout last week.

1. Grip Workout
  2. #1 x12
  3. #2 x1
  4. Secret Weapon, Negatives x7, 80lbs (1st rep was 75lbs)
  5. #3 holds, x5, forced in, opened about 1/8"
  6. Wrist curls, 3 set of 10, 45lbs, 55lbs, 65lbs
  7. #1 x5

Did a little extra warm up because I was working outside for a long while and my hands were really cold. I never do wrist curls, but I liked them tonight. My forearms felt like they would explode. Not even sure I did them right. I let the bar drop as low on my fingertips as possible and then curl it up as high as possible. It was only moderately difficult, but gave a good pump. Next workout Saturday!

I'm enjoying a quasi-PR right now. I've been working on the Minneapolis K-Z white/yellow pages for about a week. I've had it under my desk and I pick it up and try to tear it every so often. Progress was slow, but today I finished it. It's 2-3/16" thick at the binding. Maybe some day I can do it all at once.

Nice Tear and nice log!

Thanks, Joe and Joel! I'll start another phone book here soon and see if it goes quicker. My whole problem is getting it started.

1. Grip Workout
  2. #1 x10
  3. #2 x2 singles
  4. MM1 attempts, x2, seemed to be a good 1/4" off. Felt good, though.
  5. #3 attempt, missed
  6. Secret Weapon x10, 80lbs, ouch
  7. BBE negs x2
  8. Wrist curls, 10 x55lbs, 10 x65lbs, 8 x85lbs

Good workout. I'm going to do thumbs and IMTUG stuff on Tuesday!

Didn't have a chance to log this last night. :)

1. Grip and Thumbs
  2. #1 x10
  3. Tug5 x10, Index/Middle, Middle/Ring
  4. Tug5 x5, Ring/Pinkie, It's nice to rep this now because I couldn't close it R/P when I got it.
  5. #3 attempts x2, both misses
  6. Tug6 x5, Index/Middle, Middle/Ring
  7. Tug6 attempts x2, Ring/Pinkie, forced in
  8. #3 negs x7, forced in a few times during each neg
  9. Pony thumbs x6, with some intensity, felt good

Secret Weapon negs again on Saturday! :rock

Nice workout, Matt and wishing you the best and I'll be following this log and your progress ! .. neilkaz ..

Cannon:your training its very interesting!

u really like the Tugs!

wish i could have n5 or 6, the one i have its n4 , very easy to close with ring+pinky!

i reccomend u to pick an heavier gripper(something like #3.5) and do negatives with it or try to close it from a small distance!

your goal its high and u must start to look at him very close:-) training to close a smaller gripper than mm1 dont seems to do much to improve your mental power!

just my oppinion.

not sure about BBE strenght tought

maybe its like #3.5:-)

best of luck man!

Thanks guys! Plugging along :)

Hugo, it's definitely good advice to go with negatives heavier than my goal of the MM1. I do most of my heavy negatives on my Secret Weapon. My BBE is much harder than my MM1 replica. It's flush mounted and rather nasty. I do negs with that too here and there.

I also like to do holds and my 2006 #3 works out well for that even though it's just below the MM1 in strength. Even at the end of a workout, I can pretty much hold it shut, and I push it in a few times. It's a bit different from a negative, more similar to an overcrush in a way. I should really call them holds from now on becuase unlike a negative, the gripper would never pull my hand open. The Secret Weapon will slowly drag my hand open no matter how hard I fight. That's the kind of negative I like. :D

I also need to regain a little more strength than I thought. I thought the #3 would come back really quickly, but not yet. I'm still missing it every time, but not by much.

hi Matt!

i know u are training hard now! i dont have my mental power as high as i wich but i believe its good to "be deceptive" your own brain ...

Train like your goal its to get the MM2 cert not MM1 ... this will do the trick:-)

Thanks, Hugo. It really is good advice! :rock

Yesterday (Saturday) was my 6-year wedding anniversary, so I postponed until today.

1. Grip Workout
  2. #1 x10
  3. Filed #2 singles, x2
  4. 2006 #3 attempts, x2, first was a very near miss so progress is happening
  5. Secret Weapon negs, 80lbs x10
  6. Wrist curls, 2 x10, 55lbs, 65lbs

The best thing about this workout was the #3 attempt. That gripper is in the 3.05-3.1 range. I should really get my RGC cookin and just nail down these numbers. I had Climber build me one and I've never really had any good calibrations because I'm too lazy (maybe busy) to go buy an adequate strap. You'd think I would have got to it by now... :blush

Tuesday will be a huge set of BBE negatives dedicated to Hugo! :D

Nice workout, Matt and happy anniversery !

Soon you'll be OCing that #3 and further along the road to MM1.

I could use a gripper calibrator here, myself as I have too many grippers (well one can't have too many... can he ?)

Thanks, Neil! No such thing as too many grippers!

Since my Saturday workout landed on Sunday, I'm not feeling ready to go again today. I think if I go tomorrow, I'll be okay again for Saturday and then I'll be back on track.

Anyone have a recommendation for a Rolling Thunder workout that will murder my thumb? I have an RT and have basically never used it. I don't think I can pull 100lbs :blush I'd like to use it for thumb work.

Like I said before, high reps are killer on the RT, but they will take a couple of days to recover from, particularly if you haven't used it much.

Like I said before, high reps are killer on the RT, but they will take a couple of days to recover from, particularly if you haven't used it much.

I think you have told me that :D Like, sets of 10? or 20?

Anything from 8-20, 1 or 2 work sets. I've been doing 2x10 lately which worked for a while altho gains seem to have slowed a bit now :unsure

Anything from 8-20, 1 or 2 work sets. I've been doing 2x10 lately which worked for a while altho gains seem to have slowed a bit now :unsure

Good advice, and may I ask a couple questions about your RT work.

1) How often and do you do any other thickbar-type work ?

2) In doing these reps, do you let the weights hit or touch the ground or do you lower to just above the ground during reps ?

I normally just do heavy singles or heavy holds 'til failure with weight that I can, at best hold 10 seconds. I think I need to mix it up.

I also, every couple of weeks, do 2 or 3 sets of 1H, bent over DB rows with a 3" DB and these really blast the grip.

.. neilkaz ..hoping we all can up our RT poundages