British Hand Strength Championships 2008

mobsterone

Unit 1, 5a Hopewell Street, Gloucester GL1 4HQ. My house is opposite at No 14 (GL1 4HG). The commute to work is a bitch he he

PS: the same place you sent your fees to if memory serves me (unless you paypaled it ahem...).

Edited by mobsterone

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• David Horne

• The Mac

Can't wait!! 4 days to go, did my last session yesterday and i'm itching to crush a gripper already! :)

It is with a heavy heart I've got to withdraw from this comp. I've thought long and hard about it, but there really was only ever going to be one decision. I'm being prescribed a drug for alcoholism that brings on such a severe reaction to alcohol I have to be under supervision for 3 days before I take the first dose, so that they can be sure my blood alcohol level is zero. Usually in the Manchester Health Authority there's a 9 month waiting list for rehab units, I got (un)lucky, there was a cancellation right before I was booked in, and I've been given a place this weekend.

I really want to meet you guys, and I want to see what I can do in a comp when I'm not trying to organise and judge at the same time, but I have to get off the booze. I've been lucky so far and I haven't caused any permanent damage, but who knows how long my luck will last? If I come to the comp it's likely to be 9 more months of heavy drinking before I get a chance to take the drug again, by which time I could have seriously damaged my liver.

Steve, sorry for the upset at last minute, but heck, ya ain't gonna miss me, I'd just be getting under peoples feet and taking up (a lot of) room ;)

Good luck, do your best, and PR's all round. I look forwards to seeing the write up when I get back on Sunday.

Oh, and Fred? You'd better place high, or I won't let you come play when you go back to Uni! :laugh

Twig your health comes first and it's just bad luck the timings off. You'll be missed.

Sorry to hear Twig. Was looking forward to meeting you mate.

your health is the most important thing, get yourself fighting fit and become stronger for the comp next year. its not going to be easy for you, but you sound like you have already done a lot of hard work getting to this point, so i have confidence in you that you will recover from your ailment.

Sorry to hear of your problems, but it's good news you have got the treatment coming soon.

All the best mate,

David

Hello All,

Good luck for the Contest on Saturday, I'm not going to be able to make it down to watch but I will be thinking of you all. Give your best efforts on the day and you will all come away from the Contest winners - it takes a lot of courage to stand on the platform, whether you are a first timer or a seasoned competitor, and I have great respect for you all and the efforts that you will be making.

I wish you all the best and hope that no one gets injured - unfortunately there is a great risk for injury when you are getting to the unexplored levels of your strength that competition can make you produce.

Twig - best of luck to you in your particular fight, I hope that things work out well for you - if you can dedicate yourself to beating your addiction in the same way that you dedicate yourself to your training you will win your battle. Embrace change.

Best wishes,

Laine

Good luck to all at the contest. I can't wait to read about it.

Today: remarked the weights which I calibrated last year (to +/- 10g). The fridge Mike brought down is now on and I'll get some ice and some cold drinks to put in it tomorrow or Friday. Friday we will tidy up at the end of the session ready for Saturday.

I'm waiting on a confirmation email from the video man.

Also waiting on a pallet of goodies from LKB (one item alone is £120). Nothing seen so far from FBBC (John resent a package). Ordered some medals for 2nd and 3rd yesterday.

Always. They have their own brand of grippers coming and we have some of them on the pallet.

nice, im looking forward to seeing some pictures of them, i know in the last newsletter they sent they would be getting some custom barabans soon, are these as well as those, if you know?

Today: remarked the weights which I calibrated last year (to +/- 10g). The fridge Mike brought down is now on and I'll get some ice and some cold drinks to put in it tomorrow or Friday. Friday we will tidy up at the end of the session ready for Saturday.

I'm waiting on a confirmation email from the video man.

Also waiting on a pallet of goodies from LKB (one item alone is £120). Nothing seen so far from FBBC (John resent a package). Ordered some medals for 2nd and 3rd yesterday.

Steve,

I have 300 kilos of calibrated Ivanko chrome plates if you need them - I could bring them over on Friday if you want to use them, also have the stainless steel Ivanko bar if needed.

Let me know,

Laine

Cheers Laine but no need. Because we used the high quality calibrated plates of yours to check our scales and then weighed all our metal plates at that time we don't need to do it again.

Plus I don't wanna be unloading a half ton the night before ha ha. :D

But if you still have those 100-kilo plates lying around the boys have said they'd be well used. :rock

Hello All,

Good luck for the Contest on Saturday, I'm not going to be able to make it down to watch but I will be thinking of you all. Give your best efforts on the day and you will all come away from the Contest winners - it takes a lot of courage to stand on the platform, whether you are a first timer or a seasoned competitor, and I have great respect for you all and the efforts that you will be making.

I wish you all the best and hope that no one gets injured - unfortunately there is a great risk for injury when you are getting to the unexplored levels of your strength that competition can make you produce.

Twig - best of luck to you in your particular fight, I hope that things work out well for you - if you can dedicate yourself to beating your addiction in the same way that you dedicate yourself to your training you will win your battle. Embrace change.

Best wishes,

Laine

I can't improve on those words. Best to all!

Mike

P.S. Sam, will your mother be coming to slap you around again? :D

P.S.S. Nick did a fantastic writeup last year and put it on his website hours after the event last year, as good as it gets. There are hundreds of gripsters who will be anxiously waiting to hear what went down.

I'm hoping to be on my back with several nubile young ladies pouring bubbly down my neck in celebration... but failing that after a couple of pints of stout I'll see what I can do ha ha

Update - both the FBBC box of goodies and the small pallett (yes pallet) of items from London Kettlebells arrived today as did a 2nd place and 3rd place medal. I've ordered my shopping and it includes some drinks (can someone bring me some plastic cups??), ice etc (it was supposed to be a hot day but looks like rain now!). They arrive tomorrow.

great to hear that the prizes arrived in time for the competition, hope everyone has a great day and some PRs are hit :rock

Nice words Laine.

Well I will get a nice early night, and eat plenty of food tomoorow.

See you saturday!