British Hand Strength Championships 2008

mobsterone

Edgy... as in I've just been to the gym (I need my kettle which was there) and carrying back a few bits and bobs I had to hold them in sich a way that my hands wouldn't cramp up. :blink

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• David Horne

• The Mac

(just like I used to be).

and still are.

thanks TAT.

You might be right ha ha

Well done on your victory Steve!

Cheers guys.

thick bar daddy RT think this was the one that was ~ 100kg. Steve can clarify.

mobster's one hand lift LH think this was the 260kg one that's the only vids we managed to get.

Sweet. The RT looks like I did it with both hands (as I am chalk up again) so I'd say 80 or 90-kilos. The left handed 1HL looked easy at 260 but I think that was it.

Great win Steve. Glad I was there to see it. I was itching to get into it. Next year i hope. The 4 will be done this year, I'm sure of it! :rock

Well done Steve.

Nick

Ta.

Kiddy in a sweet shop (just like I used to be).

Suprised u can remember that far back Steve :D

Today so am I :D

Congrats thick bar daddy, long time coming but so much can be said about the journey! Respects to the other competitors :rock

The 4 will be done this year, I'm sure of it!

by 2 british gripsters ;)

Had a thoroughly sweet day and was inspired by some chalky thighs and heavy lifts as well as some monster closes.

I learnt a ton of stuff about equipment, how fast a set needs to be, that smelling salts and bellowing seem to help you win, and that my overall strength is ok but needs ALOT of work.

I now plan to beast myself for 3 months or so just to see what proper hard work does to one's progress.

Though I did ok, it would have been impossible for a newbie like me (having never used half of the kit) to even compete without help, advice, tips and encouragement from everyone there, especially the judges who quietly did a sterling job all day.

There are a few younguns who are way ahead of me at the moment but that gives me something to gun for and also the ultimate level of steve and david is a disant dream currently but has shown me how far a simple pair of hands can be pushed.

Thanks to all, had a sweet time. Good prizes too.

Fred

Those are really impressive lifts Steve, well done with the win.

Great win Steve. Glad I was there to see it. I was itching to get into it. Next year i hope. The 4 will be done this year, I'm sure of it! :rock
Had a thoroughly sweet day and was inspired by some chalky thighs and heavy lifts as well as some monster closes.

I learnt a ton of stuff about equipment, how fast a set needs to be, that smelling salts and bellowing seem to help you win, and that my overall strength is ok but needs ALOT of work.

I now plan to beast myself for 3 months or so just to see what proper hard work does to one's progress.

Though I did ok, it would have been impossible for a newbie like me (having never used half of the kit) to even compete without help, advice, tips and encouragement from everyone there, especially the judges who quietly did a sterling job all day.

There are a few younguns who are way ahead of me at the moment but that gives me something to gun for and also the ultimate level of steve and david is a disant dream currently but has shown me how far a simple pair of hands can be pushed.

Fred

Fred you can, as the saying goes, be happy cos 'the kid done good'. I'm awaiting the scores and some more photos etc and will be sure to thank all that helped as well as the very kind sponsors who all came through.

Fred

You did very well Fred, some focused training and you will improve massively.

Thanks for teaching me a new meaning of the word "Moist", I shall endeavour to work it into many a conversation from now on. :D

Results from the day

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/2008contests.html

Oh and a big well done/thanks to the Referee Jim Wylie and the scorekeeper Andrew Christie who did top quality jobs.

Also a big thanks to the loaders Mike Betty, Harry and Loz.

And finally to the promotor, because without promotors there are no comps - so please support contests.

Oh and I don't know a full list of the sponsors, but I'm sure Steve will thank these on here. But I thank London Kettlebells and FBBC for the prizes I got - Many thanks!

Edited by davidhorne

Great lifts overall, congrats to all!

Too bad Sam missed the 2HP, but congrats for the gripper LH record!

I had a great day and learned a lot which was really my aim for this comp,I had a dire pinch lift after selecting the wrong width but had pb's on the weaver stick, I was left needing 260kg on my last lift of the one hand lift for 3rd place which was pretty close ( I made the height but moved my feet ).

As previously mentioned, Steve & David are light years ahead of the rest of us and I really hope that some of us can close the gap a little to give them a bit more competition next year.

Thanks to Steve for putting on the comp, the Whey lads for loading the bars all day,The score keepers/referee's, The rest of the guys who took part for showing up and making it a great comp and the sponsors (London Kettlebells, Fat Bastard Barbell Company, World of Grip etc) for putting up some great prizes.

Big congratulations to Steve on winning.

Edited by Stew

Congratulations to everyone for good performances!

A comment on the overall quality of the competitors for the general reader of this thread...The LAST PLACE finisher of the One Hand Lift, with one hand, picked up 444 POUNDS! And that at the end of a competition. Very good for everyone!

Sam, you won the OHL! Nice! Congratulations on breaking up the Horne-Gardener Monopoly.

The Weaver Stick lifts looked especially good for all as well.

Steve, congratulations on Numero Uno, excellent effort. And the Oddsmakers on the Gripboard showed you a 2-1 Underdog. Shows what they know...

David, your Two Hand Pinch consistency is something that can be taken to the Bank. My birthday is tomorrow, and my family is notoriously famous for last minute or late gifts. I think I am going to ask for them to buy one of the Two Hand Pinch Devices from you for my birthday. And a Big Thanks for posting the complete results for all of us to look at.

Looked like a great competition, and the merger of the Open and Novice Classes worked out just fine.

Results from the day

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/2008contests.html

Oh and a big well done/thanks to the Referee Jim Wylie and the scorekeeper Andrew Christie who did top quality jobs.

Also a big thanks to the loaders Mike Betty, Harry and Loz.

And finally to the promotor, because without promotors there are no comps - so please support contests.

Oh and I don't know a full list of the sponsors, but I'm sure Steve will thank these on here. But I thank London Kettlebells and FBBC for the prizes I got - Many thanks!

I will be and they form part of my half finished write-up. Thanks for sorting out the results. I think my 3.29 and 3.65 is also a new British record total.

Congrats Steve!

Cheers Martin. I was seeing how close I got to your (parallel set mind) Euro record. Close. ;)

Congratulations to everyone for good performances!

A comment on the overall quality of the competitors for the general reader of this thread...The LAST PLACE finisher of the One Hand Lift, with one hand, picked up 444 POUNDS! And that at the end of a competition. Very good for everyone!

Sam, you won the OHL! Nice! Congratulations on breaking up the Horne-Gardener Monopoly.

The Weaver Stick lifts looked especially good for all as well.

Steve, congratulations on Numero Uno, excellent effort. And the Oddsmakers on the Gripboard showed you a 2-1 Underdog. Shows what they know...

David, your Two Hand Pinch consistency is something that can be taken to the Bank. My birthday is tomorrow, and my family is notoriously famous for last minute or late gifts. I think I am going to ask for them to buy one of the Two Hand Pinch Devices from you for my birthday. And a Big Thanks for posting the complete results for all of us to look at.

Looked like a great competition, and the merger of the Open and Novice Classes worked out just fine.

2-1? I should have had a few quid on it ha ha :D