British Hand Strength Championships 2008

mobsterone

Not to grip but showing background to a sporting event (training and of a competitive nature). If we are able to do something with it, in whatever form it ends up, I hope we make a good show of it and that you enjoy it.

Ah, makes more sense then.

Hey you guys! Whatever comes of it, make sure you record it for those of us accross the pond who don't get UK channels :)

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• David Horne

• The Mac

Not to grip but showing background to a sporting event (training and of a competitive nature). If we are able to do something with it, in whatever form it ends up, I hope we make a good show of it and that you enjoy it.

I hope somehow we in the states can see it - sounds like a great opportunity for the sport! Good Luck Steve!

Where there's a will there's a way (I think a hard disc driver TV recorder would do the trick) ;)

awesome steve! seal the f'n deal - im in

Steve, anything i can do to help this go ahead - let me know! Best of luck mate.

Edited by CoC#3

Steve Gardener (Mobster)

Sam Solimi (CoC#3)

Neil Belcher (Twig)

Al Christie (Big Al)

Frederick Hope Coombs (coombsfh)

Paul Wood

Stewart Killick

David Horne

Richard Scott

Paul Savage

With just hours to go we add another face to our motley crew. :rock

If everyone comes in fit and healthy this is going to be a very tough comp and the top four looks like it will be very close.

Is anyone brave enough to make any predictions?

Edited by Stew

Alright: top 4: Steve, David Savage, and then any of Fred, Al and Sam. Don't know Richard or Stewart. But I do know Paul will beat me into second-to-last place! :D

EDIT: Fred's been quiet for a while, he will probably do better than I expect.

I hope somehow we in the states can see it - sounds like a great opportunity for the sport! Good Luck Steve!

Indeed! I hope this side of the ocean can see whatever is made! Best success with this happening!

Yep. I'm off to the gym in a few minutes to work on a 9-kilo weaver, some kick ass gripper work and a contest winning Rolling Thunder ;)

But I do know Paul will beat me into second-to-last place! :D

Dunno about that, you've got me licked on grippers for a start. I think the wooden spoon race could be the one to watch :mosher

Hard to pick a winner, Steve has trained hard all year and the events seem to suit him, but David has a habit of pulling things out of the bag :D

I'd go with Savage 3rd and Sam 4th though.

Who knows. I actually felt ill enough today to stop 2/3'rds of the way through. I did what I set out to do on the Vulcan gripper and on the weaver and then popped over to my house. My back started to spasm then but eased off. I went back feeling 'iffy' and was able to warm up on the Thumbless RT before running out of puff. I had also had an upset stomach yesterday so will see what I feel like in 24 hours before going back at it.

As they say anything can happen.

It could easily be our own little grip version of Pumping Iron.

Interesting eh... ;)

Well done Steve! :rock :rock :rock

Looks to be a great lineup for the competition.

But I do know Paul will beat me into second-to-last place! :D

Dunno about that, you've got me licked on grippers for a start. I think the wooden spoon race could be the one to watch :mosher

Hard to pick a winner, Steve has trained hard all year and the events seem to suit him, but David has a habit of pulling things out of the bag :D

I'd go with Savage 3rd and Sam 4th though.

David Horne has done a form guide of sorts in the past. Here's a small version:

Grippers

On paper Sam and Paul have, out of competition, closed some very hard grippers but both Steve and David (usually 1st and 2nd on grippers) always do well when it matters - in competition. Steve has been doing very well recently and is usually able to put it together when it matters. It should be close. One particular way Sam and Paul could lose out is their ability to 'present'... in other words do what needs to be done under contest conditions.

Contest records and form says Steve should win.

2HP

Even on his worse day David should win this. Proof, if it be needed, was barely any training recently (so a well deserved rest) and ongoing IBS yet he was able to break the world record. Steve can have off days, as per his most recent Peter Horne lift attempts (a little under 100 on the day) but has seen a slow and steady improvement. If he can pull it together he should have a solid 2nd place spot with an anticipated 105-kilos. Sam has spoken of wanting 100 or more and Paul is more or less an unknown here.

An easy win for David

Rolling Thunder thumbless

Could be more of a 2 horse race than some suspect. Back when it last contested, under slightly different conditions, David Horne beat both Steve G and Jim W by a solid 2.5-kilos or so. Steve has the best chance to win this but do not write David out of being in contention. As with any 5 lift event those lifts preceding it can take the edge off.

Should be Steve but could be close. I'll say Steve for now.

Weaver Stick to the rear.

Although not contested for many years back when it was last done Steve and David were, using their right hands, a mere 0.05-kilos apart (50g) with Steve making 8.10 to David's 8.05. Even though Steve still holds the record (WR??) 50g is a small enough margin to make it interesting. Others are unknowns but Paul's ongoing wrist injury must seem to put him out of contention here. If he can be persuaded to rest it more who knows.

On paper Steve but very close - 50-50 between Steve and David.

One hand lift

On paper again Steve should have this (330R and 300L) but Horne has pulled similar numbers under different rules and close to these using rules more comparable to those we currently use. Sam, with little knowledge of the form, finally made 300-kilos and said after that he'd have liked more attempts. That said Steve also said after that, allowing for the many ups and downs he'd had with form and weights pre-event on the day he felt good for another 10 ore even 20-kilos right handed.

Hard to say but a record holder ought to have an edge. Steve again??

One of the key points in both David and Steve's favor is their contest experience. We've seen Steve edge closer and closer to David in scoring and they are usually a fair margin ahead of others up against them. David's one disadvantage, if it is one, is his only allowing 6 weeks to bring the numbers back up to their limit. Steve on the other hand may have been going at it too long having been training very hard since Xmas (20+ weeks). Even so they are bot capable of putting together good solid performances on the day. While events, form and records seem on this occasion to suit Steve others are unknown quantities who might surprise everyone. Steve's loss by a small margin to a very late entering David Horne shows that with minimal training David can still kick ass.

It could be a good one to watch.

my predictions for first place in each event,

grippers - i think it's between Sam, Steve and Paul.

pinch - David.

RT - Steve.

Weaver stick - Steve.

One hand lift - no idea how it is going to go on the day.

I've just had a $100.00 donation towards the event. I also, before training, brought the first place trophy today. Now second and third can have one as well ;)

Blinding. :rock

$100.00 from anon (just confirmed)

World of Grip

www.heavygrips.co.uk

www.londonkettlebells.com

John at Fat Bastard

Good stuff.

Shirts ordered with sponsor info on them. I MIGHT be able to order a few more if anyone wanted an extra one etc. Let me know before they start making them up (number and size). They will be £10.00 plus P&P.

You get one if you're competing. Do you want an extra one? Also I might NOT be able to get the print on the back now - they want an extra £4.00 which takes the shirts over what I'd need to pay.

Steve Gardener (Mobster)

Sam Solimi (CoC#3)

Neil Belcher (Twig)

Al Christie (Big Al)

Frederick Hope Coombs (coombsfh)

Paul Wood

Stewart Killick

David Horne

Richard Scott

Paul Savage

With just hours to go we add another face to our motley crew. :rock

Scott Roberts should have been included (I was waiting on his cheque to clear).

So 11 in total. No more names will be added.